City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) City of Lost Souls discussion

*Spoiler* Dirty. Sexy. Club. Scene. Between Clary & Jace. - What do you think?

Comments (showing 51-100 of 107) (107 new)    post a comment »

Areeba intense love much

message 53: by Thalia (last edited May 20, 2012 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thalia Having now read the book, I have to say, I didn't like the club scene.

I love Jace and Clary. But I love that they've always been emotional, and relied on their emotional feelings for each other. They don't need the physical in order to prove to each other that they love each other.

And Clare also made a promise, for us "clean readers" (like myself), that her characters wouldn't have sex in her books. But she seems very determined to get as CLOSE as she can without crossing the line (which she did with Maia and Jordan). And I don't appreciate that as someone who thought they had a promise it wouldn't get too graphic in that manner.

So. Unpopular opinion, but it also needed to be said.

message 54: by Virginia (last edited May 20, 2012 08:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginia Thalia wrote: "Having now read the book, I have to say, I didn't like the club scene.

I love Jace and Clary. But I love that they've always been emotional, and relied on their emotional feelings for each other. ..."

"Clean reader"??? seriously? Wanting the characters we know and love to be together does not make you dirty reader, sex is not a horrible dirty thing, besides, THIS IS FICTION!
When did Cassandra made this promise? I have never heard anything about that and find it very difficult to believe that she would give such a spoiler about the story and outright veto the possibility of Clary and Jace or any of her characters having sex in the books.

message 55: by Thalia (last edited May 20, 2012 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thalia Uhm, actually, reading sex scenes isn't considered "clean". Not in the slightest. I felt uncomfortable reading make out scenes, with Jace pulling up Clary's dress and them basically ripping each other's clothes off.

I read that somewhere on her blog, once. Several other people I know IRL remember reading the same thing from her.

I mean, when you're like me and you believe sex outside of marriage is immoral, it makes you uncomfortable to read something like that happening between characters in fiction. If I promote it in fiction and not in my own life, I feel like that makes me a hypocrite. I want them to be together; not "physically" and intimately, not when I believe something like that is reserved for marriage.

I don't see why you find that so ridiculous, and I feel a little insulted at your reaction to my wishing the books to remain clean and not graphic. I can deal with Jordan and Maia, which was skimmed and in no detail (though I still wish it hadn't happened); but I don't want to read some graphic sex scene.

I love Jace and Clary as much as the next fan. My love for them and their relationship is in no way diminished by the fact that I'm not like, 'Okay, when are they gonna have sex?!', like THAT has to be the next step in their relationship.

Thalia Also, the scene is referred to as the "DIRTY SEXY CLUB SCENE". The word dirty is actually in the title.

Hannah Virginia wrote: "Thalia wrote: "Having now read the book, I have to say, I didn't like the club scene.

I love Jace and Clary. But I love that they've always been emotional, and relied on their emotional feelings f..."

I particularly don't think there was anything wrong with the scene, if anything I thought it wasn't enough, I was left with well what did they actually do...and I'm someone who likes reading stuff like that such as the fifty shades of grey series but I respect other peoples decisions and if someone finds it unnecessary I don't think they need to be put down for that!

message 58: by Virginia (last edited May 20, 2012 08:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginia I remember reading Cassandra's blog after CoG and there were some people complaining that Jace and Clary never had sex, I remember Cassandra saying that sex was not important to the plot at that moment or to the character's arc and that's why it was not include but she never made a promise that her character's would never have sex. btw, I agree with Cassandra Clare on that.
You have a right to believe whatever you want about sex and I completely respect that,as should you be respectful of other people's opinions.
I never said that I wanted books to be more graphic or that I expect a detail description of what Clary and Jace do if they have sex, I simply that there is nothing wrong with wanting them to be together, so I don't get why you say: " I feel a little insulted at your reaction to my wishing the books to remain clean and not graphic " Frankly, I feel a little insulted when you call yourself a "Clean reader" making everyone else who dares to have a different opinion on the subject a "dirty reader".
I don't want to fight about this anymore because I truly respect your opinion, so I'll just say this: Every one has a right to have an opinion, just don´t insult anyone because they have different believes than yours.

message 59: by Thalia (last edited May 20, 2012 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thalia Thanks, Hannah.

I wouldn't mind if it faded out on it (like she did with Jordan and Maia), but with the way Clare is going, describing every detail in every makeout scene, I just...I don't want to have to skip scenes in my favorite series, you know?

Plus, the topic was asking for opinions on the scene, and I think it's unfair to be insulted because I'm the only one who didn't agree that it was totally fabulous. ^^;

Lucy Herondale This is freaking hot and totally kills me!! Jace knows how to do it xD
Though, it breaks my heart because this Jace is not really Jace :'(

Hannah Thalia wrote: "Thanks, Hannah.

I wouldn't mind if it faded out on it (like she did with Jordan and Maia), but with the way Clare is going, describing every detail in every makeout scene, I just...I don't want to..."

Completely agree

message 62: by Virginia (last edited May 20, 2012 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginia Hannah wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Thalia wrote: "Having now read the book, I have to say, I didn't like the club scene.

I love Jace and Clary. But I love that they've always been emotional, and relied on their emo..."

Hannah I loved this scene, and I was not trying to put anyone down for having a different opinion, if anything I felt like I and everyone who liked the scene was being put down because of it. I don't consider myself or anyone else who liked the scene "a dirty reader" and I don't think it's Ok for anyone to implied such a thing. So, I'll say it again:
Everyone has a right to have an opinion, just don't insult anyone because they have different believes than yours

Hannah Virginia wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Thalia wrote: "Having now read the book, I have to say, I didn't like the club scene.

I love Jace and Clary. But I love that they've always been emotional, and reli..."

I agree with this too, I see both sides

I just can't wait for the next book :)

message 64: by Virginia (last edited May 20, 2012 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Virginia Hannah wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Thalia wrote: "Having now read the book, I have to say, I didn't like the club scene.

I love Jace and Clary. But I love that they've always been em..."

It's terrible! We'll have to wait almost 2 years for CoHF!!!! :(

message 65: by Thalia (last edited May 20, 2012 09:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thalia Virginia, I wasn't trying to imply you were a dirty reader. People who think like I do call ourselves "clean" readers, and ask if books are "clean" before reading them. Clean is just the term we use; it's not meant to imply everyone who reads anything else is dirty. I mean, there are books I've read that I would in no way classify as clean that I've enjoyed (for instance, City of Lost Souls), and I don't feel like that makes me a dirty reader.

In fact, "dirty reader" is never a term I've ever used referring to anybody before, and nothing I ever considered as the exact opposite of calling myself a clean reader.

Also, I didn't see your post right after Hannah's and before my "thanks" to her until just this moment. I think both interpretations, yours and mine, were just misunderstandings and nothing more. (:

Virginia Thalia wrote: "Virginia, I wasn't trying to imply you were a dirty reader. People who think like I do call ourselves "clean" readers, and ask if books are "clean" before reading them. Clean is just the term we us..."

I think you're absolutely right, this was a miss understanding. I guess we both misinterpreted each other and you didn't really meant to insult anyone. Sorry!

I'm glad we sorted this out cause I hate fighting and specially with someone who loves this books too, since this is my favorite YA series ;)

Thalia Seriously! Let's all just be fans, adorers, and lovers of Mortal Instruments.

I mean...it's freaking amazing, and there are too many haters of it in the world for the fans to be arguing, hahah. (:

Virginia Thalia wrote: "Seriously! Let's all just be fans, adorers, and lovers of Mortal Instruments.

I mean...it's freaking amazing, and there are too many haters of it in the world for the fans to be arguing, hahah. (:"

I second that! ;)

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ Virginia wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Thalia wrote: "Having now read the book, I have to say, I didn't like the club scene.

That's exactly the same, isnt it?

I love Jace and Clary. But I love that they've..."

i thought i only had to wait until November :(

Hannah Alexia wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Virginia wrote: "Thalia wrote: "Having now read the book, I have to say, I didn't like the club scene.

That's exactly the same, isnt..."

Noooo cp2 comes out next year and the final MI book come out 2014

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ WHAAAAAAAT!!!! Awwww, that's not FAIR!!!!! :(

-Thank you for letting me know.

Virginia Alexia wrote: "WHAAAAAAAT!!!! Awwww, that's not FAIR!!!!! :(

-Thank you for letting me know."

CP2: March 2013
CoHF: March 2014
! I'm sure both books will be worth the wait, I'm still sad about the long, long wait though.

Grace Evelyn wrote: "Why does the the book have to be G, its in the young adult section, Im pretty sure no one under the age of 14 reads these, even so I'm pretty sure they could handle whats going on the story. So com..."

Well, actaly, some non-teens read these books. But I think that it would be completely fine of she would just put this into the book. It is a waste to write it, and then discard it so easily.

Thalia It is in the book.

As for Evelyn's comment, "I'm pretty sure they could handle whats going on in the story", that really has nothing to do with it. I'm seventeen and perfectly mature and I just prefer not to read scenes like that.

My apologies; it's just one of my pet peeves when people say things like, "They're mature enough to handle it", etc, since maturity and reading scenes like that have nothing to do with each other.

Meagin SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
I read the book.....sorry people no sex between Clary and Jace....however if youre interested...they get close to it like 20 times and some other charcters do some similar things....

message 76: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Meagin wrote: "SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
I read the book.....sorry people no sex between Clary and Jace....however if youre interested...they get close to it like 20 times and some other charcters do some similar thing..."

I swear they did though, that one night Jace was himself they did...didn't they?

Meagin Kate wrote: "Meagin wrote: "SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
I read the book.....sorry people no sex between Clary and Jace....however if youre interested...they get close to it like 20 times and some other charcters do som..."

nope...he stopped her in the middle....at the end he says something like "we cant do what we ALMOST did in Paris"

Ophelia ॐ Meagin wrote: "Kate wrote: "Meagin wrote: "SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
I read the book.....sorry people no sex between Clary and Jace....however if youre interested...they get close to it like 20 times and some other cha..."

why were they in Paris? [sorry I haven't read it yet, but I sooooo want to!]

Meagin well go and read it!!!!!!! btw thats where jace and sebastion were at one point and clary was with them

taylor I loved it. The whole time I kept thinking "CLARY, SEBASTIAN CAN FEEL THAT."

Sammie Jurdy im 14 and reading this amazing series.what page does this happen i didnt read it all 2 so yeah. im readin the book as i type

Hannah Sammie wrote: "im 14 and reading this amazing series.what page does this happen i didnt read it all 2 so yeah. im readin the book as i type"

it happens about half way through city of lost souls

Sammie Jurdy thanks hannah! can't wait for it to happen. wait can u tell me is jace really bbeing controlled by sebastian or is he himself and is sebsation bad in this book?

Hannah Sammie wrote: "thanks hannah! can't wait for it to happen. wait can u tell me is jace really bbeing controlled by sebastian or is he himself and is sebsation bad in this book?"

i really dont want to spoil it for you :) ill msg u if u want me to tell you though but you should read it makes it more exciting...i know its hard to stop temptation though lol

Sammie Jurdy please message it to me...i read to slow so i cant wait plz tell i still keep read it

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ I don't see how this is REALLY exciting...

Sammie Jurdy whats not exciting?

Senait I think this should have been in the book!! It's just so HOT!!! :D

Rachel I loved the stronger scene and wish they would have put it in the book!

Thalia Senait wrote: "I think this should have been in the book!! It's just so HOT!!! :D"

This is in the book. They go dancing at some weird club with Sebastian and this happens.

Hannah Thalia wrote: "Senait wrote: "I think this should have been in the book!! It's just so HOT!!! :D"

This is in the book. They go dancing at some weird club with Sebastian and this happens."

It's not quite the same but pretty close

Margarita OMG I JUST LOVED IT!I LOVE SEXY THRILLING SCENES WITH THE MAIN CHARACTERS!How i wish my life were like a book!That wasn't really like the best thing about that scene, it was the fairy drug!WIsh fairy drugs exsisted!

message 93: by Senait (last edited Jul 19, 2012 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Senait Senait wrote: "I think this should have been in the book!! It's just so HOT!!! :D"

Thalia wrote: "This is in the book. They go dancing at some weird club with Sebastian and this happens."

Oh, I meant the DSCS that Clare wrote in Mexico that was too hot to be in the book :)

Celine Ouais! It is getting hot on them pages! Haha

message 95: by Dominique (new)

Dominique Jia wrote: "omg!!!!y not in d book??this waz really hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

ifkr

DistrictFourGal it's about time! city of heavenly fire, do not leave anything out. g-rated? come on! it's jace and clary!

message 97: by Ginasar (new)

Ginasar What chapter is it ???????????????

Miriam Mathew This. Is. Such. An. Annoying. Tease. I need more!!

message 99: by Gigi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gigi Senait wrote: "Senait wrote: "I think this should have been in the book!! It's just so HOT!!! :D"

Thalia wrote: "This is in the book. They go dancing at some weird club with Sebastian and this happens."

Oh, I m..."

What is this scene in Mexico I thought it was in Prugue or France?

message 100: by Christina (last edited Aug 28, 2013 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Christina I honestly didn't find this scene very dirty or sexy, though I did find the idea of Sebastian getting off on it in any way just a bit revolting. The scene definitely could have been sexier and dirtier, but this is a YA book, so perhaps it could be considered those things.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Lost Souls (other topics)