Janet Evanovich Book Group discussion

If you like Stephanie Plum you'll love.....

Comments (showing 1-50 of 95) (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) Looking for suggestions! I'm tearing through this series and loving every minute. Already looking for my next series to read.

Are there any (long) series out there that compare to this one?

Recommendations wanted!

Thanks!

message 3: by Laina (new)

Laina Parker | 1 comments Another great Stephanie is Stephanie Chalice in Lawrence Kelter's books! The Brain Vault is his newest but they're all great. Definitely in the same vein!

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 4: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments How to Murder a Millionaire byNancy Martin a series of 7 books and

Bobbie Faye's Very (Very, Very, Very) Bad Day by Toni McGee Causey series which is like having a Stephanie Plum on Crack in the bayou!

Both are very funny and quite similar to Janet Evanovich series.

message 5: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) Thank you so much for the recommendations! I will definitely check them out!

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Thornhill | 9 comments Hi Kelleigh,
The Stephanie Plum series was my inspiration for writing the Lady Justice mystery/comedy series.
In fact, the very first thing I ever wrote was me pretending to be Janet and writing three 'Stephanie' chapters just to see if I could do it.
You can read them here:
http://booksbybob.com/stephanie-plum_...
My wife liked them so well, she encouraged me to start my own series.
I have just finished the sixth volume in the Lady Justice series.
I have a special promotion exclusively for my Goodreads friends if you're interested.
http://booksbybob.com/goodreads_333.html
Enjoy!
Bob T.

message 7: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) Hi Robert I read your three "stephanie plum" chapters...really good!

I'll have to check out your books!

Has anyone Read the In Death series by J.D Robb? I hear they are fantastic... 31 books and counting.

Thanks!

message 8: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments I AM!!!!!!! I just picked up books 5,6 and 7. I love the In Death series!

message 9: by Maritza (new)

Maritza | 3 comments There is a series by Lois Greiman that starts with "unzipped". very much like the stephanie plum seires only the main character is a psychologist.

message 10: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH Maritza thanks for that one. Put it on my 2BR pile.

:o)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the closest thing to being as funny as Stephenie Plum is Sookie Stackhouse. Sookie has some kookie friends also and gets in all sorts of jams.

Dead Until Dark

message 12: by Kb (new)

Kb | 8 comments I agree with Alice, Sookie is funny - but as the books go on it gets more "dark" and the humour diminishes. Try Marian Keyes for more lighthearted fun.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Marian Keyes, thanks Kb! I will do a search for her right now. I need something light.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jenknee) | 5 comments has anybody read the High Heels series by Gemma Halliday? the main character is kinda similiar to stephanie. She's always getting herself in trouble, has man trouble, dates a detective, and it's funny. there are currently 5 books in this series.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

oh, and i also love Toni McGee Causey's Bobbie Faye Series. There are currently 3 books in that series but i heard there will be more! :) http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Check em out!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "has anybody read the High Heels series by Gemma Halliday? the main character is kinda similiar to stephanie. She's always getting herself in trouble, has man trouble, dates a detective, and it's fu..."

The title turns me off so much I would never read anything titled High Heels. At least Stephenie has sense enough to wear shoes she can run in most days.
I have balance problems so that title gives me vertigo.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 12 comments Katie Macallister's Aisling Grey series is similar. It features a heroine is is in way over her head, and a snarky sidekick. It does fall in the paranormal category though. I believe the first one is called "You Slay Me".

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 11 comments Alice wrote: "The title turns me off so much I would never read anything titled High Heels. At least Stephenie has sense enough to wear shoes she can run in most days. "

The main character in the High Heels series (Maddie) is not a bounty hunter like Stephanie Plum is. Maddie's job doesn't require wearing more sensible shoes, she's not a spy, detective, bounty hunter, etc and in fact, she's an aspiring shoe designer, which is the main reason for the title. It's one of those where the main character just happens to fall into these mystery plots - which does get to be a bit unrealistic as the series goes on but it's a common theme in this genre/sub-genre.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 12 comments The High Heels series is under $5 on Nook books. I will try it out.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jenknee) | 5 comments you can't always judge a book by it's title.

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark Birchall (goodreadscomgabbi) | 7 comments s j rozan,s lydia chin and bill smith series are worth a look starting with china trade.

message 21: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 5 comments Have any of you ever read Plum fan fiction? There is a really well written fan fic on FanFiction.net called Change by SmellsLikeFreesias. I highly recommend it!!!

message 22: by Magpie67 (last edited Nov 05, 2011 08:51PM) (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments Nancy Martin Blackbird sisters series
Toni McGee Causey bobbie Faye series

I am loving the JD Robb series!!!!

Joanne Fluke Hannah Swensen series
Denise Swanson Scumble River series
Charlaine Harris Aurora Teagarden series
Sue Grafton Alphabet series

Donna Andrews Meg Langslow series
Stephanie Bond Carlotta Wren series

Miranda Bliss Cooking Class Murder series

also on the front of this book they say move over Kinsey Milhone and Stephanie Plum---- The Stranger You Seek

message 23: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Magpie67 wrote: "Nancy Martin Blackbird sisters series

Joanne Fluke Hannah Swensen se..."

Sweet!! More series to add to my TBR pile...Thanks! I'm still trying to get the Bobbie Faye series from my library, but no luck yet.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

It's the start of a series, so there's only one book, but I read that the author is coming out with Book Two shortly. I read this one and thought it was HILARIOUS - but much more hardboiled than Stephanie Plum: Death By Sarcasm by Dani Amore

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly Davis (BlueAngel820) | 7 comments I'm a book junkie. I would love to find more series books than stand alone. That way you see how the characters have a chance to evolve into better people and have happiness like a birthday cake when its not you birthday. Nothing beats that. lol. I am going to stay on subject. I will check out some if not ALL suggestions. Thank you!

message 26: by Robert (new)

Robert Thornhill | 9 comments Hi Holly,
If you are a Janet Evanovich fan I think you will like my Lady Justice mystery/comedy series.
Janet was my inspiration for writing this six volume series.
You can read how all this came about and check out the books by following this link.
http://booksbybob.com/stephanie-plum_...
Be sure to read the reviews from other Goodreads friends.
Bob T. Lady Justice Takes A C.R.A.P. City Retiree Action Patrol (Lady Justice#1) by Robert Thornhill

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1 comments Just discovered Shelly Fredman's books ... the "There's No Such Thing As.." series. LOVE them. They're more like the Stephanie Plum series than anything else I've found. Different, but equally good. Brandy Alexander is the main character, she gets into all sorts of trouble while solving crimes, she's laugh-out-loud funny, the plots are good, and there are 2 guys in her life for a little romance. Odd that I'm a huge Morelli fan in Evanovich's books, but in Fredman's, I'm a huge fan of Nick (the hunky, mystery guy with suspect background). Give these books a try .. they're really great.

message 28: by Elena (last edited Jun 21, 2012 10:42AM) (new)

Elena Diane wrote: "...Brandy Alexander is the main character, she gets into all sorts of trouble while solving crimes, she's laugh-out-loud funny, the plots are good, and there are 2 guys in her life for a little romance. Odd that I'm a huge Morelli fan in Evanovich's books, but in Fredman's, I'm a huge fan of Nick (the hunky, mystery guy with suspect background)...."

Oh wow, that sounds like a total rip-off of the Plum series... Or is it the other way a round?! I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the info everyone!

message 29: by Komal (last edited Jun 21, 2012 09:13AM) (new)

message 30: by Meesha (new)

Meesha (meemee) | 1 comments Does anyone know if you can get the Brandy Alexander series book number 1 on the Nook? I can't seem to find it anywhere........

message 31: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments I have another author with two books out on the Kindle I thought was humerous and like Stephanie Plum.She is working on her third book and I'm thrilled!

Evan Katy

January Kills Me and A Bomb in February

message 32: by Dnelson (new)

Dnelson | 4 comments Meesha wrote: "Does anyone know if you can get the Brandy Alexander series book number 1 on the Nook? I can't seem to find it anywhere........"

I was just looking for it! I wrote to customer service to ask them, because it is available for the Kindle on amazon for only $.99. I will let you know if I get a response :)

message 33: by Mark (new)

Mark Birchall (goodreadscomgabbi) | 7 comments Tori carrington's Sofie metropolis is exactly like Stephanie plum but with a Greek twist.

message 34: by Dnelson (new)

Dnelson | 4 comments Magpie67 wrote: "Nancy Martin Blackbird sisters series

Joanne Fluke Hannah Swensen series
Denise Swanson Scumble River series
Charlaine Ha..."

Thanks for the great recs. I started the Stephanie Bond series, and really like it! Its got a good pace, and solid characters.

message 35: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondaiscrazy) | 1 comments I adore the "In Death" series. Roarke and Eve are one of the most fascinating couples in all of bookdom!

message 36: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments Indeed!!!!

message 37: by Abby (new)

Abby | 2 comments Another great series is "A Psychic Eye Mystery" series. Abby Cooper is hilarious :D

message 38: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments I marked this book and realized I had marked her other title series What's a Ghoul to Do?

message 39: by Conlea (new)

Conlea | 2 comments Kelleigh wrote: "Looking for suggestions! I'm tearing through this series and loving every minute. Already looking for my next series to read.

Are there any (long) series out there that compare to this one?

Reco..."

message 40: by Conlea (new)

Conlea | 2 comments Try something by Gemma Halliday. Her writing is so similar to Evanovich that she must be her clone.

message 41: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 9 comments Kelleigh wrote: "Hi Robert I read your three "stephanie plum" chapters...really good!

Has anyone Read the In Death series by J.D Robb? I hear they are fantastic... 31 books an..."

I have read two in the series...

message 42: by Robert (new)

Robert Thornhill | 9 comments Claudia wrote: "Kelleigh wrote: "Hi Robert I read your three "stephanie plum" chapters...really good!

Has anyone Read the In Death series by J.D Robb? I hear they are fantast..."

Hi Kelleigh,
Here is a link to a special page exclusively for my Goodreads friends.
http://booksbybob.com/goodreads_333.html
Bob T.

message 43: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 1 comments Another series which reminds me and is fun like the Stephanie Plum series is the Shelby Nichols series eg.
Carrots.

message 44: by Elena (new)

Elena The "Wicked" series has begun and to me they are very similar to Stephanie Plum, but i'm hating it!! The dialogue seems so immature, the heroine is whiny and annoing...Diesel just weird (besides being hot)... I think that fact I chose audio books is what killed it for me - it's the same narrator! So she (obviously) sounds just like Stephanie Plum and all the other characters sound just like Plum series characters, not to mention that the plot is cookie cutter material, so I can't seem to sepparate the two series !

message 45: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 26 comments Another good series kind of like the Plum books is Heller by JD Nixon. There are currently 4 books in the series with a 5th one coming out in the next several months.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

message 46: by Sunnie (new)

Sunnie Stonelake | 2 comments Jana DeLeon writes The Ghost-in-law series Trouble in Mudbug was the first one. It was good and free on Amazon! The secind book was only $3.99 on kindle

The Hannah Swensen series is good and the recipes are good!

message 47: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 7 comments I really like the Women's Murder Club books by James Patterson and his Alex Cross series. Those both have a bunch of books. WMC is up to 11, and AC is close to 20 I think. the High Heels books 1-5 are in a set for $10 for nook on bn.com right now if you are interested in them...

message 48: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments Thanks for the fun title dealing with ghosts. I'm going to try it.

message 49: by Candice (new)

Candice | 1 comments I loved the Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. There are 5 books so far, each one more hysterical than the last.

message 50: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 78 comments I have the Spellman's on my list to read.... I have a few of the first titles

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bobbie Faye's Very (Very, Very, Very) Bad Day (other topics)
How to Murder a Millionaire (other topics)
Dead Until Dark (other topics)
The Stranger You Seek (other topics)
Death By Sarcasm (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nancy Martin (other topics)
Toni McGee Causey (other topics)
Donna Andrews (other topics)
Stephanie Bond (other topics)
Sue Grafton (other topics)
More...