College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > last book you bought?

Comments (showing 401-450 of 1,293) (1293 new)    post a comment »

message 401: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Apr 21, 2009 12:11PM) (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Just got back from the book sale! Got 21 books for 12 dollars!! :) All books I wanted and that were on my tbr list!! yay!

I got:

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky
We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
a 1947 edition of Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
Prodigal Summer A Novel by Barbara Kingsolver
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
The Pact A Love Story by Jodi Picoult
Emmaby Jane Austen
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
The Color of Water A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life by Laurie Notaro
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

and for my stepdad: Sandy Koufax A Lefty's Legacy
& for my boyfriend: The Handy Sports Answer Book

message 402: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments I want to read We Were the Mulvaneys so badly!!

And also, Girl with a Pearl Earring is really good. :)

message 403: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3004 comments Mod
WOW, Jamie! Congrats on the good buys!

message 404: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments Wow I need to find a book sale like that!!

message 405: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 1699 comments Jamie, that list is amazing. I am proud of you for finding them all haha.

Also, am I the only one who HATES Joyce Carol Oates?

message 406: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) Tahleen wrote: "Jamie, that list is amazing. I am proud of you for finding them all haha.

Also, am I the only one who HATES Joyce Carol Oates?"

No you are not. I don't hate her but I didn't love We Were The Mulvaneys. I did enjoy Freaky Green Eyes though and Foxfire.

message 407: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 1699 comments I had to read an essay she wrote and she basically shit all over Henry David Thoreau. I was like, come on, really? You wrote a ton of stuff but that doesn't mean you're amazing, or have the right to disrespect Thoreau.

message 408: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I'm not a huge fan of Oates, BUT I did like We Were the Mulvaneys. I've tried to read Blonde and I really didn't like it and I had to read one of her short stories that was just weird weird weird

message 409: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 71 comments Tami wrote: "I am so proud. I went to the store to get a copy of Slaughter House Five and guess what! I left with only that book!

Not as much fun as buying out half the stock, but much better on the checkbook!"

Congrats! =D

I went to the bookstore to pick up something for my brother yesterday and found out that Brian Ruckley's Bloodheir was out in mass bound paperback so I ended up walking out of the bookstore with that book xD

message 410: by Allison (new)

Allison | 79 comments i just placed an order with betterworldbooks- which is my new favorite store, every. i got:
lucky- alice seabold
the no.1 ladies detective agency
the wide window (lemony snicket 3)
the memory keeper's daughter
booked to die (cliff janewall 1)
pride and prejudice
jonathan strange and mr. norrell
the da vinci code (excited for the sequel coming in september)

i love the customer service i've gotten already, and cannot wait to get this huge pile in (and it was only $22!!)

message 411: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 30 comments the last book I bought was Cry Wolf
downloaded it by ebook.

message 412: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 138 comments The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick: A Novel: Purchased at the UPenn bookstore at 4:24 pm. Ha.

message 413: by Britt (new)

Britt Griffith Brideshead Revisted. Anyone read it? But tomorrow I'm going to my local library's used book sale. I can easily get a year's worth of books for just a few bucks. I've been looking forward to it all month!

message 414: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori | 2109 comments Mod
Britt, I bought it a while ago, but I haven't read it yet. (I know that doesn't really help) But I have heard it's good.

message 415: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 1699 comments Ugh I bought 13 books today at a library book sale... a lot of them were kids' books though haha. And I only spent $9!

message 416: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) Tahleen wrote: "Ugh I bought 13 books today at a library book sale... a lot of them were kids' books though haha. And I only spent $9!"

Kids books are the best, what did you buyyyyy?

message 418: by Lynn (new)

Lynn EVERYONE has been talking about The Shack! I've got to get on that one..

message 419: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori | 2109 comments Mod
I recently ordered 3 books from the Amazon marketplace from 3 different vendors. I go one of them all right and I'm waiting on the third. The second one was delivered on Saturday. But I was wanting the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo and they sent the abridged. I contacted the seller to see if they could/would refund my money or exchange it. Hopefully they will.

message 420: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments I went to Half Price Books over the weekend and bought:
Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger
The Merlin Conspiracy by Diana Wynne Jones
A Tale of Time City by Diana Wynne Jones
Redwall by Brian Jacques (Loved this series as a kid, thought I'd give it a reread.)

message 421: by Einin (new)

Einin | 8 comments The last books I bought were Fool by Christopher Moore and Sunshine by Robin McKinley. I bought them on Saturday and I've already finished both...I think I may have a problem...

message 422: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 138 comments I found a lovely copy of The Banquet Years at Phoenix Books. Thanks, Lambertville.

message 423: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 1699 comments Einin I'm reading Sunshine now! I wish I had finished it... I'm trying though! I really like it so far.

message 424: by Einin (new)

Einin | 8 comments Tahleen wrote: "Einin I'm reading Sunshine now! I wish I had finished it... I'm trying though! I really like it so far."

I just could not put it down! The first night I got it I stayed up until 3:30 in the morning. I love anything to do with vampires, really, and it's refreshing to find one that's not geared for teens. It seems like there should be a sequel, but I like that she leaves the reader to his or her own imagination.

message 425: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 1699 comments I'm actually doing an independent study on teen vampire lit and I'm reading it for that, though it's not really supposed to be for teens. I have to say though it's the best vampire lit I've read in a long time.

message 426: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments Einin, I read A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore, and it was really good. You'll have to let me know how Fool goes. :)

message 427: by Einin (new)

Einin | 8 comments Anna wrote: "Einin, I read A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore, and it was really good. You'll have to let me know how Fool goes. :) "

A Dirty Job was my favorite by him until I read Fool. Christopher Moore is such a witty, clever author and in Fool, he's definitely outdone himself. It's worth buying the hardback copy!

message 428: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments I might have to check it out next time I'm at the bookstore, then.
I really though A Dirty Job was amazing. It's such an interesting idea. Have you read any of his other books? For some reason, I've only read the one. I always forget to check out his shelf whenever I go book shopping... Hm.

message 429: by Einin (new)

Einin | 8 comments Anna wrote: "I might have to check it out next time I'm at the bookstore, then.
I really though A Dirty Job was amazing. It's such an interesting idea. Have you read any of his other books? For some reason, I'..."

Oh yeah. He's one of my favorite authors. I think I've read all but four of his. My favorites are Fool, A Dirty Job, and Lamb. Blood Sucking Fiends is also pretty good.

message 430: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments I want to read Lamb! It looks so funny, especially all bound up like a Bible.

message 431: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I just love the title Island of the Sequined Love Nun, so I really want to read that. Christopher Moore was doing a signing in the area, so I bought a copy of Fool and he signed it for me. I'm in the middle of it right now, and I'm really enjoying it! I want to read his other stuff!

message 432: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I just went on a shopping spree on Amazon and bought these:
On the Road by Jack Kerouac Eat, Pray, Love  One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith A Tree Grows in Brooklyn  by Betty Smith
Dear me.

message 433: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Kelsey wrote: "I just went on a shopping spree on Amazon and bought these:
On the Road by Jack KerouacEat, Pray, Love  One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert[book..."

good splurge! some of my all time favorites!

message 434: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments How lucky, Kelsey!
Also, I love Amazon. I could browse that site for hours. I had to turn off the one-click shopping, though. I was buying way too many unnecessary things, haha.

message 435: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha yeah, Amazon is dangerous. I love getting books in the mail, because it gives me something to look forward to. (I have a terrible memory too, so a lot of the time I'll forget that I even ordered any books and I'll get a surprise in the mail!)

message 436: by Einin (new)

Einin | 8 comments Lamb is SO good! If you are testy when it comes to people taking liberties with the Bible, beware. It actually helped me to except things about the Bible, even though everything in Lamb comes from the demented mind of Christopher Moore. The Island of the Sequined Love Nun sounds better than it is. I mean, it's worth reading, but definitely not one of his best.

message 437: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (Annashu) Einin wrote: "Lamb is SO good! If you are testy when it comes to people taking liberties with the Bible, beware. It actually helped me to except things about the Bible, even though everything in Lamb comes from ..."

I think I tried reading The Island of the Sequined Nun but wasn't impressed, I've been thinking about trying another so its good to know the one I tried wasn't his best.

message 438: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments Kelsey, I'm the same way. It's so great to get packages in the mail that I wasn't expecting! Haha.

Einin, yeah, I don't really have a problem with the subject matter. It seems like it would be absolutely hilarious. I'll have to put it at the very top of by TBR list...

message 439: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 71 comments Last books I bought were Margaret Macmillan's The Uses and Abuses of History and Benedict Anderson's Imagined Nations (am stocking up on the non-fiction to keep me busy over the summer, hehehe) =)

message 440: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments I just ordered five books of betterworldbooks.com:

The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor
The Red Queen by Margaret Drabble
Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Can't wait until they get here. :)

message 441: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) I recently ordered

His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman The Chronicles of Narnia (Books 1-7) by C.S. Lewis The Lord of the Rings (trilogy) by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 442: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments I almost bought the Chronicles of Narnia the other day at Half Price Books. They had all of the books bound in one volume for around $8. I really need to reread that series.

message 443: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 188 comments I just bought Night World NO.1 Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness by L.J. Smith last week and I will buy the others after I finish this one.

message 444: by Einin (new)

Einin | 8 comments Adriana wrote: "I just bought Night World NO.1 Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness by L.J. Smith last week and I will buy the others after I finish this one.
"

Is that a teen vamp series or for the older set? I love vampire books and I'm always in search of those that aren't written for teens.

message 445: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 1699 comments Einin check out my website I'm making! http://sites.google.com/site/teenvamp...

It's all about teen vampire books.

message 446: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) | 71 comments I had to pick up some stuff for my mum and succumbed in the bookstore: picked up Gabriel Nix's Lirael and Juan Gomez-Jurado's God Spy (got it for a bargain) xD

message 447: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 1699 comments Garth Nix? And I love that series. :)

message 448: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments I love that series too! I've added the Abhorsen trilogy to my list of books to buy soon. I loved it when I read it the first time.
I also read his series about the towers and color stones? I don't know, I've forgotten what it's called... The boy fell from the towers, though...

message 449: by Allison (new)

Allison | 79 comments i just got my order from better world books in, and i went to by library book sale..let's just say i've got quite a load of books to read!
The Wide Window (Lemony Snicket 3)
Booked to Die
The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency
Pride and Prejudice
Lucky
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
The Da Vinci Code
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
The Bone Parade
The Rule of Four
The Tenth Gift
The Case of the Missing Books
Anna Karenina
I Know This Much Is True
The Magic Paintbrush
Interred With Their Bones
A Great and Terrible Beauty

message 450: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments I really want to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society... It was recommended to me by my boyfriend's mom, haha.
And Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is really good. I loved it. Haven't read his newer book, though.