College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > last book you bought?

Comments (showing 101-150 of 1,294) (1294 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments holy crap Jamie..and the rest of you. i wish i had money to buy books.

message 102: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) Anastasia, I don't think that's what it's really called. Anthology maybe is a better word. It's a collection of her books all in one book. In my head, I'm on classics kick, but the actual reading is a different story...

message 103: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (bookworm1987) I just bought two on pity-myself money, I bought The Vanishing Acts Of Esme Lennox and Here's The Story

message 104: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) The last book I bought was Breaking Dawn. I have media problems. I buy way too much of it and have to contain myself, especially when it comes to books. I have recently found that I have to just buy the book I want to read next, instead of five of them at a time so that way I actually read them.

message 105: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
haha i hear you on that one Caiti..i buy all these books and then don't read them until a year later!

message 106: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Haha that's exactly how I am. I'll spend ALL of my money on books too. My friend and I went to a Friends of the Library last year and spent $500 together. HA!

message 107: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments I bought Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (I know Im behind you guys on the reading) and the History of Love last night.
If anyone lives near Philly there is a book sale at the Elkins Park (suburb of Philly) library once a month. In June they do a sale where u pay $5 bring a bag from home and fill that bag with as much as you can. I have only been to the one in June and went on the last day so there wasnt much to choose from by the time I got there. Im hoping to stop by at the Nov. sale and see if I can find anything good.

message 108: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Dude I'm thinking about making a trip up to Philly in June now...

message 109: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I got 5 books at Rasputin's for a $1 each :).

Like The Red Panda-Andrea Seigel
In The Name of Mercy- Nicholas Delbanco
Summer Light-Roxana Robinson
The History of Love- Nicole Krauss
The Amber Room-Steve Berry

message 110: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

nice I'm there for sure to the Elkins park! we should meet up and go if people are nearby!

Ashley..that sounds like some awesome deals!

message 111: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3026 comments Mod
Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
Inferno by Dante
The Box Car Children book 1
The Box Car Children book 2
The Box Car Children book 3
My First Word's

The last four were for Christmas presents! I am so proud of myself for 1: leaving the store under $50 and 2: for buying more for others than myself!

message 112: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

boxcar children!! :)

message 113: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3026 comments Mod
I know, I remember really liking the boxcar children, so that is what I got her. Her mom says she likes the Junie B books, but I don't like the way Junie talks. I can't see anything cute or funny about a child speaking incorrectly, but that is just one of my rants.

I am lucky. Both my neices love books, and my nephews so far are okay with them. I hope the Box Car Children aren't too difficult for her level, but I think she should be fine.

message 114: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Ashley- I read Like the Red Panda. I liked it. Not a fave, but worth the read. I hope you like it!

message 115: by April (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:31AM) (new)

April | 39 comments Oh my goodness, I went to another sale at Friends of the Library and got: The Secret History by Donna Tart, The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler, A Thousand Spendid Suns & The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini,The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. The Shack by William P. Young. I spent 10 bucks. I am sooo excited. I vowed to myself today not to purchase anymore books for myself until I catch up on all of my new ones. I dunno, I have just been in a book buying mood lately!

message 116: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yayyy! good job april!1 i just got the kite runner as well. we should read it together when we get around to it!

message 117: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Aw April I'm so jealous of you! I had to avoid the Friends of the Library a couple weeks ago because I'm a poor college student who spends way to much there. You'll have to let us all know how some of those books are. It can be your way of redistributing the wealth.

message 118: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) I loved the Kite Runner. Amaaaazing! Still haven't read A Thousand Splendid Suns though. =(

message 119: by Janet (new)

Janet Ok I have to be honest, I really didn't like the Kite Runner. I thought it was so depressing. I mean I know it's not supposed to be a happy book but I just couldn't get into it. I mean I didn't think it was a total waste of time but I just really didn't like it. Has anyone read A Thousand Splendid Suns? Is it a lot like the Kite Runner?

message 120: by April (new)

April | 39 comments No, Caiti thats my problem...I'm a poor college student and have been spending my extra money on books ahhhhh! That's why I have to stop at least until the Holidays pass b/c I have to save my extra cash for gifts! I did have a wonderful thought last night as I was making my shopping list...since I can't buy myself books, I'm gonna buy books as gifts that should satisfy my craving hahahah :o) Except my boyfriend doesnt read and I told him he was getting a book in his stocking...he replied with a very low enthused grrreeeeaaaatttt :o(

message 121: by April (new)

April | 39 comments Oh Jamie...we def should read Kite Runner together...at my school our last day is Dec 9 i think and we don't start Spring semester til like Jan 9 or so. I will have a month to do nothing but shop, read, and bake! So let me know when you want to start :o)

message 122: by Caiti Casey (last edited Nov 12, 2008 08:40AM) (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Oh yeah, we're all college students here huh? Means we're all broke! April isn't it funny how much of a high you can get from buying books, even if its for someone else. That sucks that your boyfriend isn't into reading, it makes it more fun when they are.

message 123: by April (new)

April | 39 comments Yea, I know. I'm totally looking to find him a really good book that he would be interested in so I can get him hooked. All it takes is one time and you will like it forever :o) That's one of his presents going in his stocking this Christmas hahaha.

message 124: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Is he a hopeless romantic? Cause if he is he might like Twilight. I'm telling ya it's the best thing since slice bread. My boyfriend is reading it now and he loves them.

message 125: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) haha, you're telling me, caiti! I'm a hopeless romantic though

message 126: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Nov 13, 2008 10:16PM) (new)

ok time to tell a sappy little story..haha..so..my nonbook friendly boyfriend sent me an email with the subject line of "something you might like" and then i open it and there was a link..i click on the link and theres this website with a bunch of deals on it..and he found a 40% off Borders coupon for me! :) i was so happy..haha..because not only did i order 2 books and save $ BUT at least he supports my addiction despite his own dislike for books! haha

so i bought Eclipse & The The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel

and now i'm going to share the wealth with you all..

http://www.slickdeals.net/?nojs=1&amp...

you have to scroll down a little bit to find it. when he first sent it to me yesterday it was on top.

edit: stupid me..i could have just copied and pasted it..haha im tired.

Borders has a new 40% off coupon DMB5387A valid for any book. The discount it taken off list price, and will not apply if the discount is already 40% or more. Shipping is free when shipped to a US store, or with $25+ purchase. Thanks kharedi

Alternatively, use coupon DML5388Y for 30% off any item, not just books.

message 127: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) thanks for sharing the wealth, jamie! (thank your bf too, that was nice of him :) )

and ashley, i advertise for Borders so much, too, that I really should get referral fees, haha

message 128: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Haha you guys make me chuckle. Thanks for spreading the wealth Jamie. Now should I use it for gifts or myself. Such a tough decision...

message 129: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

no prob girls! :)

message 130: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Tonite I got "Just Listen" by Sarah Dessen and "Graceling" by Kristin Cashore

message 131: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i have "Just Listen" sitting on my shelves! I need to get around to reading it!

message 132: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Then I will nominate it for the January 2009 group read...or you can do that Jamie :).

You know I have so many good books on my shelf and dresser that sometimes it is hard to pick one to nominate.

message 133: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i know! i always have about 10 i want to nominate..luckily this time almost all of the nominations were things that i already had on my tbr list!:)

message 134: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) tonite I got the second and third book of the Pellinor series by Alison Croggon

The Riddle
The Crow

message 135: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I just bought November's book to read eventually, and I also bought History of Love so I can join in the discussion this month! :D

message 137: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh and caiti..i'm so glad you will be joining in our discussion this coming month!! :)

message 138: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) ooh Jamie, I read Lullaby... tell me what you think about it when you get around to it. I had mixed feelings about it.

I just bought Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and The Playboy

message 139: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) Jamie, Wasted is one of my favorite books. I've honestly read it about one hundred times...I just joined PBS - does it really take the books almost three weeks to arrive?

Yesterday I bought the second two books of the Gemma Doyle trilogy and History of Love from borders.com because I forgot to bring my coupons to work...I used the ones from the other thread instead!

message 140: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Justine..i can't wait to read it!

in my experience..i have gotten them WAY faster..like a few i have gotten literally within 2 days..some its taken a week..it all depends when the person sends it out..but i've honestly never had to wait 3 weeks. I think they just do that to give themselves a cushion.

message 141: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) She has another book that just came out this yearMadness: A Bipolar Life that I'm excited to get around to reading at some point...

That's a relief, haha. My dilemma was: How is this going to keep my out of bookstores if it takes three weeks the for books to show up?

message 142: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh that one sounds good too! thanks for sharing!

haha yeah..when i first read that i was like WHAT!? 3 weeks..what takes 3 weeks to get anywhere anymore! lol..but honestly it isn't too bad..occasionally you get someone who takes a week to get it out to you and then it might take another week to get there..but most of mine have been quick..i think because most people want you to hurry up and get it so they can receive their credit for a book. I always use the instant credit thing though so that i get the credit right away rather than waiting for them to mark it as received..i did that in the beginning and some people would just forget to come on for a week!

message 143: by April (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:45AM) (new)

April | 39 comments I'm soooo excited I just found The Time Traveler's Wife & Water for Elephants at the Friends of the Library store for 1.00 each yippppeeee :o)

message 144: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments April, great finds! Those are both fantastic and addictive books.

message 145: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (spencerafreeman) april, what exactly is friends of the library? ive heard people talk about it and all the excellent prices, and im curious... (a bit envious too :) )

message 146: by April (new)

April | 39 comments Well where I live it's connected onto the Public Library and all the proceeds are basically donations to the Library. People donate books they don't want anymore and the FOL sell them for a buck or 2. I think all the people who work there are like retired older adults and are all volunteers. It's a really good thing b/c I have found some really great bargains there!

message 148: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ive never heard of bookcloseout.com before! Thanks for sharing MahoganyRain! and welcome!! :)

message 149: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) I didn't enjoy Not Without Laughter very much. I liked the plot and the point of the story but I just don't really like Langston Hughes' style? I'm not really sure. I think he couldn't get out of his poetry mindset which isn't a bad thing; the endless paragraphs describing things just get me a little bored.

I can't remember her name, but I liked Sandy's aunt best. And his grandma. They were feisty. But in totally different ways. And I think they cared about him best. Ahww, I wanna cry now!!

But that is such an awesome deal!! Congrats! And I hope you enjoy all of your finds!

message 150: by Monique (new)

Monique (MoniqueReads) | 14 comments No problem. Bookcloseout.com is great. They don't have a wide selection but you can't beat the price. And this month they are having a promo for free shipping on all orders over $35.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (other topics)
The Female of the Species (other topics)
Good Omens (other topics)
Couldn't Keep it to Myself: Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Institution (other topics)
A Great and Terrible Beauty (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tobias Wolff (other topics)
Jerry Spinelli (other topics)
Augusten Burroughs (other topics)
Chuck Palahniuk (other topics)
Marya Hornbacher (other topics)
More...