Chick Lit Book Club discussion

Book of the Month Suggestions > September's Suggestions

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 10, 2011 10:32PM) (new)

Ashley In honor of our 50th book club read in September, we have chosen a theme based on the tradition of the 50th anniversary being the Golden Anniversary. So this month, please nominate books with some kind of jewelry or 'bling' on the cover. Good luck and happy book hunting! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, this is a hard assignment! Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger is the first one to come to mind, and I know I read it, but I can't remember if I liked it or not. I may have to swing by the library after work and peruse some book covers.

message 3: by Megan (last edited Aug 11, 2011 05:17AM) (new)

Megan Taylor (MegsyT) This looks like it could be a good read. Something From Tiffany’s by Melissa Hill

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (LaurenBGrossman) "What Terms of Endearment" did for the mother-daughter relationship, "Once in Every Generation" does for the teacher-student connection.

Eleven-year-old Angelina Mariano was a phenomenon that happens only once in every generation. Her spectacular singing voice was incomparable. But a traumatic incident creates a debilitating phobia which destroys any dream of pursuing her passion.

As an adult, Angelina teaches private voice lessons and takes on a student whose voice she recognizes as an astonishing talent and one who has the possibility of the career that eluded her. Lisa Forester is that student. Becoming her mentor and friend, Angelina nourishes young Lisa’s talent and instills in her that which had escaped her—the confidence and belief in her own superb talent.

Unleashed, the young student’s talent launches her on a meteoric rise to stardom. At the height of Lisa’s career, a life-altering illness arises. Because of her love for Lisa, Angelina must face her own fears and dig deep down inside herself to find the courage to sing.

Relying on one another’s strength, both women must learn to face their own challenges.

"Once in Every Generation" is a story of relationships, courage and dreams interrupted.

Available as paperback or e-book.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Rachale) | 16 comments Something from Tiffany's by Melissa Hill was really good I thought.
I also just bought "Hedge fund wives" by Tatiana Boncompagni in the UK kindle sale :)

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Rachale) | 16 comments oooh megan already mentioned Something from Tiffany's - the pic has only jut loaded on my phone lol

Great minds... :)

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Donna wrote: "Wow, this is a hard assignment!"

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? :)

message 8: by Ashley (last edited Aug 11, 2011 04:23PM) (new)

Ashley Lauren wrote: ""What Terms of Endearment" did for the mother-daughter relationship, "Once in Every Generation" does for the teacher-student connection.

Eleven-year-old Angelina Mariano was a phenomenon that happ..."

Lauren, there is an author promo thread on the main page. Please use that when self promoting. This thread is for book suggestions with the theme of jewelry or some other shiny bling on the cover. Thank you.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 40 comments Ashley wrote: "Donna wrote: "Wow, this is a hard assignment!"

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? :)"

I tried looking for a book suggestion with bling on the cover but I couldn't find any. :(

message 10: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Megan wrote: "This looks like it could be a good read.Something From Tiffany’s by Melissa Hill"

It is currently sold out on Amazon and just released in May. Must be a good read. Cute cover!

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Oh, so might be hard to find?

message 12: by LiteraryMarie (new)

LiteraryMarie Amazon is restocking, just not sure when.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley wrote: "Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? :)"

Good... I think! ;)

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Donna wrote: " Ashley wrote: "Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? :)"

Good... I think! ;)"

If we can't find more suggestions, we can always change the theme... Was just trying to find something fun and different to do, instead of the regular "back to school" theme.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

message 16: by Randi (last edited Aug 12, 2011 11:15AM) (new)

Randi (smilesforrandi) | 45 comments Ashley wrote: "There's Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder"

I second " There's Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder"! I've been dying to read this one

message 17: by Ashley (last edited Aug 12, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

Ashley Randi wrote: "I second "There's Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder"! I've been dying to read this one"

I've heard it's good :)

message 18: by Ashley (last edited Aug 12, 2011 12:40PM) (new)

Ashley **Disclaimer: I am not 'recommending' these books, so much as finding covers with bling on them. Click on them and see if they are any good as I'm not reading their summaries before posting :) **

A Billion Reasons Why by Kristin Billerbeck Accidentally Engaged (Little Black Dress) by Mary Carter Bad Girls by Rebecca Chance

message 19: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 47 comments Girl with a Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevlier??? Not sure if pearl is enough bling...just a suggestion.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley wrote: "...Was just trying to find something fun and different to do..."

I'm so happy you did because I'm actually having a lot of fun with it! Who knew finding book covers with jewelry on them would be harder to find than books with just feet?

I also vote for "There's Cake in My Future." Sounds good!

I came across these on Amazon today, never read any of them, but they are kind of "blingy" or at least have a ring on them.

A Match Made on Madison by Dee Davis Marrying Out of Money by Nicky Schmidt The Finishing Touches by Hester Browne Confessions of a Beauty Addict by Nadine Haobsh

message 21: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 47 comments Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran? That has bling...

message 22: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 47 comments The Book of Bright Ideas(Paperback)
by Sandra Kring
(for some reason I"m not getting the pics to show up)

message 23: by Ashley (new)

message 24: by Randi (new)

Randi (smilesforrandi) | 45 comments It's not complete "bling" on the cover, but it does have some (in the form of a crown at least)! The Hopeless Romantic's Handbook A Novel by Gemma Townley

message 25: by Monique (new)

Monique (thebeautygirl) | 73 comments Ashley wrote: "There's Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder"

ditto on this sugestion!! i want to read this too!! :)

message 26: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 538 comments Monique wrote: "Ashley wrote: "There's Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder"

ditto on this sugestion!! i want to read this too!! :)"

Ditto..ditto ditto! I've been wanting to read this since it came out:) Hilarious author.

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 538 comments i recently received Wanna Get Lucky? by Deborah Coonts and What Stays in Vegas by Beth Labonte (I figured all those sparkly stars are pretty blingy:)) So these are on my upcoming TBR list too!

message 28: by Monique (new)

Monique (thebeautygirl) | 73 comments Donna wrote: " Ashley wrote: "...Was just trying to find something fun and different to do..."

I'm so happy you did because I'm actually having a lot of fun with it! Who knew finding book covers with jewelry o..."

Confessions of a Beauty Addict by Nadine Haobsh

Confessions of a Beauty Addict is really good!

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen | 40 comments How about this one: Always Something There to Remind Me by Beth Harbison It looks cute and has some funny 80's flashback memories and there is even some jewelry on the cover!

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin I've been wanting to read both Always Something There to Remind Me and There's Cake in My Future for a while now:)

message 31: by Randi (new)

Randi (smilesforrandi) | 45 comments Jen wrote: "How about this one: Always Something There to Remind Me by Beth Harbison It looks cute and has some funny 80's flashback memories and there is even some jewelry on the cover!"

I second this choice too! It looks cute and I really like some of Beth Harbison's other books as well.

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I know this thread wasn't open long, sorry!, but I went ahead and made a poll with what we had so that we have time to vote and get the book before September starts!

We'll try to get the next suggestion thread up sooner in the month, next month, so you have more time to find and suggest books. So, with that being said- any ideas for October's theme? :)

message 33: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 47 comments an orange or black or purple cover, maybe?

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brown | 16 comments Missed Sept so here is idea for October "Rules of Civility"?

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Is that a book or a theme?

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brown | 16 comments Book...sounds like a theme though!

message 37: by Lola (last edited Aug 21, 2011 10:40PM) (new)

Lola (mslpjones) | 2 comments Ashley wrote: "**Disclaimer: I am not 'recommending' these books, so much as finding covers with bling on them. Click on them and see if they are any good as I'm not reading their summaries before posting :) **..."

I read the summaries of these books, and Accidentally Engaged sounds really good. I definitely really want to read this book.

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley The poll to vote for books is on the home page! Voting ends the 24th :)

message 39: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (goodreadscominfolady) | 29 comments Chasing Harry Winstgon

message 40: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 47 comments Do we always do the top 2 vote getters? I already sent for There's Cake in my Future. Will send for the other if we do two.
jeanne

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Jeanne wrote: "Do we always do the top 2 vote getters? I already sent for There's Cake in my Future. Will send for the other if we do two.
jeanne"

We've been doing the top 2 for the past few months and members seem to really like that, so we will plan to do that in September as well.

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Jeanne wrote: "an orange or black or purple cover, maybe?"

Thank you, Jeanne!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Chasing Harry Winston (other topics)
Something From Tiffany’s (other topics)
There's Cake in My Future (other topics)
A Billion Reasons Why (other topics)
Accidentally Engaged (other topics)
More...