Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Whats your all time favorite book?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 64) (64 new)    post a comment »

Cassandra | 2 comments Just wondering to see what you find interesting and looking for reccomendations! Thanks!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (JaymeILtheghostreader) | 4166 comments Anne of Green Gables (the whole series)
Bridge to Terrabithia
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
fairy tales

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 206 comments My all time favorite book would be "The Stand" by Stephen King. It was an epic novel, and even though I read it about thirty years ago, I still think about it.

But a few more on my list are:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Possession
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
The Handmaid's Tale
The Ghost Road

Picking my favorites is nearly impossible, but these are among my favorites.

Ann | 27 comments This is a great idea for a post -- definitely looking forward to people's responses. I love adding to my 'to be read' pile!

My favorite is:

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Best. Book. Ever.

Cassie | 487 comments Last summer, I read and absolutely loved Tom's Midnight Garden. Despite the fact that it's for a younger readership, I found Philippa Pearce's writing style enchanting. Also A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh, and while it's not necessarily my favorite book, I was so emotionally affected by the ending that I threw it across the room. (Then went and got it and looked over the last few pages again and was outraged once more.)

Nell | 97 comments Immediate answer - To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Every time I read it, I remember why I LOVE READING.

Georgie Lee (GeorgieLee) | 47 comments Michelle wrote: "My all time favorite book would be "The Stand" by Stephen King. It was an epic novel, and even though I read it about thirty years ago, I still think about it.

But a few more on my list are:

[bo..."

Great minds think alike! The Stand and The Handmaid's Tale are two of my all time favorite books. The third is Watership Down.

Viola | 979 comments I love this question!

Mine are Gone With the Wind and Pride and Prejudice.

JenC. (jencornelius) | 157 comments Pride and Prejudice if I had to pick just one.

Terri | 95 comments There are five novels I re-read every few years and I can't choose which one is my top but I'll try and list them in order of preference:

The Stand - Stephen King
Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Shogun - James Clavell
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver (sp?)
The Talisman - Stephen King

Good luck on choosing a favorite everyone!

Malla If one's a book lover, how can one choose? From the past, I'd pick 'The Crystal Cave' by Mary Stewart. More recently, I say, 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt.

Jennifer | 172 comments I have lots!

Beach Music-Pat Conroy
Little Women-Louisa May Alcott
To Kill A Mockingbird-Harper Lee
Of Mice and Men-John Steinbeck
The Kite Runner
and Pride and Prejudice of course!

message 14: by Jessie Marie (Jessie Marie Reads) (last edited Aug 08, 2011 06:23AM) (new)

Jessie Marie (Jessie Marie Reads) (JessicaVA) To have to pick just one is torture. So, here's my list, in no particular order, with more to be added for sure.

Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Nell | 97 comments This topic is adding to my TBR list and moving a few books up in the stack.

Priya (Priyavasudevan) | 108 comments I have a heart list, a head list and a combined list. This is it:
Wole Soyinka's poem Hello
The Glass bead game Hermann Hesse
Second Turn MT Vasudevan Nair
Kalki Ponniyin Selvam
Harry Potter series
LOTR Tolkien
Sophie's World Jostein Gaarder
Tereza Batista Jorge Amado
Greek Passion Nikos Kazantzakis
Ant hills of the Savannah Chinua Achebe
Shadow of the Wind Carlos Ruiz Zafan
My name is Red Orhan Pamuk
Speaking of Shiva A.K.Ramanujan

Priya (Priyavasudevan) | 108 comments Jennifer wrote: "I have lots!

Beach Music-Pat Conroy
Little Women-Louisa May Alcott
To Kill A Mockingbird-Harper Lee
Of Mice and Men-John Steinbeck
The Kite Runner
and Pride and Prejudice of course!"

To Kill A Mocking Bird and Steinbeck's East of Eden, Pride and Prejudice are on my heart list.

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 206 comments The third is Watership Down.

Grr..I should have added that one!!

Lori Baldi | 182 comments I think mine are favorites in categories.

Romance: Perfect

Contemporary Novel: The High Flyer

Historical Fiction: In Pale Battalions

Classic: Pride and Prejudice AND Middlemarch (Tie)

So many that are mentioned by others are favorites too. Rebecca, The Kite Runner, To Kill a Mockingbird, Gone with the Wind.
I wanted to be unique with my list and I generally don't like the same as everyone else.

KrisT | 553 comments Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen then all the rest of JA a close second
Jane Eyre; To kill a mockingbird;The Gargoyle just to name a few.

Emily Snyder (emilycasnyder) | 4 comments Tough one! I'll throw in A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett A Little Princess by Frances H. Burnett. I keep returning to the truths and beauty in it.

Georgie Lee (GeorgieLee) | 47 comments I love a Tree Grows in Brooklyn

My other favorites that no one else has mentioned are
Of Human Bondage
Les Liaisons Dangereuses
Lady Chatterley's Lover

message 25: by Priya (last edited Aug 10, 2011 09:37PM) (new)

Priya (Priyavasudevan) | 108 comments I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn & Lady's Chatterley's Lover but those others still make the cut.

Kerri Rifkin | 6 comments White Oleander by Janet Fitch and She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb. Many others, but those two were so captivating.

Georgie Lee (GeorgieLee) | 47 comments Through a Glass Darkly is on my TBR shelf but I haven't got to it yet.

I love W. Sommerset Maugham.

Louise | 55 comments Me too :-) Some of his short stories will always put me in a good mood.

Rachel (wolfewoman) | 24 comments Hard to pick just one! Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, anything by Jane Austen, To Kill a Mockingbird,
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler

Ellen Yoho | 7 comments This is not an easy choice to make;but, my all time favorite books would have to be anything written by Anne Tyler-Breathing Lessons,The Amateur Marriage, Dinner At The Homesick Reastaurant,and several others.

message 33: by Nadia (last edited Sep 13, 2011 08:30AM) (new)

Nadia (bagambo) My all time favorite book is A Confederacy of Duncesby John Kennedy Toole - it is hilarious, clever and just an all around terrific read!

Diana S | 7 comments My all time favorite books:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 206 comments My all time favorite book is A Confederacy of Duncesby John Kennedy Toole - it is hilarious, clever and just an all around terrific read!

Wow, really? I've never read that one since so many people who I know have tried it and told me not to bother. You're the first person I've heard give it a good review,lol. Maybe it will go back on my TBR pile after all!

Jackleen | 36 comments Michelle wrote: "My all time favorite book is A Confederacy of Duncesby John Kennedy Toole - it is hilarious, clever and just an all around terrific read!

Wow, really? I've never read that one since so many peo..."

I read this way back in college when I was 17 and I still remember the story. It is quirky with a different assortment of characters. But it is Hilarious, laugh out loud, crying funny. Hold in there past the first few chapters and you will not be sorry.

QueenAmidala28 | 57 comments Jackleen wrote: "There are so many books that could be my favourite but if I have to choose

Outlander
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Alienist
[book:The Other Boleyn Girl|698..."

LOL - Yes you have some great books listed but only one or two can be your FAV!!! I don't compare historical fiction novels to say, The Chronicles of Narnia.

QueenAmidala28 | 57 comments Ender's Shadow (Shadow Series, #1) by Orson Scott CardA BRILLIANT book!

Priya (Priyavasudevan) | 108 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Anne of Green Gables (the whole series)
Bridge to Terrabithia
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
fairy tales"

I loved the Anne Books. I still re-read them.

Priya (Priyavasudevan) | 108 comments Jackleen wrote: "There are so many books that could be my favourite but if I have to choose

Outlander
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Alienist
[book:The Other Boleyn Girl|698..."

East of Ede, The Alienist, LOTR, and the Forgotten Garden, are my favourites. I've read all the Narnias but prefer the movie. I've only seen the Other Boleyn Girl.

Priya (Priyavasudevan) | 108 comments Diana S wrote: "My all time favorite books:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen"

I have such a long list of favourites- books I'm willing to re-read any number of times- that I'm constantly forgetting something. I love To Kill a Mocking Bird and Pride & Prejudice.

Shelli Oh my gosh Katie...for years I said my favorite book was I Know This Much is True!!! Not that many people call it a favorite....I've read it twice!!

Angela Keating (ak0157h7) | 2 comments Priya wrote: "I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn & Lady's Chatterley's Lover but those others still make the cut."

Priya, I love Lady Chatterley's Lover! I read it at least once a year.

Julie (Julie1014) | 313 comments Priya, I am currently reading The Shadow of the Wind and can see why it is one of your favorites. I am loving it!

Priya (Priyavasudevan) | 108 comments Julie wrote: "Priya, I am currently reading The Shadow of the Wind and can see why it is one of your favorites. I am loving it!"

I know, the language and the Gothic feel are enough to keep you going, aren't they?

Kristen Since I have over 30 on my favorites shelf, I'll go with the top 3 I would recommend to anyone:
The Count of Monte Cristo
East of Eden
In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences

Katie | 36 comments Shelli wrote: "Oh my gosh Katie...for years I said my favorite book was I Know This Much is True!!! Not that many people call it a favorite....I've read it twice!!"

Yeah it certainly is not the feel good book of the year but definitely moving. Great story and great writing.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (other topics)
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (other topics)
The Ghost Road (other topics)
The Handmaid's Tale (other topics)
Possession (other topics)
More...