Missouri - Show-me Readers discussion

I just finished this AWESOME Book....... It's called:

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lcstock) | 33 comments Mod
Hey guys! This is the discussion board where you can list whatever it is that you have read that you just have to tell others about! So - tell us what it is!

message 2: by Bethanie (new)

Bethanie (bswiney) I just read divergent by Veronica Roth and it was seriously one of the best books I have read ever. If you love the Hunger Games you will love this book!!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

I have that on my to-read list. It does sound good. I may have to pick that one up next!

message 4: by Jacquelyn (new)

Jacquelyn (lovestoread63376) | 2 comments I read a WIDE variety of books and the last 4 (I'm a fast reader) I read were American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson, All Things Kardashian by Kris Jenner, Bossypants by Tina fey, and Booky Wook by Russel Brand. I'm addicted to the Stephanie Plum series, the Alex Delaware series, and the Dog series by Rosenfelt.

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea (BuntingLA) | 214 comments Mod
Okay, I have to put my two cents in here. I've read some really good books lately. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman is a February book I read for a different group. Easily one of the best books I've read in years. If the subject matter interests you at all, you have to read this book. I also just finished Wild  From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed, another really great book. Finally, one of my students recommended Or Give Me Death  A Novel of Patrick Henry's Family by Ann Rinaldi, good historical fiction.

message 6: by Lea (new)

Oh, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail was definitely worth reading. I found the first two chapters difficult to get through, emotionally, because they are about the two events that set her on her way. She is very open and raw in these chapters...of course, maybe it's just me or the fact that I was reading that part of the book at 3:00 a.m. lol Anyway, the story picks up after that, and I thought it was really inspiring and empowering and definitely worth reading.

message 7: by Lea (new)

So where do we talk about not-so-awesome books? lol

message 8: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 76 comments Lea, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt has been one of the best books I've read in 2012. I haven't read the others you mentioned.

message 9: by Lea (new)

Jenni! I got so emotional reading that book. It's been my top book so far this year. I loved the characters and it was so heartfelt.

message 10: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 76 comments I just finished 14 by Peter Clines and it was the most suspensful book I've read this year so far. I wrote a review.

message 11: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 76 comments CeeCee is an emotional story, for sure. But not in a feel sorry for yourself way. It is so nice to read a novel where the main character is a teenager and the adults are portrayed as wise and responsible, with valuable insights to share that the child LISTENS to. On the other hand the girls actual parents were NOT wise or responsible, but thankfully CeeCee finds herself among a full array of wisdom. Give it a shot, Carla!

message 12: by Lea (new)

Yes, Carla, definitely read that book! Most of my tears were joyous while reading that one.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

I finished Code Name Verity by Wein. It was fantastic. Definitely worth a read!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan. Wow.

message 15: by Lea (new)

I finished The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling last week. It took me a while to get through, and I didn't think I liked it until I got to the second half of the book and then I loved it! If that makes sense...

message 16: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 76 comments I finished Just Beyond the Clouds by Karen Kingsbury JUST BEYOND THE CLOUDS by Karen Kingsbury. I wrote a review, but here I will just say it was a sentimental, feel-good book.

message 17: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 76 comments I just read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN by Sherman Alexie. It was a wonderful story. I wrote a review, but not a book report so I didn't give anything away. It takes place in Washington state so if you haven't read a Washington book yet, this would be a terrific choice.

message 18: by Lea (new)

Jenni, I've been interested in reading that. Glad to hear you liked it. Actually, I think they have an audio book at the library. Might check it out.

I finished Blood on the River  James Town 1607 by Elisa Carbone. It's a middle grades book, but it was wonderful! Great historical fiction about the Jamestown Colony!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt (other topics)
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (other topics)
Or Give Me Death: A Novel of Patrick Henry's Family (other topics)
14 (other topics)
The Casual Vacancy (other topics)
More...