Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Cooking Chat > Recipes from the world of Harry Potter (Vegan-style)

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Aug 31, 2011 08:04AM) (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments For those of you who enjoy the "Harry Potter" books and the descriptions of the mouthwatering food, you might enjoy knowing that not only have some muggles tried to replicate the magical recipes, but some have even "veganized" them ;-) Here are a few resources I found while trying to find a vegan version of butterbeer.

Dumbledore's Vegan Army:
http://dumbledoresveganarmy.wordpress...
This website is a hoot! "Recipes from Soytherin, Seitanclaw, Tofupuff and Vegandor"

And here's a recipe for butterbeer (I don't drink, but you can boil out the alcohol if you don't want it or are serving it to kids)
http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/...

And here's one from a cool dad who did a Harry Potter New Year's theme for his kids and made them some vegan butterbeer ;-)
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2011/01/...

Have any of you tried any HP recipes, vegan-style?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Thank you so much for posting these links, Kathryn!! I love the Harry Potter books, vegan food, and fun foods. I'm going to peruse these more thoroughly.

message 3: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1027 comments Mod
It sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for posting Kathryn.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments My pleasure! ;-)

message 5: by Farrah (new)

Farrah | 212 comments This is wonderful! I have been really wanting to try butterbeer! I found a recipe for it but it included actual butter. I just found out about the Unofficial Harry Potter cookbook when we decided to become vegans. But I love they way Rowling describes all the food in her books. Always made me hungry after I read about a feast.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Farrah wrote: "This is wonderful! I have been really wanting to try butterbeer! I found a recipe for it but it included actual butter. I just found out about the Unofficial Harry Potter cookbook when we decided ..."

Oooh, so happy you found this thread ;-) If you make any of the butterbeer recipes, let me know. I made the one from the dairyfreecooking link and it was a little stronger than I expected (even with boiling out the alcohol) and didn't really have that "butterscotch" flavor I always expected, but then I think the taste of real butter and cream are hard to replicate, no matter how much I enjoy my EarthBalance and almond milk!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Kathryn wrote: I think the taste of real butter and cream are hard to replicate, no matter how much I enjoy my EarthBalance and almond milk!

You should give mimic cream a shot instead of almond milk. It's much thicker. I've been wanting to make Vegan Dad's recipe for it but haven't had a chance yet. His food is amazing!

message 8: by Simona (new)

Simona | 5 comments They look awesome and so much fun! Gonna try something during Christmas holidays, Harry Potter food always gives me a nice warm sensation haha

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Thanks for the suggestion, Andrea!

And, Simona, I hope you will enjoy these. They are definitely delicious and fun ;-)

message 10: by Charlotte (last edited Dec 12, 2012 03:32PM) (new)

Charlotte (CharlotteHalperin) | 5 comments We had a Harry Potter party years ago and served very long carrot "wands" and pretzel stick "wands", owl (cookie cutter shaped) vegan sugar cookies, Surf Sweets vegan gummy worms, green smoothies for Polyjuice Potion, and dark chocolate frogs from Vermont Nut Free Chocolate.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Charlotte, That sounds yummy and really fun.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifersbliss) | 5 comments LOVING this thread!

message 13: by Steph (new)

Steph  | 44 comments Kathryn wrote: "For those of you who enjoy the "Harry Potter" books and the descriptions of the mouthwatering food, you might enjoy knowing that not only have some muggles tried to replicate the magical recipes, b..."

I love Dumbledore's Vegan Army link - thanks for sharing - I saved a few recipes that I want to try

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 138 comments Jennifer and Steph, I'm so glad you're enjoying the recipes :-)

unread topics | mark unread