Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

The Red Keep > A Welcome to Westeros! Introductions.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 376) (376 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Chris , The Kingslayer (last edited Aug 05, 2011 04:04PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Welcome to Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris, the definitive GoodReads experience for fans of George R.R. Martin.

I'm Chris, and I'm a long-time fan of GRRM and his work. I've recently noticed a need for a GRRM-related group on GoodReads that is friendly to both veteran readers of his work and new people just starting to explore it. I've been encouraged by other fans to set one up, so I've set it up and here it is.

I hope that everyone will have lots of fun here as we discuss the works of the top fantasy writer of our day.

So make yourself at home and look around. You can start here by introducing yourself. If we see you here enough we might even invite you to join our Brotherhood Without Banners.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 34 comments Hey, Chris! Thanks for the invite! I know that I'm new to the series, so I'm proud to be included. :)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Yay! I'm so excited! The group looks great, Chris. Awesome job!

Now I just need to finish ADWD and I'll be ready to start The Long Wait for #6! ;)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments (And thank you, Goodreads, for not crashing a 4th time while I tried to post here! HMPH!)

message 5: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Welcome, Kathy. Remember what I said - this group is a good thing for new readers as much as the old vets.

And hey Becky. Fancy meeting you here, Khaleesi. Heh...Yeah, the Long Wait. I guess we'll have to try some of GRRM's other stuff, or it'll be a long time before we have an "upcoming reads" book in here.

message 6: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 178 comments Hey guys! I figured I should pop in and say hello. Chris did an awesome job setting up the group, didn't he? I was absolutely zero help :)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Chris wrote: "And hey Becky. Fancy meeting you here, Khaleesi. Heh...Yeah, the Long Wait. I guess we'll..."

I know... feels weird not to have a title here. LOL

I invited some peeps though... we'll see if any join. *fingers crossed*

message 8: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Hey Dawn...thanks...and you were helpful. I needed someone to look it over before it went public.

I guess I should have been careful though. I brought you in and told you to help yourself to whatever, then I saw that you were drinking wine. Yikes.

message 9: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments That could have ended up being ADwDWI.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments LOL... I wonder if you lose your license for that?

message 11: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Only if you start spewing out spoilers.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! Looks great, Chris =D

The name of the group is just way too cool =P

*assigned to Ser Ilyn Payne....bwahahaha, nice.

message 13: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Hey, Jen. Good to see you here.

And now I'll go ahead and give Jen the shout-out for suggesting the group name. I was stumped and she threw that out there. Awesome.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Chris wrote: "Hey, Jen. Good to see you here.

And now I'll go ahead and give Jen the shout-out for suggesting the group name. I was stumped and she threw that out there. Awesome."

Yes, but it wouldn't be such a great group without your design expertise and witty humor peppered throughout. I really like it! Great job =D

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments I love the group name, too. The only thing is that I wonder if people new to the books might not get it, or if it will come up in group searches.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Nevermind. My worries are unfounded, it seems. I just searched "A Game of Thrones" and "George R.R. Martin" in the groups and VMVD came up both times. Awesome.

message 17: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments I wonder if it does because I put his name in the description. There's also a quote right at the top of it that talks about what the name means.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Chris wrote: "There's also a quote right at the top of it that talks about what the name means."

Hmm... I don't think that quote is actually what it means, though. Valar Dohaeris is mentioned in Book 4: (view spoiler)

message 19: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Ahh, a topic for discussion. Our first?

It did say something about that on Tower of the Hand.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Ooooh... You know me, always the trouble-maker. ;)

Maja (maja_montero) | 14 comments Hey Chris!

Thank you for the invite! This is great! :)

message 22: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Hey Maja....

Everyone, Maja. Maja, everyone.

Well, 4 or 5 of everyone.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Hi Maja! Welcome to the mad house Westeros! ;)

message 24: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 178 comments Hi Maja! Welcome :)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 70 comments Hi! Awesome group Chris! About time :) I am off to explore.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

So uh.

hi.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Sup?

message 28: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Hey Jackie Tully!

And Ala Clegane...cool.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh sure, make me a Clegane.

I will cut off your horses head

Terri Hi Guys! Thanks for the invite!
I suppose now that I have joined I'll have to get off my arse...or...wait, stay on my arse and not only watch the series but finish READING the series. :D

message 31: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Ala wrote: "Oh sure, make me a Clegane.

I will cut off your horses head"

Hey, Cleganes are my some of my favorites. At least I didn't make you a Greyjoy.

message 32: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Hey Terri!

No requirements. Just have fun.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Hi Terri! Glad to have you with us. I think you'll really love the books.

message 34: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 178 comments I agree with Chris on the Cleganes, (view spoiler) :)

message 35: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 178 comments And hi Terri!!!! I agree with Becky - these are right up your alley.

That's a weird saying.

Leslie (LeslieHW) | 23 comments Thanks for the invite Chris!!!!! Favorite books and favorite people. Can't be beat!!!

message 37: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 623 comments Hey Leslie....I wondered when you'd show up. Hehe..

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Holy Exclamation Points, Batman!!!!! :P

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Hi Leslie! Good of you to drop by... ;)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Speaking of exclamation points... a woman I work with calls them "explanation points".

Just thought I'd mention that. LOL

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello new people!

Becky, there's definitely been some debate concerning the meaning of Valar Morghulis and Valar Dohaeris. As far as what I've found about it GRRM hasn't actually clarified it anywhere.
I think you should ask him about it next time you see him! hehe =D

I've seen two meanings for VM and one for VD (uh...Valar Dohaeris):
(view spoiler)

Leslie (LeslieHW) | 23 comments Becky wrote: "Holy Exclamation Points, Batman!!!!! :P"

I'm just so excited!

message 43: by Terri (last edited Aug 06, 2011 05:27PM) (new)

Terri HI Chris, Becky and Dawn,

Yes, I have genuine intentions to proceed with these books now that the series has jolted me back to the story. As you say, Dawn, they certainly are up my alley (although, I feel a bit awkward that we're talking about my alley in public). :D

Recorded EP 5 of the series last night. Am about 5 minutes off going to watch it .

And hello Jennifer..and look there's Leslie. *waves at Leslie*

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

You're so lucky Terri! I have to wait for the DVD's.
Sigh....patience is not a virtue that I possess in any great quantity.
GRR!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie wrote: "Becky wrote: "Holy Exclamation Points, Batman!!!!! :P"

I'm just so excited!"

Hahaha, yes!

message 46: by Terri (last edited Aug 06, 2011 05:33PM) (new)

Terri Oh erg. Really? You poor thing. :( I know someone who downloaded it off the net. I know not where or how. :) I may be able to find out given a few days.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Jennifer wrote: "Becky, there's definitely been some debate concerning the meaning of Valar Morghulis and Valar Dohaeris. As far as what I've found about it GRRM hasn't actually clarified it anywhere."

That's different than what I understood it to mean, Jen.

(view spoiler)

Maybe we should start a different thread. LOL

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 06, 2011 05:45PM) (new)

Yeah, maybe a "Your favorite quotes from ASOIF"

eta: I don't disagree with your comment either, it makes sense. I still think you should call GRRM up and ask him =D

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 254 comments Oooh good one. *scuttles off to create*

Tasha Hi everyone! I was invited by Terri to check out this group. How cool is this? I've read just the first two books in the ASOIAF series but am planing for a book 3 read in October. Looking forward to having this group to discuss these amazing stories. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Great Gatsby (other topics)
The Winds of Winter (other topics)
A Dance with Dragons (other topics)