Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
This topic is about Love and War
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Love and War by Patricia Hagan

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Stephanie (Creeker) | 133 comments I'm game. Just dug it out.

Karla | 1688 comments Mod
Good to have you! :) We'll probably be starting early next week once Jeanine gets back from her Mexican vacay.

message 3: by Karla (last edited Sep 16, 2011 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

We'll probably be starting this one sometime Wednesday-Friday (14th-16th) . So if anyone's interested in reading this doorstopper-with-itty-bitty-print along with us... :)

I know, I'm sorry! And I recently finished an itty bitty font 1970s Avon book, too! Sucker for punishment. :P

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (ThePirateWench) | 825 comments Mod
Are you doing only the first book Karla? Or will you continue here with the rest of the series?

Stephanie (Creeker) | 133 comments LOL eye strain oh boy oh boy :P
I think this is gonna be a good book. :)

Itty-bitty print is not so bad as long as the pages arent yellow..now thats eye strain :(

Sandi ~*The Pirate Wench*~ wrote: "Are you doing only the first book Karla? Or will you continue here with the rest of the series?"

If it's good, I'll probably start a thread for the entire series. :)

message 9: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 13, 2011 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stephanie (Creeker) | 133 comments Mines yellow n brown and has black spots all over the outer edges. But smells good lmao, got that oldy but goodie book smell. :)

Eight books is alot though.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Sandi ~*The Pirate Wench*~ wrote: "Are you doing only the first book Karla? Or will you continue here with the rest of the series?"

If it's good, I'll probably start a thread for the entire series..."

Sounds good Karla..that way if any of us want to continue & discuss we can. We can also do a "every-other-month"Hagan read to finish the series,that way we can read other books inbetween..what do you think?

message 11: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Sep 13, 2011 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Creeker wrote: "Mines yellow n brown and has black spots all over the outer edges. But smells good lmao, got that oldy but goodie book smell. :)

Eight books is alot though."

It is..but Im one of those Creeker..I gotta know what happens..sometimes to the bitter end,These are my original copies from when the books first came out & I kept them because I loved them so much,but of course "than" was a long time ago,and I cant remember any of it, so Im curious as to how III feel now about them now.

I'll be starting it today as well. Probably late afternoon/early eve. :)

Will do. :)

message 14: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments I'm in. I was trying to figure out what my next book would be and now I know. Ohhh I can't wait. I just bought a lot of her books.

message 15: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Ijust checked and I do not have the 8th and final book of the series. Guess I will just have to go put in another order with Alibris or Thrift Books :)

I've barely scratched it so far, but I'll get back into it later. Need to spend the rest of my day off working on bunny castles and such. :P

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I've barely scratched it so far, but I'll get back into it later. Need to spend the rest of my day off working on bunny castles and such. :P"

Bunny castles??

I found a discarded dorm fridge box in a cart outside Walmart today! Score! I cut doors in it and stuck a cement tube form in one end for a tunnel. One of my bunny pairs is already loving it. :D

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I found a discarded dorm fridge box in a cart outside Walmart today! Score! I cut doors in it and stuck a cement tube form in one end for a tunnel. One of my bunny pairs is already loving it. :D"

If I come back as a bunny I know where to take up lodgings...aren't you clever!:)

message 20: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Sep 14, 2011 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hey..when is this read starting? Now?..The weekend? I was waiting for a date..uh..book date that is :)

Earlier I'd said sometime this week, Weds. to Fri. (Message #4). Jump in whenever! I've put the read to go through October 15th for a nice, round mid-month point.

Sandi ~*The Pirate Wench*~ wrote: "If I come back as a bunny I know where to take up lodgings...aren't you clever!:)"

I'm always bugging the guys in the mail room: "Any big boxes? None today? Well, you let me know when you have one!" The buns shred and rip them something fierce and go through them pretty fast.

Oh..yes..if I had only looked up...waayy up..silly me.was looking elsewhere.:)thanks

Oh my gosh..is Kitty's mother annoying or what??
Sure glad the daughter isnt following in her footsteps here.

message 25: by Karla (last edited Sep 15, 2011 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think this is going to be one of the few times when we're going to disagree, Jeanine. :P

I'm enjoying the book quite a bit already. I don't have a peeve about the name Kitty since I LOVE Miss Kitty in Gunsmoke. :D And her war attitudes reminded me a lot of the same stuff Rhett Butler says (in the movie, at least), as well as Madeline Fabray LaMotte Main in North and South, so... *shrugs*

I think the class difference is partly what makes her more forthright about it. She's not feisty, she's more contact sport. Wish that would be dialed back a bit, but eh, whatever.

And her annoying ass mother is similar in many respects to my aunt, so I'm tuning her out as I do with my aunt. LOL

♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Or this may be a book where I just hate all the characters so their trials and tribulations will be more enjoyable!"

You have a point. I might have enjoyed Savage Ecstasy more if Alisha had been kicked around a bit more. Maybe buried, covered in honey, and have ants set upon her. That'd have been cool.

The only peeve I have so far is she has blonde hair on the cover and on page 7 it says.."she gave her reddish blonde braids" a toss back from her face..then lower in the page Nathan is looking over her body while she's got her arms up the cow..and he's thinking about her body and her "silken blonde hair"
Then the other books on the cover have her with flaming red hair! So...which is it? I have a thing about covers not matching the character..I really hate that.

Well, the bodice ripping stuff certainly kicked up a notch starting around pg. 130. O__o

(view spoiler)

Haven't been giving that much thought. I naturally cottoned to the gruff country doctor Musgrave because he reminded me of Doc Adams in Gunsmoke, and I totally love that guy. :D

As for everyone else, I have Kitty & Nathan from the cover in my head and made-up faces for the others based on their descriptions (Lena, Poppa, Jacob, Luke Tate, etc.)

Yeah, I noticed the hand. I think the artwork is by McGinniss (tho there's no sig), so all I have to say is, "WTF, Bob?"

I do love Kitty's eyebrows. They're positively 1950s Joan Crawford. :D

message 32: by Karla (last edited Sep 16, 2011 05:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The shape of the faces and the overall style remind me of the Lindsey covers. But yeah, the lack of a sig makes me somewhat unsure.

ETA: Yeah, WTF Bob? :P

My long wait is over: I have finally read a scene that made me want to vomit as much as that flaying scene in Comanche Moon.

Very well done and intense, but still....totally vomitous.

Won't tell. :D

I think it's good. There's some tiny info dumps about the secession politics and early battles, but the in-your-face bodice ripping and gore and stuff is really taking a front seat now.

message 35: by Karla (last edited Sep 16, 2011 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's a tiny list so far, but what BR list could even approach "The Pagan"? :D I think that by the time this is over, Kitty might have been put through the physical and emotional wringer front, back, and sideways.

message 36: by Karla (last edited Sep 16, 2011 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The same thing happened to Rebecca Brandewyne. When I first saw Harley Temptations with her name on them, I thought, "WTF, Bob Becky?"

I've got lots of Hagan - her historicals and Harley historicals. I'll pass on the other Harleys. Don't need anymore, although I did come across this cover today, and ALMOST caved to morbid temptation.

♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Oh no!!! Not like (I think) RR's Wicked Loving Lies - where she gets soo slippery in the front they flip her over to the back! :P"

Wasn't that Cassie in Devil's Embrace?

message 38: by Karla (last edited Sep 16, 2011 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I guess a big thank you to Amazon for having the Look Inside feature for Devil's Embrace....

She was scarce aware when the second man took his turn, for he could not tear her body more than had Andrea. Until Giulio. "Damn," she heard him curse, "the wench grows too slippery."

She was pulled onto her stomach. And she screamed, screamed until her voice was a hoarse groan in her throat.

ETA: It's OK. You've successfully scrubbed parts of DE from your mind. Something that I've failed to do, no matter how hard I try. :P

♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "On page 60 now and whoa! Kitty is in one hell of a bad place - there are parts where I am proud of her and then parts where I am like, "Please shut your damn mouth woman - this will not be good.""

LOL, yeah, she doesn't know when discretion is the better part of valor. :P

message 40: by Lynn (last edited Sep 16, 2011 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments I started it last night and am up to pg 63 and I am lovin it so far. Kitty just ran into Nathan in the wood and are having their "moment" I would love to see Lena get a 2x4 along side her head and I am afraid for her father, I have a feeling things are going to get bad for him real soon.

I am trying to sneak a few pages in here at work but it's not happening. I can be on GR and get updates but can't sneak a peak at L&W. Not fair!

message 41: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments I was glad to see that Nathan had been out looking for Kitty after that disaster of a party that Kitty attended at his home. Loved it when his father said "she is not our kind" and Kitty's reply was "thank God for that!"

message 42: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments I wonder if Nathan will have the balls to stand up to his parents

I was planning on getting some more read at work today but that didn't pan out to the degree I wanted. :P

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "My long wait is over: I have finally read a scene that made me want to vomit as much as that flaying scene in Comanche Moon.

Very well done and intense, but still....totally vomitous."

Okay, I can't resist joining in, even though I didn't finish the book. Which scene are you referring to, Karla? There were so many of them.

The amputation Kitty performs on one of Luke Tate's goons. The crowning moment was when the limb falls to the floor.

Then later, the Shiloh battlefield Yankee field hospital scene was pretty gruesome too. Really felt for Kitty there, and the other Reb doctor.

message 46: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (Chijan) | 35 comments Oh God not Luke Tate! I hope he gets his. I hope it is long, slow and angonizingly painful.

If you read the description on the back of Book 3, Luke Tate's day of reckoning is some time off. I was hoping he'd meet his end in this book, but it's always nice to have a baddie to look forward to. :)

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments Oh, that scene! Oh, c'mon, that scene wasn't that bad. I thought the gang rape was a lot worse than that. And yes, I remember thinking it was a lot like Devil's Embrace. Someday I'll have to finish that book.

Evelyn Fletcher (speederina) | 131 comments Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "The same thing happened to Rebecca Brandewyne. When I first saw Harley Temptations with her name on them, I thought, "WTF, Bob Becky?"

I've got lots of Hagan - her historicals and Harley historica..."

Whoah! What a strange coincidence. My dad actually met Muriel Jensen and took a class on writing from her. And did a feature on her in my parents' old magazine, Lower Columbia Business. Apparently she's a really funny person. He's telling me I should read one of her books just because she wrote it. I don't know if I could stand to read a Harley though.

message 50: by Karla (last edited Sep 18, 2011 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evelyn wrote: "Oh, that scene! Oh, c'mon, that scene wasn't that bad."

Maybe I should elaborate. I read it at 5:30am and I wasn't feeling all that good stomach-wise to begin with. I don't watch splatter movies and I'm not keen on horror, so talk of knives sinking into flesh and the sound of a saw grinding on bone with the soldier screaming is a bit more intense than my usual reads. Especially at 5:30 in the morning.

The gang rape didn't bother me, though. (ETA: Actually, not a gang rape per see. It's just Luke with a bunch of lookers-on.) That's more common in the BRs than in-depth detail of blood, guts and gore. I LIKE the fact that Hagan is being more nitty-gritty on the death, destruction and human toll of war, but it's unexpected for a book in the genre and took me by surprise.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

North and South (other topics)
Comanche Moon (other topics)
Sweet Savage Love (other topics)