Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

64 views
Spectacular Series > A Lady's Lesson in Scandal

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab)

Let the chatting commence!


message 2: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments I finished it last night and I really enjoyed it!! I really liked the fact that Nell wasn't a spoiled aristocrat. She really had to fend for herself living in the slums and life wasn't easy on her. I didn't care for Simon too much b/c I can't really stand heros who marry for money. I have many more thoughts but I will wait until most of you have read this book.


message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I'm so looking forward to it.

b/c I can't really stand heros who marry for money.

In general, I'd agree with this assessment but in historicals most of the heroes that marry for money do it because they have estates to support. I'm big on 'doing one's duty' so I never mind if that's the hero's motivation for marrying an heiress.



message 4: by Kay (new)

Kay (CaliKay) | 1216 comments Yeah, I know most HRs it's very common to have heroes marry for money. But I just like the men more who actually had other means that made them successful. It just makes them so much stronger and more attractive to me.


message 5: by Xia (new)

Xia (XiaT) | 24 comments I loved this book! It's one of my favorites.


message 6: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I am excited to read it because it reminds me a bit of the Anastasia story (the cartoon). He's a scoundrel who finds a way to make money by convincing her she's a Lady and teaches her... it sounds romantic. But then I love the scoundrels, even those who marry for love, because it makes them truly falling in love so much sweeter.


message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. In historicals, I definitely prefer commoners who make their own fortune (that's why I love Zachary from 'Where Dreams Begin.) But again, if the guy had a estate to maintain and no money, it make sense that he would marry for money and I don't count that against him.


Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I have one more book to read, then I'm starting this one. Quite excited! I need to rotate some more HR back in.


message 9: by Leea (new)

Leea Plan on starting this later today... can't wait!


Aroma with Love  | 123 comments Couldnt find a copy yet!


message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmcg) | 4 comments I'm about halfway through it already! So far it has been an entertaining read. I've really enjoyed the author's other books, so I can't imagine being disappointed with this one.


message 12: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (DES03) | 30 comments I just finished reading this book and I really enjoyed it!

Like Kay, I don't particularly like it when a hero chooses to marry a woman soley for her money, but I think D.G. is right it was the 'norm' in this period of time. I actually liked Simon's character...yes he had flaws but he hadn't tried to hide the fact that he needed/wanted the money from her inheritance. The only thing I could hold against him (very lightly mind you) is his discussion with the lawyer re: annulment of their marriage if they were unable to prove their claim to who she was....I blame the lawyer for this!!! :)

As to the secondary characters hmmm I didn't like Katherine, but I guess we aren't really supposed to!


Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Katherine is the twin, right?


message 14: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (DES03) | 30 comments Yes she was...I just realized I might have posted a spoiler...sorry if I did I will be more careful next time.


message 15: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 88 comments Hey all. so I started this last night im only bout 2-3 chapters in, so far so good....

Poor Nell I hate her step brother.. what an ass!!


message 16: by Tina "coffee and books" (last edited Aug 09, 2011 01:09PM) (new)

Tina "coffee and books" (tinar1121) I really enjoyed this book. It's probably not my normal read. But, very good. I liked Simon, A LOT. I felt like he was honest through everything. Even with the conversation with the attorney I felt like he wasn't necessarily in the wrong. He let Nell know from day 1 that he needed and wanted her for money. If I were in her shoes, I would be prepared that if the scheme didn't go through he wouldn't stay. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they fell in love and I'm glad they ended up together.

I think the character I disliked the most is the attorney. He seemed even more judgemental and snobbish than anyone else in the book.


message 17: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I didn't like the attorney either.

And I agree, I thought that Nell over reacted too. I mean, up until the wedding she was stashing clothes so that she'd have an out too.


message 18: by Tina "coffee and books" (last edited Aug 09, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

Tina "coffee and books" (tinar1121) Exactly, Wendy F. She was making provisions the whole time, but since he was doing it, it was wrong. I would have felt differently about the whole situation if either of them would have professed their love at that point. But, they were both still playing the game.


message 19: by Kesha (new)

Kesha | 23 comments I agree with your points Tina and Wendy, but in Nell's defense...she was actually half in love with him and she had just begun to allow herself to trust him. She was about to trust him completely by taking him with her to see Hannah and allowing him to see exactly how she lived before she met him. As she is about to share this with him, she overhears the lawyer and is shocked. I think she was actually angry with herself for misjudging Simon and the only way she could see of salvaging some of her pride was to take that anger out on Simon.


message 20: by Kesha (new)

Kesha | 23 comments Kay wrote: "I finished it last night and I really enjoyed it!! I really liked the fact that Nell wasn't a spoiled aristocrat. She really had to fend for herself living in the slums and life wasn't easy on her...."

I don't like guys who marry for money either, but Simon was always honest with Nell about his reasons for proposing marriage. He didn't just want the money, he wanted to actually give Nell her birthright. Towards the end he even told her that it didn't matter if they got the inheritence, he wasn't going to leave her and gave her the choice to find her happiness elsewhere if that's what she wanted


message 21: by Tina "coffee and books" (last edited Aug 09, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Tina "coffee and books" (tinar1121) You're 100% right, Kesha. At the point that she overheard him talking to the attorney he was also half in love with her and had no intentions to annul the marriage. The problem is neither party had yet to trust the other to be honest about their feelings. Admittedly, Nell was really close to doing it.


message 22: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Ugh, let's try posting this for the third time!

Nevermind... after typing it over and over it's just not in me anymore. Darn Goodreads!


Aroma with Love  | 123 comments I disagree with many of you that this is a good read! Im about 12 pages short of reaching half the book and its been a struggles to get interested in the story! Im disappointed in this months read! Hoping for better in upcoming months......


message 24: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) That's too bad. I suppose we can't all like the same books.

Here's to hoping you like next months.


Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I'm liking the book okay so far, but I put it down for a while. I can't say I'm being wowed by it.


message 26: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (DES03) | 30 comments Tina "reading mommy" wrote: "Exactly, Wendy F. She was making provisions the whole time, but since he was doing it, it was wrong. I would have felt differently about the whole situation if either of them would have professed..."

I think both Simon and Nell had trust issues. In Nell's case she knew what it was like to struggle, beg for money and live below the poverty line. She simply couldn't believe the changes in her life were for real and was simply taking safety measures to ensure she would never again be forced to live in the manner she grew up in. I can understand someone doing this, especially with the life experiences she had coped with. In Simon's case I think he was protecting himself from being hurt. Apart from Nell's birth mother Simon had received little affection and love in his life he had a history of people abandoning him. Nell was protecting herself from poverty Simon was protecting himself from being abandoned and hurt again.


message 27: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I agree Dianne, and thats what I was going to say when Goodreads was messing up.

They were both taking protective measures. However, unlike Nell's, Simon couldn't just discreetly put the candlesticks back. When he was with his lawyer he made it clear that the annullment was not going to happen. The only difference was that Nell overheard. What could have been an opportunity to show Simon that she could be as forgiving as he was (how many times did she steal or threaten him and he just forgave her), and she didn't. It left me feeling angry at her. And disappointed.


message 28: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 88 comments Aroma with Love wrote: "Couldnt find a copy yet!"

have u found it yet??


message 29: by Tara (new)

Tara (CooperGirl) | 6 comments Hi, I just joined the group today. Got a copy of the book and started it.


Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Welcome. :)


message 31: by Kesha (new)

Kesha | 23 comments Welcome to the group Tara!

Wendy I agree that Simon was definitely more forgiving. I found myself any with Nell through most of the first half of the book. I understand that she had to face a lot of hardships in life, but her contempt for the women of nobility bordered on a case of sour grapes at times. Did anyone else feel the same?


message 32: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Thats exciting Tara! I'm so glad you're joining in on the dicussion. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.


message 33: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I agree, and felt that way. At least I could kind of understand it if she's kneeling in the mud and they are disdainfully throwing coins at her. Really, it was only with Simon that her sour grapes really started to get to me, because he was almost always kind to her.


Aroma with Love  | 123 comments SANDRA wrote: "Aroma with Love wrote: "Couldnt find a copy yet!"

have u found it yet??"


Yes, Sandra. Thanks for asking.

Welcome Tara!


message 35: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 88 comments ok that's great..I'm loving the book. it not your typical historical romance but it makes me put my self in it regardless.. :)


Aroma with Love  | 123 comments Passed half the book, it sparked an interest in me at the billiards table scene and it oivked up the pace of the plot with the marraige .... I stopped at the morning after the marraige!


message 37: by Laraine (new)

Laraine (Lala26) | 39 comments Wendy F wrote: "I agree, and felt that way. At least I could kind of understand it if she's kneeling in the mud and they are disdainfully throwing coins at her. Really, it was only with Simon that her sour grape..."

I completely agree. I was left feeling disgruntled most of the time because Nell's thoughts and feelings was this constant back and forth all through out the whole book. Love Simon though :p


message 38: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) LOL, why is it that the men are always the silver lining?


message 39: by Laraine (new)

Laraine (Lala26) | 39 comments Hmm... Because if the story or the characters do not appeal, it's always good to have an eye candy to hold our attention haha... Kidding...
I liked the premise of this book as it delved deeper into the differences in social classes of that era, but maybe it did too good a job hence Nell's mistrusting personality. I get why she is the way she is but it was still frustrating.


message 40: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 88 comments It was frustrating but I can understand y she would be like that.. I think if I was born in her situation I'd be the same way..


Aroma with Love  | 123 comments I agree with you Sandra! Living most of her life in the Green! And not even being sure that she's the real twin! To me her mistrust was 90% realistic!

Iv efinished the book earlier today! I Gave it a two star rating! Because the story didnt hook me for the first half of the book!


Aroma with Love  | 123 comments Here are the parts i liked in the book......



Wasn’t anybody in the world without a heart and a worry to burden it.

one took one’s happiness long before the ending, because the ending never came prettily or well. 

Love didn’t have to be pure or blameless or free of anger to be true  You could blame somebody and love her anyway


Tina "coffee and books" (tinar1121) Great quotes, Aroma with Love!


message 44: by SANDRA (new)

SANDRA (smilleysandy) | 88 comments Ya they r! lol I actually gave it 4 stars it was a good change a good way to write a romantic story. it was very unique in my opinion.. :)


message 45: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I'm at the part where Nell overhears them talking about getting the marriage annulled. I agree with Kesha that I found myself really annoyed with Nell in the beginning of the book. It seems her anger and bitterness was a little unrelenting. And her looking down on people in service seemed not quite right. That part of the book dragged a little bit. On the other hand I really like the fact that it is different and shows the difference in classes. And I loved the billiard room scene! I loved the language that the author uses during the love scenes. Very evocative.


message 46: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I agree with you completely! I didn't even think to mention that.

I also couldn't stand how much desdain she had for people in Service. It was like, she was mad at Simon for treating them poorly but she treated them almost worse.


message 47: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Wendy F wrote: "I agree with you completely! I didn't even think to mention that.

I also couldn't stand how much desdain she had for people in Service. It was like, she was mad at Simon for treating them poorl..."

I wonder how historically accurate that is. To my understanding, getting into service was a way out, it elevated your status to a certain extent. Maybe the disdain was actually an expression of jealousy. It just seems to me that all of that just slowed the story down.


message 48: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I think it was probably pretty accurate. I would imagine it's because they see it as 'selling out' in a sense.

It's still dumb, hahaha. Why are you going to look down on someone for wanting better.


message 49: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Finished the book today sitting at Barnes and Noble reading it for free on my Nook. I give it 4 stars though it did have some problems for me. I stayed annoyed with Nell but I loved Simon. I did like the ending where he finally gets her to confront her distrust of him. I really liked the author's style of writing and her use of words. I will definitely read more by her. I had never heard of her before this book.


Aroma with Love  | 123 comments @ Leslie, how do you manage to read it for free?


« previous 1
back to top

unread topics | mark unread