British Horror discussion

Horror's getting bigger

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin Leslie (Blackabyss) | 27 comments Mod
Literally bigger that is. A visit to Waterstones this weekend found the horror section had grown from two columns to three and is now bigger than the paranormal romance section.

So is this a sign that the market is picking up, are more books being published? I hope so but what do you think?

message 2: by James (new)

James Everington | 20 comments Hopefully. My Waterstones does have about three shelves of horror, but as at least a third of it appears to be just the 'K' section (King and Koontz - I mean still? in 2011?) it's not saying much. Even writers we might consider big names, Ramsey Campbell say, have maybe two or three books.

And I don't mean titles; I mean actual books.

message 3: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Chamberlin | 12 comments Let's hope it's a sign it's getting bigger and making a strong comeback. But the extra books in the horror section - were they American or British?

message 4: by Philip (new)

Philip Hemplow | 5 comments Maybe the books are just getting thicker. :-o

message 5: by Colin (last edited Aug 17, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Colin Leslie (Blackabyss) | 27 comments Mod
Well James has a point there is one column that is practically all King/Koontz but that was always there. Many of the books are indeed American or revamped Lovecraft collections but there is an increasing core of decent British horror books, Tim Lebbon, Conrad Williams and obviously things like the new Hammer range are beginning to build up. Still no sign of The Caretaker though Adrian.

As for books getting thicker, you may have a point Philip. King's forthcoming novel is supposed to be another 960 page whopper!

message 6: by ! (new)

!  | 5 comments Books are getting bigger, in that so many of them are trade paperback size.

message 7: by James (new)

James Everington | 20 comments To be fair, my Waterstones also had a smattering of small-press books, including Mark Samuels and Gary McMahon.

message 8: by Ginger Nuts (new)

Ginger Nuts  (GingerNutsofHorror) | 2 comments If you are even in Edinburgh go to Blackwells on the Bridges four, floor to ceiling bays of horror books, with only about half a bay dedicated to King and Koontz. Their buyer knows her stuff

message 9: by Adrian (last edited Mar 26, 2012 05:48PM) (new)

Adrian Chamberlin | 12 comments Hi folks,

Hope everyone is well. We at Dark Continents are having a little discussion on the merits of the small press and reading in general. Please stop by our blog or Facebook page and chip in to the chats.

Cheers,

Adrian

http://darkcontinents.wordpress.com/2...

unread topics | mark unread