Victoria Holt, Jean Plaidy, Philippa Carr; Eleanor Burford, Elbur Ford, Kathleen Kellow, Anne Percival, and Ellalice Tate. discussion

Victoria Holt
This topic is about Victoria Holt
Your Victoria Holt / Jean Plaidy Discovery

Comments (showing 17-66)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 66: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (RegansRomance) | 22 comments Dorcas wrote: "My love, my enemy. I think its 7.99"

I liked that one but not nearly as much as the two Scottish ones, and Bride of the MacHugh most of all.

message 65: by Dorcas (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) My love, my enemy. I think its 7.99

message 64: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (RegansRomance) | 22 comments Dorcas wrote: "I see that one is available on kindle, the others as you say are astronomically priced on amazon used books but I will check out the library. thanks!"

Which one, Dorcas?

message 63: by Dorcas (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) I see that one is available on kindle, the others as you say are astronomically priced on amazon used books but I will check out the library. thanks!

message 62: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (RegansRomance) | 22 comments Dorcas wrote: "Ooooh! Ive gotta check it out! I love a good historical that takes me to far away places! Thanks!
Is Bride Of the MacHugh a clean read? (meaning could I pass it on to my daughter afterwards?)"

Yes, Dorcas, it is. As is the other Scottish one by her, My Lord Monleigh. It is clear the hero and heroine have made love at one point but the scenes are not shown (pity for those of us who would have loved to see them as only Speas could do it). Her language is beautiful; the emotions amazing. I have a few short quotes from her books in my "quotes" section. You may have to pay a premium for her used books, as I did. It will be worth it. Try both Amazon and Abe books. I treasure my used copies and re-read them periodically.

message 61: by Dorcas (last edited Sep 16, 2013 09:14AM) (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) Ooooh! Ive gotta check it out! I love a good historical that takes me to far away places! Thanks!
Is Bride Of the MacHugh a clean read? (meaning could I pass it on to my daughter afterwards?)

message 60: by Regan (new)

Regan Walker (RegansRomance) | 22 comments Dorcas wrote: "by the way, my daughter, who at 15 is as voracious a reader as myself has now also discovered VH :) That's how you really know an author is good : when they transcend generations."

Dorcas, on my Regan's Romance Reviews blog (http://reganromancereview.blogspot.com) on the right side under Regan's Best Lists, you'll see lists by subgenre (Scottish, Pirate, Viking, Irish, etc.) and many of the books are ones written decades ago that, just as you say, transcend generations. My personal favorite, Bride of the MacHugh, was written in the 50s.

message 59: by Dorcas (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) by the way, my daughter, who at 15 is as voracious a reader as myself has now also discovered VH :) That's how you really know an author is good : when they transcend generations.

message 58: by Dorcas (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) An "auntie" type friend introduced me to VH when I was about 15. My first books were "Lord of the far island " and "shivering sands ". I thought Shivering Sands was AMAZING and since then ive pretty much gone through all the VH that ive found in the various libraries ive lived near over the years but its only recently that I discovered some of her other pen names. Why do they to this??? I feel like ive missed out on who knows how many books ...

message 57: by [deleted user] (new)

I stumbled upon Victoria Holt in the library as a teenager, while trying to find something new to read. The cover for Bride of Pendorric looked interesting, and I was hooked! I'm not big on her Jean Plaidy titles since I don't really like fictionalized biographies, but I did read a few of them after tearing through all of the Holt titles and most of the Carr "Daughters of England" series.

message 56: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 27 comments I just joined the group. I've read a few Victoria Holts, The Road to Paradise Island my fav so far. I learned about this group from the Mary Stewart group, thanks Misfit. Looking forward to joining the group reads.

message 55: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieburton2004) | 423 comments Mod
I believe my very first was My Enemy The Queen by Holt, I loved Lettice & that book started me on collecting. I read only about 5/6 of hers, & I need to remedy that!I agree about the timeless quality of her subject matter, & so glad they are getting reissued again.

message 54: by Amber (new)

Amber Newberry (AuthorAmberNewberry) | 7 comments It's funny how the generational gap seems to be non-existant where these books are concerned. My mother, grandmother and even my great grandmother were also avid fans. :)

message 53: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments Hello, all! Glad to have been directed to this group from the Gothicked group. My first was also my first check-out from the adult department at the library -Jean Plaidy's Light on Lucrezia. I had no idea it was the second book, and you could have knocked me over with a feather when my mom told me she was also Victoria Holt. Luckily mom had nearly every Holt on her shelves thanks to the Doubleday Book Club, so I was set with good reading material for a long time! I was in 6th grade when I started reading this author.

message 52: by Susie (last edited Feb 13, 2013 02:39PM) (new)

Susie Fiorito (TudorDaughter) | 30 comments I have been a long time fan of Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt. Jean Plaidy in particular. I have read quite a few of hers. I loved Murder most Royal, Hammer of the Scots, Bastard King and Follies of the King. I am currently reading Prince of Darkness which is equally as good. My first Victoria Holt book was Night of the Seventh Moon. I just recently re-read that and Mistress of Mellyn after 30 years.I decided this year that I was going to try and read all of the Daughter's of England Series by Phillipa Carr. Nice fast reads. Glad I found this group.

message 51: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieburton2004) | 423 comments Mod
Amber wrote: "I *just* posted a guest blog about my first time reading a Holt book on Gothicked.com. I was about 12 or 13 and my mom gave me her copy of The Pride of the Peacock and it is still one of my favori..."

Amber, I just read your post! Very intriguing! Here's the link if anyone is interested.

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber Newberry (AuthorAmberNewberry) | 7 comments I *just* posted a guest blog about my first time reading a Holt book on Gothicked.com. I was about 12 or 13 and my mom gave me her copy of The Pride of the Peacock and it is still one of my favorite books of all time.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments I am hoping to revisit some Holt books before the end of the year, but I know I have fonder memories of her earlier works. Her gothic novels from the late '80s/early '90s were good but never favorites. I remember being particularly disappointed with The Captive. I agree with Annie in that her Queens of England books were stronger. I enjoyed Myself My Enemy, The Reluctant Queen, The Queen's Secret, The Lady in the Tower and so many others published in that same time period ('80s-'90s).

message 48: by Annie (new)

Annie | 14 comments Lora wrote: "Are the books that she wrote at an older age as good as her earlier novels?"

I think this may be a matter of opinion, however, as Victoria Holt, I like her earlier novels best. At the end, they started sounding a little repetitive to me. However, even those were good stories. Similar situations, but not necessary the same stories. In the Jean Plaidy books, however, she was writing about history and every one was just as good as the others.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only read that one, sorry. It was such a great story, I need to get more.

message 46: by Lora (new)

Lora Are the books that she wrote at an older age as good as her earlier novels?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

*burford

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

The Scarlet Cloak by Eleanor Buford!
Found it!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Yea. I liked that book, especially the daughters relationship to "captain"
thanks buddy

message 42: by Annie (new)

Annie | 14 comments The return of the gypsy, maybe?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

*Spaniard

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

There is a book about England and Spain a spa oars who loves a gypsy girl who winds up captive and taken to England by a pirate who calls hisself "captain".
It was such a great story but I must have forgotten the book title. I thought it was The Scarlet Cloak by VH or JP or her other names. Does anyone remember it? U want to add it to my read list.
Thx
Michael

message 39: by Lora (new)

Lora I am just about to read my first Victoria Holt novel, "Mistress of Mellyn," and the first thing I notice is that the publisher has her year of death listed as 1933!

message 38: by Janis (new)

Janis Robson | 1 comments my mother used to read jean plaidy books when i was a kid,whilst visiting i ran out of things to read so took murder most royal off a very dusty bookshelf,started reading and couldnt put it down,so i am now reading my way trough the tudor series,and have started buying the plantagenet series,and cant wait to read them

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori Bigby (Loribigby) " ps I thought Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt were one and the same, am I wrong, ? /i>

You are right. They are one and the same. I didn't know but three of her pseudonyms and none of them was her real name. :) Therefore, there are about 40+ books out there written by [insert favorite name] that I haven't read yet!

message 36: by Philomena (new)

Philomena | 1 comments I read all Jean Plaidys books when I was sixteen, again when I was in my 30's and now again in my early 70's I never get tired of her , the way she writes is so simple but I have to say that I learned my history painlessly with her, ps I thought Jean Plaidy and Victoria Holt were one and the same, am I wrong, ?

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori Bigby (Loribigby) I just finished reading the comments. It's funny I just assumed you all would have the same favorites as I do! :) Out of all the books I've read, I still remember "On the Night of the Seventh Moon." It was probably one of the first VH book I read and it was so different than anything I had read before. "The Shadow of the Lynx" was my next favorite. I think I need to go back and reread them again to make sure they were as wonderful as I remember! (Oh, I hit a book sale and got hard covers for VH as well....paid $5.00 each though...still have the covers.)

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori Bigby (Loribigby) I thought Victoria Holt was her real name! I read many of her books years ago. Had no idea her name was Eleanor Hibbert and that her earliest books were written under the name of Eleanor Burford. Does anyone know anything about those?

message 33: by Annie (new)

Annie | 14 comments Thanks! Wow, there are a lot of titles that I haven't read. I'll have to go see what they have in hte library.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 5 comments Annie, there's a bibliography here (and much other information about the author and her books):

http://royal-intrigue.net/books/

message 31: by Annie (new)

Annie | 14 comments I love, love, love Victoria Holt. My first was King of the Castle and I read it my freshman year in high school. She only had about 6 of her VH titles under her belt at that time and so I waited impatiently for every new book. I own a copy of all of them that I purchased as they came out (apparently I have 3 of The Secret Woman, as I discovered when I moved recently--2 in paperback that I must have bought because I didn't think I had that one yet!) I discovered the Phillippa Carr novels in high school also, but not until my senior year and I started in on those. I've read those all in chronilogical order at least twice, which is fun because each protaganist is the daughter of the protaganist in the last novel. At first, there are the family diaries that get handed down from mother to daughter, but after a while you don't hear about them anymore. Presumably, they are in the library at the old homestead; yet each girl is given a diary which she keeps. I love this series.
I found the Jean Plaidy books a little later, after I was out on my own. I like them because I enjoy history and have read the Plantagenet series in order. After that I get a little lost--there are so many, I may not have gotten to them all yet--guess I'll have to find a bibliography online and start in on them again!

message 30: by Diana (new)

Diana | 24 comments Mod
Wonderful! I'm so glad to meet other V.H. fans!!

message 29: by Hervararsaga (last edited Nov 26, 2011 02:36PM) (new)

Hervararsaga | 1 comments Hi! I´m so glad I found this group - it´s the second one I´ve joined on goodreads.

My discovery was as follows:

When I was 11 my mom brought a huge box up from our basement. It was filled with all kinds of books that she had owned in her youth/earlyadulthood. I was a big reader and I started going through it, very excitedly. A lot of the books were english paper-backs (I´m icelandic and even though I could read english I didn´t start doing it for real until 13) and then some were in icelandic. One of those was Mistress of Mellyn, which in icelandic was "Frúin á Mellyn". I stopped going through the box at this point and just started making fun of the name! I saw in my mind a very stuffy uninteresting "lady" that just had tea all the time in a big house and didn´t really have a life. My mom said that this was a romance and she had liked this author. Me, being determined to see for my self how horrible this story would be, decided to read it. And in less than an hour, an obsession with Victoria Holt was born.
The local library had all of her books that had been published in Iceland and I read them all, a few times over (not all, but the ones I liked)

She is one of my 3 favorite authors. I like all her stuff. In this order are my four favorites:

1.Mistress of Mellyn
2.Kirkland revels
3.India fan
4.Legend of the seventh virgin.

Sadly I have lost Mistress of Mellyn, somewhere, but i´ve bought a lot of her books in the last 17 years, I must have at least 15, in 3 languages.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments My seventh grade English teacher introduced me to Victoria Holt and The Silk Vendetta. I was instantly hooked. I now own all of the books by Holt, Carr, and many by Plaidy. She is my all-time favorite author.

Sakura Yue Michaelis | 6 comments The first VH i read was Seven for a Secret. It was awesome, and I really liked Frederica (but her name not so much). Now I have like 25 books of VH, 1 of PC and 1 (and IMO, the worst) of JP, which is It began in Vauxhall Garden. Anyway, I read it so long ago, maybe if i read it now it would be better.

Its hard to pick up my favorites titles, so my least favorite ones are:
- The legend of the seventh virgin
- My enemy the queen
- The secret woman

message 26: by Juliet (new)

Juliet Moore (JulietMoore) | 2 comments I absolutely love The Mask of the Enchantress. I read it as a teenager and the idea of a poor girl impersonating the daughter of a wealthy family had me hooked.

It was my first VH - my mom had it somewhere in her room. I found it, asked if I could read it, and the rest is history. The great thing about VH is that young people can read them since she never goes beyond the bedroom door.

message 25: by Diana (last edited Aug 25, 2011 05:54PM) (new)

Diana | 24 comments Mod
I hear you. I'm trying to decide which one to read and it's like picking a favorite star. :)
I plan to alternate with other authors.. I'll let you know if it works. ;-)

message 24: by S.B. (new)

S.B. Niccum (sbniccum) | 5 comments As soon as I'm done reading about Rasputin, I'm diving back into VH and JP. For some reason when I start on a VH kick I can't get off for a while!

message 23: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 2 comments I've been reading VH since I was a teen and my mom handed me one of her books. I believe Kirkland Revels was the first one and I liked it enough to move onto another...then another...then another...and so on.

My favorite VH titles:
On the Night of the Seventh Moon
Spring of the Tiger
The Shivering Sands
Snare of Serpents

My mom's favorite is Mistress of Mellyn and my sister's favorite is The House of a Thousand Lanterns. :O)

I've also read the first three in her Daughters of England series (Phillipa Carr) and they are far more gothic and far less romantic, in my opinion. I still loved them, but not in the same way. I have a few Jean Plaidy books but haven't read any of them yet.

Great group, by the way!

On the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt Spring of the Tiger by Victoria Holt The Shivering Sands by Victoria Holt Snare of Serpents by Victoria Holt Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt The House of a Thousand Lanterns by Victoria Holt

message 22: by S.B. (new)

S.B. Niccum (sbniccum) | 5 comments I'm green with envy!

message 21: by Susan (last edited Aug 24, 2011 06:41AM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 5 comments Jemidar wrote: "So if as JP she wrote historicals and as VH she wrote romantic suspense/gothics, what did she write as Phillipa Carr?

Okay, that's two votes for Mistress of Mellyn :-).

Interesting Susan, I wonder why those two differed from the 'norm.' Is the style different to a Plaidy historical?"

No, in style, the two read like the books written as Jean Plaidy. The only reason I can think that they were written as Victoria Holt is because Marie Antoinette is also the subject of a Plaidy novel and because Lettice presumably figures prominently in Plaidy's novel about Robert Dudley.

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana | 24 comments Mod
From what I can tell, she used the name Phillipa Carr primarily in her Daughters of England Series. I've only read a couple out of context but the style seems to be very much the same as her "single" VH novels.

message 19: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar So if as JP she wrote historicals and as VH she wrote romantic suspense/gothics, what did she write as Phillipa Carr?

Okay, that's two votes for Mistress of Mellyn :-).

Interesting Susan, I wonder why those two differed from the 'norm.' Is the style different to a Plaidy historical?

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 5 comments I liked The Queen's Confession, which is about Marie Antoinette. As far as I know (correct me, please, if I'm wrong), it and My Enemy the Queen are unique among the Victoria Holt books in being written about an actual historical figure instead of purely fictitious ones.

I haven't read the other Victoria Holts, simply because my personal preference in historical fiction is for novels about actual historical figures.

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana | 24 comments Mod
Whatever you can get your hands on Jemidar! :)
My favorites are:
Mistress of Mellyn (1960)
The Shivering Sands (1969)
On the Night of the Seventh Moon (1972)
My Enemy, the Queen (1978)
Mask of the Enchantress (1980)
The Time of the Hunter's Moon (1983)
The Road to Paradise Island (1985)
Secret for a Nightingale (1986)
Silk Vendetta (1987)
The India Fan (1988)
The Captive (1989)
Seven for a Secret (1992)
The Black Opal (1993)

Hope that narrows it down...LOL

« previous 1

Victoria Holt, Jean Plaidy, Philippa Carr;...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Loves of Charles II (other topics)
The Devil on Horseback (other topics)
The Queen's Secret (other topics)
The Shivering Sands (other topics)
Mistress of Mellyn (other topics)
More...