45 Master Characters: Mythic Models for Creating Original Characters 45 Master Characters question

Any suggestions for making my villain believable?
Stacy Stacy Aug 09, 2011 09:15PM
This book was great for understanding the Hero. But does anyone know of a good book for understanding and developing a believable Villain?

Stacy - check out "The Power Of The Dark Side" by Pamela Jaye Smith. I haven't read it yet but it's on my shelf and it's next. Looks very promising for your need to create a believable villain.

Hmm... If you liked this book, you might try and use one of the character types in this book and flip it over its head for a villain. A villain is just someone who stands in your hero's way so try and figure out what their motivation is and why they're doing what they're doing.

I think the best villains have at least one good quality. A completely nasty, unredeemable villain belongs in comic books. Give your readers a reason to feel empathy for the villain, too.

To me, the perfect villain is the grandmotherly babushka, with a big happy smile that is the leader of a Russian mob. What could be more frightening than a warm and loving grandmother that order a hit on a rival family. I like the unexpected villain.

Try "Inside Story; the Power of the Transformational Arc" by Dara Marks. This is a really great book for making your characters come to life on the page!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

45 Master Characters: Mythic Models for Creating Original Characters (other topics)