Creative Reviews Book Club discussion

Sept 2011 Book - Dracula! > And The Talk begins here!!

Comments (showing 1-32)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 32: by Dale (last edited Oct 05, 2011 01:41PM) (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) OK, I concede the point! Yes, I was hoping I'd like it more, but I knew going in that I would have a hard time with the style. On to October!

Katy (KatyaS-69) Well, I don't think I said he was *portrayed* as sympathetic, I said I felt he was sympathetic - I, personally, sympathized with him. I'm sorry you weren't able to enjoy the writing - hopefully you'll enjoy this month's selection more - it was an AWESOME book!

message 30: by Dale (last edited Sep 30, 2011 04:05AM) (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Oh, I've been reading, it just took me so blasted long to get through it that I *finally* finished yesterday! With one day left to talk Dracula!

OK, I obviously didn't enjoy the old writing style, but if you wanted to teach someone how to pontificate through their writing, go ahead and pick up Dracula. I found myself thinking, "Get to the point already!" LOL

Anyway, Katy made a comment that she thought Dracula was portrayed as a sympathetic character, and that is true but only in a very small measure, in my opinion. Rather, it's only one (of many long tirades) from Mina, where she feels that Dracula is a victim as much as Lucy and herself. And you have the moment of peaceful look on his face as he dies. Other than that, the writing didn't portray Dracula as anything other than a monster, as we obviously never really got into his clever head...it's all just heresay. In comparison to today's novels where you see most writers working hard to show 2 sides to evil...no one is (or should be) truly evil just to be evil. So while you do have some sympathy for Dracula, it was given to you in small measure.

As for Lucy, I don't think she was much different than most girls in that time...it was a coup to collect numerous marriage proposals, but I didn't find her vain or shallow. Just silly and excited that she had 3 hot men after her. But she was definitely portrayed, in the book, as sweet.

Mysti Parker So sorry. I've been swamped with projects and another book to review. I did love Dracula as a youngster though :)

Katy (KatyaS-69) I was working on it a bit more last night and read a part in the letter from Sister Agatha to Mina, when she writes about Jonathan, that she knew he was an Englishman because of his crazed behaviour - that made me laugh my butt off ...

Amy (Dranea) | 91 comments Mod
Well, the month is coming to a close and it seems like many of us haven't been reading!! :)

Maybe we will have a better time next month! I am getting ready to head to random.org now to pick next months book!!

Katy (KatyaS-69) Well, Francis Ford Coppolla's adaptation for the film was pretty sympathetic toward Big D, IMHO. I think there was a "sequel" called Mina that someone wrote at some point in the past 10 years ... O.O My memory is so bad ... LOL But I've always felt like ol' Drac got a bad rap; he wasn't such a bad guy, when it all came down to it; he was just the result of a different culture and time. I think, with time, he'd had adapted somewhat.

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) | 12 comments Katy wrote: "I'm a bit less than 25% in; taking advantage of a few days' break in editing projects to get some TBR reading done.

So, how do people feel about the Count himself? I've always felt he was a sympa..."

That's an interesting point about Count D. being sympathetic. I actually had a discussion with my cousin last year about how the 'bad guy' in any book is actually the 'good guy' in his own story. I thought about writing a book from Dracula's POV, but since I already tackled the vampire thing, I figured I'd leave it for someone else.
Any takers? LOL...
I am not rereading this book b/c I have so much on my plate right now. I read it a few years ago, so I hope I'm allowed to participate in the discussions w/o rereading! :/

Katy (KatyaS-69) Dale wrote: "Well, I'm a little more than 1/2 through, and I'm finding it difficult to read. Not a big fan of these older books, classic or no, and I just don't find it holding my attention. It has highs and lo..."

It is a bit tricky to get into if you're not used to the style, but do your best to stick with it - I loved the book. I think once you've read it, a second read would be in order. There's a lot of really subtle stuff in there. Pick up the B&N Classics Series edition - it's free - there is some good stuff in the prologue that might help you.

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Well, I'm a little more than 1/2 through, and I'm finding it difficult to read. Not a big fan of these older books, classic or no, and I just don't find it holding my attention. It has highs and lows...some points I'm like "yeah, now it's getting interesting!" and then a few pages later I find myself bored. I haven't seen much of the Count yet, but I think I'm getting to a point where he becomes a more major player. I don't hate Lucy, she seems very sweet. A little flighty, maybe, but I think women were generally viewed that way back in the day!

Katy (KatyaS-69) I'm a bit less than 25% in; taking advantage of a few days' break in editing projects to get some TBR reading done.

So, how do people feel about the Count himself? I've always felt he was a sympathetic character - he's loved and lost and is now trying to find that love again. I've always felt bad for the guy. Sure he has to drink the blood of the living to survive, but hey, we all have our faults, right?

Where is everyone in their reading so far?

Carolyn Haven (Carolyn_Haven) | 4 comments Does anyone actually hate Lucy? Nevermind, forget I asked. Stephen, remember, the keyword is loophole(s). ;-)

Stephen Livingston | 6 comments "the ridiculous laws" I'm not sure this forum would have enough storage space to list all of them ;-)

Katy wrote: "OK, I've finished the Jonathan part and am on the part with Mina and Lucy ... I was pondering ... in the movies, Lucy is often shown as being shallow and vain, a silly creature who is flirtatious a..."

They had to find some way to get people going, always having that one character to hate is important! LOL

Katy (KatyaS-69) Carolyn wrote: "I agree; why not all three? She's a modern girl in a proprietary society."

It's the ridiculous laws that prevent it ... I tells ya ...

Carolyn Haven (Carolyn_Haven) | 4 comments I agree; why not all three? She's a modern girl in a proprietary society.

Katy (KatyaS-69) OK, I've finished the Jonathan part and am on the part with Mina and Lucy ... I was pondering ... in the movies, Lucy is often shown as being shallow and vain, a silly creature who is flirtatious and pits the three men (Holmwood, Seward and ... ummm .. the 3rd guy escapes me right now) against one another; but in the book, she is a kind, sweet-natured girl, whose heart breaks because she can't marry all three of the wonderful men who are in love with her (and, personally, I think that's a good idea - why limit yourself? Thoughts?). why do you think she's been portrayed so negatively, when her character is not at all that way?

Katy (KatyaS-69) Carolyn wrote: "Thanks. I just got a copy through kindle."

It's so beautifully written - first and one of only two books to ever give me nightmares. Very creepy!! It's a classic for a reason!

Carolyn Haven (Carolyn_Haven) | 4 comments Thanks. I just got a copy through kindle.

Katy (KatyaS-69) Carolyn wrote: "Reading Dracula may give me more ideas for my own characters. I've been wanting to read it for a while, but I always seem to be between projects. I'd really like to work it in though.

Happy Re..."

you've not actually ever read it? Wow, you're in for a treat!

Carolyn Haven (Carolyn_Haven) | 4 comments Reading Dracula may give me more ideas for my own characters. I've been wanting to read it for a while, but I always seem to be between projects. I'd really like to work it in though.

Happy Reading,
Carolyn Haven

Katy (KatyaS-69) Amy wrote: "I am ashamed, I have not yet started the book, and I really want to read this! Has anyone finished reading it yet?"

Gheesh, Amy, it's only the 5th ... wait, is it ... Yeah, the 5th! I think you have a few days before you have to feel guilty about not getting it started :-)

Mysti Parker I read the first couple of pages today at the zoo :) I hope to get it finished!

I am ashamed, I have not yet started the book, and I really want to read this! Has anyone finished reading it yet?

Katy (KatyaS-69) I only just got started on it last night. I'm reading the "Barnes & Noble Classics" edition, because the other edition I had was OCRed and started out with "Jonathan Barker's" journal for "May ist" and I figured ... that was NOT going to be good ... Anyway, one of the nifty things about the B&N Classics edition is there is a pretty extensive Introduction with information about Stoker's life, and various things to think about regarding the ideas behind "Dracula" and so forth. I started to read through it, but decided I would wait until AFTER I read the book to really look it over, so as to avoid influencing myself in my thoughts.

I'm looking forward to re-reading this book - the first (and one of only two) that ever gave me nightmares!

Mysti Parker It's been ages for me as well, so I'll go ahead and read it again :)

Stephen Livingston | 6 comments Bram Stoker's Dracula? I've already read it although it was a long time ago. I'll re-read it if I've got time but I'll be able to take part in the discussions either way as I remember it well.

Cambria (Cambria409) | 108 comments Mod
Dracula!

That will be the book we are going to be reading and talking about for Sept! :)

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) | 12 comments Wait, we're reading Dracula? How did I miss that?

Starting anytime after Sept 1, people can start putting their discussion remarks here! I can't wait!

unread topics | mark unread