Creative Reviews Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Suggestions > Book Suggestions for Sept

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (Dranea) | 91 comments Mod
This is where you can leave one suggestion for the group for the month of Sept. Thanks!!!

message 2: by Anagha (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments We might read The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith, since the TV series is coming mid-September

message 3: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 23 comments I hadn't heard of this Anagha!!!

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Livingston | 6 comments May I suggest my own collection of short stories - Kindling - I'd love to be able to interact with a group of new readers in this book club?

message 5: by Anagha (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments Cassie wrote: "I hadn't heard of this Anagha!!!"

Smith is also author to the Vampire Diaries, which is more well-known. But this one will be too-pretty soon.

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Omg anagha! I read that series 15 years ago! Ouch I just dated myself! It was smiths best and I loved it!

message 7: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (Cambria409) | 108 comments Mod
Ooohhh. I saw the preview for Secret Circle on the CW this fall. I am already sooo in LOVE with The vampire Diaries on the CW, I vote for these books! Awesome suggestions!!!

message 8: by Cambria (new)

Stephen- Thanks for the suggestions can you share a link to your book? thanks!!

message 9: by Anagha (last edited Aug 07, 2011 04:34PM) (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments Jenn wrote: "Omg anagha! I read that series 15 years ago! Ouch I just dated myself! It was smiths best and I loved it!"

Hahaha! But if that is Smith's best, then I am very disappointed, and I will not be reading Vampire Diaries either. I have read a couple chapters of Secret Circle, and I thought it was barely above average, not at all worthy of a TV show. But I will finish the series, partly because I never read Vamp Diaries, and to be able to point out the differences between book and TV show and decide which I like better. I hate when they change the plot, don't you?

Still, I hope this comment won't influence anyone's decision, and even if it doesn't get voted, everyone should read it, even if it's just to be able to keep up when people are discussing it. And believe me, people are talking already.

message 10: by Cambria (new)

I haven't read the VD books. I tried to after the TV show but truthfully Elena annoyed me so bad. LOL. So i didn't and I have heard that it is really different from the books. But I love that show, its seriously my favorite show on TV. I haven't read secret circle but i am going to give the show a try. I hope its good and I haven't heard much about the books but I am willing to give them a try.

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Hi! Newbie here! At this time, I would not be interested in reading "Secret Circle". If the group decides to go that route, no worries, I will check back for October. I am also going to check this site for the August selection. Maybe I can join in.

My suggestion for Sept is "The Middle Place" by Kelly Corrigan. The Middle Place

Patricia

message 13: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Katie's Hellion by Lizzy ford only free until December.
Adult paranormal read , 1st in trilogy. no erotica.
Just a thought.

message 14: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Anagha wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Omg anagha! I read that series 15 years ago! Ouch I just dated myself! It was smiths best and I loved it!"

Hahaha! But if that is Smith's best, then I am very disappointed, and I will..."

double ouch, it was good when I was a kid.
I admittedly went back and re read some of these when I got older and they didn't seem as good.
The Forbidden game sucked, I didn't care for Vamp diaries, and the vision or something like that wasn't that great. Secret Circle is still the best of her works.
Maybe it was the time, maybe it was my age but I enjoyed it then.
And yes I hate when they change it, too.
A friend once said something that is pretty dead on...if you read the book, the movie will not fulfill you, if you liked the movie then read the book and you will love it.

message 15: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 23 comments Anagha wrote: "Cassie wrote: "I hadn't heard of this Anagha!!!"

Smith is also author to the Vampire Diaries, which is more well-known. But this one will be too-pretty soon."

I knew about Vampire Diaries (I started to just type VD but decided that might be confused for something else...haha...)... I actually haven't read those books, believe it or not! I do LOVE the show though! :-)

message 16: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) I suggest (if we can get our hands on it) Glenn Kleier's The Knowledge of Good and Evil. It's a really awesome book, and makes you think. Or, if we're looking for something short, there's Scott Rhine's novella The Icarus Transformation, also depending on whether you can get it or not. It's a lot of fun; and y'all can tell me if I missed anything while editing it :-)

Stephen's Kindling is a good idea, too. I haven't had a chance to read it, yet :-)

message 17: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Never read VD, but do like the TV series...and *someone* got me hooked on Teen Wolf...I can't remember who, but I love it! No suggestions myself...but I'll play lemming and follow along.

message 18: by Cambria (new)

Hmmmm, don't know who could have got you hooked on Teen Wolf..... *coughs*
By the way it is on tonight!!!! YAY YAY YAY

message 19: by Cambria (new)

So many books so little time...

message 20: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Cambria wrote: "Hmmmm, don't know who could have got you hooked on Teen Wolf..... *coughs*
By the way it is on tonight!!!! YAY YAY YAY"

I watched the first couple eps and really liked it, but then I got busy with this editing and read/reviewing stuff and haven't had time to watch it since! I just hate to take that time away from what I'm doing, you know?

message 21: by Anagha (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments Jenn wrote: "Anagha wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Omg anagha! I read that series 15 years ago! Ouch I just dated myself! It was smiths best and I loved it!"

Hahaha! But if that is Smith's best, then I am very disappoin..."

Sorry Jenn! Wasn't judging you. I did say it was above average-it wasn't boring while I was reading it. I just don't think it deserves a TV show. Your motto does have exceptions though: The Princess Bride, The Godfather, Jaws - and I have to say it - Twilight.

message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Anagha wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Anagha wrote: "Jenn wrote: "Omg anagha! I read that series 15 years ago! Ouch I just dated myself! It was smiths best and I loved it!"

Hahaha! But if that is Smith's best, then I am v..."

Snap!

message 23: by Anagha (last edited Aug 08, 2011 12:45PM) (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments Lol!

message 24: by Lena (new)

Lena | 12 comments Jenn wrote: "A friend once said something that is pretty dead on...if you read the book, the movie will not fulfill you, if you liked the movie then read the book and you will love it.

."

I completely agree. I'm always amazed at ppl who say they have to read the book first...Then the movie always disappoints! I always have to see the movie first or I know I'll just spend the whole time thinking about how it differs from the book and how different the characters look on the screen from how they looked in my head.

As far as books go, I wouldn't read anything by the VD author as I don't care for her writing. But I could always come back for the next round! Should we choose a category, or is this more of an anything-goes type thing? It might be fun to have a different category every month--paranormal, ya, chick-lit, etc.
I just read about this book and thought it sounded funny, Chloe Does Yale by Natalie Krinsky but I dont know if it's an ebook.

message 25: by Cambria (new)

Katy wrote: "Cambria wrote: "Hmmmm, don't know who could have got you hooked on Teen Wolf..... *coughs*
By the way it is on tonight!!!! YAY YAY YAY"

I watched the first couple eps and really liked it, but then..."

I know what you mean but I love that show and I love the Vampire Diaries and sometimes its nice (for me) to step away from the computer LOL

message 26: by Anagha (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments Definitely. Love the show too! So much that I've a VD updates widget on my blog lol!

message 27: by Cambria (new)

OHHHHHHH, where can get that and how do I out on there????

By the way Man week on my blog is next week and there WILL be tons of Damon pics because I love him. :)

message 28: by Cambria (new)

oh and if you love teen wolf I did a series review on my blog during werewolf week and there are tons of pics from the show!! :)

message 29: by Anagha (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments Cambria: This is the one I use- http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/the-v...
Another one is http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/devot...
Here's one without pictures: http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/vampi...
And this last iphone-looking one I just found, and am in love with. Might just change to it: http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/night...

As you can see I love WidgetBox lol!

message 30: by Anagha (last edited Aug 08, 2011 02:50PM) (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments On Teen Wolf, I say meh. It's a little too cliched, when I watch it I like it, but I am nowhere near hooked. In fact I haven't watched the last 3 or 4 episodes (unless there is reason for me to watch them, in which case-do tell lol)

message 31: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Cambria wrote: I know what you mean but I love that show and I love the Vampire Diaries and sometimes its nice (for me) to step away from the computer LOL "

Yeeeaaahh ... see, we don't have TV (can't afford it), so if I'm to watch it ... I have to watch it on Hulu ... so, no stepping away from the 'puter for me anyway ..

BTW, sorry about having more than one book in my recommendation post- I didn't read the initial post from Amy well enough - mea culpa!

message 32: by Cambria (new)

no problem. I have heard about hulu but never tried it!

message 33: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Cambria wrote: "no problem. I have heard about hulu but never tried it!"

It's a decent set-up - it's how I followed "Dollhouse" for 2 seasons, and I sometimes pop in there to watch "The A-Team" or "Bleach"

message 34: by Mysti (new)

Mysti Parker Ooo, I'd like to suggest Die Laughing by Louis K. Lowy! It's high on my TBR list already and I've interviewed Louis on my blog. The first page had me in stitches, so I can't wait to read the rest.

The book's description says: "Die Laughing, a humorously dark science-fiction novel, is set in the 1950s of flying saucers, communist paranoia, and live television."

I'll be holding up my hand until my arm's numb :)

message 35: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Mysti wrote: "Ooo, I'd like to suggest Die Laughing by Louis K. Lowy! It's high on my TBR list already and I've interviewed Louis on my blog. The first page had me in stitches, so I can't wait to..."

This is an AWESOME book - I read it a couple weeks ago.

message 36: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Yes Cambria, I happened to be on your blog this morning...stalking as I like to do...and saw the Teen Wolf stuff over there and then it clicked. It was *you*!

I will totally be stalking during Damon week. He's the reason I watch the show in the first place! I could give 2 hoots about Elana and her problems....LOL!

All the books suggested sound interesting. I'm game for any of them.

message 37: by Anagha (new)

Anagha (anaavu) | 20 comments Dale wrote: "I will totally be stalking during Damon week. He's the reason I watch the show in the first place! I could give 2 hoots about Elana and her problems....LOL! "

So true, Dale, so very true ;)

message 38: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 23 comments I agree about Die Laughing... I have read it and interviewed Louis on my blog. It is really fun...

message 39: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Pope | 1 comments I'm new to the group, so I don't know how titles are picked, but I would strongly recommend Roberto Bolano's 2666. It is a longer book, but a wonderful one. Some literary critic's have stated that this book redefines the concept of modern fiction, and I believe it. In narrative technique, this book is perhaps the most fascinating that I've read in ages.

message 40: by Cambria (new)

Dale wrote: "Yes Cambria, I happened to be on your blog this morning...stalking as I like to do...and saw the Teen Wolf stuff over there and then it clicked. It was *you*!

I will totally be stalking during D..."

Dale!! I find it soo hilarious that when people stumble upon my blog they say they find it familar then see the wolves and my pic and they know exactly who's blog it is!! That is like the biggest compliment to me ever!!! LOL. Maybe some would be a little embarassed, but not me!! LMAO
Anyway, girl. Did you watch Teen Wolf last night!!! Holy Cow I cannot beleive how good it was!! And then we still have the season finale!!!!!!! YAY!
And girl I only watch VD for Damon oh yeah and Tyler, LOVE me some of him too. I dn't much care what Elena does either acceot for when it hurts Damon, then I get upset. ha ha ha ha.
And I happen to think that Stefan was sooo much more interesting during the season finale when he was 'hopped up' on people blood. LOL

message 41: by Cambria (new)

Douglas wrote: "I'm new to the group, so I don't know how titles are picked, but I would strongly recommend Roberto Bolano's 2666. It is a longer book, but a wonderful one. Some literary critic's have stated tha..."

Thank you for the suggestion Douglas it sounds like a fantastic book!

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) Ok, if the pick is going to be some sort of teen fan paranormal fic, then count me out for that month. I am SO not interested in any of that, it's all a complete rip off of stuff that's been done to death, pardon the pun. If you want to go with REAL paranormal fiction, why not the ORIGINAL Dracula? Go back to the roots of the genre?

message 43: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) Lisa wrote: "Ok, if the pick is going to be some sort of teen fan paranormal fic, then count me out for that month. I am SO not interested in any of that, it's all a complete rip off of stuff that's been done ..."

The original Dracula is the first, and one of only two, book to give me nightmares - it is so wonderfully written! (the 2nd was James Reese's version of the Dracula story, if you are wondering: The Dracula Dossier: A Novel of Suspense - very creepy and psychological like the original)

Have you tried reading Marelene Perez's "Death is ..." series? The one I read was really quite good.

message 44: by Lena (new)

Lena | 12 comments I am burned out on YA fantasy right now, too. The last 2 I read started out well and then just made me SO MAD!!! lol. I posted the worst review I've ever written today...then I felt so guilty I went back and redid it so it wasn't a rant. I'm too much of a sissy to really ream someone, lol.

But I'd vote for Katy's suggestion if that was up! I'm ready to read something that gives me nightmares!

message 45: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 23 comments Cambria wrote: "Dale wrote: "Yes Cambria, I happened to be on your blog this morning...stalking as I like to do...and saw the Teen Wolf stuff over there and then it clicked. It was *you*!

I will totally be stal..."

If anything ever happens to Damon, I will quit watching...

message 46: by Dale (last edited Aug 10, 2011 03:50AM) (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Cam, agree with you there. You should start a thread on Teen Wolf discusisions! I have Monday's episode DVR'd and I only saw bits and pieces cuz my husband was *talking* through most of it! So I have to go back and watch when he's not around. He doesn't get it. LOL

Though I don't think I'll be burned out on YA paranormal for a long time (sorry, I like it!) I am so up for something to give me nightmares! I really like any genre, but scary stuff is so cool.

message 47: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas As a newbie to the group, I would love to suggest giving everyone a copy of my newest (and only) ebook.

See link
Book One: The Growing Dim Project
Book One The Growing Dim Project by Nicholas A. McGirr

thanks for the invite....

Nicholas.

message 48: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Nicholas wrote: "As a newbie to the group, I would love to suggest giving everyone a copy of my newest (and only) ebook.

See link
Book One: The Growing Dim Project
[bookcover:Book One: The Grow..."

For review of course....

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy (Dranea) | 91 comments Mod
There are some fantastic books in this list! Basically what I am going to do is take all of the suggestions and let random.com choose what book we end up reading. That way we will be guaranteed to have a wide variety of selections. I know some groups do it by vote, but then some people miss the votes...so I figure random.com will be totally impartial!! :)

message 50: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 23 comments Amy wrote: "There are some fantastic books in this list! Basically what I am going to do is take all of the suggestions and let random.com choose what book we end up reading. That way we will be guaranteed ..."

Great idea Amy!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Middle Place (other topics)
Chloe Does Yale (other topics)
Die Laughing (other topics)
The Dracula Dossier: A Novel Of Suspense (other topics)
The Growing Dim Project (other topics)
More...