flight paths discussion

About Books & Reading > Marketing

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 492 comments I have twice read a long book, the latest The Way of Kings: The Stormlight Archive and then found the marketing people split it into 2. The other was To Green Angel Tower.

Sometimes there is no obvious divisable line in the story and something is lost in the split.

With the Kindle around, there is an alternative for a lighter read.

What is it with Sales and Marketing people or is it just a ploy to extend the revenue line. It frustrates me.

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments It occurred to me as I was ranting on about publishers and publishing on another thread (to kindle or not}
that you may be onto something here.

This may be where the real villians dwell.

With sales and marketing, its all units and how quickly you can move them in order to "extend the revenue line"

message 3: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 492 comments I note that sometime Sales is about Units not necessarily profit or even good use of (limited) environmental resources.

I am happy to read physical books as long as they are not made from virgin pulp.

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments Ice wrote: "I note that sometime Sales is about Units not necessarily profit or even good use of (limited) environmental resources.

I am happy to read physical books as long as they are not made from virgin..."

When something is regarded as a unit, the thing in itself becomes almost irrelevant, and retreats from meaning.

In that case, its all about profit

I have an uncomfortable feeling that kindles are made by virgins (children) in sweatshops. Do you know otherwise?

message 5: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 492 comments Cotton Mills and the 18th & 19th century spring to mind.

No matter how the brands try and manage 'reputation' I think everyone knows it goes on. Think of Nike, the price we pay for wanting everything on the cheap (relabelled affordability).

This is not entirely a 'Third World' problem.

message 6: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments Considering the price of brand name shoes, and how fast kids grow out of them, and how important well fitting shoes are, somebody has got to pay.

Poverty and exploitation are a world wide epidemic,on the rise.

message 7: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 492 comments Not necessarily on the rise proportionally, but certainly more visible.

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments I think yes proportionately.
There is a visibly shrinking middle class. a few superrich and burgeoning poverty in the affluent lands, like here in Canada.

Shopping for groceries,it becomes terribly clear.

message 9: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 492 comments but rich in spirit

:-)

message 10: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments Kinkajou wrote: "Ice wrote: "I note that sometime Sales is about Units not necessarily profit or even good use of (limited) environmental resources.

I am happy to read physical books as long as they are not made f..."

this may not be true, but I was under the impression that paper for books is generally made from tree pulp, left over from what is taken for lumber and cabinet making. The tree is already ripped from its home and paper making is finding a good use for the residue of its processing.

In Thailand I got to visit a small factory, and buy samples of gorgeous paper made there, of elephant dung. So I believe there must be lovely alternatives.

message 11: by Melissa, Lovely Book Genie (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) | 70 comments Magdelanye, you just pointed out what I was thinking. They don't harvest timber for books, it's harvested for volume to produce lumber. The leftovers are then valuable for pulp. I see the trucks on the freeway all the time, hauling loads of wood chips.

It's still use of extracted resources, but I stick to real books. I don't like reading on a screen of any kind. I need turning pages and holding the tangible book as I read.

Also, the production of electronic readers is not necessarily better for the environment, is it? Think about the manufacture of all the plastic and other parts. They aren't made to have a long lifetime either, I'm sure they are built to be throwaway like so many other products anymore.

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments Melissa said>>>Also, the production of electronic readers is not necessarily better for the environment, is it? Think about the manufacture of all the plastic and other parts. They aren't made to have a long lifetime either, I'm sure they are built to be throwaway like so many other products anymore.

Our Ellie has gone through 4 already this year.
and reports concur that its a slower, less engaging read. Im wondering also about their effect on a persons eyesight, energy, and attention span....

message 13: by Melissa, Lovely Book Genie (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) | 70 comments My eyesight has already started to deteriorate regardless!

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Sep 11, 2011 11:02PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments Melissa wrote: "My eyesight has already started to deteriorate regardless!"

This method actually helps
Improve Your Eyesight: A Guide to the Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses Improve Your Eyesight  A Guide to the Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses by Jonathan BarnesJonathan Barnes

but I would hazard a guess that too much screen time is not healthy. And those who produce the products know it. Why such an assertive campaign?

message 15: by Melissa, Lovely Book Genie (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) | 70 comments Thanks for the recommendation Magdelanye. I think my eyes are suffering from normal age . . . However, my job keeps me in front of the computer screen most of the time. I take lots of breaks.

message 16: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments Thats what the bates exercises are designed for, so that you do not have to suffer from the aging process but rather optimize the things that do still work better than ever maybe.

Jim And remember, the ereaders are made from petroleum-based plastics, mined metals, and are considered hazardous waste when it's time to dispose of them. They consume electricity, which creates environmental waste, and so on and on and on...

Everything we do has an impact, so choose your poison!

message 18: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments Jim wrote: "And remember, the ereaders are made from petroleum-based plastics, mined metals, and are considered hazardous waste when it's time to dispose of them. They consume electricity, which creates envir..."

It seems we've assembled an overwhelming case against ereaders, with convenience overshadowing habit.

What is really insidious is that the marketing campaign for the reading machines involves such a wholesale and blatant attack on the bookstore. By convincing people that books are obsolete, hence bookstores redundant, we are doing away with an important social institution, along with of course the joys of browsing and complete freedom of choice.

JackieB | 14 comments A local paper asked one of our universities to work out which was better for the environment, buying paper books or using an ebook. They concluded that there wasn't an outright "winner" when you took all of the factors into account including water usage, use of rare materials (needed to make the ebooks apparently). However, borrowing paper books from libraries instead of buying your own copies won hands down, so now I try to borrow as many as possible.

message 20: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments Buying used books keep them going around as well.

IT's also nice to do bookswaps with local friends...

message 21: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 492 comments As I often buy a book and then give it to a library is that semi-environmentally friendly !

I glance at the supposed Bestseller list in the Supermarket on Saturday, but not sure how 'real' it is.

Otherwise I tend to be chart free !

message 22: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 850 comments the bestseller lists are marketing ploys
unreal

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

To Green Angel Tower (other topics)
The Way of Kings (other topics)
Improve Your Eyesight: A Guide to the Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Barnes (other topics)