Reading with Style discussion

Reading w/ Style (Fall 2011) > 10.7 - Rebekah's Task: Muslim Mindset

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (last edited Aug 31, 2011 04:56PM) (new)

Liz M | 2492 comments 10.7 - Rebekah’s Task – Muslim Mind Set
In honor of the conclusion of Ramadan and Islam’s other major holiday, Eid al-Adha ("The Festival of Sacrifice"), read a book that fits at least one of these criteria:
1) Written by an author whom identifies him/herself as Muslim.
2) Set in a predominantly Muslim country or Palestine.
3) Or is non-fiction book about Islam.

Liz M | 2492 comments itpdx wrote: "On task 10.7, does it have to be a middle eastern country? Could it be on non-middle eastern country that is predominantly Muslim, such as Pakistan or Indonesia? And do you consider Turkey middle-eastern or not (some people do and some don't)?"

Rebekah, can you answer this question? (I am re-posting it from another thread).

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2906 comments The Reluctant Fundamentalist is the book I've chosen, which I hope I can get to.

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1586 comments I just finished a great anthology if anyone's interested and it qualifies (multiple authors, but all Middle East):

Tablet & Pen: Literary Landscapes from the Modern Middle East

message 5: by Krista (last edited Aug 27, 2011 01:10PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments I've pencilled in, Infidel -- by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Will this work for this task? This has been on my TBR shelf for a long time, but I can't tell from the blurb on the back whether it complies with the spirit of the task.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2906 comments Krista, from what I read of that author, she is a critic is Islam. But if you want to read that book, it has been awarded 5 stars from Jayme (the ghost reader), so if the 5-star task wins as I think it will, you could still read it.

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Could you explain why Infidel would be unacceptable for this task? My understanding is that much of the memoir is focused on the author's early life in Somalia and is about Islam. Even if Somalia were to be disqualified on the basis that it is African rather than Middle Eastern, it is unquestionably about Islam.

If, as you are stating, the book would be ineligible because it is a criticism of Islam, I would like to ask that the task be rephrased. While, understandably, it is not a book one could consider to be in the spirit of Eid and Ramadan, the task at no point indicates that it should be a book with a particular view on the subject.

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1586 comments Hopefully, Rebekah will visit soon to clarify.
I've re-read the task a number of times because I wanted to read fiction for the most part. My understanding is that I can read anything by a Muslim author regardless of the setting or pov. I cannot read fiction by a non-Musim author, but I could read nonfiction if it was set in the Middle East or about Islam.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2906 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Hopefully, Rebekah will visit soon to clarify."

I quite agree. It's Rebekah's task. I was merely pointing out to Krista that if she really wanted to have this book for Fall it will fit regardless.

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1586 comments Oh, no worries, I understood that, I was just trying to help, too. You are doing a great job moderating the group. I told Liz I would help when I could, so I chimed in, just for additional clarification for myself and others and to make sure I'm on the right track when Rebekah checks in.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 924 comments Krista wrote: "I've pencilled in, Infidel -- by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Will this work for this task? This has been on my TBR shelf for a long time, but I can't tell from the blurb on ..."

I have read that book and it is a very good book. She is a critic of Islam but most of the book doesn't take place in Africa.

Deedee | 630 comments I plan on reading Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji for this task -- I had assumed it would fit because (1) it is set in Iran and (2) written by man who lived the first 18 years of his life in Iran (he came to USA for college in the 1970s and stayed after the Khomeini revolution). I don't know if Mahbod Seraji is Muslim or if the novel is about Islam. Let me know if this one won't work and I'll look for another one.

Re: Ayaan Hirsi Ali: her books are amazing. Infidel is about her lived experience in a Muslim country, and Nomad is about what her life was like in Europe. Hopefully our task moderator will approve both of these books for those of you who haven't read her yet.

Krista (kacey14) | 673 comments I think that books by Orhan Pamuk would work for this task.

Rachelccameron | 246 comments Would the Kite Runner or 1000 Splendid Suns work?

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Gee! I'm so sorry! I've had my head so down in the books I was trying to complete for the summer challenge in SRC that I forgot all about the fall! We've also had my birthday and my first grandchild's first birth day and back to school planning for the coming year that has kept me distracted so I will try to answer all now. It's after midnight and everyone is in bed, so maybe i can get it done! (smile)

message 16: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 31, 2011 01:22AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Liz M wrote: "itpdx wrote: "On task 10.7, does it have to be a middle eastern country? Could it be on non-middle eastern country that is predominantly Muslim, such as Pakistan or Indonesia? And do you consider..."

Yes. Any country predominently Islamic. Here is a list of them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...
Even though Palestine is not on there, I consider that a very important Islamic country and all the conflict between Moslems and most Western cultures have an origin in this area. I think we should learn more about their pov

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The Reluctant Fundamentalist is the book I've chosen, which I hope I can get to."

sounds interesting

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Krista wrote: "I've pencilled in, Infidel -- by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Will this work for this task? This has been on my TBR shelf for a long time, but I can't tell from the blurb on ..."

Is she still a Moslem?

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Rebekah wrote: "Krista wrote: "I've pencilled in, Infidel -- by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Will this work for this task? This has been on my TBR shelf for a long time, but I can't tell fro..."

I do not believe she is, but the book is about Islam and from what I understand, largely about her life in Somalia, which seems to qualify it in two out of three categories. I believe it was only questioned because it is critical of the Islamist version of the Muslim religion in which she was raised.

message 20: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 31, 2011 01:23AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Denae wrote: "Could you explain why Infidel would be unacceptable for this task? My understanding is that much of the memoir is focused on the author's early life in Somalia and is about Islam. Even if Somalia w..."

My objective from this task, is to learn more about Moslems as human beings. There seems to be so much negative press about the culture and the religion. I find fear is often rooted in ignorance or misunderstanding so the more we know about another culture the more objective we can be. I was hoping we could read about them to learn more about their point of view. If someone suggested reading a book about Judism, we wouldn't think a book written by Hitler would be very objective. Hopefully what you read will be respectful of this very old relgion and culture that shares roots with Christianity and Judism. A book I read this summer is what really got me to thinking about this topic as a task was Tea with Hezbollah: Sitting at the Enemies' Table, Our Journey Through the Middle East in which two Christian men from the US and Canada go through Egypt, Israel, Palestine, Syria, Saudi Arabia and Lebanon meeting with all the relgion factions they could to find out their version of the story of the Good Samaritan and to really listen to each point of view without passing judgement. That included Hezbollah, Hamas, PLO, Zionists, a non-violent Palestinian group, Palestinian Christians (who are considered Palesinians), Druse, Orthodox and non-Orthordox Jews and actual Samaritans, Sunnis and Shiitites and Palestinian Refugees.

message 21: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 31, 2011 01:14AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Hopefully, Rebekah will visit soon to clarify.
I've re-read the task a number of times because I wanted to read fiction for the most part. My understanding is that I can read anything by a Muslim a..."

I was a thinking a Moslem writer. That could be fiction, non-fiction, in any country or any pov. However, they must consider themselves Moslem. For instance, even though Rushdie had a fatwa against him, he still considers himself a Muslim.
By the way Historical fiction would also count if it is set in a predominently Islamic country. Maybe we could just strike out the words Middle Eastern in the task.

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Deedee wrote: "I plan on reading Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji for this task -- I had assumed it would fit because (1) it is set in Iran and (2) written by man who lived the ..."

You book fits as it was set in Iran, even if he is not a Moslem.

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Krista wrote: "I think that books by Orhan Pamuk would work for this task."

Absolutely

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "Would the Kite Runner or 1000 Splendid Suns work?"

Both would. In fact they were some of the books I was actually of thinking that would fit this task if I needed to give examples.

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Did I make everything as clear as mud?

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) What I am getting is that a book by a Muslim author is acceptable regardless of topic, one set in a Muslim country is also acceptable regardless of topic, and a non-fiction book by a non-Muslim author about Islam is acceptable if it presents a positive view of the religion. I can't imagine that is what you actually mean.

message 27: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 31, 2011 11:13AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments You are right, this is what I mean except a non-fiction book about Islam doesn't have to be positive. it would be nice if it was at least objective, "in the spirit of Eid" or to learn more about the Islamic p.o.v. but I'm not going to censor any non-fiction books that are truly about the religion. It's just that it seems the reports we hear about that people are overwhelmingly negative so I think to read another view point would be fair. I know many people of that faith who are highly civilized, whose women wear modern clothing, attend school and haven't even had to kill anyone in their families for not "following the rules". (smile)

Ok and now here is a firecracker I don't want to start WW III with but the American press seems to mostly side with the Israelis in the Palestinian conflict, but why would people really want to sacrifice themselves or war with a country with the backing of the largest super-power and who has such high tech weapons? Why are there so many Palestinian refugees? Why do so many Moslem countries have a negative feeling toward the USA? Ironically I find many Americans respond with "they're jealous" or they want the world to be under shira law. I don't think that is any more true than since there are political elements that would like the entire world to become Christian means all Christians want to declare holy war on non- Christian countries although there are a few crazies out there that think blowing up an abortion clinic or killing people who work there will get them into heaven. These are questions i have. I think that it is very important we hear "the other side". However the taks says a "non-fiction about Islam" so I will honor that. Hitler even included them in his "non-desirables" list in his writings. So forcing people to ONLY read something that agrees with my opinions is not what I want to do. Too much like banning books. I just wanted to say what I was thinking about before i came up with the task.

message 28: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 31, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Rebekah wrote: "Did I make everything as clear as mud?"
Read a book that fits at least one of these criteria;

1) An author of the Islamic faith. Doesn't have to be conservative or attend Mosque every Friday but identifies him/herself as Moslem.

2) Any book set in a predominently Moslem country as identified at this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...
but would include Palestine

3) Any non-fiction book about Islam

Like when one challenge we read books by Jewish authors only I didn't want to contain it to one list. I wanted to give more lee-way.
and don't forget, we can always repeat this task or use another book from this task for combo points

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Krista wrote: "I've pencilled in, Infidel -- by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

This would be acceptable

Liz M | 2492 comments Rebekah wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Did I make everything as clear as mud?"
Read a book that fits at least one of these criteria;

1) An author of the Islamic faith. Doesn't have to be conservative or attend Mosque..."

Excellent, thank you for the clarification! I will update the task in the Task overview" folder & the first post in this one by the end of the day.

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Thank you for the clarification!

message 34: by Karen Michele (last edited Aug 31, 2011 06:39PM) (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1586 comments Camille wrote: "What about Butterfly Mosque, The?"

I plan to read this one and also some comics by the author:
Cairo
Air: Letters from Lost Countries v. 1

... all of which I will borrow from my son(quite proud of him - he works for Fantagraphics) who did this 3 part interview with
G. Willow Wilson :

http://classic.tcj.com/international/...

message 35: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 31, 2011 10:12PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Camille wrote: "What about Butterfly Mosque, The?"

Yes. It takes place in egypt, the author is a converted Moslem and I've added it to my wish list!

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments The July/Aug issue of Booksmarks magazine has a whole section on Literature in the Middle East. Most libraries carry it or you might could find it on their website.

message 39: by Rebekah (last edited Sep 24, 2011 03:20PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 1973 comments Kiri wrote: "Would this work?
The Muslim next door   the Qurʼan, the media, and that veil thing by Sumbul Ali-Karamali The Muslim next door : the Qurʼan, the media, and that veil thing by [author:S..."

From the description of the book;
"Written from the point of view of an American Muslim, the book addresses what readers in the Western world are most curious about, beginning with the basics of Islam and how Muslims practice their religion before easing into more complicated issues like jihad, Islamic fundamentalism, and the status of women in Islam. Author Sumbul Ali-Karamali's vivid anecdotes about growing up Muslim and female in the West, along with her sensitive, scholarly overview of Islam, combine for a uniquely insightful look at the world's fastest growing religion."

Not only does it work but it is exactly the type of book I'd hoped people would read for this challenge! Now I've even put it on my wishlist! Thanks! Can't wait to see how you review it.