Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 5431 comments Post any books set in Poland here.

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Jan 04, 2012 03:47PM) (new)

Diane | 5431 comments Books set in Poland: (This thread currently under construction)

Ferdydurke by Witold GombrowiczFerdydurke by Witold Gombrowicz
The Street of Crocodiles (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) by Bruno SchulzThe Street of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz
The Pianist  The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939-45 by Władysław SzpilmanThe Pianist: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Survival by Władysław Szpilman
The Painted Bird by Jerzy KosińskiThe Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosiński
This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz BorowskiThis Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski
The Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane AckermanThe Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
The Kommandant's Girl by Pam JenoffThe Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff
Night   by Elie WieselNight by Elie Wiesel
The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise MurphyThe True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy
Briar Rose by Jane YolenBriar Rose by Jane Yolen
Poland by James A. MichenerPoland by James A. Michener
Once by Morris GleitzmanOnce by Morris Gleitzman (1st book in series)
22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson
With Fire and Sword by Henryk SienkiewiczWith Fire and Sword by Henryk Sienkiewicz (1st book in trilogy)
The Captive Mind by Czesław MiłoszThe Captive Mind by Czesław Miłosz
Milkweed by Jerry SpinelliMilkweed by Jerry Spinelli
The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane YolenThe Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
The Doll by Bolesław PrusThe Doll by Bolesław Prus
Mila 18 by Leon UrisMila 18 by Leon Uris
Push Not the River by James Conroyd MartinPush Not the River by James Conroyd Martin
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid PasulkaA Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka
Anya by Susan Fromberg SchaefferAnya by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer
The Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. KellyThe Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelly
The Sanatorium under the Sign of the Hourglass (Writers from the Other Europe) by Bruno SchulzThe Sanatorium under the Sign of the Hourglass by Bruno Schulz
Rising '44  The Battle for Warsaw by Norman DaviesRising '44: The Battle for Warsaw by Norman Davies
Warsaw Rising (Politics in Action, #5) by Gunther DeschnerWarsaw Rising by Gunther Deschner
A World Apart by Gustaw Herling-GrudzińskiA World Apart by Gustaw Herling-Grudziński
Dom dzienny, dom nocny by Olga TokarczukHouse of Day, House of Night by Olga Tokarczuk
The Beautiful Mrs. Seidenman by Andrzej SzczypiorskiThe Beautiful Mrs. Seidenman by Andrzej Szczypiorski
The Emperor of Lies by Steve Sem-SandbergThe Emperor of Lies: A Novel by Steve Sem-Sandberg
Madame by Antoni LiberaMadame by Antoni Libera
Insatiability by Stanisław Ignacy WitkiewiczInsatiability by Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz
Cosmos by Witold GombrowiczCosmos by Witold Gombrowicz
Kamienie na szaniec by Aleksander KamińskiKamienie na szaniec by Aleksander Kamiński
All But My Life  A Memoir by Gerda Weissmann KleinAll But My Life: A Memoir by Gerda Weissmann Klein
The History of Love by Nicole KraussThe History of Love by Nicole Krauss
The Tin Drum by Günter GrassThe Tin Drum by Günter Grass (1st book in trilogy)
Ordinary Men  Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland by Christopher R. BrowningOrdinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 by Christopher R. Browning
Schindler's List by Thomas KeneallySchindler's List by Thomas Keneally
Survival in Auschwitz by Primo LeviSurvival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi
Skeletons at the Feast by Chris BohjalianSkeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian
The Cyberiad  Fables for the Cybernetic Age by Stanisław LemThe Cyberiad: Fables for the Cybernetic Age by Stanisław Lem
Yellow Star by Jennifer RoyYellow Star by Jennifer Roy
In My Father's Court by Isaac Bashevis SingerIn My Father's Court by Isaac Bashevis Singer
The Spies of Warsaw (Night Soldiers, #10) by Alan FurstThe Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst
Pan Tadeusz by Adam MickiewiczPan Tadeusz by Adam Mickiewicz
The Slave by Isaac Bashevis SingerThe Slave by Isaac Bashevis Singer
In My Hands  Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene OpdykeIn My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Opdyke
Shosha by Isaac Bashevis SingerShosha: A Novel by Isaac Bashevis Singer
Dziady (Forefathers' Eve, Dresden Text) by Adam MickiewiczForefathers' Eve by Adam Mickiewicz
Imperium by Ryszard KapuścińskiImperium by Ryszard Kapuściński
The Polish Officer (Night Soldiers, #3) by Alan FurstThe Polish Officer by Alan Furst
Fragments by Binjamin WilkomirskiFragments by Binjamin Wilkomirski
The Cap  The Price of a Life by Roman FristerThe Cap: The Price of a Life byRoman Frister
The Auschwitz Kommandant  A Daughter's Search for the Father She Never Knew by Barbara U. CherishThe Auschwitz Kommandant: A Daughter's Search for the Father She Never Knew
The Bronski House by Philip MarsdenThe Bronski House by Philip Marsden
Dry Tears  The Story of a Lost Childhood by Nechama TecDry Tears: The Story of a Lost Childhood by Nechama Tec
Gertruda's Oath  A Child, a Promise, and a Heroic Escape During World War II by Ram OrenGertruda's Oath: A Child, a Promise, and a Heroic Escape During World War II by Ram Oren
The Girl in the Red Coat by Roma LigockaThe Girl in the Red Coat by Roma Ligocka
If This Is a Man / The Truce by Primo LeviIf This Is a Man / The Truce by Primo Levi
Girl Nobody by Tomek TryznaGirl Nobody by Tomek Tryzna (AKA "Miss Nobody")
My Two Polish Grandfathers  And Other Essays on the Imaginative Life by Witold RybczynskiMy Two Polish Grandfathers: And Other Essays by Witold Rybczynski
Mosaic  A Chronicle of Five Generations by Diane ArmstrongMosaic: A Chronicle of Five Generations by Diane Armstrong
Malenka. by Irina KorschunowMalenka by Irina Korschunow
Death in Breslau by Marek KrajewskiDeath in Breslau by Marek Krajewski
Breslau Forever by Andrzej ZiemiańskiBreslau Forever by Andrzej Ziemiański
Phantoms of Breslau (Eberhard Mock Investigation 3) by Marek KrajewskiPhantoms of Breslau by Marek Krajewski
The Polski Affair by Leon H GildinThe Polski Affair by Leon H Gildin
God's Playground  A History of Poland, Vol. 2  1795 to the Present by Norman DaviesGod's Playground: A History of Poland by Norman Davies
Sala's Gift  My Mother's Holocaust Story  by Ann KirschnerSala's Gift: My Mother's Holocaust Story by Ann Kirschner
Kamień na kamieniu by Wiesław MyśliwskiStone Upon Stone by Wiesław Myśliwski
Until We Meet Again  A True Story of Love and Survival in the Holocaust by Michael KorenblitUntil We Meet Again: A True Story of Love and Survival in the Holocaust by Michael Korenblit

message 3: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 5431 comments Placeholder

K. What about some Stefan Grabiński

Magda (magini666) | 10 comments some fantasy books set in poland: Podatek by Milena Wójtowicz Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1) by Andrzej Pilipiuk Nocarz (Nocarz, #1) by Magdalena Kozak
a bit of romance: Smak świeżych malin (Owocowa Trylogia, #1) by Izabela Sowa
and: Berek (Kroniki nierówności #1) by Marcin Szczygielski

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) Death in Danzig by Stefan Chwin

(although I am still griping that they used the German version of the city name in the translation, and not the Polish Gdansk)

Fliss Blanch | 43 comments Alicja wrote: "Death in Danzig by Stefan Chwin

(although I am still griping that they used the German version of the city name in the translation, and not the Polish Gdansk)"

I haven't read the book but could it be that the book is set in the era of when it was known as Danzig?

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) Fliss wrote: "Alicja wrote: "Death in Danzig by Stefan Chwin

(although I am still griping that they used the German version of the city name in the translation, and not the Polish Gdansk)"

I haven't read the b..."

Set in 1945, right after WWII after the war and defeat of Nazi Germany. It is just a pet peeve of mine... My American co-worker came to me showing off that they were reading a book about Poland, it was this book. Then he asked me how far Danzig was from my hometown. *facepalm* It is the same city, Gdańsk and Danzig, just two different names. Plus, I think Gdańsk is prettier and that is how she should be known. :)

Fliss Blanch | 43 comments Ok fair enough.

Kama (Okama) | 11 comments Michelle Granas "Zaremba..."