Debates of all sorts discussion

Religion > Prayer in schools

Comments (showing 1-50 of 240) (240 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (Rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
Should school sanctioned prayer be allowed?

message 2: by Brie (: (new)

Brie (: (briebrie5) | 81 comments I think they should allow kids in public schools to be able to pray at a certain time of the day. But only if they want to, since we have freedom of religion.

message 3: by Cody, Ninja (new)

There should not ever be school sanctioned prayer time. It is a complete waste of school hours and since schools are part of the government they are effectively breaking the first amendment. Even if they allow any religion to pray they are still going against us atheists. The time could be much better spent in real class. If kids want to pray whatever I don't care, they can pray during lunch or whatever but if the school actually sets aside time for prayer, well I take problem with that.

message 4: by Brie (: (new)

Brie (: (briebrie5) | 81 comments You have a problem with one minute set aside? Even a moment of silence?

message 5: by Cody, Ninja (new)

1 minute for 180 days a year is 3 hours, for 12 years 36 hours. That is quite a lot of time that could be much better used learning over talking to yourself. Regardless it would always be more then one minute, this moment of silence would be a complete waste of time and would get quote irksome especially for us non believers. If there is a death in the school or some other tragedy I can see an exception, but don't call it prayer, call for a moment of silence.

message 6: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
People practice different religions and believe different things. I do not believe that schools should have an minute of silence. To me, the minute of silence is awkward, because I don't have anything to relfect upon right away. And even so, reflecting can be done at home. You're most likely attending a public school, not at home or at a religious building. When I mediate, I like to do it for an hour. So even if you are the type to do any reflecting (like me, even though it isn't religious) then one minute is not reasonable. And I agree with the whole tragedy thing: one staff member at my high school passed away so we had a moment of silence.

I don't mind if schools allow you to bring your religious texts and whatnot with you to breaks or study halls. One of my buddies actually practices with her tarot cards during study hall.

message 7: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Yep I agree completely Tenebris... Tarot is so interesting... I got a reading at the beginning of summer and it was surprisingly very accurate.

Celine -Are You My Mummy? Doctor Who Fan- (ZeeLazyBum) | 131 comments I hate silence. And funerals. They are very akward, especially because I usually don't know the person and I'm trying not to smile. It very hard to be serious. And silence is only nice when I'm trying to read. Any other time if there are people around I feel like I can't move.

message 9: by Brie (: (new)

Brie (: (briebrie5) | 81 comments Hmm I sorta agree with you guys,. I do not know how the moment of silence feels since I go to a Christian school, but I think maybe the moment of silence should be decided on a school's schoolboard. If most kids at a certain school are christian, then maybe they could have it and it won't be as awkward. But if it's the other way around, tgen, as tenebris said, kids could reflect at home.

message 10: by Brie (: (new)

Brie (: (briebrie5) | 81 comments *then not tgen. Sorry

message 11: by Cody, Ninja (new)

My school is mostly Christian pretty much every school in America is. If someone dies a moment is silence is fine, but every day even once a week is unnecessary. The closest thing to prating I do is basically clearing my mind (meditating) I can't do that in a classroom especially not in one minute, it's a waste of time and quite irksome.

unknown "Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church"

message 12: by Brie (: (new)

Brie (: (briebrie5) | 81 comments That makes since i guess. I still don't think it is unnecessary but it does take up a lot of time over the years. They should at least have a moment of silence on special occasions then.

message 13: by Cody, Ninja (new)

How is it not unnecessary? Your taking time out of the school day to talk to yourself, it's completely unnecessary.

message 14: by Brie (: (new)

Brie (: (briebrie5) | 81 comments Well not everyone believes its talking to yourself. Some people find prayer very beneficial. But it's different for you since you're an atheist, so I'm not gonna argue with you on that.

message 15: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Well you can believe what you want but that's all it is.

Celine -Are You My Mummy? Doctor Who Fan- (ZeeLazyBum) | 131 comments An D what's wrong with talking to yourself? I have had whole conversations with myself. And also made myself laugh. I talk to myself all the time.And its always aloud too so Ill be walking somewhere a d say stuff to myself.

message 17: by Cody, Ninja (new)

There's nothing wrong with it but why should we waste school time with it, it's pointless.

message 18: by Brie (: (new)

Brie (: (briebrie5) | 81 comments You can say that, but to me it's not pointless. And as Celine said, there is nothing wrong with talking to yourself,even though prayer isn't. Lol

message 19: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Keep telling yourself that... Though all evidence points towards the contrary. Just don't take time out of my school day talk to yourself at home.

message 20: by Brie (: (new)

Brie (: (briebrie5) | 81 comments I will then! Keep praying that is. I'm just gonna drop out of this debate now, since it really doesn't effect me since i goto a private school. Plus no matter what i say, You'll still think prayer is " a waste of time." Goodbye now!

message 21: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Do you want to know why you won't convince me their is a magic man in the sky who listens to you, there isn't an ounce of evidence to say their is.

Celine -Are You My Mummy? Doctor Who Fan- (ZeeLazyBum) | 131 comments Ya know some people can believe without evidence.

message 23: by Cody, Ninja (new)

That's called blind faith and is really quite stupid, why would you believe in something that you can't be shown, that there is no proof for, that it's nothing, it's ridiculous.

message 24: by Aleph (last edited Aug 29, 2011 12:21PM) (new)

Aleph (Aleph123) | 745 comments Mod
i agree in saying that it's not logical to believe in god's- but it's not wrong. don't accuse it of being ridiculous because it's not. children should be allowed to pray during school hours if it's important to them, education isn't the most important thing in the whole world.

message 25: by Cody, Ninja (new)

They can pray during school whatever. But the school staff may not lead prayer. That is direct violation of the 1st amendment. If a student wants to pray during free time they have in class whatever but the teacher may not lead a prayer for the whole class. And it really is ridiculous, blind faith is ridiculous.

message 26: by Aleph (new)

Brie wrote: "I think they should allow kids in public schools to be able to pray at a certain time of the day. But only if they want to, since we have freedom of religion."
i totally agree brie. x

message 27: by Aleph (new)

i would like you to acknowledge that you're more than likely to offend people if you share every opinion you have. brie's already left the discussion because you've upset her and you really don't have to be so strong with you're opinions. of think don't think a muslim who goes to an overall catholic school should be made to pray catholic prayers- but if the catholic children want a h of silence to pray- and so do the other children (except for their religion) that should be allowed. there's not a problem with a minute a day off school.

message 28: by Anony-miss (new)

"Education isn't the most important thing in the world."

Education is VERY important, no matter what your beliefs are ..

message 29: by Cody, Ninja (new)

I don't care is someone is insulted by my blunt statements. And like I said already a minute of talking to yourself adds up, after 12 years of schooling with an average of 180 days a school year it equals 36 hours. That is a ton of time spent talking to yourself. Besides it would be a clear blue law, it clearly has religious origins it should never be allowed.

message 30: by Anony-miss (new)

And also: what about the people who don't follow a religion?

message 31: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Yeah, what am I supposed to do those 36 hours of education wasted? 1 minute isn't enough time to go into a meditative state (heck a half hour sometimes isn't enough) and I'm not going to waste my time even closing my eyes or anything, I'm going to sit there sigh and probably tap my foot while I wait.

message 32: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥ sHE beLIEveD (I_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Aleph wrote: "education isn't the most important thing in the whole world."

Pardon, do you know what the word 'school' means?

message 33: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (last edited Aug 29, 2011 07:48PM) (new)

Aleph wrote: "a muslim who goes to an overall catholic school should be made to pray catholic prayers- but if the catholic children want a h of silence to pray- and so do the other children (except for their religion) that should be allowed."

If it's a private Catholic school, sure. I went to a Christian camp several times over my childhood and I loved it, but before meals we had to say prayers. I didn't have a problem with that because I made the choice to go to a religious place. However, if it were a government-owned camp (do they have those in America???) I'd have a definite problem with that, because that would be going against the separation of church and state.

message 35: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

?

Celine -Are You My Mummy? Doctor Who Fan- (ZeeLazyBum) | 131 comments Government owned camp.

message 37: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Oh...like boot camp? True that ^-^

message 38: by Aleph (new)

♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "Aleph wrote: "a muslim who goes to an overall catholic school should be made to pray catholic prayers- but if the catholic children want a h of silence to pray- and so do the other children (except..."
yes- i agree. what i'm saying is, if a child requests to 'say grace' (i think that's what you call it- sorry, i'm jewish) then they should be allowed too. or a child requests to pray in whatever their religion may be- they should be allowed to go off for a moment and pray. hat's fair. i went to a private school that wasn't actually catholic but we had to pray and that was really awkward because i did't really want too. i'm not religious at all- even to my own religion- but i don't really feel comfortable with saying prayers i don't understand or believe in. my teacher said i didn't have to pray- which made it ok. i've left that school now anyway- but what i'm saying is, if some children feel like thy want to pray, they should have the freedom to do so.

message 39: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Students can pray as much as they want. As long as it's not a teacher leading it and it's not taking time from class.

message 40: by Aleph (new)

well they should be able to leave class for a short period of time if it's wanted.

message 41: by Cody, Ninja (new)

No they shouldn't, that is taking time out of class. If they want to pray during study hall or home room they can, but they may not leave a class for this.

message 42: by Aleph (new)

i would disagree

message 43: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

They should not be allowed to, no. However, if they really want to they can just say they need to go to the bathroom...just saying :P

message 44: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Aleph wrote: "i would disagree"

This country is secular. You can't just walk out of class to pray, that's stupid. People would take such advantage of that anyways.

message 45: by Aleph (new)

yeah i guess that's true- maybe you're right.

message 46: by The Random Hedgehog (last edited Sep 04, 2011 06:45AM) (new)

The Random Hedgehog (Booookworm3) | 256 comments I think that a moment of silence when someone has died is ok, but taking time out of class, well, people would take advantage of that, that's how humans are. I think that praying at break or lunch is perfectly fine, I see know problem with that, obviously, so why not do your prating at that time instead of in class? If its a catholic school there is nothing wrong with teachers leading the prayers but maybe just in assembly.

message 47: by Anony-miss (new)

I know that some students want the teacher to think that she/he didn't go over something that we did yesterday just to have "more time" .. when in reality, it works against you. Hopefully this makes sense? Heh .. gotta love psychology ^^

message 48: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Bookworm: Yeah, praying on your own time is fine for sure, we aren't trying to suppress religion ^-^

Tenebris: Not really...the teacher will often give extra time, and having review before a test will serve as a warmup :P

message 49: by Cody, Ninja (new)

"I need time to pray" *goes pray* *Doesn't finish work* "I need more time for my work, you didn't give us enough time" *face palm*

Celine -Are You My Mummy? Doctor Who Fan- (ZeeLazyBum) | 131 comments What I hate is when my school books want me toemeorize a scripture passage and I'm like hell no! Im not going to do that. And I cant read what you are saying through all eth's! They use king James which is just about impossible to read.

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Why Evolution Is True (other topics)