Terminalcoffee discussion

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lila (new)

Lila | 146 comments I think we are becoming less civilized all the time.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael So do I.

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwell) Civilized, yes! Look at this-
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/0...

ā€Ž"Here's what you've gotta love about anarchy in the U.K. -- even their looters queue up." - Jon Stewart

message 5: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 10, 2011 01:46PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I received an email from a friend in London this morning:

The madness of it was encapsulated for me yesterday as I walked through Notting Hill, all shops boarded up by dusk and streets deserted - to the sound of tennis rackets twanging on one side of the street (in a private communal garden), and riot sirens blaring down the road on the other to where some kids were out with machetes. Just insane.

I can't claim to understand much about this entire situation, but even from a great distance it seems terribly sad.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I do not understand it either, but apparently there is a huge lack of parental supervision if a lot of these kids are 15 and under. Not in their shoes so can't really judge, but the whole situation seems sad indeed.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (last edited Aug 10, 2011 04:34PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 21800 comments I've read some of the Guardian coverage and some columnists are opining it's the result of the increasing gap between rich and non-rich in England, plus anger at all the austerity measures that have been instituted in the past year, such as enormous increases in university tuitions. Then you go in the comment sections and most readers seem to think it's more just angry youths with no respect for their parents or the law, who are being opportunistic. Obviously there's an element of racial anger (the man who was killed was black) and hatred of the police. I don't see how it must be one reason only. It can be all of them.

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21800 comments Are you referring to the 3 people hit by a car in Birmingham? Or 3 different people?

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
Copycat crimes.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
London youth are some of the biggest assholes. I have a friend who tried to teach science in basically the equivalent to an urban London school.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11395 comments Unbelievably vile piece from Ann Coulter this week about why people are rioting in London and how to stop them.

A couple of choice tidbits...

"Democrats would be delighted if violent mobs like those in Britain arose here -- perhaps in Wisconsin! That would allow them to introduce yet more government programs staffed by unionized public employees..."

Yes, because unions are today's republican bogeyman, as you assholes try to pit the masses against each other instead of against the entrenched moneyed interests.

"Inciting violent mobs is the essence of the left's agenda: Promote class warfare, illegitimate children and an utterly debased citizenry."

What fucking planet is she from?

"A few well-placed rifle rounds, and the rioting would end in an instant. A more sustained attack on the rampaging mob might save England from itself, finally removing shaved-head, drunken parasites from the benefits rolls that Britain can't find the will to abolish on moral or utilitarian grounds."

At what point would she ever feel she's gone too far? Here she's calling for people to start shooting those of "the rampaging mob." Aaaargh!

It's red meat for her fucktard base, and a sad, sad sign that our own society has declined farther than any would want to admit.

message 12: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Anne Coulter is vile. There is so much I could say, but the rage is not conducive to coherency. Had she been born in the age of human sacrifice, she would be a high priestess to some blood-drenched god of death and she would pull out the victims' hearts herself before squashing them under her self-righteous foot.

message 13: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 21800 comments She's so deranged that it's hard for me to conceptualize that she's even real. She has no bearing on my life, anyway, so I don't pay attention to her. If I actually thought she could do serious damage, I'd pay attention, but she only exists to make money for herself, to attract similarly deranged people who are willing to buy her books and pay her speaking fees.

message 14: by Pat (new)

Pat (PatB37) Ann Coulter is frustrated that she no longer has a monopoly on TV appearances for right wing crazy.

message 15: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) But on a lighter note, these are hilarious:

http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/

unread topics | mark unread