Stephen King Fans discussion

Cujo
This topic is about Cujo

Comments (showing 51-97 of 97) (97 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rachel | 699 comments Ok maybe I was mistaken about the weapon but it looks like he's dead outside. And she hits the Pinto window with the butt of a gun.

Erica (BookPsycho) | 109 comments Rachel wrote: "Ok maybe I was mistaken about the weapon but it looks like he's dead outside. And she hits the Pinto window with the butt of a gun."

Hope I didn't come off as rude. She should have shot him outside. That is one thing that pisses me off about some movies. They think the bad person/thing/animal is dead without checking or anything.

Rachel | 699 comments Nah, I could be wrong...I just think it's a much rougher end for Cujo in the movie than in the book.

Jc11king | 102 comments Gatorman wrote: "Jc11king wrote: "SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

Hmmm...if I remember correctly, Cujo dies because Donna stabs him in the eye/brain with the (sharp) remaining part of Brett's baseball bat.

SP..."

I'm talking about the book

Erica (BookPsycho) | 109 comments Rachel wrote: "Nah, I could be wrong...I just think it's a much rougher end for Cujo in the movie than in the book."

I think the movie ending is way more dramatic than the book, though the book ending is sadder.

Jc11king | 102 comments Erica wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Nah, I could be wrong...I just think it's a much rougher end for Cujo in the movie than in the book."

I think the movie ending is way more dramatic than the book, though the book en..."

The ending of the movie is a Hollywood Ending

Erica (BookPsycho) | 109 comments Jc11king wrote: "Erica wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Nah, I could be wrong...I just think it's a much rougher end for Cujo in the movie than in the book."

I think the movie ending is way more dramatic than the book, thou..."

True

message 58: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2120 comments Now that I am re-reading this thread... I realized that I never watched the movie!!! Not sure why... but I just requested it from the library again.

Rachel | 699 comments The movie's pretty good Angie.

Jc11king | 102 comments Kandice wrote: "Steve Kemp is a butt-hole of the first degree.
Vic is the best. I pity him the entire book."

Angie wrote: "Hummm my most favorite is Vic I think he is a normal guy just trying his hardest in life and I like that.

I don't like Steve Kemp, the man is very disturbed about sexual relationships. "

Murphy's Law totally applies to the novel Cujo

Zachariah (labelsr4clothes) | 5 comments Cujo was a very frightening book. It is not like King's other books that are based solely on supernatural factors, it could happen. I think that is what adds to the first. However, I may be reading too much into the book, which is very easy to do with King's work, I think there was a supernatural element. I mean, Tad's closet for Pete's sake!
I felt that maybe it was touching on a connection between Frank Dodd, from The Dead Zone who was alluded to being the spirit in Tad's closet, and Cujo's brains / thoughts being driven by a primitive evil prescence that resides in Castle Rock (The town has QUITE the history if you're an avid reader of his) that takes over through mental weakness and is unstoppable. Dodd's manifested in his deprived sexual urges and cujo's through a weakness created by the rabbies virus. A sort of 'all evils serve the same master'.
Or was the closet/Frank Dodd bit just to give Tad a taste of what a real live monster was, not the ones in the movies, before he met one face-to-face, Cujo?
Again, I may be reading WAY too deep in but that is what I enjoy about King's work, it is moderately open-ended and makes you have to think on your toes a little.

message 62: by Tony (last edited May 08, 2012 02:31AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tony Talbot | 133 comments Nope. Nothing wrong here.

Does anyone know how he came up with the name of Cujo?

What startles me about this book is SK says he has no memory of writing it all. He was out of his mind on drugs and booze. Yet the setup and execution are brilliant.

Zachariah (labelsr4clothes) | 5 comments Tony wrote: "Nope. Nothing wrong here.

What startles me about this book is SK says he has no memory of writing it all. He was out of his mind on drugs an..."

Cujo's name was based on the nom de guerre of Willie Wolfe, one of the men responsible for orchestrating Patty Hearst's kidnapping and indoctrination into the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Tony Talbot | 133 comments Zachariah wrote: "Tony wrote: "Nope. Nothing wrong here.

"

Cool! Thanks for that!

Billie | 4 comments A Dog by any other name would be a cat

David jones | 165 comments Alright. I am reading this book and I am around page 80. I love the fact that the book doesn't solely talk about Cujo because the characters are so great. I like how Stephen King creates characters that are so life like, you begin to care about their problems even if they are no use to the story whatsoever.

Michael Auger (iburiedpaul90) | 7 comments Of the 13 SK books I've read, this is probably my least favorite so far. It's fairly brief, so the character development suffers. I do love the poetic justice at the end though, as cruel as it is.

Victor | 140 comments This was my first Stephen King book and I read it when I was eleven and I didn't think it was anything amazing, but it was a really good book.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments I just found out the 30th Anniversary Edition of Cujo will be released on Tuesday, January 22nd.

Dustin Kathryn wrote: "I just found out the 30th Anniversary Edition of Cujo will be released on Tuesday, January 22nd."

Aw, SWEET!:) Thank you for sharing!

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 586 comments Is it going to be special/fancy like the anniversary edition It?

message 72: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2120 comments I think that Kathryn may be talking about the movie not the book.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Sorry, I should have been more clear. It is the movie which is going to be re-released as a 30th anniversary edition.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 586 comments Oh! Lol, I got excited for a minute :)

Dustin Kathryn wrote: "Sorry, I should have been more clear. It is the movie which is going to be re-released as a 30th anniversary edition."

Oh, all right. That's still pretty cool news, though. Thank you, again!

Tash Dahling (MissTash) | 79 comments I know Cujo is the monster etc, but the real horror for me was the suffering of the mum and little Tad. The ending (the book ending, not the film) is the one reason I can't/won't ever read this book again. I was heartbroken.

message 77: by Squire (last edited Mar 27, 2013 03:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Squire (srboone) | 545 comments Cujo is my 3rd favorite King book. Bare bones, full-blooded horror. I wasn't bothered by the ending; I remember thinking King was awfully brave to end it that way. Added to the horror.

Tash Dahling (MissTash) | 79 comments Squire wrote: "Cujo is my 3rd favorite King book. Bare bones, full-blooded horror. I wasn't bothered by the ending; I rememberthinking King was awfully brave to end it that way. Added tothe horror."

I agree. It was not a fairy tale ending. And perhaps given that I had only seen the film as a child, and then read the book much much later, it's no surprise that the ending affected me like it did. I was totally not expecting it!

message 79: by Squire (last edited Mar 27, 2013 03:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Squire (srboone) | 545 comments I wasn't expecting the ending of the movie for the same reason! But looking back, it was the only move that could have been made for an 80s flick.

Rhian | 161 comments i can't believe i didn't read cujo until a couple of months ago its such a good story i really got to get hold of the film now

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 212 comments I cried when Tad died in the book.

Squire (srboone) | 545 comments I just hope never gets around to rewriting the ending.

message 83: by Squire (last edited Mar 28, 2013 05:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Squire (srboone) | 545 comments Well, he #@%$!& with and up The Stand 20 years ago...

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 212 comments Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "I'm glad Tad lived in the film. After all he went through in that car with his mother, it would have been too much if he had died.

Even King admitted that was a big mistake on his part."

I was glad he lived too. It was one ôf those cases where I saw the movie first then read the book, so I felt really let down when Tad died.

Rhian | 161 comments no point watching film now that i know tad lives!

Novia (novroz) | 75 comments Cujo isn't one of my favorite. Good story but not memorable

Rhian | 161 comments i think its a goid thing that tad died in the book theres no need for happy ever after with me

Bondama (Kerensa) | 866 comments "Cujo" is the ONE SK book I have never been able to bring myself to re-read. --

If King had not put in the oh-so-humanizing line about Cujo -- I cared less for the kid than the dog, truth to tell. But when he remembers, in the dim, un-sick part of his poor doggie brain, he remembers being called "Good Dog!" - Buckets of tears.....

Aliya | 3 comments What I especially enjoyed about Cujo was the sense of evil that was present from the very beginning even before Cujo was bitten by the bat. The whole side story of Frank Dodd was sort of like Stephen King's stamp of evil. Although Cujo's story was completely unrelated to Frank Dodd's I had a feeling that bad thing might always happen in that town no matter what, and evil things don't only happen to just people, they can happen to little children too, even dogs.

Aditya | 295 comments I read Cujo just a month ago & was completely shocked by the ending but it was brave decision by King & a very good one though i admit i like realistic endings rather than happy ones.

My only mild botheration about the book was the concept itself that a dog (yeah even a mangy one) can trap two people in that manner for such a long time. King's writing is so lucid & engrossing that he can sell the wildest horror concepts(Salem's Lot,Pet Sematary) but this one was a bit of a drag for him too.A good book but not the greatest of King.

Bondama (Kerensa) | 866 comments Aditya, "Cujo" is the only book of King's that I've never re-read. Not because of the "evil, horror, etc. But because of one sentence from the end of the book.

(paraphrased) "Cujo remembered, from a while ago, he was a GOOD DOG, and he played and loved. He had no idea why he was acting this way."

Buckets and buckets of tears on this one!

Aditya | 295 comments Bondama wrote: "Aditya, "Cujo" is the only book of King's that I've never re-read. Not because of the "evil, horror, etc. But because of one sentence from the end of the book.

(paraphrased) "Cujo remembered, f..."

You must have had a pet at some point of time.
I just started reading King last year & I am up to Cycle Of The Werewolf so I don't really have much of an idea how well all my favorite King books are going to hold up on a re-read but if I have to guess I will say King is one of those writers you can easily come back to after some time.

Bondama (Kerensa) | 866 comments Aditya -- there are times when I have to FORCE myself not to re-read a favorite King book - He's like that, you know - and his semi-conversational writing, coupled with a breathtaking management of style makes a King book fresh all over again -- I almost envy you - so many books to read for the first time!!

Aditya | 295 comments Bondama wrote: "Aditya -- there are times when I have to FORCE myself not to re-read a favorite King book - He's like that, you know - and his semi-conversational writing, coupled with a breathtaking management of..."

I agree it has been quite an experience for me since I started reading King though most King fans have told me that there is a sharp decline in the quality of his books in the middle period & it once again picks up in the recent years,I have specially heard a lot of good things about 11/22/63 though it will be a long time before I reach that one.

Bondama (Kerensa) | 866 comments I can't wait until you get to "Lisey's Story" and "Duma Key." Those are two of his best novels, and they're both written after his accident.

message 96: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2120 comments Bondama wrote: "I can't wait until you get to "Lisey's Story" and "Duma Key." Those are two of his best novels, and they're both written after his accident."

Oh man... those two novels are my least favorite of Kings. Funny that you love them and I can't stand them!

Tyler | 5 comments Reading Cujo right now. Certainly one of the darker horror novels he's written.

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cujo (other topics)