The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

137 views
TASK HELP FALL 2011 > 25.3 - Beth NC's task: Game Night

Comments (showing 1-50 of 88) (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 27, 2011 02:05PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 8961 comments Mod
25.3 Beth NC'S task: Game Night

Fall is a good time to start having family game night. So we are going to play a game of Clue. You must pick your character and then decide what the murder weapon was or what room it was in.

Read two books:

For your first book:
Pick your character

A. Miss Scarlet – read a book with a red cover OR read a book with a femme fatale as a main character. A "femme fatale" uses her looks to get what she wants.
B. Colonel Mustard – read a book with a yellow cover OR read a book with a military man (active duty or veteran) as a main character or non-fiction subject
C. Mrs. White – read a book with a white cover OR read a book with a domestic/house servant or a cook as a main character or non-fiction subject
D. Mr. Green – read a book with a green cover OR read a book with a businessman as a main character or non-fiction subject
E. Mrs. Peacock – read a book with a blue cover OR read a book with a grand dame/society matron as a main character or non-fiction subject
F. Professor Plum – read a book with a purple cover OR read a book with a professor/teacher as a main character or non-fiction subject

For your second book:
Pick your weapon/room

1. Candlestick in the Library – read a book with a candle on the cover OR read a book in which a book or a librarian is an integral part of the plot or non-fiction subject
2. Knife in the Dining Room – read a book with a blade of some sort on the cover (knife/dagger/sword) OR read a book in which food or cooking is an integral part of the plot or non-fiction subject
3. Revolver in the Study – read a book with a gun on the cover OR read a non-fiction book
4. Rope in the Conservatory – read a murder mystery OR read a book that takes place outdoors
5. Lead Pipe in the Ballroom – read a true crime book OR read a book about dance and/or music
6. Wrench in the Lounge – read a book with a tool on the cover OR read a book about friendship. The relationship between friends should be integral to the plot or non-fiction subject Ex.: a rift between friends, testing friendship, developing romance between friends, friends working together towards a goal, etc.

Required: Post which options you chose and if it is not clear in the description, how the books fit the options you chose.


message 2: by Beth (last edited Sep 01, 2011 06:55AM) (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Characters:
A. Miss Scarlett - The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler Judgment Call by Suzy Wetlaufer Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell Paint It Red (Signet Eclipse) by Carla Cassidy
B. Colonel Mustard - Velocity by Dean Koontz Finding the Dream (Dream trilogy #3) by Nora Roberts Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières
C. Mrs. White - Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1) by Orson Scott Card Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1) by Christine Johnson The Help by Kathryn Stockett
D. Mr. Green - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling The Oasis Project (Slade Lockwood, #1) by Art Adkins
E. Mrs. Peacock - The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan The Periodic Table by Primo Levi The Starlight Rite by Cherise Sinclair Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Cold Case Squad by Edna Buchanan Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4) by Lisa Jackson A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1) by Barbara Taylor Bradford
F. Professor Plum - Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning How to Seduce a Duke (Royle Sisters, #1) by Kathryn Caskie Wicked  Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2) by Nancy Holder The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie  by Muriel Spark

Doesn't Work:
A Sense of Place by Maisie Mosco(Ms. Green)


message 3: by Beth (last edited Sep 01, 2011 07:01AM) (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Weapons/Room:
1. Candlestick in Library - Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice The Demon's Librarian by Lilith Saintcrow The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
2. Knife in the Dining Room - Cut & Run by Madeleine Urban First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran
3. Revolver in the Study - The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne #6) by Eric Van Lustbader Witch Hunt  A Novel by Ian Rankin Fast Food Nation  The Dark Side of the All-American Meal by Eric Schlosser
4. Rope in the Conservatory - The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper by John D. MacDonald The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8) by Alex Kava Paradise Lost (Joanna Brady, #9) by J.A. Jance The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler The River by Mary Jane Beaufrand The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14) by Sue Grafton Into Thin Air  A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer
5. Lead Pipe in Ballroom - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) by Adrian Phoenix
6. Wrench in the Lounge - Dismember by Daniel Pyle The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Doesn't Work:
Three Legged Horse by Ann Hood(Music) The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #1) by Alexander McCall Smith(murder)


message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 8961 comments Mod
This help thread is open!


message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 1687 comments The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan
Does this qualify as a blue cover?

Thanks


message 6: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments I love this task! Great idea Beth NC! Would The Help work for C. Mrs. White? Thanks!


message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1768 comments Would Judgement Call work for A? My cover has a red bloody drip color covering about half the book.

Here's the link for the cover: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36...


message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1768 comments Some others I am considering for A:

Blue - The Periodic Table by Primo Levi

Green - A Sense of Place by Maisie Mosco

White - Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1) by Orson Scott Card


And considerations for B:

Music - Three Legged Horse

Gun - The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne #6) by Eric Van Lustbader (the gun is in the glasses)

Murder Mystery - The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper


message 9: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Would you take Damaged as a murder mystery for Part B (Rope in the Conservatory)? For A (Mrs. White), I am thinking Claire de Lune?


message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 4929 comments congrats beth - just wanted to check my 2

for miss scarlett - The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler
for 1 - The Demon's Librarian


message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Kathy G. wrote: "The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan
Does this qualify as a blue cover?

Thanks"


Yes, it looks blue to me.


message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Randi wrote: "I love this task! Great idea Beth NC! Would The Help work for C. Mrs. White? Thanks!"

Yes, that definitely works


message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Bea wrote: "Would Judgement Call work for A? My cover has a red bloody drip color covering about half the book.

Here's the link for the cover: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36..."


It looks more pink than red on my monitor, but if you say it is red on your cover, I will allow it.


message 14: by Randi (new)

Randi (Randikins) | 256 comments Thanks, Beth!

Would Paradise Lost (by J.A. Jance, not Milton ;) )work for #4 - murder mystery? Sorry for all the questions! Thank you.


message 15: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments I would do Mrs Peacock The Starlight Rite by Cherise Sinclair in the Dining Room with a knife Cut & Run (Cut & Run #1) by Madeleine Urban.

will those work?


message 16: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalynne04) How about The Uncommon Reader for a book about a book or librarian?


message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Bea wrote: "Some others I am considering for A:

Blue - The Periodic Table by Primo Levi works

Green - A Sense of Place by Maisie Mosco doesn't work, the cover needs to be green, not just the wording

White - Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, #1) by Orson Scott Card works


And considerations for B:
Music - Three Legged Horse - It seems from the description the book isn't about the music, but about someone who was in a band.

Gun - (the gun is in the glasses) works

Murder Mystery - The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper The description mentions dead bodies, so seems to work for me


message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Randi wrote: "Thanks, Beth!

Would Paradise Lost (by J.A. Jance, not Milton ;) )work for #4 - murder mystery? Sorry for all the questions! Thank you."


Yes, this works. Sounds like a good book.


message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I would do Mrs Peacock The Starlight Rite by Cherise Sinclair in the Dining Room with a knife Cut & Run (Cut & Run #1) by Madeleine Urban.

will those work?"


That fits great. Enjoy!


message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Christina wrote: "How about The Uncommon Reader for a book about a book or librarian?"

Fits perfectly!


message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Would you take Damaged as a murder mystery for Part B (Rope in the Conservatory)? For A (Mrs. White), I am thinking Claire de Lune?"

Yes, I think a body in a ice chest would be a murder mystery and the cover of Claire de Lune is definitely white.


message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Dee wrote: "congrats beth - just wanted to check my 2

for miss scarlett - The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler
for 1 - The Demon's Librarian"


Great choices Dee.....


message 23: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) for "Candlestick in the Library", would you accept The Book Thief or The Thirteenth Tale?


message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Riona wrote: "for "Candlestick in the Library", would you accept The Book Thief or The Thirteenth Tale?"

Yes, they both work


message 25: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Beth NC wrote: "Riona wrote: "for "Candlestick in the Library", would you accept The Book Thief or The Thirteenth Tale?"

Yes, they both work"


Great, thanks!


message 26: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1768 comments Beth NC wrote: "Bea wrote: "Some others I am considering for A:

Blue - The Periodic Table by Primo Levi works


Thanks for considering all of these, Beth. I have my selections now.


message 27: by mstan (new)

mstan | 828 comments Amanda, I read that book some time ago and if I remember correctly, there is no murder in it.

I'd like to read Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine for Mrs. Peacock and The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag for the Rope in the Conservatory if that's okay.


message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Amanda wrote: "Would The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency work for a murder mystery? I know it's about detectives but I don't know if there is murder and I can't tell from the description."

I think Amanda is right and there is no murder in the mystery.


message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments mstan wrote: "Amanda, I read that book some time ago and if I remember correctly, there is no murder in it.

I'd like to read Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine for Mrs. Peacock and [book:The Weed That Strings the ..."


Yes, these both work


message 31: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 240 comments For Knife in the Dining Room would the Grim Reaper blade (sickle? scythe?) shown here work? First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones


message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments KarenF wrote: "For Knife in the Dining Room would the Grim Reaper blade (sickle? scythe?) shown here work? First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones"

Yes, it is a blade


message 33: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (CleoCleveland) | 240 comments Beth NC wrote: "KarenF wrote: "For Knife in the Dining Room would the Grim Reaper blade (sickle? scythe?) shown here work? "

Yes, it is a blade"


Great - Thanks!


message 34: by Tineke (new)

Tineke (dutch-book) | 43 comments Are these okay? Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4) by Lisa Jackson for Mrs. Peacock and this one N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14) by Sue Grafton for rope in the conservatory?


message 35: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments so for weapon #3, we can read ANY non-fiction book, regardless of topic? just want to clarify before i choose. thanks for your help! :)


message 36: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Tineke wrote: "Are these okay? Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4) by Lisa Jackson for Mrs. Peacock and this one N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14) by Sue Grafton for rope in the conservatory?"

Yes, these work


message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments kiki wrote: "so for weapon #3, we can read ANY non-fiction book, regardless of topic? just want to clarify before i choose. thanks for your help! :)"

Yes, any non-fiction works


message 38: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments For 3. Revolver in the Study - would Ann Rule's book The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story be okay?


message 39: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 739 comments Beth NC wrote:

Yes, any non-fiction works"


awesome, thanks! :)


message 40: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1005 comments would The Riverwork for murder mystery?


message 41: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (Polly8) | 114 comments Is The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld this yellow enough for Colonel Mustard?


message 42: by Beth (last edited Aug 29, 2011 03:19PM) (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Laurie wrote: "For 3. Revolver in the Study - would Ann Rule's book The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story be okay?"

Yes, this works for non-fiction, it also works for Lead Pipe in the Ballroom as True Crime


message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Pollyanna wrote: "Is The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld this yellow enough for Colonel Mustard?"

Yes


message 44: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments Jenn Renee wrote: "would The Riverwork for murder mystery?"

Looks like it from the description


message 45: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 822 comments Finding the Dream (Dream trilogy #3) by Nora Roberts OK for Colonel Mustard?


message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments BJ Rose wrote: "Finding the Dream (Dream trilogy #3) by Nora Roberts OK for Colonel Mustard?"

yes


message 47: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Could I read Wicked  Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2) by Nancy Holder if I wanna play Professor Plum?


message 48: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Martin | 793 comments Beth NC wrote: "Laurie wrote: "For 3. Revolver in the Study - would Ann Rule's book The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story be okay?"

Yes, this works for non-fiction, it also work..."


Thanks!!!


message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth (MommaLioness) | 608 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Could I read Wicked  Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2) by Nancy Holder if I wanna play Professor Plum?"
absolutely


message 50: by Judy (new)

Judy | 321 comments Would this work for Professor Plum? How to Seduce a Duke by Kathryn Caskie Thanks!


« previous 1
back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

The Lost Hero (other topics)
The Help (other topics)
A Sense Of Place (other topics)
The Bourne Sanction (other topics)
Girl In The Plain Brown Wrapper (other topics)
More...