Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Your Recommendations > ...for Series

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Schuman (laurenschuman) | 4 comments Hi!

I am looking for a good series to read...does anyone have any recommendations?

message 2: by Diane U (last edited Aug 24, 2011 01:01PM) (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Oooh, I have one on my to-read list. It is called The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson.

Here they are in order:

Danger in the Shadows (Pre-quel)
1. The Negotiator
2. The Guardian
3. The Truth Seeker
4. The Protector
5. The Healer
6. The Rescuer

I read the pre-quel and I loved it! I cannot wait to read the rest!!! Too many good books, too little time! :)

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Schuman (laurenschuman) | 4 comments Thanks! They look really good, I'll definitely check them out! :)

message 4: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 1301 comments Mod
Diane U wrote: "Oooh, I have one on my to-read list. It is called The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson.

Here they are in order:

1. [book:The N..."

I really liked this series too- good recommendation- I haven't seen too much of Dee Henderson lately- I miss her writing.

message 5: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2161 comments Mod
Lauren, if you like historical fiction, Liz Curtis Higgs has some great books set in Scotland.

Thorn in My Heart
Fair Is the Rose
Whence Came a Prince
Grace in Thine Eyes

The last one is really a companion novel and the first three are a trilogy.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiemccurdy) | 5 comments Lisa Bergren's River of Time series is a MUST READ if you like anything medieval or suspenseful. OMW! They are amazing!!!

River of Time:
Waterfall
Cascade
Torrent

If you like military thrillers, Ronie Kendig's Discarded Heroes series are a MUST READ as well!!

Discarded Heroes:
Nightshade
Digitalis
Wolfsbane
Firethorn

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Schuman (laurenschuman) | 4 comments Awesome!! Thank you!

message 8: by Angie H (new)

Angie H | 64 comments Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. I LOVE these books!!!
A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) by Francine Rivers
An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) by Francine Rivers
As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3) by Francine Rivers

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiemccurdy) | 5 comments I've heard a lot of good things about this series by Rivers. I haven't been able to read it yet, but this time period, with the Romans war against the Jews, intrigues me! :-)

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (MelanieDiamond) Diane U wrote: "Oooh, I have one on my to-read list. It is called The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson.

Here they are in order:

I have read this series about 1 million times. I love them! Amazing. In one word that is what they are. You should definitely read them! Too bad she hasn't released anything recently :(

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiemccurdy) | 5 comments I've read Danger in the Shadows, and loved it! Am slowly accumulating the entire series. :-D

message 12: by Angie H (new)

Angie H | 64 comments I have also read the O'Malley Series. I own them all and loved them!! =)

message 13: by Charity (new)

Charity U (NarnianatHeart) | 6 comments Oh, there are so many! If you need more particulars, just ask. :)

The Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke (8 books)
Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery (8)
The Chronicles of Zion series by Bodie Thoene (5)
The Californians series by Lori Wick (4)
all of Wanda E. Brunstetter's series'

I don't know what kind of books you're looking for, so those are a variety. :)

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (LoveBeingVegan) | 77 comments Karen Kingsbury's Baxter series (Redemption, Firstborn, Sunrise, Above the Line, and Bailey Flanigan).

message 15: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Melanie wrote: "Karen Kingsbury's Baxter series (Redemption, Firstborn, Sunrise, Above the Line, and Bailey Flanigan)."
Yes, yes yes! These are great!

message 16: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (LibraryDiva) | 2142 comments Mod
Diane U wrote: "Oooh, I have one on my to-read list. It is called The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson.

Here they are in order:

Fantastic series. Just finished the last one a couple of weeks ago.

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (MelanieDiamond) I recommend reading Susan May Warren. All of her books are amazing and are really good series.

message 18: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Goodness you are all hitting some of my favorite series:

Here are a couple more:
Bradleyville Series by Brandilyn Collins
Yada Yada Prayer group series by Neta Jackson
Sisterchick series by Robin Jones Gunn

message 19: by Melanie (last edited Aug 26, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Melanie (MelanieDiamond) Tracie Peterson song of alaska series
Trish Perry with the guy I'm not dating
Catherine Palmer series Miss Pickworth
Kathleen Morgan series these highland hills
Erynn Mangum series Lauren Holbrook
Denise Hunter series nantucket
Kristen Heitzmann series secrets
Irene Hannon series Heroes of Quantico
Kelly Eileen Hake series Prairie Promises
Deeanne Gist series Trouble
Lori Copeland series men of the saddle
Mary Connealy series Montana marriages
Mindy Starns Clark series the million dollar mysteries
Tamera Alexander series timber ridge reflections
M.L. Tyndall series surrender to destiny (all of her books actually)

message 20: by Melanie (last edited Aug 26, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Melanie (MelanieDiamond) and I can't forget daughters of Boston by Julie Lessman

and The Heirs of Cahira O'Connor by Angela Hunt

wow. I have read a lot of books! lol

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann A. (homeschooledprincess) | 2 comments The Harry Potter series is good. Of course, I know that lots of Christians are against it because of the whole witchcraft thing, but it is about kids/teens fighting evil, not about them trying to summon demons, etc.! They are really good. J.K. Rowling (the author) is supposed to be a Christian, and the book has Christian themes in it, if you look for them.

message 22: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 855 comments Diane U wrote: "The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson."

Great series! I really enjoyed it! :D

Katie wrote: "Lisa Bergren's River of Time series...
...Ronie Kendig's Discarded Heroes series..."

Two wonderful series! Love them both! :D

Melanie wrote: "The Heirs of Cahira O'Connor by Angela Hunt"

Another great series! I've re-read it several times. :D

message 23: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 855 comments Any series by Mary Connealy is bound to be good!

The Uncommon Heroes series by Dee Henderson is one of my favorites

I've read & enjoyed almost every one of the series by Bodie Thoene & Brock Thoene

The same goes for Colleen Coble. She's an amazing author!

I could list so many more, but I'll leave it at this for now...

message 24: by Steven (new)

Steven Bliss | 9 comments If you like adventure (lots of fighting scenes) the Lion of War series by Cliff Graham is interesting. I've only read the first book, Day of War, but am getting ready to get into the second book. To be honest, I wasn't real impressed with the writing but David has always been one of my favorite Bible characters so I'll keep with the series.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 48 comments Steven wrote: "If you like adventure (lots of fighting scenes) the Lion of War series by Cliff Graham is interesting. I've only read the first book, Day of War, but am getting ready to get into the second book. T..."

I LOVED Day of War. You're right about the writing not being fantastic, but I thought the storytelling was excellent. I wasn't as impressed with Covenant of War. It got a little bogged down. I'm still looking forward to the next book and want to make time to catch up on the short stories that are about David's mighty men.

message 26: by Kalyn (new)

Kalyn Sherman thomas (Kalynz2) | 6 comments Anything by Karen Kingsbury and you can't go wrong! I'm now reading the O'Malley series.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 349 comments Gilbert Morris House of Winslow if you like historical series

message 28: by Janet (new)

Janet | 33 comments Karen Kinsbury - theorder is Redemption (Redemption, #1) by Karen Kingsbury
Remember (Redemption, #2) by Karen Kingsbury Return (Redemption, #3) by Karen Kingsbury Rejoice (Redemption, #4) by Karen Kingsbury Reunion (Redemption, #5) by Karen Kingsbury
it goes on from there.

message 29: by Steven (new)

Steven Bliss | 9 comments Melissa wrote: "I LOVED Day of War. You're right about the writing not being fantastic, but I thought the storytelling was excellent. I wasn't as impressed with Covenant of War. It got a little bogged down. I'm still looking forward to the next book and want to make time to catch up on the short stories that are about David's mighty men."

About 1/4 of the way through Covenant of War.... I like it better than Day of War so far! It's definitely caught my attention and kept it so that's a good thing.

message 30: by Alina (new)

Alina | 23 comments Janet wrote: "Karen Kinsbury - theorder isRedemption (Redemption, #1) by Karen Kingsbury
Remember (Redemption, #2) by Karen KingsburyReturn (Redemption, #3) by Karen KingsburyRejoice (Redemption, #4) by Karen KingsburyReunion (Redemption, #5) by Karen Kingsbury
it goes on from there."

Loved that series! Read 14 of them in a row!

message 31: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Sagan (DianneS) | 3 comments Karen Kingsbury's Redemption series is wonderful.Francine River's series Mark of the Lion is also awesome. I also loved Terri Blackstock's Cape Refuge series, as well as her Restoration series. Another great series is Davis Bunn & Janette Oke's Acts of Faith series. I'm not sure I have all these on my shelf, but they are great!

message 33: by CarolynB (new)

CarolynB (CarolynLB) | 49 comments Rachel wrote: "Gilbert Morris House of Winslow if you like historical series"

And long ones! This series has 40 books in it. I've read them all and loved every one of them.

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Lester | 13 comments Debbie MaComber's Cedar Cove series is really good!

message 35: by CarolynB (new)

CarolynB (CarolynLB) | 49 comments Yes, I agree, Cindy.

message 36: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Kinsey | 3 comments Lauren wrote: "Hi!

I am looking for a good series to read...does anyone have any recommendations?"

I own ever single Dee Henderson book except her last one Full Disclosure.
Irene Hannon and Lynette Eason are some new authors I have enjoyed tremendously. Terri Blackstock also has some awesome series. DiAnn MIlls is another great author. And if you like historical there is an author not really al that well known but her books are wonderful. Her name is T. Elizabeth Renich. Her Shadowcreek Chronicle series is set during the Civil War.

message 37: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Lauren - when I first started reading Christian fiction I began with Janette Oke. Her series tend to be historical fiction but they are great.

message 38: by Anita (new)

Anita (AlamoAA) | 46 comments I started to read Christian Historical Novels about 7 years ago and started with Tracie Peterson, Lori Wick, Lauraine Snelling. There are so many out there now that are good. Years ago I read Jannette Oke but even though I have some books of hers that are unread I just have not gotten back into her lately.

message 39: by CathyLynn (new)

CathyLynn Bryant (AuthorCathyBryant) | 524 comments Diane U wrote: "Oooh, I have one on my to-read list. It is called The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson.

Here they are in order:

1. The Negotiator
2. The Guardian
3. The Truth Se..."

I loved the O'malley series.

message 40: by CathyLynn (new)

CathyLynn Bryant (AuthorCathyBryant) | 524 comments Anita wrote: "I started to read Christian Historical Novels about 7 years ago and started with Tracie Peterson, Lori Wick, Lauraine Snelling. There are so many out there now that are good. Years ago I read Janne..."

Lori Wick is one of my favorites. I have all of her books.

message 41: by CathyLynn (new)

CathyLynn Bryant (AuthorCathyBryant) | 524 comments Kristy wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Hi!

I am looking for a good series to read...does anyone have any recommendations?"

I own ever single Dee Henderson book except her last one Full Disclosure.
Irene Hannon and Lyne..."

Full Disclosure was good as well.

message 42: by Anita (new)

Anita (AlamoAA) | 46 comments Anita wrote: "I started to read Christian Historical Novels about 7 years ago and started with Tracie Peterson, Lori Wick, Lauraine Snelling. There are so many out there now that are good. Years ago I read Janne..."

Other good authors are Catherine Palmer, Robbin Lee Hatcher, Cathie Marie Hake, Lisa T Bergren, Judith Pella, Lynn Austin, Stephanie Grace Whitson, Gilbert Morris, Michael Phillips and Al and Joanna Lacy to name a few. What I did was do a search in Google for Christian authors and got the top ones and then a list for not as top ones. I know I am missing some here but those are ones I have read. Mr Lacy and his Orphan Train series is excellent. The Brianna series is ok at first but gets drawn out and she is too perfect. Enjoy as there is no end to the good reading out there.

message 43: by Anita (new)

Anita (AlamoAA) | 46 comments Anita wrote: "Anita wrote: "I started to read Christian Historical Novels about 7 years ago and started with Tracie Peterson, Lori Wick, Lauraine Snelling. There are so many out there now that are good. Years ag..."

I forgot two all time favorites: Tamara Alexander & Laura Frantz

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Schuman (laurenschuman) | 4 comments Love all these reccomendations!! Thank you! :)

message 45: by Jdsmith43 (new)

Jdsmith43 | 1 comments The Circle series by Ted Dekker.

message 46: by Marren (last edited Jun 25, 2013 05:37PM) (new)

Marren | 31 comments Charity wrote: "Oh, there are so many! If you need more particulars, just ask. :)

The Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke (8 books)
Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery (8)
The Chronicles of Zion s..."

I second the Love Come Softly Series. I have read three out of the series and oh boy they are great! Bonus if you are a movie lover like me, there are equally good series out in DVD.

message 47: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

I agree Marren! I've lived watching those movies on the Hallmark channel!

message 48: by Marren (new)

Marren | 31 comments They are great,just the right amount of romance and struggle to balance out the story. The men in the series sure handsome and caring.

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 48 comments Jdsmith43 wrote: "The Circle series by Ted Dekker."

Yip. Black, Red, and White are excellent!

message 50: by CathyLynn (new)

CathyLynn Bryant (AuthorCathyBryant) | 524 comments Diane U wrote: "Oooh, I have one on my to-read list. It is called The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson.

Here they are in order:

1. The Negotiator
2. The Guardian
3. The Truth Se..."

I agree, great series!

« previous 1