Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 5596 comments Post any books set in Kenya here.

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Sep 17, 2011 10:37AM) (new)

Diane | 5596 comments Books set in Kenya:

The Camel Bookmobile by Masha HamiltonThe Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton
Unbowed by Wangari MaathaiUnbowed by Wangari Maathai
The Constant Gardener by John le CarréThe Constant Gardener by John le Carré
Out of Africa by Isak DinesenOut of Africa by Karen Blixen
Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'oWizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
Green Hills of Africa (Arrow Classic) by Ernest HemingwayGreen Hills of Africa by Ernest Hemingway
Death in Kenya by M.M. KayeDeath in Kenya by M.M. Kaye
Born Free by Joy AdamsonBorn Free by Joy Adamson
West with the Night by Beryl MarkhamWest with the Night by Beryl Markham
The White Masai by Corinne HofmannThe White Masai by Corinne Hofmann
A Grain of Wheat (African Writers Series) by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'oA Grain of Wheat by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
White Mischief by James FoxWhite Mischief by James Fox
Desertion  A Novel by Abdulrazak GurnahDesertion by Abdulrazak Gurnah
My Maasai Life by Robin WiszowatyMy Maasai Life by Robin Wiszowaty
Weep Not, Child by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'oWeep Not, Child by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
Murder on Safari by Elspeth HuxleyMurder on Safari by Elspeth Huxley
Coming to Birth (Women Writing Africa) by Marjorie Oludhe MacgoyeComing to Birth by Marjorie Oludhe Macgoye
The River Between (African Writers) by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'oThe River Between by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas DraysonA Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drayson
The Flame Trees of Thika  Memories of an African Childhood (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) by Elspeth HuxleyThe Flame Trees of Thika: Memories of an African Childhood by Elspeth Huxley
Sunrise Song (Treasures of the Heart #4) by Catherine PalmerSunrise Song: Treasures of the Heart by Catherine Palmer
The African Poison Murders (Penguin Crime Monthly) by Elspeth HuxleyThe African Poison Murders by Elspeth Huxley
Petals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'oPetals of Blood by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
Lioness by Nell BrienLioness by Nell Brien
Out in the Midday Sun  My Kenya by Elspeth HuxleyOut in the Midday Sun: My Kenya by Elspeth Huxley
Devil on the Cross (African Writers) by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'oDevil on the Cross by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
Moving the Maasai  A Colonial Misadventure (St. Antony's) by Lotte HughesMoving the Maasai: A Colonial Misadventure by Lotte Hughes
Matigari by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'oMatigari by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
The Bolter  Edwardian Heartbreak and High Society Scandal in Kenya by Frances OsborneThe Bolter: Edwardian Heartbreak and High Society Scandal in Kenya by Frances Osborne
Nowhere in Africa  An Autobiographical Novel by Stefanie ZweigNowhere in Africa: An Autobiographical Novel by Stefanie Zweig
Dreams in a Time of War  A Childhood Memoir by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'oDreams in a Time of War: A Childhood Memoir by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
It's Our Turn to Eat by Michela WrongIt's Our Turn to Eat by Michela Wrong
Allan Quatermain by H. Rider HaggardAllan Quatermain by H. Rider Haggard
How to be a Kenyan by Wahome MutahiHow to be a Kenyan by Wahome Mutahi
Nairobi Heat by Mukoma wa NgugiNairobi Heat by Mukoma wa Ngugi
Going Down River Road by Meja MwangiGoing Down River Road by Meja Mwangi
Forest of the Pygmies (Eagle and Jaguar, #3) by Isabel AllendeForest of the Pygmies by Isabel Allende
I Dreamed of Africa by Kuki GallmannI Dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann
A Change in Altitude by Anita ShreveA Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve
Homeland  An Extraordinary Story of Hope and Survival by George ObamaHomeland: An Extraordinary Story of Hope and Survival by George Obama
Almost Adam  A Novel by Petru PopescuAlmost Adam: A Novel by Petru Popescu
Elephant Memories  Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family by Cynthia MossElephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family by Cynthia Moss
African Nights by Kuki GallmannAfrican Nights by Kuki Gallmann
Safari Adventure (Knight Books) by Willard PriceSafari Adventure by Willard Price
The Mottled Lizard by Elspeth HuxleyThe Mottled Lizard by Elspeth Huxley
Silence Will Speak  A Study of the Life of Denys Finch Hatton and His Relationship With Karen Blixen by Errol TrzebinskiSilence Will Speak by Errol Trzebinski
My Pride and Joy  An Autobiography by George AdamsonMy Pride and Joy: An Autobiography by George Adamson
A Friend of the Court by Műroki Ndűng'űA Friend of the Court by Műroki Ndűng'ű
Rejected but not forsaken; HIV &AIDS, my story by Aloo, JenifferRejected but not forsaken; HIV &AIDS, my story by Aloo, Jeniffer
Against the traditions by Mwaura NjorogeAgainst the traditions by Mwaura Njoroge
The Worlds of a Maasai Warrior  An Autobiography by Tepilit Ole SaitotiThe Worlds of a Maasai Warrior: An Autobiography by Tepilit Ole Saitoti
One Day I Will Write About This Place by Binyavanga WainainaOne Day I Will Write About This Place by Binyavanga Wainaina
Going Places by Billy HopkinsGoing Places by Billy Hopkins
The Temptress by Paul SpicerThe Temptress by Paul Spicer
My Kenya Days by Wilfred ThesigerMy Kenya Days by Wilfred Thesiger
Shrunken Dream, The by Jane Tapsubei CreiderShrunken Dream, The by Jane Tapsubei Creider
Discovering Home by Binyavanga WainainaDiscovering Home by Binyavanga Wainaina
Child of Happy Valley  A Memoir by Juanita CarberryChild of Happy Valley: A Memoir by Juanita Carberry
A Dreamer's Paradise by David KaranjaA Dreamer's Paradise by David Karanja
Happy Valley by Meja MwangiHappy Valley by Meja Mwangi
A Farm Called Kishinev by M.O. MacoyeA Farm Called Kishinev by M.O. Macoye
Kenya Under Kenyatta by Veena MalhotraKenya Under Kenyatta by Veena Malhotra
Facing Mount Kenya by Jomo KenyattaFacing Mount Kenya by Jomo Kenyatta
Too Close to the Sun  The Audacious Life and Times of Denys Finch Hatton by Sara WheelerToo Close to the Sun: The Audacious Life and Times of Denys Finch Hatton by Sara Wheeler
Wildflower  An Extraordinary Life and Untimely Death in Africa by Mark SealWildflower: An Extraordinary Life and Untimely Death in Africa by Mark Seal
Wildlife Wars  My Fight to Save Africa's Natural Treasures by Richard E. LeakeyWildlife Wars: My Fight to Save Africa's Natural Treasures by Richard E. Leakey
Red Strangers (Penguin Classics) by Elspeth HuxleyRed Strangers by Elspeth Huxley
Red Strangers  The White Tribe of Kenya by C.S. NichollsRed Strangers: The White Tribe of Kenya by C.S. Nicholls
Mau Mau  An African Crucible by Robert B. EdgertonMau Mau: An African Crucible by Robert B. Edgerton
SOMETHING OF VALUE by Robert RuarkSOMETHING OF VALUE by Robert Ruark
Green City in the Sun by Barbara WoodGreen City in the Sun by Barbara Wood
Murder at Government House (Crime, Penguin) by Elspeth HuxleyMurder at Government House by Elspeth Huxley
Present Moment (Women Writing Africa) by Marjorie Oludhe MacgoyePresent Moment by Marjorie Oludhe Macgoye
Homing In (Sparrow Reader Series, 20) by Marjorie Oludhe MacgoyeHoming In by Marjorie Oludhe Macgoye
The Cliff Dwellers of Kenya (Library of African Study) by J.A. MassamThe Cliff Dwellers of Kenya by J.A. Massam
The Shadow of Kilimanjaro by Rick RidgewayThe Shadow of Kilimanjaro by Rick Ridgeway
The In-between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. VassanjiThe In-between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji
Jambo, Mama by Melinda AtwoodJambo, Mama by Melinda Atwood
The Book of Secrets  A Novel by M.G. VassanjiThe Book of Secrets: A Novel by M.G. Vassanji
The Clouds Beneath the Sun by Mackenzie FordThe Clouds Beneath the Sun by Mackenzie Ford
Bill Bryson's African Diary by Bill BrysonBill Bryson's African Diary by Bill Bryson
Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1) by Suzanne ArrudaMark of the Lion by Suzanne Arruda (1st of series set in Kenya)
Isak Dinesen  The Life of a Storyteller by Judith ThurmanIsak Dinesen: The Life of a Storyteller by Judith Thurman
Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra FullerCocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller
Bait (Jake and Jouma, #1) by Nick BrownleeBait by Nick Brownlee (1st book in series set in Kenya)
Burn My Heart by Beverley NaidooBurn My Heart by Beverley Naidoo
I Refuse to Die  My Journey for Freedom by Koigi wa WamwereI Refuse to Die: My Journey for Freedom by Koigi wa Wamwere
Going Down River Road by Meja MwangiGoing Down River Road by Meja Mwangi
Letters from Africa, 1914-1931 by Karen BlixenLetters from Africa, 1914-1931 by Karen Blixen
Nellie  Letters from Africa by Elspeth HuxleyNellie: Letters from Africa by Elspeth Huxley
Imperial Reckoning  The Untold Story of Britain's Gulag in Kenya by Caroline Elkins by Caroline Elkins
The Green Belt Movement  Sharing the Approach and the Experience by Wangari MaathaiThe Green Belt Movement: Sharing the Approach and the Experience by Wangari Maathai
Defeating Mau Mau, Creating Kenya by Daniel BranchDefeating Mau Mau, Creating Kenya by Daniel Branch
Mau Mau and Kenya  An Analysis of a Peasant Revolt (Blacks in the Diaspora) by Wunyabari O. MalobaMau Mau and Kenya: An Analysis of a Peasant Revolt by Wunyabari O. Maloba
Elspeth Huxley  A Biography by C.S. NichollsElspeth Huxley: A Biography by C.S. Nicholls
Deadly Safari (A Jazz Jasper Mystery) by Karin McQuillanDeadly Safari by Karin McQuillan (1st in series set in Kenya)
A Fool's Knot by Philip SpiresA Fool's Knot by Philip Spires
Histories of the Hanged  The Dirty War in Kenya and the End of Empire by David AndersonHistories of the Hanged: The Dirty War in Kenya and the End of Empire by David Anderson

Kelli Robinson (kellifrobinson) I have started a Listopia list of books set in Kenya here: Books Set in Kenya. I compiled the list from this thread but there are many more books not yet on the list due to the 100 book limit. Feel free to vote for your favorites and/or add books that I missed!

message 7: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

message 9: by Alexandria (last edited Jun 02, 2014 01:46PM) (new)