Creative Reviews discussion

Looking to Review > Reviewer Open

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments I'm available to start reviewing books again, although I'm new-ish to Goodreads. I'll read most genres, although it must be fiction. I accept romance only in the context of historical fiction or underlying a larger story. Anything in science fiction/fantasy/urban fiction/steampunk/speculative fiction/mystery/suspense is always a pleasure.

I review, I don't critique. If there is something so problematic I can't read past the first 50 pages, I'll send an email and discuss it with you confidentially. My reviews are between 150-300 words and may touch on:

1. a short synapsis of the setting and main characters (without spoilers)
2. overall 'readability' relative to its target audience
3. recommendations for what reading audiences will especially enjoy the novel
4. comments on characters, development, narrative
5. author's style and skill developing the story

As I said, I don't critique. But I don't hold back either. I'm not here to slam anyone's work and will certainly include the parts (or whole) that is well done. That being said, I also don't ignore weaknesses and will, in the most fair and respectful manner possible, mention these when appropriate. Really, a review is for your potential readers and not to stroke an author's ego (though it's nice when it can do both, and many do). My reviews are unbiased and I can find something to enjoy in almost every book, however I make no apologies; I would only ever retract a factual error, not my opinion.

All reviews will be posted here to Goodreads. I will also post the same review to Amazon or any other book site I have access too, on request.

Anyone who'd like a review, please let me know.

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments if it helps, I just read The Door into Summer and posted a review, to give you an idea of my approach

David Santos (Authordas) Id like you to review my book. my amazon listing could use some reviews :( The Hopeless Christiantic

Its a romance, fiction, comedy, christian kind of deal. May not be exactly what you are looking for, but still haha

Catherine Chapman (CatherineEChapman) | 26 comments Hi Julie,

I'm currently looking for reviews for my novella, 'Elizabeth Clansham'. It's women's fiction with an element of romance but a more significant underlying story.

You can download it from Smashwords:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

for free, using the coupon code YF63F.

Best wishes,
Catherine

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments Got it! I'll start reading it shortly

Benjamin Goshko (SentientSurfer) | 7 comments If you still have room, I'd love a review of my novella, "The Book of the Nine Ides."

Here is the Amazon US link. Let me know if you're interested in reading it ;)

Book of the Nine Ides: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Nine-Ides-...

Catherine Chapman (CatherineEChapman) | 26 comments Great Julie! I hope you enjoy it and look forward to your feedback.

Catherine

Jonas Samuelle | 8 comments I'd appreciate another review of my contemporary fantasy, Ghosts of a Tired Universe.

Please let me know if you're interested in having it in your review-queue.

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments Benjamin wrote: "If you still have room, I'd love a review of my novella, "The Book of the Nine Ides."

Book of the Nine Ides: http..."

Yes, I'd love to review your novella. The blurb is wonderful!

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments Jonas wrote: "I'd appreciate another review of my contemporary fantasy, Ghosts of a Tired Universe.

Please let me know if you're interested in having it in your review-queue."

Jonas, I'll be happy to review your novel, it sounds very interesting and right up my alley.

Benjamin Goshko (SentientSurfer) | 7 comments Julie wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "If you still have room, I'd love a review of my novella, "The Book of the Nine Ides."

Book of the Ni..."

Thanks for your interest and the comment on the blurb!

If you need me to provide you with a review copy, shoot me an email at Air3343@aol.com

If not, happy reading, and I hope you enjoy my book!

S.L.J. (SammySLJ) | 25 comments Hi there. If you're not completely snowed in with requests I'd love to see what you think of my book: Blood Heavy

Thanks a bunch. :D

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments This is a great thread going on here! Great job guys!! :)

Louis Lowy (LouisKLowy) | 13 comments Hi Julie, don't know if you're at your limit yet but I'd love to have you review my novel Die Laughing, which has just been released by IFWG Publishing. Below is a blurb.

If you’re a comedian and the world’s fate is in your hands, it’s no laughing matter.

Die Laughing, a humorously dark science-fiction adventure, is set in the 1950s of flying saucers, communist paranoia, and live television.

Beamed aboard an alien spaceship, Las Vegas funny man Sam E. Lakeside is forced to participate in a plan to rob the earth of its oil.

When the shape-shifting aliens – who take on the form of Trixie Norton, Ed Sullivan and others they’ve seen on TV – and their leader, a power-hungry mobster, murder Sam’s best friend and manager, Sam vows revenge.

He recruits a blacklisted comic book writer and the mobster’s girlfriend, and drags them cross-country to thwart the aliens. Their journey takes them to New York City and the Steve Allen Show, where the key to the alien’s conquest lies.

Sam, embroiled in an escalating tangle of violence, love, and lies, is forced to choose between what he wants most in the world – to be a star – or the planet’s survival.

If you're interested I'd be happy to send you either a kindle or Nook version. Thanks! Louis

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments Sammy wrote: "Hi there. If you're not completely snowed in with requests I'd love to see what you think of my book: Blood Heavy

Thanks a bunch. :D"

Yes, I'd be happy to add your novel to the list. A very interesting premise.

Julie

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments Louis wrote: "Hi Julie, don't know if you're at your limit yet but I'd love to have you review my novel Die Laughing, which has just been released by IFWG Publishing. Below is a blurb.

If you’re a comedian and ..."

Louis,

Well, I love a well done comedy and your blurb has intrigued me. I'd love to review it (it'll be a few weeks). I'll put you on my to-read and let you know when I'm ready for a Kindle - sound good?

Julie

D. Robert Pease (DRobertPease) | 65 comments I'd also love to get in the queue. I've just published a science fiction story for kids (9-12 year-old-ish). If it's your cup of tea, I can send you an eBook copy (in your format of choice). Here's the cover copy:

Noah lives for piloting spaceships through time, dodging killer robots and saving Earth’s animals from extinction. Life couldn’t be better. However, the twelve-year-old time traveler soon learns it could be a whole lot worse. His mom is abducted and taken to thirty-first century Mars; his dad becomes stranded in the Ice Age; and Noah is attacked at every turn by a foe bent on destroying a newly habitable, post apocalyptic Earth.

Traveling through time in the family’s immense spaceship, Noah, a paraplegic from birth, must somehow care for the thousands of animals on board, while finding a way to rescue his parents. Along the way, he discovers his mother and father aren’t who he thought they were, and there is strength inside him he didn’t know he had.

Noah Zarc

message 18: by S.L.J. (last edited Aug 18, 2011 07:54PM) (new)

S.L.J. (SammySLJ) | 25 comments Julie wrote: "Sammy wrote: "Hi there. If you're not completely snowed in with requests I'd love to see what you think of my book: Blood Heavy

Thanks a bunch. :D"

Yes, I'd be happy to add your n..."

Great! Thanks. I hope you enjoy it. :D

P.S. I need your e-mail to send you a copy. :)

Catherine Chapman (CatherineEChapman) | 26 comments Julie,

Thank you so much for your very prompt and thorough review of 'Elizabeth Clansham'. It means so much to a writer to get this kind of considered feedback.

Keep up the good work (I can see I got in there just in time before your list expanded!)

Catherine

message 20: by Louis (last edited Aug 19, 2011 09:24AM) (new)

Louis Lowy (LouisKLowy) | 13 comments Don't know if you got my response from yesterday so I thought I'd send it once again: That sounds great! Die Laughing has a lot of humor in it but it's got a dark side too. When you're ready to read it email me at lklowy@gmail.com and I'll send you the Kindle file - and thanks!! Louis

message 21: by Alex (last edited Aug 20, 2011 01:34PM) (new)

Alex Rogers (AlexIRogers) | 16 comments Is this up your alley?
I'm Only Human After AllI'm Only Human After All

Back Cover description: What do you do if you find yourself suddenly, and without provocation, the target of high school aggression, relentless insults, and painful isolation? Such is the dilemma of teenager Alex Rogers, the main character in I’m Only Human After All, the thought-provoking, absorbing novel inspired by the real-life trials of the author by the same name. In this penetrating story, Rogers draws from his personal experiences to offer invaluable insight to students, teachers, and parents everywhere on today’s increasingly common, and highly damaging, instances of bullying and cyber-bullying. The novel’s poignant, reflective first-person narrative details all that bullied young adults confront, casting crucial new light on this timely topic to enable individuals to cope with this pervasive problem. I’m Only Human After All also represents the debut work of fiction in the ongoing "Empowerment" series based on the author’s life that surrounds topics relevant today.

Stephen Livingston | 26 comments Hi Julie, I'm looking for more reviews of my short story collection Kindling if you're interested in short stories.

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments Stephen wrote: "Hi Julie, I'm looking for more reviews of my short story collection Kindling if you're interested in short stories."

Stephen,

Your collection does interest me and I'd be happy to review it, but I'll be honest that with short story collections I tend to read a couple stories, move to a novel, then return to the collection. Which means it would take me longer to complete my review of your work. So I'll leave it to you to decide. Send me a dm if you still want me to review it.

Julie

David Santos (Authordas) by the way Julie, you can order my book for your computer through Goodreads Ebook...thought I'd point that out haha. Also kinda reminding you cuz you ignored my post :(

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments David wrote: "by the way Julie, you can order my book for your computer through Goodreads Ebook...thought I'd point that out haha. Also kinda reminding you cuz you ignored my post :("

David,

I didn't ignore your post, I sent you a personal email. After your reply, I thought we had resolved the question but I've sent you another email now just so we're on the same page.

David Santos (Authordas) Oh I forgot ha

The thing is I KNOW what the grammar and spelling mistakes are and I hate having to see their negative feedback based on that.

Your list 1-5 do not mention spelling or grammar and I expect that in the review. You said you do not critique, but that's exactly what you did for the blurb. All I was trying to say was that if your overall reading experience is ruined due to 4 or 5 mistakes then its best you don't read it. I don't need typos costing me. That isn't teaching me anything, I already know the mistakes. I need to take my time with editing the second book. I want to hear what people say about my writing style, plot, settings and character development. Things that can help me improve to become a better author.

The best of authors have had mistakes but they remain the best of authors because of the content of the book. People learn to ignore the spelling mistakes. If you can't get passed my first 50 pages due to spelling/grammar aside form that being very sad I could hire you to be my editor if I'm that terrible haha. All I ask is that your rating not be based on that.

I am sorry if I come across as angry or harsh, I don't mean to. I just want to clarify. I just think its lame to give a bad review based on something so little and unimportant..not saying you would do that. Speaking in general.

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments I think it is important to remember that reviewers are not always going to want to review a certain book and sometimes they make that decision based on the back blurb.
And grammar and spelling mistakes do sometimes effect the enjoyment of a story. Sometimes they catch people up and interrupt the flow.
You cannot ask a reviewer not to base a review on a certain thing, when you put your book out there anything is material for a review. Sometimes that stinks but its the reality of it. At least Julie had the politeness to message you privately and with respect.

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments Thank you for your thoughtful response. I do understand your position and I appreciate that you can understand mine. "development, narrative, story" and "style and skill" do include vocabulary and grammar - they are the tools an author uses.

However, I absolutely understand your desire for feedback on your character development, plot line, etc and I think you've made a good point. Rather than a review, I believe you would do well to work with an editor who can provide you with exactly the kind of guidance you're seeking. I don't provide that service (I don't have the time to do justice to that kind of commitment) but it may be an excellent idea for you to seek out an editor that you work well with - that may be the most beneficial for your growth as an author.

Again, I wish you the best in your future endeavors,

Julie

Amy (Dranea) | 1841 comments Mod
David, learning about the grammar and punctuation errors is a way to help make you a better author. If you are aware of the errors, it would be prudent to correct them prior to giving the book out for review. There are some errors that do get overlooked, and that can be a pain, but it you know they are there, it may be better to correct them first.

Also, if she did have the politeness to talk to you in regards to this privately, maybe this should have stayed a private matter.

Many reviews do have mentions of errors in the reviews, like Cambria mentioned, and I have many times, that the best way to be thrown back into reality from a book is to run into errors in the writing.

Julian White | 27 comments Hi Julie, I'd love a review of my horror novel The Diviners, on Kindle eBook. It's pretty bloodthirsty but I hope it has virtues which will pull in all kinds of readers. Anyway, I'd be enormously grateful if you could take a look. My email is groaningshelves@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks for reading!

Julian

Curtis Hox (curtishox) | 13 comments Julie

Just soft launched my literary science fantasy novel, Bleedover. I'm looking for reviews. Head over to Smashwords for a free copy: RM76S.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

I can also send you a free .mobi if you'd like.

Bleedover
Bleedover

Media has changed forever. Books, TV, film, advertising. It’s all being mysteriously altered, and no one knows why.

Dr. Harriet Sterling claims she understands, even if no one believes her. She calls it the New Phenomenon of Bleedover. She is alone, though, because the science establishment stands in her way. When a new graduate candidate, Towns Packer, succeeds in a controversial Bleedover project, producing an apple out of thin air, the world takes notice.

With the help of two other graduate students, Alice and Masumi, Dr. Sterling prepares a demonstration to shock the world. But her enemies pounce to stop her. She faces them at a symposium where Bleedover manifests itself with deadly consequences.

Holly (HollyBourque) | 2 comments Hi Julie,

If you're still open for reviews, you might be interested in My Name Is Joe My Name Is Joe by my husband Stefan Bourque.

If interested, please email me at writerswife@stefanbourque.com and I will send you a Smashwords coupon for a free download.

Thanks!
Holly

Josh Karaczewski (joshkaraczewski) | 11 comments Hello Julie. I'm looking for reviews of my novel "Alexander Murphy's Home for Wayward Celebrities" (http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...). Check it out and contact me if you are interested, and I'll get you a coupon code for a free download.
Regards,
Josh

Marilyn Holdsworth (marilynholdsworth) | 11 comments Hi Julie. I'd love you to review Pegasus.
I have written a book for horse lovers, who also like adventure and romance. My novel Pegasus  is a fast read of 188 pages. If you would like to review my book, I will be glad to send you a Kindle edition. The Amazon link in the USA is...http://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-ebook/d...

Desiree Finkbeiner | 5 comments I’m the author of the Ethos series. Morning Star (book 1), was released March 28th 2012.

Looking for reviews to be posted to Amazon, Goodreads and other book sites (if you have accounts like: Shelfari, Library Thing etc)

I'm particularly interested in readers with book review blogs (but not required.) I'm open to author interview, character interview, book review, guest blog, etc

I always back-link to any blog features on my website, and blast the feature to my 12,000+ social network followers.

My book is a cross-over genre (both for YA and adult) urban fantasy/paranormal romance/action/adventure

Of course, if you are open to a book review, I will provide you with a free reviewer copy in mobi format. I may be able to get a PDF version put together too but my publisher hasn't sent me an epub yet :/

If you do have an Amazon.com account that you are willing to post from, if you prefer to leave "verified" reviews, I am happy to provide a gift code for download. And of course I always appreciate "likes" on the Amazon page and Facebook =)

Just over the past 48 hours (during a Kindle promo) Ethos had 20,080 copies downloaded from Amazon.com, which earned it the #4 in position in Romance and #6 in the top 100 during the Kindle free promo!! And it was #30 top 100 in UK. 1117 uk downloads, 55 Denmark downloads, 2 in France and 2 in Spain and 1 in Italy.

But I have a feeling that not many of those readers will come back to leave reviews. Hence why I am here :) I'm trying to reach 100 reviews on Amazon and at least 50 here on Goodreads by the end of the month. So just let me know if you're interested :)

Please try to post review within 4 weeks.
Helpful links for social networking etc Feel free to add/like and I will like pages back if you ask :)

Amazon purchase link: http://www.amazon.com/Morning-Star-Et...

Amazon Author page: http://www.amazon.com/Desiree-Finkbei...

ASIN # B007PSUV2W

Publisher: Hydra Publications (March 28, 2012) www.hydrapublications.com

Author website: www.finkartstudio.com

Author facebook fanpage: www.facebook.com/finkartstudio

Author G+: https://plus.google.com/1163891902740...

Author twitter: https://twitter.com/finkart

Action Adventure Fantasy Book Trailer #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlrpPa...

Paranormal Romance Fantasy Book Trailer #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRBiw...

Ethos on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

Ethos on Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/books/2817303...
Ethos on Library Thing: http://www.librarything.com/work/1253...

email is: desiree at carbonstar dot net

message 36: by Benjamin (last edited May 09, 2012 08:41AM) (new)

Benjamin Burrell (BenjaminDavidBurrell) | 6 comments Hi Julie,

Looks like you've got quite a list growing here. When you catch up, I'd love to have you read my new novel, "Red Leaves and the Living Token."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007...

Red Leaves and the Living Token

Doctors tell Raj that his son Emret won't survive his illness. As Raj struggles to prepare himself and Emret for the inevitable, he's confronted by Moslin, his son's nurse, who’s been filling Emret’s head with fairytales about heroic quests and powerful disease curing miracles. Emret now thinks that all he has to do is find the mythical Red Tree from the nurse's stories, and he'll live.

In an attempt to protect his son from further emotional damage, Raj asks Moslin to stay away from Emret. He returns hours later to find them both missing.

Now, he has to dig into the loathed fairytales to figure out where they may have gone. He’d also like to know why he keeps blacking out and having visions of a temple on a mountain with a vat of glowing weapons, a vaporous black creature emerging from a lightning storm, himself in glowing armor leading an army, and the same mythical Red Tree hidden in a dense forest.

Tricia | 6 comments Hi Julie, you definitely seem to have your hands full with books to review, but if you feel up for reading a vampire romance/ adventure book, my new book Amaranthine Amaranthine is badly in need of reviews, both here and on Amazon. Thanks!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Julie,
I would love for you to review my work, both here and on Amazon. I understand you must be very busy, though.
I have 3; On the Matter of the Red Hand, the Herald of Autumn, and Slave of the Sky Captain. I'll provide the Amazon links here and if you'd like to review any of them, just hit me up for a copy! Thanks so much!

http://tinyurl.com/d6oyb4z

http://tinyurl.com/bpvmrk5

http://tinyurl.com/c4uufrn