Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles Bewitching discussion

RIP OFF COVER

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathalia Suellen - (last edited Oct 14, 2011 08:35PM) (new)

Nathalia Suellen - Cover Artist The story starts with Harper Collins inviting me to create a cover to Bewitching. They wanted something similar with "City of Angels". I remember I had refused it because this artwork had been already sold to another book. However it looks like they got angry with me and decided to copy my artwork. I have just received an email from LK RIGEL asking If I had sold my artwork "City of Angels".

It was totaly copied.

READ MORE:
http://www.lkrigel.com/2011/08/should...

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Damn shame. And absolutely despicable of Harper Collins. They should be ashamed. Here's hoping LK Riger sells boatloads of books, and I hope the artist sues the pants off of HC.

message 3: by G.N. (new) - added it

G.N. Disgusting on the part of Harper Collins. Sue the bastards!

message 4: by Nathalia Suellen - (last edited Oct 14, 2011 08:36PM) (new)

Nathalia Suellen - Cover Artist Yes, this is crazy. I'm the artist of the book of LK RIGEL.

In September 2010, the writter LK RIGEL contact me about the licence of my artwork "City of Angels". The licence was sold to her and now she is using it in her book "Spiderwork".

Some months later, to more exactly May 2011, Harper Collins contacted me, asking if I were interested in creating a cover to Bewitched.

Going straight to the point, I refused the work. The reasons were quite simple:

When she said she were interested in buy "City of Angels" she already knew the art was sold to another author. Sasha asked if even so were possible to buy the image and right after asked some informations about LK RIGEL such as (nationatity, book section). I immediately refused her proposal because I really don't think it's nice to have books with the same cover or something too similar. Doesn't matter if it's a big company or a self publisher.

All the time this story seemed a bit dishonest and selfish. I mean, why someone want to buy a cover that is already in use? I created this artwork in 2009, nobody wanted to buy it. "City of Angels" is not the most famous or popular artwork from my gallery. But now, everybody want to buy it, suddenly. I mean, it's not at auction.
I feel like someone trying to buy me, because its a publisher or whatever it is. They do everything to get what they want. Doens't really matter if you are an artist or writter. There's no respect at all. And I wonder: where is the originality and capacity of thinking and creating of this poor art director? Harper Collins is paying its workers to copy.

And by the way, I contacted Sasha Illingworth about this and no answers so far.
and I just want to clarify that not all publishers are like this. This was my first disappointment with a publisher or company.

Summing up,
they paied another artist to copy me.

message 5: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Rigel Nathalia, your integrity is fantastic. I hope Harper Collins pulls that copy cover.

message 6: by Moses (new)

Moses Siregar III I can't believe they asked you for LK Rigel's nationality, Nathalia.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Well, IMHO her nationality would determine what copyright laws she fell under, and how stringently those laws were enforced in that country.

They asked for the genre to see if they'd be "shelved" together on Amazon. Can you imagine both showing up at the same time.

I love your work Nathalia. I bet you this unfortunate incident has led lots of people to you.

message 8: by T.M. (new)

T.M. I hope you seek restitution, Nathalia. There are lawyers who work pro bono for artists, do a search for them in Google. I feel bad for the authors involved, but most of all for you. {{{{hug}}}}

Nathalia Suellen - Cover Artist they removed the cover. like if anything had seen it.

message 10: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki Well the silver lining to this terrible news is your name is getting out there more. Hopefully this will open more positive doors for you because you are talented.

Jennifer I got a proof copy from the publisher with the disputed cover.

Shelby Okay, so I read the article and everything, and although I must agree that the company was extremely wrong to make so similar a cover, expecially after you had specifically declined usage, the cover they went with looks completely different. I agree with you, but also say you are making a bit to big of a deal out of it. A blog post? Okay. A completely scathing blog post? Mmm, not so okay, especially when the author of the series that the original cover was copied from said that all was now well.

I'm not saying that you're in the wrong, because if anyone is it would be the publishing company. I'm just saying that it seems to me that this whole ordeal has already ended.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles (other topics)