Ask Preston & Child! discussion

Pendergast movies?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 197) (197 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (Clarity_89) | 6 comments I was wondering if there's gonna be any movie filmed by the Pendergast novels? If yes, who'd the authors like to see as an actor playing him? Maybe they have some ideas who could play other characters from the series?

P.S. I personally don't consider a 'Relic' movie as one of the Pendergast series, because it didn't feature Pendergast.

message 2: by Sezin (new)

Sezin Koehler | 1 comments I have wondered the same thing, Alex, although I'm not sure if I really want a Pendergast film to come to fruition. He is such a singular character, I can't imagine anyone doing his performance justice.

Then again, I suppose Johnny Depp would be perfect. He can be anyone, and the quirkier the better.

Great question! Looking forward to seeing the other responses that come up!

Best,

Sezin

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally | 4 comments Oh, I don't see Depp at all! I'm thinking someone taller and more erie-looking...am I off-base? I thought I remembered him being described as pale and almost gaunt-looking with dark hair...and what was it about his eyes...? something wild about them too.

And I would worry about them making a movie of the series...would it seem too much like a mission impossible movie? Those are fun, but Pendergast has so much depth to him, I agree with the previous poster that it would have to be an amazing performance!

message 4: by Marcsi (new)

Marcsi (MarcsiO) | 1 comments Good question!
Johnny Depp? I don't mind! :)
Gary Oldman?
Robert Downey,Jr?

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Curtis (JCurtis) | 2 comments When I read a Pendergast novel I picture his character to be something like that of "Colombo". Do your remember that detective? I think he was from the late 70's or early 80's. He was a good detective who always got his man (or woman). I guess I get this impression from the way Pendergast carry's himself, and always being so many move moves ahead of anyone else involved in the case. A most unique character. I have read most of the Pendergast novels and enjoyed them all.

message 6: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 1 comments Adrien Brody with bleached hair would be a good fit, I think.

message 7: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Pendergast ... hmmm. Johnny Depp CAN play anyone, but he'd have to bleach his hair, 'cause Pendergast has that super-pale blonde hair.

and I don't count "The Relic" either, since there was no Pendergast in the movie! I was really disappointed, when watching it again after having read the book, to realize that ... It's a good movie, but the screenwriter stripped out and/or changed so much it was almost unrecognizable! Moved it from New York to Chicago ... etc.

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Sally wrote: "Oh, I don't see Depp at all! I'm thinking someone taller and more erie-looking...am I off-base? I thought I remembered him being described as pale and almost gaunt-looking with dark hair...and wh..."

Tall, pale, silvery-blonde hair, extremely pale blue eyes ... this is off the top of my head, but I'm fairly sure I'm remembering that correctly.

message 9: by Maya (new)

Maya (Isiscat) | 14 comments What about Jason Isaacs - more recently seen as Lucius Mallfoy - he has that polished elegance, a flash of danger, those icy blue eyes, that agile grace of movement and a way about him that says there's way more there than meets the eye. A warm rich voice that would wrap itself beautifully around an upper crust New Orleans accent. When I read the novels he instantly comes to mind.

message 10: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Maya wrote: "What about Jason Isaacs - more recently seen as Lucius Mallfoy - he has that polished elegance, a flash of danger, those icy blue eyes, that agile grace of movement and a way about him that says th..."

He has the perfect look! GREAT choice!

message 11: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (MirandaMermaid) Maya wrote: "What about Jason Isaacs - more recently seen as Lucius Mallfoy."

PERFECT. He has the gravitas necessary too.

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Varuna wrote: "Maya wrote: "What about Jason Isaacs - more recently seen as Lucius Mallfoy."

PERFECT. He has the gravitas necessary too."

Ohyeah - I don't see Pendergast sneering often, but I do get the feeling that he very frequently gives long-suffering "look what I must deal with" looks, and I think Isaacs could do that just as well as a sneer!

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) I started discussing this with my husband, and, although he has never read the books and has no idea who Pendergast is, he suggested Hugh Laurie (currently on House, MD) - who is a voice artist and, with a little hair bleach (like Jason Isaacs) could fit the look even better - I think he has a better nose than Isaacs, too. But that's just me - I have a thing for noses ... LOL

Another that might work is Leonardo diCaprio (if one can work around the shortness); he has a good look for Pendergast, too.

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) OMG, JUDE LAW!!!! some hair bleach ... PERFECT ...

message 15: by Maya (new)

Maya (Isiscat) | 14 comments Actually the real question is whether they should make a movie at all. The Pendergast books are all about secrets and mystery - waiting for that one tidbit of detail so that something else can fall into place. There are layers upon layers of things interacting - intricate and subtle. And some of the story lines take books to develop and bring to fruition. That's one of the things I love about this series. Any Hollywood movie will flatten out the characters and dumb down the plot to the point where all the noise would drown out any hope of dialogue or story. Look at the train wreck that they made of Sherlock Holmes. The very joy of Pendergast is that he is NOT some kind of pretty boy action figure with a gimic and a fast car. It would take an exceptional director to fulfill the promise of the books.

message 16: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Oh, yeah, Maya, I won't argue that - too many movies are just ... bleck. But I think with a bleach job, Jude Law would look perfect as Pendergast - that combination of suave and smexy, as they say :-)

message 17: by Sally (new)

Sally | 4 comments Jason Isaacs hits it for me...what a great suggestion.

message 18: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Sally wrote: "Jason Isaacs hits it for me...what a great suggestion."

I thought so, too, until I went looking at various pictures and came up with the others ...

You know what, though? If this were the 70s, or even early 1980s, I'd say ... Rutger Hauer ... Huh?? HUH?? 'course he wouldn't work now, more's the pity, but he definitely had the look, back in the day ...

message 19: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 1 comments Paul Bettany. "Priest" and "A Beautiful Mind", alongside others. Or, Alexander Skarsgard. Which is how I truly see him in my head, but more pale and ghostly looking. :) I really hope they do up some movies and actually do him justice.

message 20: by Mallory (new)

Mallory O'Meara (lycanthropology) I second Paul Bettany!

message 21: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 2 comments Alexander Skarsgard, the vampire from True Blood, definitely

message 22: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Joyce wrote: "Alexander Skarsgard, the vampire from True Blood, definitely"

I like his look, and for a young Pendergast, definitely - but isn't Pendergast supposed to be in his 40s? Skarsgard looks 20s ... *shrug*

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam wolfe (pwolfe) | 2 comments Alex the RELIC is the 1st Pendergast book/movie that is what got me hooked ( also the monster part cause i love creature features )

message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam wolfe (pwolfe) | 2 comments what bout the guy who played the "dad" in Twilight series" cant think of his name. he is blonde and really pale and that and so looks like pendergast already also thin!

message 25: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1 comments How about Donald Sutherland? Tall, blonde, sexy voice. I think he would be perfect!!

message 26: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 2 comments Well, if we're going to that generation, I would suggest Christopher Walken

message 27: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Joyce wrote: "Well, if we're going to that generation, I would suggest Christopher Walken"

Well, except Christopher Walken - while he does have the appropriate build - would need a serious dye job and some contacts ... :-) But, hey, who doesn't love Walken? He's the bomb, as the kids say ...

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane Fisli | 189 comments I love the idea of Paul Bettany as AXLP. I think he could be gaunt and elegant, and I think he could successfully wrap his teeth around that wonderful southern Louisiana upper crust drawl with ease. The man is a chameleon - forget what you've seen him do, he can do AXLP and do him well.

I love some of the other suggestions too - Keep them coming! :)

message 29: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Wrobbel | 117 comments Some of the above actors are too old.
Pendergast is about 41.
In a few years I nominate Laurence
Fox,a Brit actor appearing in the
series called LEWIS.
He is tall ,thin,blonde and wears black
suits. Very bright with a sexy voice.

message 30: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Joyce wrote: "Some of the above actors are too old.
Pendergast is about 41.
In a few years I nominate Laurence
Fox,a Brit actor appearing in the
series called LEWIS.
He is tall ,thin,blonde and wears black
suits..."

Well, sure they are... doesn't mean we couldn't consider them, at least in our mind's eyes ... LOL

message 31: by Lincoln (new)

Lincoln Child | 7 comments Alex wrote: "I was wondering if there's gonna be any movie filmed by the Pendergast novels? If yes, who'd the authors like to see as an actor playing him? Maybe they have some ideas who could play other charact..."

We've probably been asked this question for twenty years--ever since Pendergast got left on the cutting room floor in the initial movie. Funny how the suggested names change over the years. Christopher Walker was certainly my own choice early on. Now I personally lean more toward Johnny Depp... Lincoln C.

message 32: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Preston | 38 comments One of the problems with a Pendergast film is that Paramount Pictures controls the movie rights to his character. Even though he was cut from the movie, they bought the rights to the book, which gave them control. So the only studio that could make a Pendergast movie is Paramount, and so far they haven't shown any interest...

message 33: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Preston | 38 comments As for an actor to play Pendergast, that's a hard one. I see him so clearly in my mind's eye that no one matches, except Christopher Walken, as Linc mentioned above--a young Walken. Depp has the range. At one point I also thought a younger Morgan Freeman would be good. He had the class and poise to be Pendergast...

message 34: by Catz (new)

Catz | 2 comments Paul Bettany (the actor who played the albino on the Da Vinci Code) will be perfect for the Pendergast character. He looks like a pale undertaker once he wears a suit.

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane Fisli | 189 comments Douglas wrote: "As for an actor to play Pendergast ... a young Walken. Depp has the range. At one point I also thought a younger Morgan Freeman would be good. He had the class and poise to be Pendergast... "

I love the idea of Depp, because as you say, he has the range. I can see it easily.

A younger Walken? Oh yeah... And a younger Morgan Freeman? Absolutely beautiful.

From now on I'm going to be picturing a combo of Depp and Freeman... I suppose the direction to Depp would be to act like Morgan Freeman. LOL!

Thanks for the insight, gents! :)

message 36: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Preston | 38 comments Maybe we should organize a letter writing campaign to Paramount: "Make a Pendergast film!"

message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex (Clarity_89) | 6 comments Thanks for your answers! And yeah, to organise a writing campaign is a good idea!

message 38: by Rich (new)

Rich (RichKlinzman) | 4 comments Just my opinion but I would love to see the Pendergast stories done on Showtime with a crew as equally talented as those doing Dexter. It would be a better form having so much more time to develop the characters and plot lines.

message 39: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Rich wrote: "Just my opinion but I would love to see the Pendergast stories done on Showtime with a crew as equally talented as those doing Dexter. It would be a better form having so much more time to develop ..."

I quite agree - doesn't necessarily need to be Showtime, but each book would require a mini-series to get it done "right" - does Paramount only hold the rights to "Relic," or all of them? I always felt that the feature film is too limited to truly create the necessary book-to-movie ideal; movies like "Kill Bill" that broke up into constituent parts are making it better, helping people to think outside the "2-hour limitation," but ... *shrug* I hope you get what I'm trying to say - my brain shut down just now for some reason ...

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane Fisli | 189 comments Douglas wrote: "Maybe we should organize a letter writing campaign to Paramount: "Make a Pendergast film!""

People who read usually write the BEST LETTERS!!!

message 41: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany A short letter to Paramount:

"If you want to make $100 million opening weekend, make a Pendergast movie with Pendergast in it."

Probably not convincing enough. How about $200 million? :-P

message 42: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) ALL PENDERGAST, ALL THE TIME!!! LOL Although I do like what's-his-name, the dude who works for NYPD ... gaaahh! Help me, someone!! Too lazy to lean over and grab the stack of books to refresh my memory, even though they're all just RIGHT THERE *points to the messy stack just over an arm's length to the left*

message 43: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Rich wrote: "Just my opinion but I would love to see the Pendergast stories done on Showtime with a crew as equally talented as those doing Dexter. It would be a better form having so much more time to develop ..."

I completely agree! Or even HBO. It's the perfect format for such a long series like Pendergast.

message 44: by Diane (new)

Diane Fisli | 189 comments Katy wrote: "ALL PENDERGAST, ALL THE TIME!!! LOL Although I do like what's-his-name, the dude who works for NYPD ... gaaahh! Help me, someone!! Too lazy to lean over and grab the stack of books to refresh m..."

Vincent D'Agosta. They promoted him, so he's a lieutenant now. ;)

message 45: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Diane wrote: "Katy wrote: "ALL PENDERGAST, ALL THE TIME!!! LOL Although I do like what's-his-name, the dude who works for NYPD ... gaaahh! Help me, someone!! Too lazy to lean over and grab the stack of books..."

Right - Vinnie ... I like that dude, too. He's a great "side-kick" for Pendergast ... such a perfect "odd couple"

message 46: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Wrobbel | 117 comments When I mention that some of the actors
being too old I thouht Donald
Sutherland?
He must be 75 by now!
OK maybe 70.

message 47: by Rich (new)

Rich (RichKlinzman) | 4 comments How long does Paramount have the rights to Pendergast? I think they are too incompetent to be trusted to keep the rights. What is the point when they do nothing about it? I hope Douglas and Lincoln never sign another contract with them.

message 48: by NikNak (last edited Sep 10, 2011 05:23PM) (new)

NikNak | 3 comments I am a brand new fan of the Pendergast novels. I recently found the series with my new kindle, and I have been hooked since page 1 of Relic. I would love for these to become movies. My husband is too lazy to read, but is really interested in the plots. (I have to share them, because keeping them to myself just seems wrong! LOL.)He has taken to asking me, "What is happening now?" as I am reading! I have to say that my favorite Pendergast actor suggestions listed so far on this board are: 1. Paul Bettany (I love this suggestion, think of the range from A Beautiful Mind to A Knight's Tale to The Davinci Code, etc!) and 2. Peter Facinelli (The look is right on, and the "Keep it cool. Aloofness. Maturity. Intelligence" has all been shown by this actor in Twilight. The concern would be the ability to become anyone other than "the twilight dad" in a movie viewer's mind.) Just my thoughts on the subject.

message 49: by Melody (new)

Melody (HoudinisMom) | 65 comments Sezin wrote: "I have wondered the same thing, Alex, although I'm not sure if I really want a Pendergast film to come to fruition. He is such a singular character, I can't imagine anyone doing his performance jus..."

I think you have a good point. If Robert Downy Jr can pull off a believable Sherlock Holmes then Depp would be Perfect for P's character. I just watched the Secret Window and I think Depp could bring P's quirky
personality to life.

message 50: by Melody (new)

Melody (HoudinisMom) | 65 comments Lincoln wrote: "Alex wrote: "I was wondering if there's gonna be any movie filmed by the Pendergast novels? If yes, who'd the authors like to see as an actor playing him? Maybe they have some ideas who could play ..."

Joyce wrote: "Well, if we're going to that generation, I would suggest Christopher Walken"

In my minds eye I can see P as a man that does age. Maybe Depp for the young P and Walkin as the mature P?????

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread