Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17) Smokin' Seventeen discussion


355 views
Is it time for Ranger to be killed off?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 107) (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Adrienne Testa Seems to me Janet Evanovich is under utilizing the character Ranger in her books. Not since book 12 have we been able to learn about the mystery man. The story well written, telling some of Ranger's feelings for Stephanie, as well as Stephanie admitting she was in love with Ranger. It doesn't look like we the readers will get any satisfaction in learning about Ranger's past or having a relationship with Stephanie Plum. The character Ranger is now reduced to being a tease... hype to sell books. Is it time Ranger is killed off? I would say yes. What do you think?


Katherine W. If Evanovich is going to continue to abuse her characters and make them into total idiots then yes, it is time to kill off Ranger before the ship sinks.

What I would rather see happen is Ranger move to Atlanta, Boston, or Miami and get his own series written by someone other than Ms. Evanovich. But I do want to see him leave the Plum series with dignity.


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Since JE has killed the series, why not kill off Ranger too.


message 4: by Carole (new)

Carole JE is not treating either man well but why kill off a character that you seem to care a lot about. I'm sure you enjoy reading about him even if JE doesnt write him in depth. Thats why he's a man of mystery. JE's writing skills don't seem up to snuff lately, she might as well kill off everybody. LOL


message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2011 06:06AM) (new)

Carole, for me the series ended with Book 12. I have read Books 13-17 out of morbid curiosity.

8/2/2011: I need to clarify. When I read Books 13 and 14, I noticed a serious downturn in the writing and characters. I read 15-17 out of morbid curiosity. I will read 18 for the same reason, but I don't intend to buy it.


Adrienne Testa Carole wrote: "JE is not treating either man well but why kill off a character that you seem to care a lot about. I'm sure you enjoy reading about him even if JE doesnt write him in depth. Thats why he's a man ..."
Carole: cause Ranger is now only being used as a tease to sell more books. I realize he's only a character. But, there was so much left unexplored that would have made for interesting reading. Instead, the books have declined to books that are poorly written and leaves you frustrated. So much potential left untapped. I agree JE's writing isn't up to snuff, so then why put it out there in the first place.


Katherine W. Carole wrote: "JE is not treating either man well but why kill off a character that you seem to care a lot about. I'm sure you enjoy reading about him even if JE doesnt write him in depth. Thats why he's a man ..."

I agree Carol. JE should end the series before she completely ruins it.


Adrienne Testa Katherine wrote: "If Evanovich is going to continue to abuse her characters and make them into total idiots then yes, it is time to kill off Ranger before the ship sinks.

What I would rather see happen is Ranger ..."

Katherine: works for me!!!! I think Charlotte Hughes would be the ideal writer of a Ranger series. It could tell his story which would quite interesting to read.


Adrienne Testa Adrienne wrote: "Katherine wrote: "If Evanovich is going to continue to abuse her characters and make them into total idiots then yes, it is time to kill off Ranger before the ship sinks.

What I would rather see..."


Katherine: I would think then Ranger fans would get the justice that lacks in the Plum series because JE chooses not to explore Ranger's secrets. Could make for interesting reading.


Jessica I think it's time to either end the series, or have Stephanie pick a guy and the rest of the series be about the two of them. How many times can Stephanie blow up her cars, or by a stroke of luck catch the people she is after? The whole Ranger/Morelli thing is getting old. She needs to pick one. I think a Ranger spin off would be great, and maybe Lula too. I keep reading the new books in hopes that she's finally going to pick between the two guys.


Amber Kill him off?? OMG that makes my heart hurt! I think he needs to find a woman and give Stephanie a dose of her own medicine.


Alice OMG! OMG! What are you thinking? NO NO NO


Katherine W. Alice wrote: "OMG! OMG! What are you thinking? NO NO NO"

JE says Ranger is a plot complication to keep the sexual tension between Morelli and Stephanie. She has also made his character silly and stupid. I'd rather see him killed off, as a hero, than made to look even more stupid.


Katherine W. Jessica wrote: "I think it's time to either end the series, or have Stephanie pick a guy and the rest of the series be about the two of them. How many times can Stephanie blow up her cars, or by a stroke of luck c..."

That is the authors plan. To keep you buying her books hoping a decision will be made as each book gets more stupid and plot-less than the previous book.


Adrienne Testa Amber wrote: "Kill him off?? OMG that makes my heart hurt! I think he needs to find a woman and give Stephanie a dose of her own medicine."

Amber: do you remember book 12? When Ranger's daughter was kidnapped? Ranger telling Stephanie he was emotionally attached to her. If Stephanie slept with Morelli while he was there, Ranger would kill him. The last line in that book was: One Ranger is all you need. Well, since that book have you been satisfied by the portrayal of Ranger? How is he a complication? What sexual tension was ever between Morelli and Stephanie, they were always in competition for a bad guy or information. Its as if Janet is only keeping around to silence her Ranger fans. They have not progressed. Every thing is stagnant. If Ranger was killed off in the Plum series, may be someone else could tell his story. Cause, JE has no intentions of doing so.


Adrienne Testa Katherine wrote: "Alice wrote: "OMG! OMG! What are you thinking? NO NO NO"

JE says Ranger is a plot complication to keep the sexual tension between Morelli and Stephanie. She has also made his character silly and ..."

Alice: have you read sexual tension between Morelli and Stephanie in any of the books? The sexual tension and attraction has always been between Ranger and Stephanie. All Ranger has been doing in the past four - five books is waiting. He's a hot sexy alpha male with a bad boy reputation... he is under utilized and needs his story told properly.


Adrienne Testa Alice wrote: "OMG! OMG! What are you thinking? NO NO NO"

Alice, have you been happy with the way Ranger has been portrayed since book 12. He's suppose to be a hot sexy alpha male, with a bad boy image. Not waiting in the curtains for morsels. I am thinking, if Ranger was killed off in the Plum series. Someone else could write his story. Give him back his alpha male bad boy image. Instead being nothing more than a robotic emotionless male waiting his turn for Stephanie.


message 18: by Carole (new)

Carole You are asking JE to write something she is no longer capable of. Unfortunately, she can longer write any kind of emotions. From 14 on it has just been slapstick. I'm grateful that there was not even one fart in #17 but a mystery, suspence or even a lit of romance, that ship has sailed & will never come back. We have to get over it & read better series than the Plums, that should be easy. lol


message 19: by Katherine (last edited Aug 02, 2011 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katherine W. Carole wrote: "You are asking JE to write something she is no longer capable of. Unfortunately, she can longer write any kind of emotions. From 14 on it has just been slapstick. I'm grateful that there was not..."

Carol - you'll get no argument from me.


message 20: by Carole (new)

Carole Since I wrote about better series than Plum I thought I would mention a few...The Bones Series by Carolyn Haines is very Plumlike but set in the south & the Body Mover series is also set in the south but very good too if you want Plum type mysteries. I'm as far from a southerner as you can get & they are GOODREADS to this New Yorker.


Adrienne Testa Carole wrote: "Since I wrote about better series than Plum I thought I would mention a few...The Bones Series by Carolyn Haines is very Plumlike but set in the south & the Body Mover series is also set in the so..."

Carole: I am a Long Islander. I read the Charlotte Hughes Kate Holly series. To my surprise found Stephanie living in Georgia as a psychologist. I thought it was my imagination, until I saw the reviews on Amazon and several others said the same thing. I enjoyed her writing, a story and plot that went from page one to the end. Plenty of quirky characters and wit.Unfortunately Ms. Hughes has only written three books so far. I am hoping she puts out another one soon. I have also read the Ali Reynolds series, interesting, a bit different. Thank you for suggesting them. I will give them a try.


message 22: by Carole (new)

Carole I have never been a cozy or romance reader before Plum but I have given these 2 cozies a try & find that they make me even more disapointed with Plum. I now have something to compare the Plum to & the last 4 books do not measure up. I usually read pretty heavy duty mysteries & found a cozy series to be a nice change every once in a while.


Katherine W. Carole wrote: "I have never been a cozy or romance reader before Plum but I have given these 2 cozies a try & find that they make me even more disapointed with Plum. I now have something to compare the Plum to &..."

I agree the books do not measure up after book 12. It is like someone different is not writing the books now and they are not doing a very good job.

What are you reading that you can compare to the Plum books..I might be interested in reading them. :)


message 24: by Carole (new)

Carole The Body Mover series for sure. There are 3 guys interested in our heroine but there is no character hate like in the Plums. Good mysteries & the heroine has more spunk than Stephanie on her best day. Stephanie Bond is the author & almost all the reviews are excellent.


Katherine W. Carole wrote: "The Body Mover series for sure. There are 3 guys interested in our heroine but there is no character hate like in the Plums. Good mysteries & the heroine has more spunk than Stephanie on her best..."

Thank you, Carole. I've added these to my TBR list.


message 26: by Trish (last edited Aug 02, 2011 08:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trish Janet Evanovich has already slowly killed off our favorite characters they just don't know they are dead.

Steff used to be gritty, gusty, and determined with a Jersey girl attitude - now she's a mere ghost of herself - a whiny, sniveling, user.

The Steff that I met in One for The Money who commandeered Joe's truck; saved Lula, captured Morelli by locking him in a freezer truck compartment, and saved herself when Jimmy Alpha came to her apartment to kill her has disappeared.

Ranger used to be the supreme alpha male (remember he didn't share?) He was tall, dark, and handsome and with an air of mystery. Now he's sharing Steph? has quickie sex instead of making love all night. He let's Steph walk all over him.

The Ranger I fell in love with is long gone - I want the passionate Ranger from Twelve Sharp who would have to kill Morelli if Steph slept with him while Ranger was there, the one who said "one Ranger is all you'll ever need." I'm letting that one live in my memory -the current version as written by Evanovich is dead to me.

I'm even done mourning these once engaging characters. The only profit JE will ever receive for me in terms of royalties again is for purchasing the remaining titles (one through twelve) that I don't already own on my Kindle.


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Trish94509 wrote: "Janet Evanovich has already slowly killed off our favorite characters they just don't know they are dead.

Steff used to be gritty, gusty, and determined with a Jersey girl attitude - now she's a m..."


Good analysis of a pitiful situation.


Katherine W. Trish94509 wrote: "Janet Evanovich has already slowly killed off our favorite characters they just don't know they are dead.

Steff used to be gritty, gusty, and determined with a Jersey girl attitude - now she's a m..."


Sad but true.


Adrienne Testa Trish94509 wrote: "Janet Evanovich has already slowly killed off our favorite characters they just don't know they are dead.

Steff used to be gritty, gusty, and determined with a Jersey girl attitude - now she's a m..."


Trish: you said it all. What are your thoughts on someone else writing the Ranger story? Do you think a new writer could do him justice?


Adrienne Testa Rowan wrote: "According to the interview, Ranger is a complication that was added to heighten the sexual tension between Morelli and Steph. I think that sort of backfired, because it's all about the sexual tensi..."

Rowan: do you think a new writer could tell Ranger's story?


Adrienne Testa Carole wrote: "The Body Mover series for sure. There are 3 guys interested in our heroine but there is no character hate like in the Plums. Good mysteries & the heroine has more spunk than Stephanie on her best..."

Carole: going to get that one a try.... thank you for recommending it.


Katherine W. Adrienne wrote: "Rowan wrote: "According to the interview, Ranger is a complication that was added to heighten the sexual tension between Morelli and Steph. I think that sort of backfired, because it's all about th..."

Yes, as long as JE is not involved in the writing.


message 33: by Kelly (last edited Aug 03, 2011 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelly Trish94509 wrote: "Janet Evanovich has already slowly killed off our favorite characters they just don't know they are dead.

Steff used to be gritty, gusty, and determined with a Jersey girl attitude - now she's a m..."


Trish, I agree completely! I just keep telling myself that the series ended after Twelve Sharp and the remaining books are about totally different characters - not the ones we love from the first 12 books. I don't see myself giving JE any more of my money for her poorly written books and her lack of concern for her fan base. I would love to see another author pick up Ranger's story and write some new books for him (and even include Steph possibly) or even some of the devoted FF authors get a chance to write a book about our favorite man of mystery!


Kelly thanks to you all for good ideas of new books to add to my "to read' list!


Adrienne Testa Katherine wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "Rowan wrote: "According to the interview, Ranger is a complication that was added to heighten the sexual tension between Morelli and Steph. I think that sort of backfired, because ..."

Katherine: works for me since JE doesn't have the ability to write a complex character or a plot to her stores, she's out and a new writer brought in.


Donna Antaramian What??


Adrienne Testa Donna wrote: "What??"

need more information... to respond.


Donna Antaramian OMG .. Kill Ranger?


Adrienne Testa Donna wrote: "OMG .. Kill Ranger?"

Donna, How do you feel about how book 17 was written? Did you read what Janet Evanovich said about Ranger fans? She reduced Ranger's character to a mere complication for Stephanie and Morelli's sexual tension. Killing off Ranger in the Plum series was so another writer could tell his story properly. It doesn't appear by what Janet Evanovich is saying that she will ever tell Ranger's story. Allow Stephanie and Ranger to have a true relationship. Instead she has changed the direction of the series from a coming of age theme to a Seinfeld - like adventure series. I believe Ranger's story should be told. Stephanie and Ranger should have a chance at a relationship, if Evanovich has no intention of telling Ranger's story maybe another writer will. No worries, Ranger is still alive and well in Trenton, New Jersey.


Debbie Vaughan Adrienne wrote: "Seems to me Janet Evanovich is under utilizing the character Ranger in her books. Not since book 12 have we been able to learn about the mystery man. The story well written, telling some of Ranger'..."

Oh God, no! I've been rooting for Ranger since the get go!

Joe would have Stephanie barefoot and pregnant and that's just NOT our girl. Ranger, on the other hand would let her have her freedom while keeping her from harm.

Would I like to see more of Ranger? Hell yeah! A LOT more. I loved the "vordo" in this book. It gave the heroine a chance to sin with an excuse. I wish Janet would give our mystery man much more page time and am hoping he's the one who gets to share the tickets next year.

Hey, hope springs eternal!


Adrienne Testa Debbie wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "Seems to me Janet Evanovich is under utilizing the character Ranger in her books. Not since book 12 have we been able to learn about the mystery man. The story well written, tellin..."

Debbie: did you get a chance to read Evanovich's answers to the questions asked on goodreads? I would love for Evanovich to write Ranger's story. I am not sure she can write it and do justice to it. Book 18 is coming out this November 2011. Evanovich pushed back the Diesel book to continue the story from 17. She didn't want the readers to have to wait another year she stated on her website. I agree with your assessment of Morelli and Stephanie. I also agree that Ranger would allow Stephanie to do her thing. It goes with the acceptance of each other as they are. Morelli doesn't seem to be able to accept Stephanie being difference from the other burg woman now that they are adults.


Debbie Vaughan Adrienne wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "Seems to me Janet Evanovich is under utilizing the character Ranger in her books. Not since book 12 have we been able to learn about the mystery man. The story well ..."

No, I haven't had the chance. (been in edit mode) I'm thrilled I won't have to wait a year, though.
Well, I guess we will both have to see what Janet decides. I really wish she would get past her "closed door" policy. LOL I have written those scenes between Ranger and Stephanie over and over in my head. Maybe she'd like a ghost writer? She almost tempts me to do fanfic.


Donna Antaramian Adrienne wrote: "Donna wrote: "OMG .. Kill Ranger?"

Donna, How do you feel about how book 17 was written? Did you read what Janet Evanovich said about Ranger fans? She reduced Ranger's character to a mere complica..."


I enjoyed book 17 .. but do feel it is time to end the series .. and no I did not read what JE said about Ranger. Where was that?


Adrienne Testa Donna wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "Donna wrote: "OMG .. Kill Ranger?"

Donna, How do you feel about how book 17 was written? Did you read what Janet Evanovich said about Ranger fans? She reduced Ranger's character t..."


Donna, its on the goodread site. I believe under Ask Janet. She was suppose to answer the top ten most voted questions. Janet Evanovich made the statements that Ranger fans were too aggressive in letting her know what they wanted. The polls on her site are just for fun and she doesn't take them seriously. She went on to say that Ranger was only a complication for Morelli and Stephanie's sexual tension. I tried to keep her comments the way she replied. I hope I didn't skew them


message 45: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I love Ranger. That being said, I think Janet should have ended this series a long time ago. I mean seriously, how many cars can keep blowing up? Pick a guy. Grow up Stephanie. This is what's bothering me about this series. There is absolutely no growth in any of the characters. It's the same thing in every book with just a different mystery. Give me a break!


Adrienne Testa Pam wrote: "I love Ranger. That being said, I think Janet should have ended this series a long time ago. I mean seriously, how many cars can keep blowing up? Pick a guy. Grow up Stephanie. This is what's bothe..."

Pam: I agree. I believe after Evanovich made the statement of Ranger being a complication for Morelli and Stephanie's sexual tension it was time to kill off Ranger. I would rather see another writer tell Ranger's story. Allow those secrets to be told. After reading the last four books, I don't believe Evanovich is capable of doing Ranger's story justice. I believe there was a ghost writer involved in those first twelve books and we are now seeing Evanovich's true abilities in the past four books.


message 47: by Pamela (last edited Aug 14, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

Pamela Adrienne - I agree with you. I mean we're coming up to book No. 18. Enough! If she kills off Ranger, I'm throwing out my copies of books 1 thru 10. Her books read like soap operas that go nowhere. I feel like yelling at Stephanie and telling her to "shit or get off the pot" when it comes to her pathetic relationship with Morelli. I can't believe how I used to love and rave about these books when they first came out, and now since book 11 or 12, I feel like burning them in my fireplace. At least then it'll be put to good use. But Ranger, ahhhh Ranger. I always dreamt of my own personal Ranger. If there are men like Ranger out there, send them my way. :)


Adrienne Testa Pam wrote: "Adrienne - I agree with you. I mean we're coming up to book No. 18. Enough! If she kills off Ranger, I'm throwing out my copies of books 1 thru 10. Her books read like soap operas that go nowhere. ..."
Pam: everyone wants their own Ranger!! Hot, sexy, smart and experienced. I get lost with the Morelli and Stephanie relationship. I don't see it as anything more than friends with benefits. Yes, they have a history. Some would argue its a good history others would say its a bad history. I don't see what Evanovich's states as sexual tension between Morelli and Stephanie. I believe she did a dis service when she stated Ranger was only a complication for Morelli and Stephanie's sexual tension. I don't think Evanovich or any one in her camp could write Ranger's story. I don't think she possess the ability to write a good solid story and reveal Ranger's secrets as a relationship evolves between Ranger and Stephanie. There's such a drastic change in writing styles between books 1 - 12 and 13 - 17, it makes you wonder who actually wrote them.


message 49: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Adrienne - She basically threw Ranger under the bus. As for chemistry between Morelli and Stephanie? Perhaps in the first two books; after that - nada. I've sworn off her books. I can't waste my time reading them anymore.

Ranger is so off the charts hot and sexy. Who wants a relationship. I'll take friends with benefits with that guy anytime. Oh wait. He's fictitious. Damn!


Adrienne Testa Pam wrote: "Adrienne - She basically threw Ranger under the bus. As for chemistry between Morelli and Stephanie? Perhaps in the first two books; after that - nada. I've sworn off her books. I can't waste my ti..."

Pam, I guess you either love Ranger or you don't. I would prefer mystery man over Morelli any time. But, as you said he is fictitious. But, a gal can dream. I gave up after 17. No longer interested in her books or her disrepect of her fans. I did read Charlotte Hughes series about Kate Holly very similar to the Plum series. A lot of reviews state Stephanie Plum has moved to Atlanta and is living under the assumed name of Kate Holly.


« previous 1 3
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Smokin' Seventeen (other topics)