Constant Reader discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Constant Reader > What I'm Reading - August

Comments (showing 401-422 of 422) (422 new)    post a comment »
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 401: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) Sorry to interrupt the talk of detective/ mystery books..but...
Squeeeeeeee! I discovered H.P. Lovecraft today!

Let's face it, this was always going to happen one day. I can't imagine why it took me so long. A match made in heaven! Or R'lyeh or something ;)

Seriously though, give The Shadow Over Innsmouth a read. It's only 50 pages or so, not gory, and a perfect campfire story in every way. But you may never look at a fish the same way ever again...

message 402: by Marjorie (last edited Aug 31, 2011 05:42AM) (new)

Marjorie Martin | 656 comments Lobstergirl said, "Mysteries! I've read about 5 Donna Leon and have pretty much given up. Now they all read the same to me....boring. I attempted the first Maisie Dobbs, didn't like it, and didn't finish. I'm making my way through Nevada Barr,..."

Have you read any James Sallis (Long-Legged Fly)and/or Charles Willeford (Miami Blues)? Very good.

Marge

message 403: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Martin | 656 comments Ruby said, " I'm onto less arduous territory with Dead Until Dark. Yes - I am actually reading a Sookie Book..."

Did you enjoy it? I've always avoided paranormal mysteries, as it seems like a cop-out to have the sleuth able to solve it using their mind-reading or other supernatural abilities.

Marge

message 404: by Marjorie (last edited Aug 31, 2011 06:36AM) (new)

Marjorie Martin | 656 comments I just put aside my book club reading and devoured a fascinating book, JOHN WAYNE GACY; DEFENDING A MONSTER by Sam Amirante. The book makes you wonder if we'll ever be able to determine for certain whether such a person, deemed "crazy," should be considered responsible for his/her actions. Gacy was a good father, a well known and well liked community figure, but killed some 33 young men. Well written page-turner by the man who vigorously defended him.

Marge

message 405: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen | 1288 comments Ack! Just what I need -- more mystery series to explore! Thanks for all the suggestions. I enjoy E. George (despite, not because, of the angst-ridden central characters). I don't think I'll read more of Maisie Dobbs, but plan to continue with Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge (and the occasional Joe Sandilands, by Barbara Cleverly) for that time period.

I saw part of one Zen episode and couldn't get into it, but didn't watch from the beginning, which doesn't help a mystery... :)

message 406: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) Marjorie wrote: "Ruby said, " I'm onto less arduous territory with Dead Until Dark. Yes - I am actually reading a Sookie Book..."

Did you enjoy it? I've always avoided paranormal mysteries, as it seems like a c..."

I wouldn't ever have thought of True Blood/ Sookie Stackhouse as being paranormal mystery. Having seen the series, and then looking at the book synopses, I'd say they fit more under the horror/romance category. I dislike categories, but these books don't exactly break any moulds!

So far the book is fine. It does what it says on the box. Read it by the pool or something, just don't expect anything too deep & meaningful. I don't expect to be jotting down any profound quotes!

message 407: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) Marjorie: The John Wayne Gacy: Defending a Monster one sounds interesting. Might have to keep an eye out for that.

message 408: by Yulia (new)

Yulia | 1626 comments Ruby wrote: "Marjorie: The John Wayne Gacy: Defending a Monster one sounds interesting. Might have to keep an eye out for that."

I agree, it does sound fascinating and I look forward to checking it out. I'm fascinated by the stories of real-life serial killers.

message 409: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Marjorie wrote: "Lobstergirl said, "Mysteries! I've read about 5 Donna Leon and have pretty much given up. Now they all read the same to me....boring. I attempted the first Maisie Dobbs, didn't like it, and didn't ..."

No Marge, I have not heard of them.

message 410: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Still reading Augie March, and I'm starting The Theory of the Leisure Class.

message 411: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 432 comments Lobstergirl, I love Theory of the Leisure Class!

message 412: by Carol (new)

Carol | 7028 comments I received my copy ofThe Collected Stories of Eudora Welty. It is in pristine condition and was only $.99 from a seller on Amazon. I had a hard time tracking it down.

message 413: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 1504 comments Kitty wrote: "I received my copy ofThe Collected Stories of Eudora Welty. It is in pristine condition and was only $.99 from a seller on Amazon. I had a hard time tracking it down."

You will be glad you did, I'm sure and what a marvelous bargain.

message 414: by Ruby (last edited Sep 01, 2011 12:35AM) (new)

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) Changing the subject, ever so slightly...

My copy of The Menstruating Mall just arrived. I'll probably read it tonight (it's only short) and from reading chapter one, I can see I'll either love it or hate it. It clearly depends upon just how pretentious it turns out to be. I have a feeling the author's trying to make a point a point about consumerism, by beating me over the head with their (none too cheap) book. But we'll see..

message 415: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 1096 comments I never fail to be amazed by the range of books we read!
There is always new something that moves me, and/or something that moves onto my tbr list and/or something that moves off it and something that finally gets started.
Almost finished Book 1 of A Game of Thrones with less than 100 pages to go and as Yulia said elsewhere it is a great tale. I'm hooked in for the set! SPOILER....I want to know what the threat from the north really is, how Ned is rescued, and how Arya fairs off on her own, how Dany gets her khal onto a boat and what role the Dotharki will have in bringing the warring houses together to face the as yet unforseen peril from the north - Fantasy writing that grips. Has anyone seen the TV series to compare it to the books?

message 416: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) "I never fail to be amazed by the range of books we read!"

Well, The Menstruating Mall is possibly one of the more unusual things even I have read. I'm halfway through and torn between hating it, and thinking, "Whatever. Good for you, dude!".

I found it listed under "Bizarro Fiction" - I can't stand that term, and I'm pretty sure it's not used outside of the US. It has a punk sensibility, sarcastic and yet taking itself a bit too seriously at the same time. Attacking conformity, whilst appearing to conform to all the rules of punk. The pictures are puerile schoolboy doodles which are an utter waste of time, and unrelated to the story - but since the author freely admits that, and - Hey! it's punk! - I think I'm okay with that. Then again, he appears to worship the "illustrator" as an icon of punk, which in itself is a little try-hard. It's in huge font, and double spaced, so it's probably only about 35 pages long in all reality. I am keeping an open mind until the end..

message 417: by Malabaricus (last edited Sep 01, 2011 08:39AM) (new)

Malabaricus | 13 comments Sherry wrote: "All your talk about Paris reminded me to tell you that I'm reading the delightful My Life in France by Julia Child. I was experimenting with downloading ebooks from the library to my iP..."

Thanks for the recommendation. Its going on my to read list right away.
I am just startingLetters To A Young Architectby Christopher Benninger and in the middle of by Shobha Dongre's Mumbai's Dabbawala

message 418: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) Sheila wrote: "I never fail to be amazed by the range of books we read!
There is always new something that moves me, and/or something that moves onto my tbr list and/or something that moves off it and something ..."

Hey Sheila - I am dying to read that myself. I'm glad to hear that so deep into such a long book, you're still hooked & wanting to continue with the whole series. I've been putting off starting it, because I suspect it's going to become a seriously long-term commitment! I've been riveted to the tv series, so I hope it doesn't spoil the books for me (or vice versa). I'd also be keen to know if anyone has tried both books & tv series.

message 419: by Cateline (new)

Cateline Ruby wrote: I found it listed under "Bizarro Fiction" - I can't stand that term, and I'm pretty sure it's not used outside of the US. It has a punk sensibility, sarcastic and yet taking itself a bit too seriously at the same time. ..."

As in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_... I suppose. /wild/

message 420: by Rusty (new)

Rusty | 94 comments Began Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel August 20 so I'm adding a comment here now. This is a fun read as one learns who Galileo was and how his work progress throughout his life. And the wonderful letters from his daughter to whom he was so attached add so much.

message 421: by Lyn (last edited Sep 01, 2011 01:56PM) (new)

Lyn | 689 comments The Theory of the Leisure Class looks interesting; am going to put that on my to-read list.

I have not been having great luck with books lately. I read The City & the City for a local book club and could not believe how bad I found it. Devoid of any characters one would care about, with a ridiculously detailed fantasy political-bureaucracy where two towns exist separately in the exact same space (and the book never answers the question why). My bookclub folks were a bit shocked when I described it as fodder for adolescent pseudo-intellectuals. It did not help that the author spelled "all right" as "alright" many times, a pet peeve of mine even though I realize that it has been mispelled so many times over time that it is now in some dictionaries as either way.

Am now reading Freedom, am about 25% through it. It's readable enough, but I'm finding myself asking why I should care about these characters.

Can't wait to read that next book that really absorbs me...

message 422: by Yulia (new)

Yulia | 1626 comments Lyn wrote: "My bookclub folks were a bit shocked when I described it as fodder for adolescent pseudo-intellectuals.

I love that!

I ought to begin rereading Brian Morton's works in preparation for the CR convention, but have been completely engrossed in the book Marge recommended, John Wayne Gacy: Defending a Monster. I just wish the writer who helped the attorney/judge didn't use so many cliches.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 next »
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

For the Relief of Unbearable Urges (other topics)
The Seven Dials Mystery (other topics)
Death on the Nile (other topics)
The Accidental Masterpiece: On the Art of Life and Vice Versa (other topics)
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Susan Choi (other topics)
Joyce Carol Oates (other topics)
John Banville (other topics)
Kristin Kimball (other topics)
Rose Tremain (other topics)
More...