Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Bumped (Bumped, #1)
This topic is about Bumped
Book Club Discussions > September 2011- Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Co-Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1063 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss Bumped by Megan McCafferty which was selected as our non-themed book for September.

Please mark spoilers!

Enjoy!

Ann Carpenter | 88 comments I really enjoyed this book. There were times when I doubted the plot, and a few places where the characters didn't seem to be acting consistently, but I was willing to overlook most of the small flaws because I thought the world building was absolutely fabulous.

The slang Melody uses was pitch-perfect in that it was not quite like anything people say today but was close enough that it seemed like a logical progression for twenty years from now, plus was always understandable. "Neggy" for instance, needed no explanation even though it was completely made up. I was reminded a bit of the slang that Justine Larbalestier made up for How to Ditch Your Fairy, in that I could actually see kids talking in this way.

I've been thinking a lot about the world in which Melody and Harmony live. I almost want to start writing some fanfiction just so I can explore the rest of the world. Melody and Harmony have very extreme viewpoints about what's going on in their lives, but they are also very focused on themselves (which makes sense!) I'd love to see how other people are reacting to this mess of a world. If there is such a large focus on teenagers breeding, what is it like for teens who are LGBT, for instance? What is happening with the many teens who are not auctioning off their babies, but instead keeping them to raise, worried that they won't get a chance later? I could go on and on. I think it's a great sign that the world-building was on target when I'm spending so much time thinking about all of the stories that could still be told about this made up universe.

The book was not perfect. There was more than one "Wait, s/he's doing *what?*" moments. Characters are allowed to be unpredictable, but a complete 180 doesn't makes sense when we don't see it coming and there's no real explanation.

Maree  ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ | 233 comments Meh. Didn't like this book. I thought the concept and how high schoolers were going pregnancy pro with resumes that look like they're trying to get into college was fabulous and really interesting, but once I started actually reading, I was pretty disappointed. For one thing, I didn't feel that the world was fully explored, and since that was a lot more interesting to me than the usual twin swap.

As an adult reading this, I tried to give the book a little leeway, thinking that girls would like it because it had twins and cute guys and stuff like that, but it was just too...girly? I think that's the best word I can come up with. I just can't stand young, dumb girls. And I can't come up with a clear message of what McCafferty might be trying to say.

That said, I read this a couple months back, so I may not be thinking back on this with the clearest of minds. If someone can point out stuff about the book that contradicts, awesome, I'd love to like this book a lot more than I did.

Amy | 1929 comments I guess I'm on the opposite fence. I disliked the idea of turning pregnancy into a business. People shouldn't be bought which is essentially what these pepole do when they hire teens to "bump." The concept was interesting but definitely sending out a wrong message to young adults who read this.

Maree  ♫ Light's Shadow ♪ | 233 comments Oh, I agree with that too, which was why I liked the concept so much. It's not something you'd think would come up (except in a dystopian society). I also don't think it's sending out much of a good message.

Amy | 1929 comments Has anyone read Thumped?

Ann Carpenter | 88 comments Amy wrote: "I guess I'm on the opposite fence. I disliked the idea of turning pregnancy into a business. People shouldn't be bought which is essentially what these pepole do when they hire teens to "bump." The..."

Actually, I felt that the author pretty obviously agreed with you that people shouldn't be bought and that young girls pimping out their bodies was not a good thing. I didn't feel that it was "sending the wrong message" because I found the message to be very clearly anti-pregging for profit.

Hannah | 3 comments Just got the book from the library today! I'm excited to start reading it. It kind of reminds me of A Handmaid's Tale from reading the back of it but we'll see how I like it.

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments Ann wrote: "Amy wrote: "I guess I'm on the opposite fence. I disliked the idea of turning pregnancy into a business. People shouldn't be bought which is essentially what these pepole do when they hire teens to..."

I felt the same. I didn't think there was a pro-bumping message at all. I felt it was quite the opposite. I think if teens get the idea that it's a good thing from this book, then they may have bigger moral-foundation issues.

I really liked the book. It wasn't my favorite ever, but it was very good, and entirely original.

Did anyone else get the Fed Double Ex joke or am I just old? LOL It was my favorite part!

Celeste (celeste_bocchicchio) | 73 comments It took me a bit to get into this book but once I did, I enjoyed it. The ending bothered me though (view spoiler)

message 11: by Ann (last edited Sep 12, 2011 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Carpenter | 88 comments I agree Celeste. (view spoiler) In some ways I liked the worldbuilding more than I liked the actual plot.

Hannah | 3 comments This wasn't my favorite book. I wanted to like it but somehow it just didn't work for me.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 44 comments I really liked this one and found it to be such a different twist on dystopian books that I've read. I didn't find it to be a "pro-bumping message" really. The slang really got to me at first and I was so ready to put it down. Then I realized it was supposed to be a satire of sorts so then it didn't bother me so much. Hearing Megan read this one was hilarious and she talked about how it wasn't meant to be an "issues" book. I actually just reviewed this book recently if you want to see my full thoughts. I will most certainly be reading Thumped.

I have to agree that plot sometimes was a little mehhh...but overall I enjoyed it...but I still love her Jessica Darling series WAY MORE.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bumped (other topics)
How to Ditch Your Fairy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Megan McCafferty (other topics)