Men's Book Club discussion

Questions > Best of 2011 so far?

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P. Christopher (new)

P. Christopher Colter (countofbluecars) | 12 comments Things have been kind of quiet in this group lately, so I am in hopes of spurring things with this. What's been your favorite read of 2011 so far? It doesn't have to be something published in 2011, just something you've read this year. For me, it's Mike Wood's Alchemy, a quirky, thought-provoking, unpredictable nostalgia piece set in 1984 Cape Cod.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Evans | 8 comments I've had several good reads this year. It is hard to pick a favorite but I remember enjoying East of Eden

message 3: by P. Christopher (new)

P. Christopher Colter (countofbluecars) | 12 comments I went through a major Steinbeck phase a few years ago, but burned myself out on his stuff before I got to East of Eden. I was just ready for something by someone different. I ought to go back to that book.

message 4: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Really enjoyed Freedom and Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN. I really enjoy Franzen's style of writing and his ability to develop a story. The ESPN book was just a great look behind the scenes of an entity that I spend so much time watching!!

message 5: by Paul (last edited Aug 22, 2011 11:32AM) (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 10 comments It's a classic, but "To Kill a Mockingbird" tops my list for the year. I actually listened to the audionbook that was narrated by Sissy Spacek. It was an amazing work!

I also enjoyed "Freedom" as well.

message 6: by Paul (last edited Sep 01, 2011 06:59PM) (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 10 comments I recently read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Amazing work, but it's a thinker of a book.

message 7: by Andy (last edited Oct 06, 2011 01:13PM) (new)

Andy | 134 comments The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid was brilliant... so good I read it in one afternoon. A fantastic cultural insight into the flip-side of the War on Terror.

message 8: by Lefty (last edited Oct 12, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Lefty (iudiekarie) | 26 comments My favorite, best of the year nod goes to Sword and Citadel, by Gene Wolfe. I'm very devoted to Wolfe's writing, and this work is one of his keystones. Very good read.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

East of Eden (other topics)
Freedom (other topics)
Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN (other topics)
Cloud Atlas (other topics)
Sword & Citadel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gene Wolfe (other topics)