Exceptional Books discussion

Specific Authors > Ernest Hemingway

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa James (sthwnd) Hemingway is one of the 20th century's greatest authors. All of his works are unforgettable. He is probably most well remembered for such exceptional books as:

For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Old Man & the Sea
To Have and Have Not

He was also a bigger than life personality, a true "man's man", an adventurer who LIVED as well as worked. I have read everything he's ever written. He is characterized by a clean, crisp writing style, unlike the prose of the Victorian era, where the more words the better. He uses a minimum of words to say what he wants to say, while still invoking you to come into his world with him. I believe he is an exceptional author, & any ONE of his books could be included in this group's bookshelves.

Colleen | 314 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "Hemingway is one of the 20th century's greatest authors. All of his works are unforgettable. He is probably most well remembered for such exceptional books as:

For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Old..."

Hey Lisa,

By all means go ahead and add them. I tried reading the Old man and the sea and I wasn't fond of it, but I also thought I should try to re-read it at a different time in my life and maybe I'd have a different experience.

Lisa James (sthwnd) Colleen wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hemingway is one of the 20th century's greatest authors. All of his works are unforgettable. He is probably most well remembered for such exceptional books as:

For Whom the Bell Tol..."
Instead of Old Man, you should try Have & Have not, or The Garden of Eden, to start out with, they are more "user friendly" :)

Lisa wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hemingway is one of the 20th century's greatest authors. All of his works are unforgettable. He is probably most well remembered for such exceptional books as:

For W..."

I found the old man and the sea to be depressing, is that unusual for Hemmingway's work? I haven't read anything else by him since the Old man and the sea.

Fiona (bookcoop) I got half way through For Whom the Bell Tolls before tossing it on the floor. Maybe I should give him another go, he's such an acclaimed author. The first sentence I remember being quite good which was why I decided to buy it.

Lisa James (sthwnd) I have read everything he's written, but honestly, Bell, Farewell to Arms, & The Green Hills of Africa did nothing for me. I loved Old man. You have to not start with those 3, but work up to them, LOL. Moveable Feast was great too :)

Mrs. C. | 3 comments Colleen wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hemingway is one of the 20th century's greatest authors. All of his works are unforgettable. He is probably most well remembered for such exceptional books as:

I agree with your perspective, Colleen. I had to read Old Man and the Sea in high school and just didn't get it. To me, it was just a "guy book." However, the message of that book has stuck with me more than any other, and as I have gone through the years, I have often seen examples of defeated people whose small victories come to nothing due to time and circumstances. A little living can really help a person see things with different eyes.

David Lentz (WordsworthGreenwich) I was impressed by the concept of Hemingway that a person may be killed but not defeated. It means that despite death the meaning of one's life may endure. Hemingway and his great marlin have ventured into immortality together because both lived fully and memorably.

Mrs. C. wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hemingway is one of the 20th century's greatest authors. All of his works are unforgettable. He is probably most well remembered for such exceptional books as:

For W..."

Tha't SO TRUE!

KrisT I am not a Hemingway fan. I really did like Old man but his war stories are so similar in theme I think. I can take him or leave him.
I recently read The Paris Wife by Paula McLain and thought it portrayed Hemingway pretty true to form in personal life. Worth a read.
I would like to read A Moveable feast someday.

Lisa James (sthwnd) Ooh! I just put this on my To Be Read list :) I wasn't fond of the war stories, like I said, but the rest of them are fantastic. To Have & Have Not was wonderful!

Heather | 1 comments Although I have never read Hemingway, I have to second the recommendation for The Paris Wife. Having just finished it, I do now want to try some Hemingway, but tend not to like war stories much, so any recommendations are appreciated.

Princessfaz | 38 comments I have to third the recommendation for The Paris wife, excellent book, really captures the spirit of those times.

My first Hemingway book was Old Man and the Sea for school and I was less than impressed, BUT my sister recommended The Sun Also Rises and I LOVED IT. Its what he is writing during The Paris Wife, not the typical Hemingway, from what I understand (could be wrong). I have Moveable Feast here ready to start, I cant wait.

Angela | 2 comments I've read quite a few works of Hemingway and I really don't like him. I kept reading more thinking I'd come around but I guess I just don't like his style. To each their own---I just think Hemingway is one of those authors that you either love or hate.

message 15: by David (last edited Sep 06, 2011 08:09AM) (new)

David Lentz (WordsworthGreenwich) FREEBIRD wrote: "Has anyone read his Garden of Eden book - his unfinished one? I just bought it on a whim at the bookstore and it sounds scandalous!"

Dear FREEBIRD:
You're right -- "Garden of Eden" is utterly scandalous but the writing, especially the dialogue, never ceases to amaze.

Shay | 23 comments Angela wrote: "I've read quite a few works of Hemingway and I really don't like him. I kept reading more thinking I'd come around but I guess I just don't like his style. To each their own---I just think Hemingwa..."

Hemingway is not one of my favorites either, Angela. But, something you said about him is why I also think he's a great writer- "I just don't like his style". Even when you don't like him, you recognize his uniqueness. He's one of those authors that if some "lost" work was uncovered, you'd feel you could immediately say, "That's a Hemingway!" (Or a Dickens, etc.) Also, he evokes such emotion in people- love or hate. Truly talentless writers can't evoke anything but indifference. Finally, "Isn't it pretty to think so?" is one of the best last lines of a book, ever.

Angela | 2 comments Shay wrote: "Angela wrote: "I've read quite a few works of Hemingway and I really don't like him. I kept reading more thinking I'd come around but I guess I just don't like his style. To each their own---I just..."

Very well-said.

Wendall Paul Sexton (wendallpaul) | 13 comments Colleen wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hemingway is one of the 20th century's greatest authors. All of his works are unforgettable. He is probably most well remembered for such exceptional books as:

Colleen, you are definitely onto something there. Re-reading the classics at a different time in your life can make all the difference in the world, as to whether you viewed the work favorably or not. I experienced this for the first time after listening to an audiobook presentation of Homer's "Odyssey".

Like most people, I was forced to read this back during high school, when nothing about life made any sense because, quite frankly, not enough of life is lived when you're 16 or 17. 'The Odyssey' meant nothing to me, as did 'Huckleberry Finn'. But now, years later, after having experienced something of what life is, the life a classic work like those two examples relate - along with any work Hemmingway wrote - to these I could now relate.

If you haven't read 'The Old Man and the Sea' for awhile (I read it back in high school and liked it - though I probably didn't understand it), read it now that you've lived a bit of life. It will undoubtedly be seen differently this time.

message 19: by Colleen (last edited Sep 12, 2011 10:20AM) (new)

Wendall, I do plan to read "The Odyssey", I think I will really enjoy that book. Although it is "my intention" to re read the old man in the sea later in my life, we'll see if I do. I have so many books on my to read list and it seems like that list is growing by leaps and bounds daily.

I'll tell you that I read Treasure Island as an adult and found it to be a really exceptional book. It was such a fun book and I loved the characters, even the "bad ones".

Lisa James (sthwnd) For those just starting out with Hemingway, the short stories might be more palatable :) The Nick Adams stories are also good to start out with. Garden of Eden was one of my hands down faves :)

Princessfaz | 38 comments I'm in the middle of Moveable Feast and its quite an easy read. Its short stories, too, very easy to get through. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Old Man and the Sea (other topics)
The Paris Wife (other topics)