Chicks On Lit discussion

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) Michelle started an interesting thread today about a list NPR had published about a top 100 List of SciFi/Fantasy books.

It brings to mind that there are lots of lists out there. Recently, I've been looking hard at the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die lists.
one of the 1001 lists

Is anyone using a list to direct her reading? Which ones?

Kiana Davenport | 51 comments @ Elizabeth. I Keep forgetting to mention. FUGITIVE PIECES by
Judith (?) Michaels is one of the most beautiful novels I have ever EVER! read. The writing is sheer poetry. The story heartbreaking and
uplifting. Its on the Before You Die list!

Thanks for reminding....Kiana Davenport in Hawaii

Elizabeth (Alaska) Good to hear, Kiana. I've put Fugitive Pieces on my wish list.

Mary (MaryBT) | 336 comments I used to do searches for books that had been banned in various schools and then read all of them. It's a good way to get your classics in.

Elizabeth (Alaska) There are so many lists out there, including the wonderful Goodreads feature Listopia. I'm sort of surprised more people aren't using lists in some way.

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 206 comments I love the list! But from the looks of things, I really need to start reading, lol. I wonder if the books that showed up in bold print are the ones I've already read? If so, I'm missing a few.

Mary BT (MaryBT) | 196 comments I used to do searches for books that had been banned in various schools and then read all of them. It's a good way to get your classics in.

Awesome! I think October is officially banned book week, isn't it?

Viola | 979 comments I'm not typically a fan of lists. I think most of the time, I just end up feeling overwhelmed -- like there are SO many books that I haven't read and somehow feel like I should by virtue of it being on a list. It then turns into a dreadful feeling, reminds me of my mortality, and the limitations of life.

Mandy | 251 comments being a particular fan of lists in general (i make lists of my lists), this topic is near and dear to my heart.

i get book suggestions from lots of lists: Amazon's bestseller and editor's choice lists, the New York Times bestseller lists, lists on goodreads' listopia (usually the most popular of particular genres, eras, etc.), other CoL members' book lists (i pilfer rather often from Marialyce's, for example). i like to keep lists of my TBR books, otherwise i'd never keep track.

Jennifer | 174 comments Since joining this group my list is ever growing. I love to make lists but I found I was reading just to tackle the list (like with the 1001 books) and not for the enjoyment of it. I was rushing to get through books I didn't really like just to get to the next book. Now I'm trying to take it easy and just get to them when I get to them, but I still keep the list.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I look at lists, obviously. I know I'll never have enough time to read all of the 1001 list. Which just frees me because there are some on that list I really don't want to read. But it gives me a good framework to work from, helps to guide me.

I'm in a challenge group that often uses lists to fulfill a category. Those lists can be fascinating.

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 206 comments I like using GoodReads for my TBR list. That way, when I go to the library, I can just look at the GR app on my phone to see what I want to read.

message 12: by B. (new)

B. I am a list-y person; love to make them, and love to check things off of them.

I have always wanted to read the 100 Best Novels from the Modern Library. I've printed out the list several times, but haven't followed through. This post has made me dig out that list, and maybe start to try again :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4178 comments That is a long list :)

Christine | 1300 comments I googled What should I read next? (cause I am tired and playing around) and there is a site with that exact title. You put in a book you liked and it comes back with Several suggestions..

http://whatshouldireadnext.com/

Thought it was interesting

Sheila  | 2431 comments Mod
Has anyone else seen this page for the Time Magazine 100 all-time best novels (it came up as an ad for me today here on Goodreads). Looks like I've read 13 of the 100.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/challen...

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 206 comments Has anyone else seen this page for the Time Magazine 100 all-time best novels (it came up as an ad for me today here on Goodreads). Looks like I've read 13 of the 100.

I've read about half, but not all of them appear as having been read. I guess I'll have to update my GoodReads shelves, lol.

Rachel (wolfewoman) | 24 comments I look at the bbc list of 100 books people have never read (refuse to read Hardy, so I'm never going to finish it!) and the Time top 100 novels list from a while back every once in a while. Occasionally I'll pick a book from there, but I'm not focused on them. I do like to read lists, see what I have read, sometimes get ideas for new reads, but I don't focus on finishing the list.

Viola | 979 comments A list of this fall's books:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/08/upcoming-books-24-new-releases-to-look-forward-to-this-fall/243962/

Some of them look pretty interesting! Ah, my to-read list only gets bigger and bigger.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4178 comments I read 29 books off the banned books lists of 1990-1999 and the 2000-2011 lists.

Jennifer | 174 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I read 29 books off the banned books lists of 1990-1999 and the 2000-2011 lists."

Banned from where? Those would be interesting lists to see!

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 206 comments Until last week, I didn't even realize that Good Reads lets you start your own lists (via 'listopia'). I started one called 'favorite oddities' in which I've listed my favorite slipstream novels (books that don't easily fit into a single category).

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4178 comments This was the Banned Books list of 1990-1999 and 2000-2011.

Katie | 38 comments Michelle wrote: "I like using GoodReads for my TBR list. That way, when I go to the library, I can just look at the GR app on my phone to see what I want to read."

Genius!!!! I always forget my list when I go to the library which leaves me trying to guess book titles from my list at home!!

Katie | 38 comments I get a lot of book suggestions from the new york times sunday book review.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Katie wrote: "Genius!!!! I always forget my list when I go to the library which leaves me trying to guess book titles from my list at home!!"

On the infrequent occasions I go to the library, I spend a few moments the day or two before looking at the online card catalogue and putting a hold on the books I want.

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 206 comments I also look at NPR's list of books. A lot of times, they'll compile a list of books for summer reading, etc. Also, last year, my friend gave me a "Book Lover's" page-a-day calendar. Now, my TBR pile is *very* long, lol.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fugitive Pieces (other topics)