Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War Deer Hunting with Jesus discussion

Politics

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa I don't give out 5 stars easily--the only other book was Out Stealing Horses. This one deserves it for a completely different reason--this is the guy who answers the question "Why is this country often so idiotic when it comes to electing leaders?" I gained a whole new perspective on myself and my fellow travelers--how can we be educated, thoughtful, so convinced of what is right and necessary politically, but still come out on the losing side so often? The fact that he explains the problem without bashing people or ranting gets him his 5th star. He also has a sense of humor that makes this a very compelling read. This is a book to give to your friends and relatives on any point of the political spectrum. Some of them may hate you for it in a political sense, but they probably already do--this will flush them out.

message 2: by Nik (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nik It is a good read, even speaking as a non-American

Joanne This is an excellent book, and it's too bad Joe Bageant is dead. It explained a lot to me about why people vote against their own self-interest, and who they are. These were his "folk" and he wrote from personal knowledge, not some scholarly study. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Matthew wally wrote: "i thought this book qualified for a hate-crime."

A hate crime against whom? Completely understandable that you may not like him or agree with his views, but this is a bit too hyperbolic.

message 5: by Nik (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nik I'm with Matthew on this one - in what sense is it a hate crime and against who?

message 6: by Nik (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nik wally wrote: "i addressed those issues in my review."

I'm new to GR ... how to do I find the link to your review, please? I'm genuinely intrigued now.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War (other topics)