The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Ah...not sure how to start out except to say that I absolutely love reading and sometimes it gets me in trouble. I'm from New York and currently attending college. I actually heard of this group and became interested in joining it when I heard Petra X talking about the 'spammers hell' in the Goodreads Feedback group.

I thought it was hilariously awesome, so I checked this group out, and I like it!

By the way-I have no spare cash. I cannot spend more than $9 a week otherwise I'll run out(I'm told this is the norm for college students?). So it kind of leaves buying books out of the question. And where I am attending college, there is a very small library on campus with mainly books for research, and then a very, very small library in the very, very small town; with a very, very small selection of books.

I'm at a Bible college, so the 'type' of books I can read is rather limited, unfortunately. (The type of books I read is what got me into trouble in the first place back at home).

Anyway, that's all I can currently think to tell you without boring you to death, though I'm sure you at least fell asleep halfway through reading this. If not, congrats!!!!!!!!! :)

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Hi and welcome! I love the photo on your blog. Hope you like it here, it is a friendly group of people. Where do you go to school (if you don't mind the question)? I have a niece who's away at bible school.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Elim Bible Institute in a very small town in western New York. You read my blog? Thanks lots! I figure just relatives read it because they want to catch up on what's been going on in my life (which is usually nothing so I just rant/ramble), and an occasional friend.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Welcome to the group! I too attend a Bible college currently..I think my school might detest the books I read. I once had an Speech/Literature professor not know who Jack Kerouac was. I was appalled! :)

message 5: by Sara (last edited Sep 30, 2008 12:34PM) (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I don't know either.

I confess that in my school library I read all the 'appropriate' books that were even remotely interesting, and then there was nothing 'appropriate' (ex. without magic, swearing, etc.) to read. So I read Blood and Chocolate (my mom caught me with that one...it was scary) and a bunch of other vampire-y books like that.

I'm not proud of it. I just find it frustrating when I must limit myself. Here are the 'categories' that are acceptable:
(they tolerate Eragon)
-most westerns
-books dealing with Christians struggling with their faith
-books about the Amish
-most books written by Christians, which, I am sorry to say, are usually very boring (excluding Peretti-his books are really demonic now, too much dark fudge to really be Christian at all, very twisted-and also excluding C.S. Lewis and Tolkien from the 'boring' category, because their books are actually interesting)

And basically that is it. So it's very, very hard for me when I want to read say an Anne McCaffrey book (the unicorn girl and the Dragonriders of Pern series), Maximum Ride, the Midnighters- anything by Westerfeld, Ender's Game, etc., and I must sneak around. I love fantasy and science fiction, I cannot help it that most Christian authors I know write very boring books or books that are only good if you read them perhaps 5 times and no more.

And since I am doomed to reading the same books over and over again, I'd prefer them to at least be interesting enough to read multiple times.

See-here you have it. Ranting! Lori, you may delete it if you'd like, I'm sure you're probably thinking 'oh, brother'.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments one thing I thought of when you said that you are a broke college student(like me!) and can't buy books..is have you ever checked out paperbackswap.com.. i just started using it..it's nice because you can swap your books and get credit to get one that you want. It's nice because i have a bunch of books that i'll probably never read again so i'd rather get other books that i want until i can afford to buy books. just a thought :)

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I don't have any of my books with me, unfortunately-they're all 45 min. away at home (and I don't have a car and gas is expensive so my parents don't come over here often). But if I was to swap books, would they mind if my name was in them?

That's what I did with many of my books-put my name in them in case they got lost or one of my lovely brothers just randomly decided to steal them.

How does the swapping work? Is it a trustworthy site?

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8642 comments Mod
Hey Saved By Grave...
Im not going to delete your posts, silly. You are in good company here, we all have different life experiences and loves.... so Welcome! And dont worry!

Have you read the Left Behind series? I would assume those are appropriate for you, right? I loved them, read them as they came out and couldnt wait for each new one to be released. I only read the orignal series tho, when they started the prequel line, I just said 'enough is enough!"

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Are you referring to the kids' series or the adult ones? I think I've read a few of both, and watched two of the movies.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Okay, SBG ( do you mind if I abbreviate your name? I like it, but it's long ), you're making me want to sneak books to you. I understand what you're faced with, but I would have to rebel (at least a little). You seem very bright, don't let someone put you in a box.

Having said that - I really enjoyed the Father Tim series by Jan Karon. At Home in Mitford is the first one. I actually read these twice. Although I do agree with you (at least, in my experience so far) that most Christian fiction tends to be boring. It's a shame. It has the potential to be quite exciting, actually.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments nah i doubt that people would care if your name was in it..you could always message them to make sure. i just received a book with a name in it..doesn't really bother me.

i think it is a very trustworthy site. my experience so far has been great. basically you go on there and add your books that you are willing to swap..if someone accepts then you have to mail it by a certain date to them. once they receive it, they mark that they received it and you get credit for sending it. With that credit you are able to get a book that you want. I have a wish list with about 100 books on there and sometimes there is a waiting list for some of the books..but when one is available then they will ask you if you still want it and then the person will send it to you. you should take a look at it..see if it would work for you.

message 12: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8642 comments Mod
SBG, Ive read the adult ones. Not a big YA fan.....

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Thanks for the compliment, Laura (I seem very bright). :)

The 'Christian fiction tends to be so boring' is why I want so badly to finally publish my books! People like me would finally have 'the perfect book' we could read over and over again. They're science fiction and fantasy (not just real life fiction, which is what Christian writers usually stick to), they don't have any swearing, magic, or sex, but most of them have plenty of fighting and themes/symbolism and all that.

I do feel stuck in a box sometimes. I have tried writing and reading specifically Christian books but dang it, it just doesn't work.

message 14: by Sara (last edited Sep 30, 2008 01:00PM) (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Oooh, dang, Jamie.

Like I said, I have no money. Even like 44 cents (they have a dollar sign key why not a cents one??????) for a stamp is now like a fortune to me.

It's so weird. It's like...why'd I ever want to waste my money on a stinking video game? Compared to things I actually need now, video games and such seem so pointless and worth...nothing, certainly not my money.

Okay...basically I get $40 a month from my parents, coming out of an amount that is really supposed to be used to pay the loan. I spend around $8.50 a week for snacks and other stuff, the rest I try to save in case there's an emergency, or for tithe. Or in case I end up spending more than $8.50 another week.

That's pretty much all I got. (Scary, huh?)

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Publish away! The world could use more books like that (and I know teens could, speaking for my own)! On one of my other book groups here at GR, Chicks on Lit, we had a chat yesterday with the author of a book we just read called The Wednesday Sisters. I told the author, Meg Waite Clayton, that I've always wanted to be a writer, since I was little. She really encouraged me to just write and posted some helpful links you might enjoy:

http://megwaiteclayton.com/1stbooks/

http://megwaiteclayton.com/writers.shtml

And here's the link to our transcript from our chat with her. It was so interesting!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

Hope this inspires you to "just write"!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) ...and if I may say, Ken is one of our most fun members. He tells the best stories.

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments :)

On another note-Laura, I tried sending you a message but the stupid (I can say that in here, right?) captcha thing wouldn't work. I don't know if you set it or I did. I'm sure I put everything in correctly but then it switched to just capital letters and I put those in correctly and it still wouldn't send.

Sometimes I hate technology. It's supposed to be helpful, not annoyingly glitchy.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Oh-I like stories.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Well feel free to add me as a friend. Then you can send me messages without having to type anything in first.

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Thanks. :)

I sent you a friend request. :)

And now I must bid you all adieu, for supper calls. Fare thee well (shrek) and

parting is such sweet sorrow (Romeo & Juliet)!

Wow I am a nut...

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Ken, you are a trip!

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Erm-I guess we posted at the same time, Leppaluoto. I'm confused...are you serious? If you're serious, why is Laura saying you're a trip? If you're not serious...

well, me and jokes=confused. Jokes confuse me. I have a wonderful father who loves joking around but being perfectly serious at the same time so you don't know he's joking. But I have to assume he isn't, usually, because there is the occasion he isn't joking and then he will get very mad that I thought he was.

Anyway...

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Ken is a trip, because he is so...well...Ken! I like him, because he is who he is and doesn't mind saying so. So that's why I said he's a trip.

I was raised by an open-minded mom and a pretty open-minded dad. My mom always said you don't have to agree with everyone, but you always have to respect their right to be different. I think here on TNBBC, people are really good at doing that. I think that's why this place "works" so well. And Lori is a great facilitator of all that as well.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) That's so funny Ken - she reminds me of me too!

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I was raised by...um...well, I guess I'd just call them Christians. And technically I am still under their influence until I reach the wonderful age of 21.

I'm not sure if they or I are really open-minded. I think I'm the type of person who will listen to what people have to say and everything and try not to push it ('religion') on them, but still disagree with them. Like, hate the sin and love the sinner thing. A lot of people think that if you hate the sin or don't like what a person is doing then you hate them. Not true. Maybe that's what gives so many Christians a bad image, is because they've forgotten you are supposed to hate the sin and love the sinner, not hate the sinner.

That's such a big issue now...that's maybe why I try not to 'rebel' and read other books, because I want to show that I'm different and not the same as 'the world', try not to conform. Christians are supposed to be the light and all that and love people like God does but instead so many of us are swearing like everyone and dissing people and hating gays and lesbians and thinking of those who have abortions as evil when it's ridiculous because they're not evil at all and they're still God's but just lost.
I mean, I believe what they're doing is wrong but I certainly don't hate them.

I wish I was some famous intellectual preacher person so that everyone would listen to me and so I could say what I've said and they wouldn't ignore me and say I know nothing about the Bible and...fudge. I'm preaching.

Okay...books books books books love love love love love......... <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Happiness.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the Group Saved by Grace.

Laura is right. Ken is great/trip! This is a good group with lots of open-minded brilliant individuals! Just love this group.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Well, that's part of your college / young adult experience, Saved. It's learning about who you are and exploring who you are and the world around you.

Exciting times! And I think you've found a great group of people here to help you along. Just stick your hand up and say what you need & someone's sure to come along and give it to you.

:)

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Thanks everyone. :)
You are all so nice. Just like the people at my college. I must admit it is a nice change from high school.

message 29: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Saved By Grace
I too have an incredible desire to ship a bunch of books to you.
Someone above recommended the Mitford series which is really good (I've read a few myself)
They are Christian with a sense of humor.

Ken, and a lot of others on this site, are great fun and wonderful people. You will probably find yourself, like I do, coming back here frequently to check your favorite threads and chit chat.

Welcome to the club!!
I think you will become addicted just like the rest of us :)

message 30: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Saved By Grace,
Glad you are here. I hope we give you some good things to read and not just the forbidden stuff...lol

message 31: by Sara (new)

Thanks so much for your welcomes, everyone. :)

Laura and Kellie-I'll see if the library has those Mitford books.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Do you mind reporting back? I'm curious if they do. This is a hugely popular series, and I think it's definitely a crossover (meaning they appeal to religious and non-religious people). I think there are nine books in the series, so they should keep you busy for awhile.

Here is the link to Jan Karon's webpage about the books, if you're curious:

http://www.mitfordbooks.com/

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments All right. I am officially depressed. Out of this list of fairly common books (also most of my to-read list, I never have any on currently reading because it would only be like that for two hours or so):

Peter Pan
Peter and the Starcatchers
Snakehead
Arkangel
Silverwing
Sunwing
Firewing
Brisingr
Double Helix
The Final Warning (I want to read it just to torture myself and tear my hair out and mourn the fudge James Patterson turned this series into)
The Bourne Ultimatum (watched the movie, know it is so much different from the books already because Marie is dead)
Secret Speakers (coming out in 2009 but still)
Mitford

...the school library only had ONE Mitford book which I could not even find so it must have been out, and a Bourne movie. That is it. It makes me sad. The public library is just as small, which doesn't give me much hope. Note: I used their catalog thing, so it was official, they had none of the other books.

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments The local library did have some of the books I was looking for. :)
It's in the Pioneer Library System/a member library of the OWWL. However you say it. Thrift stores...there was an antique store I visited and they had a few books but they all looked like the type of books I don't usually enjoy reading.

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I was surprised that most of them were in the juvenile section. I was rather embarrassed and then I realized I was being an idiot by being embarrassed. If I think a book looks interesting and a ton of older goodreaders have read those recently published 'juvenile' books as well, why not me?

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I've heard a lot about the Book Thief-is it REALLY about a person who steals books or something?

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Isn't Death supposed to be the narrator of that book, Ken? I haven't read that one yet either, though I think it should be on my TBR.

message 38: by Laura (last edited Oct 01, 2008 05:05PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Sounds like a good book for me to try then!

It also sounds like it might be right up your alley, Saved.

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I added it to my 'to-read' shelf.

message 40: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I've finished three of the five books I borrowed from the library today. I love books. The two Mitford books are the ones I have left to read.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 382 comments Warmest greetings, Saved By Grace!

I'm a book addict and actually started the bulk of my reading in contemporary Christian authors. I'll see if I can dig up some recommendations for you.

Off the top of my head...

Frank Peretti - whom you've already mentioned

Ted Dekker - Similar writing style to Frank. They actually co-authored House. My favorite book by Ted is Three. Suspensful with great plot twists.

Colleen Colbe - Abomination is a crime-mystery book. I simply could not put it down. I haven't read any of her other books, but I'm guessing they're also suspensful.

Dee Henderson - Danger in the Shadows is the first book in the O'Malley series which is about a family of orphans who adopt each other and take on the last name O'Malley. It's about each sibling's finding the Lord with some mystery and romance thrown in. She also wrote another series, but I haven't read it.

Robert Liparulo (sp?) - Comes a Horseman is a decent thriller. Not my favorite, but worth the read if you can get a copy from the library. He's put out two other books which I have yet to read.

John B. Olson - Shade - I actually just picked up this book at the store this evening because it looked so good. I think it's going to be a fantastic thriller!

Here are a few other books I recently found out about. There on my list to eventually purchase and read...

Isolation: A Novel by Travis Thrasher - Suspense Fiction

Unpretty: A Novel of Suspense by Sharon Carter Rogers - Suspense Fiction

The Other Side of Darkness by Melody Carlson - Contemporary Fiction

Stepping Into Sunlight by Sharon Hinck - Contemporary Fiction

Demon by Tosca Lee - Contemporary Fiction

Field of Blood by Eric Wilson - Suspense Fiction

That's all I can think of for now. I'll try to post others as I think of them.

message 42: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Thank you for the recommendations.

I have read the O'Malley books. I've read Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed authored/co-authored by Ted Dekker and those were actually pretty good.

Thrillers just aren't really my type of book. And as I said, Frank Peretti's books have started getting really creepy. I don't even consider them Christian anymore.

I guess I try not to be picky but really I am because I hate books that creep me out or make me want to read in the afternoon/morning when there is plenty of light. I like science fiction and fantasy because it isn't usually so dark and the worlds people create are so fascinating-unfortunately, there aren't really that many great Christian fantasy/science fiction writers. Which is why I'd really like to become one. :)

message 43: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1046 comments Hi,

My name is Randi. I am so glad I found this place. I've been very obsessed with GR, which is both good and bad. Bad because I love it. I am totally addicted to GR. Good because it gives me some fantastic new books to read.

Randi

message 44: by Sara (new)

Hi! I think I've met you/'seen' you in a couple other groups...

message 45: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1046 comments I'm sorry, but I think I just introduced myself on Newbie's Corner. I am definitely not a newcomer, and probably am in the old Introduce Yourselves thread

message 46: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments No, I mean I think I've seen you around other groups? Oh wait, you're in Brent's group! The Ye Olde Story Guild!!!!!!!!! :)

message 47: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments I'm in it too. I just don't post there much, because there doesn't seem to be much to do, and the not posting makes me feel guilty because he asked us to stick around and post lots, so I back off even more because it just gets awkward. Like "where ya been?" type of thing.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) What's going on with your story, Saved? The one your English professor said should be published?

message 49: by Mummy (new)

Mummy (PetraX) Hi there SBGrace
Help me out a bit please. I am just starting a Christian section in my bookshop. Its mainly for Black girls - I live in the Caribbean. So far I have bought books from the Urban Christian series and a couple of other authors. I thought that Christian books had to have little sex or violence and some kind of spiritually-orientated base or story and not have any kind of magic in them. But reading you, it seems more that the subject matter is less important than it is actually written by a Christian. I would appreciate some help please.

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 649 comments Well, honestly, I am not entirely sure. In my opinion, yes, it's usually Christian if written by a Christian but Frank Peretti would be considered Christian, no? And as I said, I don't really think of him as Christian; or at least his books.

So yeah-to me it would be written by a Christian and not even necessarily about God but with morals to it, or at least 'cleanly' written. Well...Tolkien was a Christian and so was C.S. Lewis. They had magic in their books and so much other stuff, and yet it was good/clean.

My story...I've written nine-or maybe it's ten now, but two of them are fanfiction so they cannot be published.
The one that my teacher read is a story inspired by the Chronicles of Riddick. It's basically half of the movie with a little girl he must take care of, and different names for everyone. At least, that was how it started. Then I wrote a book after that, and another book, so it is a trilogy. It's science fiction/fantasy and...well...the best way is to read it. :)

It's called 'Rinec and the Shadow Girl' and I think there are six chapters, second page of writings about midway down. I'm thinking of deleting it and then putting it on goodreads again because I made a lot of improvements to it before I gave it to my teacher.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

At Home in Mitford (other topics)
Stepping Into Sunlight (other topics)
House (other topics)
Unpretty (other topics)
Isolation (other topics)
More...