Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Least Favourite Quotes

Comments (showing 1-50 of 86) (86 new)    post a comment »

Paul 'Pezski' Perry (Pezter) | 79 comments GR has the favourite quotes option - which I love, and have recently stacked with way too many gems from Carl Sagan and Mark Twain - but have people come across quotes that really set their teeth on edge? This occurred to me earlier today when, on the BBC homepage the quote of the day was this gem from Blaise Pascal

I have discovered that all human evil comes from this - man's being unable to sit still in a room

which I think is on a par with his more famous and almost as fatuous wager about betting on the existence of god. You could equally well say that all humanity's good work comes from this, too; if all we did was sit still we would be no more than rocks.

So, has anyone else come across quotes - either supposedly profound or just plain annoying - that have not only got their goat, but dressed their goat in an expensive satin dress and taken it for a no-expenses-spared weekend in Vegas?

Leslie | 777 comments I feel angry when people say: that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't agree that it's always true. If I drop a cup and then glue it back together, it's much more fragile that it was before it was dropped. Terrible things can happen to people and it can make them stronger, but it can also make them more fragile and mentally ill, even. It's called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

That's the quote that really bugs me!

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments But when it's dropped, it's killed. You're turning it into a zombie!

Félix (habitseven) | 23969 comments That which doesn't kill you is weak and wimpy.

Helena | 1058 comments Hiya Paul :)

My least favourite quotes are inspirational like this:

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” -Thomas A. Edison.

Suefly | 619 comments I don't know why, but any quote that is a variation of 'in time all things will be/are revealed'. It has always felt like a bit of a cop-out.

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments I guess the ones that try to deny things are bad when they really are annoy me, like the Edison. If somebody means it, it's kind of cool, but I always get the feeling that it's one of those rictus grin kinds of things.

Mary Leslie wrote: "I feel angry when people say: that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't agree that it's always true. If I drop a cup and then glue it back together, it's much more fragile that it ..."

The other one I hate along those lines is:God doesn't give you more than you can handle

ms.petra (mspetra) | 3227 comments I agree Mary.
how the F do they know what I can handle? why don't you come and handle this shit if it is so easy!
* I feel better now.

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I hate it when people treat quotes from Yoda like genuine philosophical insight. "Do or do not, there is no try" is a quote FROM A MUPPET, it's not as deep as you think it is!

Félix (habitseven) | 23969 comments Hey. Muppets are people, too.

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I love that photo of you and me at the opera, Larry.

Cynthia | 6731 comments Mary wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I feel angry when people say: that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't agree that it's always true. If I drop a cup and then glue it back together, it's much more f..."

Right Mary. I don't know how many times I've heard that at a funeral, or the equally inane, it's all part of God's plan, or Now he/she is one of God's special angels. Oh , Well there now my grief has just completely disappeared! Argh.

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments Cynthia wrote: "Mary wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I feel angry when people say: that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't agree that it's always true. If I drop a cup and then glue it back together, it..."

Yep - it's like people are telling you that God approves of all the horrors that take place because hellish experiences are like little vitamins for your soul. It's simplistic logic and annoying to no end. I think the people with these platitudes are acting in codependence of pure evil.

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Mary wrote: "The other one I hate along those lines is:God doesn't give you more than you can handle "

I know, asinine. Why do people commit suicide, then.

Myles | 1312 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Mary wrote: "The other one I hate along those lines is:God doesn't give you more than you can handle "

I know, asinine. Why do people commit suicide, then."

Duh. Satan.

Or a wizard did it.

Mary Larry wrote: "Hey. Muppets are people, too.

"

gotta love those wise old muppets!

Laurin (LaurinLooLoo) | 1618 comments I hate how at EVERY religious wedding, they have to quote Corinthians. The "Love is faithful, love is kind..." It's so cliche. It's a large book, you couldn't find any other relevant quotes?

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I've never heard that at a religious wedding, actually. Only non-religious weddings.

Janice (JaMaSc) I hate "it is what it is".

Félix (habitseven) | 23969 comments Well ... isn't it?

Laurin (LaurinLooLoo) | 1618 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I've never heard that at a religious wedding, actually. Only non-religious weddings."

I've been to a few that have. And I watch a lot of wedding shows on tv. :)

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments I prefer to hear at weddings,

And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Ephesians 5:2-5

Laurin (LaurinLooLoo) | 1618 comments I'm not particularly religious, but I respect other peoples' beliefs. I just feel like everyone that has a relationship with a God/Gods must have a unique relationship, so why does everyone need to use the same quote at their wedding? I went to religious school for a while, so I have read the Bible. I know that there is more than just Corinthians.

Helena | 1058 comments I think I had the Corinthians quote at my wedding, but I let my Aunt that was reading choose, as she has a strong accent and wasn't all that comfortable reading in English. I honestly didn't pay attention to any of that stuff- I just wanted the day over with. I disliked the whole affair.

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments I eloped and got married in the county clerk's office. Best wedding I ever had :)

Cynthia | 6731 comments We picked something from Ruth. I'll have to look it up.

Janice (JaMaSc) Larry wrote: "Well ... isn't it?"

Not necessarily. Things may not be as they appear to be.

Mary In keeping with the fashion of the 70's, we wrote our own wedding vows and hike to a mountain lake in the San Juan mountains.
I practiced my vows for days and wouldn't you know I was the one who forgot my lines!!

Leslie | 777 comments I so agree with what you guys said about the quote about God won't give us more than we can handle. I know it's straight out of the bible, but, if it's acutally true, how do you define handle. Like Lobstergirl said, people kill themselves. People are tortured to death, people suffer so deeply and end up messed up and sick. Is that handling it?

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Helena wrote: "I think I had the Corinthians quote at my wedding, but I let my Aunt that was reading choose, as she has a strong accent and wasn't all that comfortable reading in English. I honestly didn't pay attention to any of that stuff- I just wanted the day over with. I disliked the whole affair."

Very bold of you to have an affair during your wedding.

Phil | 11390 comments Janice wrote: "Not necessarily. Things may not be as they appear to be."

Yet they still are as they are. It doesn't say, "It is what it appears to be." It says, "It is what it is."

Janice (JaMaSc) Phil wrote: "Janice wrote: "Not necessarily. Things may not be as they appear to be."

Yet they still are as they are. It doesn't say, "It is what it appears to be." It says, "It is what it is.""

Ah... **looking up to the top of the page** the last time I checked, this thread was about quotes you hate. Not about the ideas they represent. I hate that quote. That's just the way it is. That's the way the cookie crumbles. I don't need to say, "it is what it is" to make my point.

Jim | 6485 comments Welcome to TC K.I..

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments She's already left the group.

Félix (habitseven) | 23969 comments Fine.

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments You miss her, I can tell.

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments She may be back...you never know.

Lobstergirl | 21710 comments Qu'ran.

Helena | 1058 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Helena wrote: "I think I had the Corinthians quote at my wedding, but I let my Aunt that was reading choose, as she has a strong accent and wasn't all that comfortable reading in English. I honest..."

Yes. Well... I wanted my husband to know what he was in for from day one. No sense in keeping secrets.

Jim | 6485 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "She's already left the group."

Why would she do that? Larry, did you scare her?

Félix (habitseven) | 23969 comments Not on purpose. Sometimes I might be scary without trying, I guess.

Jim | 6485 comments I don't think you are scary Larry.

Cynthia | 6731 comments Maybe hairy, but not scary.

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 304 comments It's getting a little "Dr. Seuss" in here...

Phil | 11390 comments "Larry is hairy," said Mary to Jerry, "why nary a soul is hairy as he."

"He's certainly hairy," responded young Jerry, "but scary? It isn't to be."

Cynthia | 6731 comments I love Phil.

Phil | 11390 comments ::blushes::

Jim | 6485 comments Cynthia wrote: "I love Phil."

He's Mine.

::Doing my best Heidi imitation::

Actually, you can have him Cynthia.

Félix (habitseven) | 23969 comments You should all be wary.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Blaise Pascal (other topics)