SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

August Book Discussions > Time's Edge

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (last edited Aug 04, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

Charles (NogDog) Figured I'd start a thread for this one, even though I did not get past the sample. It just seemed too amateurish to me: 4 characters within the first few pages (including the prologue) with names beginning with "Z", and the first two female characters of consequence each had eyes of some shade of green. What is it with authors and green-eyed women, anyway? Then the corny "Lady or the Tiger" sequence at the end of the sample, and that was enough for me.

So, to any of you who soldiered on and finished it, did I miss anything?

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg (Geemont) | 463 comments I bought it, but only got through 11% before giving up. No world building, no character building--just throwing two people into an action sequence isn't enough to hold my interest.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna (DonnaHR) | 365 comments Mod
I wanted to quit, but I stuck it out to the end. Here's my review:

"This book had a somewhat interesting premise but I didn't think much of the writing. If I was the book-abandoning type, I would have quit reading a few chapters in. It felt very hokey, and I was rolling my eyes. I kept reading and the story did get more interesting. However, the entire time I was reading it, I kept moving back and forth between "this is okay", to "this is just wasting my time". The relationship between the main characters kept slipping into cheesy romance novel territory, which felt totally out of place in the rest of the story."

message 4: by Geoffrey, The One, The Only (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) | 946 comments Mod
I read 250 locations last night and stopped, picked up another book, read about 250 locations and stopped before settling on a third book.

I don't know if I picked up two bad books in a row or I was just in a mood .... so I'll have to try again maybe this weekend. But I dont have a good feeling about this ....

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (JennyK89) I read Time's Edge back in June. I had a problem with the writing style, it seemed basic or something. It was also hard getting used to action after action after action without anything in between. However, it did end up pulling me in. It got to a point where I couldn't stop reading and I was really enjoying the story. I understand why people would not like it and would stop reading it, but I'm now looking forward to the next book in the series.

unread topics | mark unread