Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Books Set in Asia > Philippines

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 5559 comments Post any books set in the Philippines here.

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Jan 04, 2012 09:34AM) (new)

Diane | 5559 comments Books set in the Philippines:

Ilustrado by Miguel SyjucoIlustrado: A Novel by Miguel Syjuco
Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not)  by José RizalNoli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not) by José Rizal
Dogeaters by Jessica HagedornDogeaters by Jessica Hagedorn
The Reign of Greed by José RizalThe Reign of Greed by José Rizal (aka Subversion)
Dream Jungle by Jessica HagedornDream Jungle by Jessica Hagedorn
Anochecer (Littera) by F. Sionil JoséDusk: A Novel by F. Sionil José (1st of series set in Philippines)
The Gangster of Love by Jessica HagedornThe Gangster of Love by Jessica Hagedorn
Ermita  A Filipino Novel by F. Sionil JoséErmita: A Filipino Novel by F. Sionil José
The Woman Who Had Two Navels (Filipino Literary Classics) by Nick JoaquínThe Woman Who Had Two Navels by Nick Joaquín
When the Elephants Dance by Tess Uriza HoltheWhen the Elephants Dance by Tess Uriza Holthe
Before Ever After by Samantha SottoBefore Ever After by Samantha Sotto
The Last Time I Saw Mother by Arlene J. ChaiThe Last Time I Saw Mother by Arlene J. Chai
The Tesseract by Alex GarlandThe Tesseract by Alex Garland
Cryptonomicon by Neal StephensonCryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
Diwata (American Poets Continuum) by Barbara Jane ReyesDiwata by Barbara Jane Reyes
To the Brink (Bodyguard, #3) by Cindy GerardTo the Brink by Cindy Gerard
Pacific Rims  Beermen Ballin' in Flip-Flops and the Philippines' Unlikely Love Affair with Basketball by Rafe BartholomewPacific Rims by Rafe Bartholomew
Just A Kiss Away by Jill BarnettJust A Kiss Away by Jill Barnett
In Our Image  America's Empire in the Philippines by Stanley KarnowIn Our Image: America's Empire in the Philippines by Stanley Karnow
Viajero  a Filipino Novel by F. Sionil JoséViajero: a Filipino Novel by F. Sionil José
And the Word Came with Power  How God Met and Changed a People Forever by Joanne ShetlerAnd the Word Came with Power by Joanne Shetler
Makamisa  The Search for Rizal's Third Novel by Ambeth OcampoMakamisa: The Search for Rizal's Third Novel by Ambeth Ocampo
Cebu by Peter BachoCebu by Peter Bacho
The Philippines  A Past Revisited  Volume I (Pre-Spanish - 1941) by Renato ConstantinoThe Philippines: A Past Revisited: Volume I by Renato Constantino
The Philippines  A Continuing Past  Volume II (1941-1965) by Renato ConstantinoThe Philippines: A Continuing Past: Volume II by Renato Constantino
Amazons of the Huk Rebellion  Gender, Sex, and Revolution in the Philippines (New Perspectives in Se Asian Studies) by Vina A. LanzonaAmazons of the Huk Rebellion by Vina A. Lanzona
Lola  A Ghost Story by J. TorresLola: A Ghost Story by J. Torres
Meaning and History  The Rizal Lectures by Ambeth OcampoMeaning and History: The Rizal Lectures by Ambeth Ocampo
Twisted by Jessica ZafraTwisted by Jessica Zafra (1st of a series)
Rizal Without the Overcoat (Expanded Edition) by Ambeth OcampoRizal Without the Overcoat by Ambeth Ocampo
Orchid House by Cindy MartinusenOrchid House by Cindy Martinusen-Coloma
Bonifacio's Bolo by Ambeth OcampoBonifacio's Bolo by Ambeth Ocampo
Salamanca by Dean Francis AlfarSalamanca by Dean Francis Alfar
America is in the Heart  A Personal History (Washington Paperbacks) by Carlos BulosanAmerica is in the Heart: A Personal History by Carlos Bulosan
My Faraway Home  An American Family's WWII Tale of Adventure and Survival in the Jungles of the Philippines by Mary McKay MaynardMy Faraway Home: An American Family's WWII Tale by Mary McKay Maynard
When the Rainbow Goddess Wept (Ann Arbor Paperbacks) by Cecilia Manguerra BrainardWhen the Rainbow Goddess Wept by Cecilia Manguerra Brainard

message 4: by Sterling (last edited Mar 18, 2012 11:30PM) (new)

Sterling Gate Books (sterlinggatebooks) | 19 comments The Ninth Orphan by James Morcan The Ninth Orphan is partially set in the Philippines.

NB: This novel is free to download for Amazon Kindle readers until midnight Monday March 19 US PST.

message 7: by Enrico (last edited Nov 20, 2013 02:59PM) (new)

Enrico Antiporda | 4 comments My Philippine novel, A Light in the Cane Fields, is free right now (from 11/20-11/22, 2013) at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/A-Light-Cane-Fi...

Set entirely in the Philippines about an NPA boy soldier, the novel was a top semifinalist at the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and received a tour de force review at Publishers Weekly: "A stylistic tour de force. A riveting epic of loss and transformation"

Enjoy the read.

Doug Hendrie (doughendrie) | 6 comments AmalgaNations by Doug Hendrie
Asia's main Catholic country, the Philippines, is also a bastion of gay tolerance. How did that come to be? I offer a few answers in my book AmalgaNations.