Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Books Set in Asia > Sri Lanka

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 5428 comments Post any books set in Sri Lanka here.

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Jan 09, 2012 06:51AM) (new)

Diane | 5428 comments Books set in Sri Lanka:

Anil's Ghost by Michael OndaatjeAnil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje
Cinnamon Gardens by Shyam SelvaduraiCinnamon Gardens by Shyam Selvadurai
Running in the Family by Michael OndaatjeRunning in the Family by Michael Ondaatje
Funny Boy by Shyam SelvaduraiFunny Boy by Shyam Selvadurai
Mosquito by Roma TearneMosquito by Roma Tearne
Swimming in the Monsoon Sea by Shyam SelvaduraiSwimming in the Monsoon Sea by Shyam Selvadurai
A Disobedient Girl  A Novel by Ru FreemanA Disobedient Girl: A Novel by Ru Freeman
Reef by Romesh GunesekeraReef by Romesh Gunesekera
Bone China by Roma TearneBone China by Roma Tearne
The Road from Elephant Pass by Nihal de SilvaThe Road from Elephant Pass by Nihal de Silva
The Hamilton Case by Michelle de KretserThe Hamilton Case: A Novel by Michelle de Kretser
Not Quite Paradise  An American Sojourn in Sri Lanka by Adele BarkerNot Quite Paradise: An American Sojourn in Sri Lanka by Adele Barker
Chinaman  The legend of Pradeep Mathew by Shehan KarunatilakaChinaman: The legend of Pradeep Mathew by Shehan Karunatilaka
The Fountains of Paradise (SF Masterworks, #34) by Arthur C. ClarkeThe Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
July by Karen RobertsJuly by Karen Roberts
Love Marriage  A Novel by V.V. GaneshananthanLove Marriage: A Novel by V.V. Ganeshananthan
A Selection of Modern Sri Lankan Short Stories in English by Rajiva WijesinhaA Selection of Modern Sri Lankan Short Stories in English by Rajiva Wijesinha
Monsoons & Potholes (A mad,bad,irreverent account of growing up in Sri Lanka;the trials and tribulations of the heroine in tandem with the country's slippery progress on the road to nowhere) by Manuka WijesingheMonsoons & Potholes by Manuka Wijesinghe
The Flower Boy (Vintage International) by Karen RobertsThe Flower Boy by Karen Roberts
Island of Blood by Anita PratapIsland of Blood by Anita Pratap
The Giniralla Conspiracy ; Five Journals of Sujatha Mallika by Nihal de SilvaThe Giniralla Conspiracy ; Five Journals of Sujatha Mallika by Nihal de Silva
The Moon in the Water by Ameena HusseinThe Moon in the Water by Ameena Hussein
The Far Spent Day by Nihal de SilvaThe Far Spent Day by Nihal de Silva
A Cause Untrue by David BlackerA Cause Untrue by David Blacker
Mythil's Secret by Prashani RambukwellaMythil's Secret by Prashani Rambukwella
Theravada Man by Manuka WijesingheTheravada Man by Manuka Wijesinghe
Zillij by Ameena HusseinZillij by Ameena Hussein
Paduma Meets the Sunbird by Nihal de SilvaPaduma Meets the Sunbird by Nihal de Silva
Milk Rice  Stories for Children by Ameena HusseinMilk Rice: Stories for Children by Ameena Hussein
Blue  Stories for Adults by Ameena HusseinBlue: Stories for Adults by Ameena Hussein
The Far Field by Edie MeidavThe Far Field by Edie Meidav
Assignment Ceylon (Sam Durell #36) by Edward S. AaronsAssignment Ceylon by Edward S. Aarons
An Historical Relation of the Island Ceylon, in the East-Indies (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press) by Robert KnoxAn Historical Relation of the Island Ceylon in the East-Indies by Robert Knox
The Sri Lankan Loxodrome by Will AlexanderThe Sri Lankan Loxodrome by Will Alexander
Relative Merits  A Personal Memoir of the Bandarabaike Family of Sri Lanka by Yasmine GooneratneRelative Merits: A Personal Memoir of the Bandarabaike Family by Yasmine Gooneratne
The Unyielding Clamor of the Night  A Novel by Neil BissoondathThe Unyielding Clamor of the Night: A Novel by Neil Bissoondath

message 4: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Jul 21, 2012 09:08PM) (new)

Diane | 5428 comments .

Brixton Beach by Roma TearneBrixton Beach by Roma Tearne (also set in UK)
The Jam Fruit Tree (The Burgher Trilogy, Book 1) by Carl MullerThe Jam Fruit Tree by Carl Muller (1st book of Burgher trilogy)
The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. ClarkeThe Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cemetery by Carl MullerA Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Cemetery by Carl Muller
Serendib by Jim TonerSerendib by Jim Toner
Bodies in Motion  Stories by Mary Anne MohanrajBodies in Motion: Stories by Mary Anne Mohanraj
Selected Short Stories  by මාර්ටින් වික්‍රමසිංහSelected Short Stories by Martin Wickramasinghe
COLOMBO STREETS by Thisuri WanniarachchiCOLOMBO STREETS by Thisuri Wanniarachchi
Spit and Polish by Carl MullerSpit and Polish by Carl Muller
Traitor by ShobasakthiTraitor by Shobasakthi
Colombo  A Novel by Carl MullerColombo: A Novel by Carl Muller
Living Their Lie by Brandon IngramLiving Their Lie by Brandon Ingram
Children of the Lion by Carl MullerChildren of the Lion by Carl Muller
The Deception by Ananda LiyanageThe Deception by Ananda Liyanage
The Python Of Pura Malai And Other Stories by Carl MullerThe Python Of Pura Malai And Other Stories by Carl Muller
The Fairy Dance by Brandon IngramThe Fairy Dance by Brandon Ingram
The Healer & the Drug Pusher by Daya DissanayakeThe Healer & the Drug Pusher by Daya Dissanayake
Serendipity by Ashok FerreySerendipity by Ashok Ferrey
Man of Earth by Maggi LidchiMan of Earth by Maggi Lidchi
Kat Bitha by Daya DissanayakeKat Bitha by Daya Dissanayake
The revolt in the temple by D.C. WijewardenaThe revolt in the temple by D.C. Wijewardena
Moonstone by Daya DissanayakeMoonstone by Daya Dissanayake
Colpetty People by Ashok FerreyColpetty People by Ashok Ferrey
Inequality by Daya DissanayakeInequality by Daya Dissanayake
The Good Little Ceylonese Girl by Ashok FerreyThe Good Little Ceylonese Girl by Ashok Ferrey
The Bastard Goddess by Daya DissanayakeThe Bastard Goddess by Daya Dissanayake
Love in the Tsunami by Ashok FerreyLove in the Tsunami by Ashok Ferrey
Monkfish Moon  Short Stories by Romesh GunesekeraMonkfish Moon: Short Stories by Romesh Gunesekera
The Sweet and Simple Kind  A Poetic Account of a Nation's Troubled Awakening by Yasmine GooneratneThe Sweet and Simple Kind: A Poetic Account of a Nation's Troubled Awakening
Heaven's Edge  A Novel by Romesh GunesekeraHeaven's Edge: A Novel by Romesh Gunesekera
In the Same Boat by Channa WickremesekeraIn the Same Boat by Channa Wickremesekera
A Selection of Modern Sri Lankan Poetry in English by Rajiva WijesinhaA Selection of Modern Sri Lankan Poetry in English by Rajiva Wijesinha
The Sandglass by Romesh GunesekeraThe Sandglass by Romesh Gunesekera
In My Mother's House  Civil War in Sri Lanka by Sharika ThiranagamaIn My Mother's House: Civil War in Sri Lanka by Sharika Thiranagama
A Year in Green Tea and Tuk-Tuks  My Unlikely Adventure Creating an Eco Farm in Sri Lanka by Rory SpowersA Year in Green Tea and Tuk-Tuks: My Unlikely Adventure Creating an Eco Farm in Sri Lanka
The Umbrella Thief by Sybil WettasingheThe Umbrella Thief by Sybil Wettasinghe
The Third Wave  A Volunteer Story by Alison ThompsonThe Third Wave: A Volunteer Story by Alison Thompson
Posted in Colombo by Shizue TomodaPosted in Colombo by Shizue Tomoda
The Legend of Pradeep Mathew  A Novel by Shehan KarunatilakaThe Legend of Pradeep Mathew: A Novel by Shehan Karunatilaka
Nirvana Effect by Craig GehringNirvana Effect by Craig Gehring
Love Cake by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-SamarasinhaLove Cake by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha
Tamil tigress by Niromi de SoyzaTamil tigress by Niromi de Soyza
Paradise Poisoned  Learning About Conflict, Terrorism and Development from Sri Lanka's Civil Wars by John RichardsonParadise Poisoned: Learning About Conflict, Terrorism and Development from Sri Lanka's Civil Wars

message 6: by Christopher (last edited May 10, 2013 11:52AM) (new)

Christopher Kelleher (christopher_kelleher) | 2 comments Thanks for this list, Diane -- and thanks for adding to it, Mishma. Sri Lanka is a fascinating country, and I'm intrigued by several of these books.

I'll add a few nonfiction titles:

The Village in the Jungle by Leonard Woolf The Village in the Jungle Memoir by Leonard Woolf, Virginia's husband.

Island of Blood by Anita Pratap Island of Blood

Not Quite Paradise  An American Sojourn in Sri Lanka by Adele Barker Not Quite Paradise: An American Sojourn in Sri Lanka

Only Man is Vile  The Tragedy of Sri Lanka by William McGowan Only Man is Vile: The Tragedy of Sri Lanka

M.I.A. by M.I.A. M.I.A. And we shouldn't forget this art book from M.I.A., who was raised in Sri Lanka.

message 7: by Renuka (last edited Aug 03, 2013 03:38AM) (new)

Renuka | 5 comments The Veddas by Charles Gabriel Seligmann
More of an anthropological study than a novel, it documents the culture and rituals of the Veddas, the aboriginal hunter-gatherer race in Sri Lanka, who will probably soon be fully absorbed into mainstream society.

Wild Ceylon by R.L. SpittelWild Ceylon by R.L. Spittel
Hard to come by but elegantly written and well worth reading if you can get it and have an affinity with wildlife and the jungle.

Stories From The History Of Ceylon For Children by Marie Musæus-Higgins Stories From The History Of Ceylon For Children by Marie Musæus-Higgins
An important book for me because I grew up with European stories and wanted to also know the tales of Sri Lanka.

message 10: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 11: by Sharanja (last edited Jan 15, 2014 11:51AM) (new)

message 12: by Soph (last edited Jan 21, 2014 05:49AM) (new)