The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP FALL 2011 > 20.3 Best Review - Amanda VA's task: Music Around the Fire

Comments (showing 1-35)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 35: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Ok thanks.

message 34: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Could I use The curious incident of the dog in the night-time for "triple time" even though it's hyphenated?

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan Storz | 421 comments Would "Skipping a Beat", count, as a "beat" can be a musical term?

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 540 comments Amanda, would you accept the word "ballad" as a musical term? I'd like to use the book The Ballad of Tom Dooley  A Novel (Appalachian Ballad) by Sharyn McCrumb The Ballad of Tom Dooley: A Novel

message 31: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 131 comments Thanks!

message 30: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 131 comments Would Crescendo work for a musical term?

message 29: by Terri UK (new)

Terri UK (Territhemuse) | 156 comments Amanda wrote: "Terri UK wrote: "Would clapping work as a musical term? I was looking to fit this book in Little Hands Clapping."

You know, I wasn't going to accept it but then I did a quick You T..."

Cool, thanks, and thanks for the video link!

message 28: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 404 comments Great! Thanks!

message 27: by mstan (new)

mstan | 833 comments Hello Amanda, would the word 'notes' work? I am thinking of reading Notes on a Scandal.

message 26: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 404 comments Will you take Bel Canto? Wikipedia lists bel canto as an Italian style of opera singing, and one of the characters is, in fact, an Italian opera singer.

message 25: by Cindie (new)

Cindie Harp | 962 comments 5.2 I live in the US, and I read a book set in Iran: Rooftops of TehranMahbod Seraji is a *** Goodreads author ***

total points: 35
books read: 4
GR authors: 2
pages read: 1648
Tasks completed: 3

message 24: by Terri UK (new)

Terri UK (Territhemuse) | 156 comments Would clapping work as a musical term? I was looking to fit this book in Little Hands Clapping.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul (metshaft) | 98 comments yay, thanks.

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul (metshaft) | 98 comments ...or Jazz? Blue Like Jazz  Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller ?

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul (metshaft) | 98 comments does the musical term have to appear on the list? I want to use a book with "bridge" in the title.

message 20: by Terri Suzie (new)

Terri Suzie (TerriSA-UK) | 216 comments How about an unfinished violin?

The Auschwitz Violin by Maria ?ngels Anglada

message 19: by Hettie (new)

Hettie | 131 comments How about Second Term at Trebizon (Puffin Books) by Anne Digby for b

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Is Stella Cameron's book - A Grave Mistake acceptable? (Grave is on the list)

message 17: by Liora (new)

Liora (chinquapin) Would The Bells: A Novel The Bells  A Novel by Richard Harvell work for a title with a musical instrument.

message 16: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1711 comments Does the word music work? Musicology is on the list.

Loves Music, Loves to Dance by Mary Higgins Clark.

Thanks

message 15: by Katy (new)

Katy | 343 comments Does A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan work for part B?

message 14: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Amanda wrote: "Meghan- yep!

Randi- plurals are cool, that works"

Thank you!

message 13: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Would The Nymphos of Rocky Flats work for Option A, the word "flat"? Just want to make sure. :) Thanks!

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I think I will use Lock and Key for KEY?

message 11: by Amanda B. (new)

Amanda B. | 115 comments Nevermind I think I'll plug in The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope #2) by Scott Mariani for option B instead.

message 10: by Amanda B. (new)

Amanda B. | 115 comments This might be stretching it but what about The Chamber using the glossery term "Chamber Music"

message 9: by Fran (new)

Fran | 706 comments Amanda wrote: "Fran wrote: "Does Lips Touch: Three Times work for "time"?"

Yep"

great, thanks!

message 8: by Fran (new)

Fran | 706 comments Does Lips Touch: Three Times work for "time"?

message 7: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 553 comments The word "and" appears in "Relative major and minor" but I'm guessing that doesn't count...?

message 6: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (Sophronisba) Will My New American Life  A Novel by Francine Prose work for option B?

message 5: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 531 comments Would a partial instrument work? The Musician's Daughter by Susanne Dunlap

I'd say that's about 3/4 of the violin

message 4: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Thanks!

message 3: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments So I could use Love in the Time of Cholera for the musical phrase triple time?

BTW I love this task!

message 2: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 9216 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Sep 05, 2011 01:29PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 9216 comments Mod
20.3 Best Review - Amanda VA's task: Music Around the Fire

One of my favorite childhood memories is of my dad hanging out with his friends around a bonfire on cool autumn nights, playing his guitar. I would stay outside as late as they would let me, slapping mosquitoes and listening to him strum. In keeping with this special musical memory,

Read one book from option A OR one book from option B.

Option A. Read a book with a musical instrument or a musical term in the title and/or subtitle. This list may help: Music Glossary Examples: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Song of Solomon, Player Piano.
Multi-word phrases like "song cycle" can be used as the word "song" or "cycle". Terms derived from foreign languages: "a cappella" and "da capo" must be used whole. Plurals and possessives are okay, but no other variations or compound words.
or
Option B. Read a book with a musical instrument or an image of musical performance (playing an instrument, singing, musical conducting, etc.) on the cover. For this task, dancing does NOT count. Examples:

Air Guitar  Essays on Art & Democracy by Dave Hickey Fender Benders by Bill Fitzhugh Shoot the Piano Player by David Goodis Frank Sinatra  An American Legend by Nancy Sinatra

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Air Guitar: Essays on Art and Democracy (other topics)
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (other topics)
Song of Solomon (other topics)
Fender Benders (other topics)
Shoot the Piano Player (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mahbod Seraji (other topics)