Horror Aficionados discussion

Getting to Know You > Food, Glorious Food

Comments (showing 851-900 of 1,100) (1100 new)    post a comment »

message 851: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 3804 comments Gee, last time I checked fish, shrimp, etc etc is meat...and in some cases worse for you than chicken and beef...of which, I love them all!

message 852: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments I never said fish and shrimp aren't meat. I don't eat mammals or fowl, that makes me a pescetarian, not a vegetarian.

message 853: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 3804 comments Pescetarian? Seriously? Do I amuuuuuuuuuse you?

message 854: by Hatchetgabby (new)

Hatchetgabby | 136 comments I made somthing called Yorkshire pudding a few weeks ago,from what i hear it's a popular dish in england a friend suggested it to me,it's a pastry of sorts.It's like the UK's version of a buiscut...sort of,it's hard to discribe but it was beautiful when i first made it,so beautful that i took a picture of it lol golden brown with butter bubbling up for random areas,and it melted in your mouth it was a very unique but delicious flavor too.The recipe said to bake it in a brownie type dish basicaly so there was alot left over,so i left it over night but in the morning the consistancy had totaly change,it was a dense brick haha,i think i made it wrong lol

message 855: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments I've heard of Yorkshire Pudding but had no idea what it was. You should post your picture here.

I haven't been cooking too much lately. But I did make two loaves of Chocolate Zucchini Bread with the humongous zucchini my MIL gave me from her husband's farm. The zucchini yielded 6 1/2 cups of shredded zucchini.

message 856: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 4514 comments I was in a cooking slump lately. Didn't want to cook and couldn't think of anything I wanted to cook. So I've been looking around for something new to serve the family. Last night I made Chicken Brian and it was a hug hit and delicious.

message 857: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments I thought you typed Chicken BrAIn. I've been in a slump lately, too, but went to the store for provisions and now there will be no eating out!

On the menu for the next week: Grilled fish, corn-on-the-cob, mashed potatoes; grilled hamburgers and my everything-but-the-kitchen-sink baked beans; Death By Garlic, salad; my wonderful mac&cheese and lima beans; cheese enchiladas with homemade chili gravy; hot dogs, fries. That's all I remember.

Was sick of PB&J for lunch so today I brought a FBLT that Bandit would have loved. :-D

message 858: by Renee (new)

Renee (ElenaRenee) | 191 comments Hahahaha Me and my zombie fascination would love the recipe for Brian's brain. Thats how I read it at first.

message 859: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments That's 'cause we're all a bunch of psychos around here.

message 860: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 4514 comments LOL, chicken BRAIN. I've had a cows heart never a brain, maybe next week I can find a recipe.

message 861: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Tressa wrote: "I thought you typed Chicken BrAIn. I've been in a slump lately, too, but went to the store for provisions and now there will be no eating out!

On the menu for the next week: Grilled fish, corn-on-..."

Ha ha, now THAT would have been some dish... I wonder if it's in our White Trash cookbook, Tressa, ya figure maybe?

message 862: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments White trash will eat anything and waste nothing. My people... *bumps fist over heart in motion of pride*

message 863: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Tressa wrote: "White trash will eat anything and waste nothing. My people... *bumps fist over heart in motion of pride*"

LMAO!

message 864: by Ron (new)

Ron | 439 comments Just caught this thread. In Llano, Texas, there's a BBQ place called Cooper's. I specify the one in Llano because there are a few Cooper's around that were once affiliated but due to a family quarrel, are no longer associated...anyway...they cook the finest cabrito on the planet. My wife is from Monterrey, Mexico, which prides itself on it's cabrito. Cabrito in Monterrey is almost a religion, and even she admits that Cooper's has them beat. Another fine thing you can get in that part of the Hill Country is Dr. Pepper made with Imperial Sugar. Good stuff.

message 865: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments I used to love Dr. Pepper but it tastes like swill now.

message 866: by Ron (new)

Ron | 439 comments Tressa wrote: "I used to love Dr. Pepper but it tastes like swill now."

Hence the reason to get the ones made with Imperial Sugar.

message 867: by jennbunny (new)

jennbunny Byrkit | 2102 comments I am a Dr Pepper addict....I drink it all the time. I have not really cooked a proper meal in weeks. I miss cooking!

message 868: by Ron (new)

Ron | 439 comments Sadly enough, I was off of soft drinks altogether when they issued the anniversary edition '10-2-4' re-issue Dr. Peppers. I saw one guy come into a local grocery store and load at least twenty 12-packs into a cart.

message 869: by Ron (new)

Ron | 439 comments White Trash Cookbook: Lemme think of some of the things I have eaten...squirrel dumplings, turtle soup, head cheese...I'm sure I can think of some more...

message 870: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9761 comments My SO is making some zucchini feast, including zucchini bread. I'm so excited :)

message 871: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9761 comments mmm...update...officially just had the best zucchini bread ever

message 872: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Bandit wrote: "mmm...update...officially just had the best zucchini bread ever"

***sigh***

message 873: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Ron wrote: "Just caught this thread. In Llano, Texas, there's a BBQ place called Cooper's. I specify the one in Llano because there are a few Cooper's around that were once affiliated but due to a family quarr..."

Ok, Ron... Had never heard of cabrito, so I just looked it up.
Think I'm gonna faint......

message 874: by Ron (new)

Ron | 439 comments I like barbacoa quite a bit, too..that should really throw you for a loop.

message 875: by Randy (last edited Jul 20, 2012 08:11PM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 685 comments I love balkenbrij. My grandmother used to send us home with bricks of it when I was a kid.

But she couldn't make it without having the butcher save pieces of the pig for her that he normally throws out.

message 876: by jennbunny (new)

jennbunny Byrkit | 2102 comments A friend just gave me a recipe for Barbacoa.

message 877: by Ron (new)

Ron | 439 comments I once had some ranchers outside of Monterrey offer me tortillas, butter and live Agave worms...I politely declined. I don't eat menudo, either.

message 878: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments Bandit wrote: "mmm...update...officially just had the best zucchini bread ever"

No, you have not had my chocolate zucchini bread.

message 879: by glenda (last edited Jul 20, 2012 11:22PM) (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Tressa wrote: "Bandit wrote: "mmm...update...officially just had the best zucchini bread ever"

No, you have not had my chocolate zucchini bread."

Uh-oh... I knew you were going to have something to say on the subject, Tressa, easy now. ;O) Bandit can't have chocolate, otherwise, I'm sure she would find it delightful!

message 880: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments I would promise to send her some but my heart would be broken when she didn't believe me.

message 881: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9761 comments oh, Tressa...how could I not believe you? I'll just be checking my mail then, right? lol

and Glenda...well remembered...I have humans I've known for years in my life who still forget

message 882: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments What? Bandit can't have chocolate? Did I know this and totally forget?

message 883: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9761 comments et tu, Tressa? et tu?

message 884: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (MoanaLisa) | 23393 comments Bandit, I was dropped on my head repeatedly as a tot. Please refresh my memory and I swear I won't ever forget until next year.

message 885: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Tressa wrote: "Bandit, I was dropped on my head repeatedly as a tot. Please refresh my memory and I swear I won't ever forget until next year."

Tressa, don't feel bad! I only found out a couple of weeks ago, so it's still fresh in my mind, lol. So it's not like I really have a memory... I wish!

message 886: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Bandit wrote: "oh, Tressa...how could I not believe you? I'll just be checking my mail then, right? lol

and Glenda...well remembered...I have humans I've known for years in my life who still forget"

I'll try not to forget, Bandit. I just might remember, because I can't imagine not being able to eat chocolate. Sniff, sniff. Don't worry, I'll eat your share... Always willing to take one for the team, am I. ;O)

message 887: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9761 comments you've got a great team spirit, Glenda :)
I think my SO feels the same way about the chocolate eating too
could be worse, my SO's mom can't have mango, now that would be a sad thing for me

message 888: by jennbunny (new)

jennbunny Byrkit | 2102 comments Chocolate is my best friend! I will eat Bandit's fair share as well....Always willing to help out Glenda!

message 889: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9761 comments I can't believe you're willing to...gasp...eat chocolate for me...you guys are a credit to humanity :)

message 890: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 4514 comments I'll help!! I'll help!!

Never had chocolate zucchini bread. Never knew there was even such a thing.

message 891: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Bandit wrote: "you've got a great team spirit, Glenda :)
I think my SO feels the same way about the chocolate eating too
could be worse, my SO's mom can't have mango, now that would be a sad thing for me"

I like your spunk, Bandit! I suppose you do adapt after awhile. I started a medication several years ago that makes me unable to eat grapefruit, and that was crushing for quite awhile, but I've (mostly) adjusted. I ADORED grapefruit!
I still 'get to Jones'in' once in awhile though, lol

message 892: by glenda (last edited Jul 21, 2012 11:17AM) (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Bandit wrote: "I can't believe you're willing to...gasp...eat chocolate for me...you guys are a credit to humanity :)"

Meh, you do what you can... ;O) We gotcha back gf...

message 893: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12633 comments Mod
Chocolate?

message 894: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Chocolate?"

LOL! Jon, you're too late! We ate it all!

message 895: by Jon Recluse (new)

glenda wrote: "Jon Recluse wrote: "Chocolate?"

LOL! Jon, you're too late! We ate it all!"

No chocolate?

*sniffle*

message 896: by MountainShelby (new)

MountainShelby I am at a wine festival and not drinking! but lots of sinful food!

message 897: by Jon Recluse (new)

Chocolate?

message 898: by glenda (new)

glenda (ayngelwing) | 1239 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Chocolate?"

oh, boy... okay, here is some chocolate for you. I hope you appreciate that I had to go all the way to the mall.... I got you a mix cause I don't know which kind of chocolate you prefer.

Now, get a tissue and wipe your nose, and stop it with the sniffles!

message 899: by Jon Recluse (new)

Thanks, Glenda!
You're the best!
It's okay, I already used my sleeve.....

message 900: by Jon Recluse (new)

I love perogies!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

White Trash Cooking (other topics)
Culture Shock! Italy: A Guide to Customs and Etiquette (other topics)
The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round (other topics)
The Help (other topics)
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (other topics)
More...