Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 5557 comments Post any books set in Italy here.

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Oct 02, 2011 08:52PM) (new)

Diane | 5557 comments Books set in Italy: (This thread is currently under construction)

The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di LampedusaThe Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo CalvinoIf on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto EcoFoucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
The Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliThe Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli
Tausend Tage in Venedig. Eine Romanze mit Rezepten. by Marlena De BlasiA Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena De Blasi
The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries, #1) by Andrea CamilleriThe Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri
The Decameron by Giovanni BoccaccioThe Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
The Baron in the Trees by Italo CalvinoThe Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino
Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances MayesUnder the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1) by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan Brown
The Birth of Venus by Sarah DunantThe Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
A Room With a View by E.M. ForsterA Room With a View by E.M. Forster
The Imperfectionists by Tom RachmanThe Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareRomeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
The Thief Lord by Cornelia FunkeThe Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest HemingwayA Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving StoneThe Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone
The Merchant of Venice (Folger Shakespeare Library) by William ShakespeareThe Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
Ciao Bella by Gina BuonaguroCiao Bella by Gina Buonaguro
Playing For Pizza  by John GrishamPlaying For Pizza by John Grisham
The English Patient by Michael OndaatjeThe English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
The Divine Comedy by Dante AlighieriThe Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
The City of Falling Angels by John BerendtThe City of Falling Angels by John Berendt
The Monster of Florence by Douglas PrestonThe Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston
Juliet by Anne FortierJuliet by Anne Fortier
In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah DunantIn the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant
Galileo's Daughter  A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love  by Dava SobelGalileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love by Dava Sobel
Pompeii by Robert HarrisPompeii by Robert Harris
The Last Days of Pompeii by Edward George Bulwer-LyttonThe Last Days of Pompeii by Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti #1) by Donna LeonDeath at La Fenice by Donna Leon (1st book of series set in Italy)
Bella Tuscany by Frances MayesBella Tuscany by Frances Mayes
Brunelleschi's Dome  How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture by Ross KingBrunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture by Ross King
Sacred Hearts by Sarah DunantSacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant
A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria RussellA Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell
I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne KalogridisI, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis
The Borgia Bride by Jeanne KalogridisThe Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis
Lucrezia Borgia by Maria BellonciLucrezia Borgia by Maria Bellonci
The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von ArnimThe Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim
Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. ForsterWhere Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster
Gomorrah by Roberto SavianoGomorrah by Roberto Saviano
A Thousand Days in Tuscany by Marlena De BlasiA Thousand Days in Tuscany by Marlena De Blasi
The Second Duchess by Elizabeth LoupasThe Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas
The Glassblower of Murano by Marina FioratoThe Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato
Christ Stopped at Eboli  The Story of a Year by Carlo LeviChrist Stopped at Eboli: The Story of a Year by Carlo Levi
The House Of Medici  Its Rise And Fall by Christopher HibbertThe House Of Medici: Its Rise And Fall by Christopher Hibbert
Julius Caesar (Folger Shakespeare Library) by William ShakespeareJulius Caesar by William Shakespeare
I, Claudius by Robert GravesI, Claudius by Robert Graves (1st book in series)
The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo GiordanoThe Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano
Very Valentine by Adriana TrigianiVery Valentine by Adriana Trigiani
The Aeneid by VirgilThe Aeneid by Virgil
The Enchantress of Florence by Salman RushdieThe Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie
Italian Folktales by Italo CalvinoItalian Folktales by Italo Calvino
The Sixteen Pleasures by Robert HellengaThe Sixteen Pleasures by Robert Hellenga
I'm Not Scared by Niccolò AmmanitiI'm Not Scared by Niccolò Ammaniti
The Dark Heart of Italy by Tobias JonesThe Dark Heart of Italy by Tobias Jones
Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross KingMichelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King
Mistress of Rome by Kate QuinnMistress of Rome by Kate Quinn
The Garden of the Finzi-Continis (Penguin Modern Classics) by Giorgio BassaniThe Garden of the Finzi-Continis by Giorgio Bassani
The Passion of Artemisia by Susan VreelandThe Passion of Artemisia by Susan Vreeland
Heat  An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill BufordHeat by Bill Buford
Poison (The Poisoner Mysteries, #1) by Sara PoolePoison by Sara Poole
Roma  The Novel of Ancient Rome by Steven SaylorRoma: The Novel of Ancient Rome by Steven Saylor
The Savage Garden by Mark MillsThe Savage Garden by Mark Mills
The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle NewmarkThe Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark
The Botticelli Secret by Marina FioratoThe Botticelli Secret by Marina Fiorato
The Rossetti Letter by Christi PhillipsThe Rossetti Letter by Christi Phillips
The Night Villa by Carol GoodmanThe Night Villa by Carol Goodman
The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo CalvinoThe Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino
The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto EcoThe Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco
The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome, #1) by Colleen McCulloughThe First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough
That Summer In Sicily by Marlena De BlasiThat Summer In Sicily by Marlena De Blasi
A Summer in Sicily by G.C. DallasA Summer in Sicily by G.C. Dallas
Excursion to Tindari  An Inspector Montalbano Mystery by Andrea CamilleriExcursion to Tindari: An Inspector Montalbano Mystery by Andrea Camilleri
Lucrezia Borgia  Life, Love, and Death in Renaissance Italy by Sarah BradfordLucrezia Borgia: Life, Love, and Death in Renaissance Italy by Sarah Bradford
Lucrezia Borgia  A Novel by John FaunceLucrezia Borgia: A Novel by John Faunce
The Scarlet Contessa  A Novel of the Italian Renaissance by Jeanne KalogridisThe Scarlet Contessa: A Novel of the Italian Renaissance by Jeanne Kalogridis
Death in Venice by Thomas MannDeath in Venice by Thomas Mann
A History of Venice by John Julius NorwichA History of Venice by John Julius Norwich
Murder of a Medici Princess by Caroline P. MurphyMurder of a Medici Princess by Caroline P. Murphy
Ratking (Aurelio Zen 01) by Michael DibdinRatking by Michael Dibdin
La Bella Lingua  My Love Affair with Italian, the World's Most Enchanting Language by Dianne HalesLa Bella Lingua: My Love Affair with Italian, the World's Most Enchanting Language by Dianne Hales
The Daughter of Siena by Marina FioratoThe Daughter of Siena by Marina Fiorato
Italian Neighbors  Or, a Lapsed Anglo-Saxon in Verona by Tim ParksItalian Neighbors: Or, a Lapsed Anglo-Saxon in Verona by Tim Parks
The Two Gentlemen of Verona (Folger Shakespeare Library) by William ShakespeareThe Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Shakespeare
The Food of Love by Anthony CapellaThe Food of Love by Anthony Capella
La Bella Figura  A Field Guide to the Italian Mind by Beppe SevergniniLa Bella Figura: A Field Guide to the Italian Mind by Beppe Severgnini
Baudolino by Umberto EcoBaudolino by Umberto Eco
The Italians   A Full-Length Portrait Featuring Their Manners and Morals by Luigi BarziniThe Italians: A Full-Length Portrait Featuring Their Manners and Morals by Luigi Barzini
In Tuscany by Frances MayesIn Tuscany by Frances Mayes
Blameless (The Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
The Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey WallaceThe Blind Contessa's New Machine by Carey Wallace
A Venetian Affair by Andrea Di RobilantA Venetian Affair by Andrea Di Robilant
Bread and Wine by Ignazio SiloneBread and Wine by Ignazio Silone
Die italienische Affäre. Roman. by Laura FraserAn Italian Affair by Laura Fraser
The Lady in the Palazzo  At Home in Umbria by Marlena De BlasiThe Lady in the Palazzo: At Home in Umbria by Marlena De Blasi
Zeno's Conscience by Italo SvevoZeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo
Daughters of Rome by Kate QuinnDaughters of Rome by Kate Quinn
The Talented Mr Ripley  (Ripley, #1)(Vintage Classics) by Patricia HighsmithThe Talented Mr Ripley (Ripley, #1) by Patricia Highsmith
The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy by Jacob BurckhardtThe Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy by Jacob Burckhardt
A Soldier of the Great War by Mark HelprinA Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin

message 3: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Oct 02, 2011 08:52PM) (new)

Diane | 5557 comments More to come!

message 4: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 5557 comments Placeholder

dely | 341 comments Marianne wrote: "My father's family comes from Basilicata. A good read on this section of Italy is Seasons in Basilicata  A Year in a Southern Italian Hill Village by David YeadonSeasons in Basilicata: A Year i..."

Do you read also in Italian?
Perhaps you may be interested in books about Basilicata like:
In viaggio con zio Lorenzo by Terenzio Bove
Il sangue del Sud. Antistoria del Risorgimento e del brigantaggio by Giordano Bruno Guerri
Come divenni brigante by Carmine Crocco (a very famous brigant from Basilicata who fought against the unification of Italy).

If I will remember other books set in Basilicata I will tell you (if you want).

dely | 341 comments Marianne wrote: "Dely-- Sadly I neither read nor speak Italian ( a story in itself ). But thanks for the recommends. Sometimes I can follow along with computer translators :)

I am intetested in any books on Basili..."

I really feel so little Italian in these moments because I don't read Italian literature :/

For Sicily you could give a try to Andrea Camilleri but I am sure you already know him.
For Naples you could try Pina Varriale but her only book who was translated is All but one.
If you try to read "In viaggio con zio Lorenzo" in Italian I am sure you will like it much more than I did. It talks about a trip in Val d'Agri (Potenza) and in the book there are also a couple of recipes.

LindaD (freedom333) | 223 comments From the Land of the Moon by Milena Agus From the Land of the Moon by Milena Agus

didn't see this listed, forgive me if I missed it

Micaela | 16 comments I've just finished Amour de ma vie by Guy des Cars. It is set in Italy( Roma, Milan, Rapallo) and I really liked it

Jim O'Shea | 2 comments "the linen god" (Jim O'Shea/Wayside Press)

Three grisly murders thrust best friends Grace Barden and Manny Lusum into a generations-old conspiracy of biblical proportions. From New York to Rome to the inner sanctum of the Vatican, Manny and Grace untangle a bizarre mystery surrounding the controversial Shroud of Turin. Their discovery could alter the course of human history—if they live to tell it.

To see a sample chapter of this new thriller, and/or add "the linen god" to your "Want to read list", visit

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 15: by Sarah (last edited Apr 29, 2013 07:41PM) (new)

Sarah | 495 comments I was wondering if maybe these were for Italy: |The Shoemaker's Wife and Beautiful Ruins

Uri Norwich Uri Norwich
Hi everyone,
I came to this group at someone’s suggestion at another forum I participate at Goodreads, thinking that I could introduce some unusual angle to your discussions.
Although my new novel “Russian Jews Don’t Cry” is not a travel book, don’t be fooled by its title. I was torn at the beginning where to put this thread, and finally decided that it would rightfully belong to two places: “Books Set In Europe – Italy” and “In Russia.”
The story is written as told by a young man in his twenties bouncing as a loose boat around the world, trying to find his place in it. He hits the biggest jackpot of his life and lets it go away so easy.
The events are taking place in mid-70s-80s when the United States managed to trade hundreds of thousands of Soviet Jews for grain. The road to the “promised land” was laid out for them through Italy. It wasn’t a simple coincident or luck. Half of the book (688 pages) takes place in Italy. However, the protagonist is undergoing through many transformations on the way, influenced by events and places surrounding him. And yet, his own memories and his family's past in Russia constantly intertwine with reality.
I had lived in Italy for four years and speak decent Italian and Russian. That helped me to get deep into describing many places and people which protagonist encounters on his journey, working as a tour guide for a while too. If you’d like to discover untraveled corners of Italy and Russia, and get on the way some taste of Israel, Turkey, China and Japan, it might be worth your time to explore this book.
Respectfully, Uri Norwich

Christine | 1 comments Bagheria

and everything else by Dacia Maraini!

Sanne (sanne7788) | 13 comments Emmaus by Alessandro BariccoEmmaus by Alessandro Baricco - a wonderful book about growing up in a small Italian village.

The Scarlet City by Hella S. HaasseThe Scarlet City by Hella S. Haasse - historical fiction set in 16th century Italy and the Vatican.