College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > last book you bought?

Comments (showing 1,201-1,250 of 1,291) (1291 new)    post a comment »

Sashana | 512 comments I just read Daughter of Smoke and Bone and I really enjoyed it. If your sister likes romance/fantasy/ya then I think she will enjoy it, Tami.

message 1202: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 679 comments Lol Tami! I would sign up for that as well! Or maybe the whole of 2012... I am burying myself in books as well... The mailman has brought so many packages from the Book Depository he thought I wasn't Dutch ;)

Last I got myself is Paranormalcy. It finally got here today after 4 weeks!

message 1203: by Tami (new)

Tami | 2935 comments Mod
The funniest part of me saying that, January is the BUSIEST month by far for me at work. Even worse than right before tax deadlines. Year end work is a &%$#@!

message 1204: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 597 comments I went to a used bookstore yesterday and I bought:

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
The Witches by Roald Dahl
The Art of Devotion by Samantha Bruce-Benjamin
The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold (I know this book got really awful reviews but I'm curious about it and it was only $1)

I also bought The Poisonwood Bible for my humanities class and some William Faulkner novels for my Faulkner seminar next semester:

As I Lay Dying
Light in August
Absalom, Absalom!
Go Down, Moses

I've read the first two already.

Nullifidian I bought Philosophies of Art and Beauty: Selected Readings in Aesthetics from Plato to Heidegger by Albert Hofstadter and Richard Kuhns (eds.) as a substitute for the philosophy of aesthetics class I'd like to take but which isn't offered. ;-)

I bought The World of Rome by Michael Grant because of Dmitri Merezhkovsky's novel The Death of the Gods, which has got me obsessed all over again with the Classical world.

Also I bought two translations of Ovid. First, I bought the Metamorphoses translated by Rolfe Humphries because the translation used for the LibriVox recording sucks, then I bought the Metamorphoses translated by Frank Justus Miller for the same reason. That is, Miller's translation is public domain, so I want to read more of it in order to assess whether I might want to record it for LibriVox as a different version from the one they have now. Both books were about $4 a piece, so I don't think I've wasted much money either way. Besides, I like Rolfe Humphries' translations from Latin (his version of Lucretius is brilliant).

message 1206: by Ponyo (new)

Ponyo (ponyo2990) Crime and punishment
the hobbit
high fidelity

from used bookshop :)

message 1207: by Jess (new)

Jess Michaelangelo | 191 comments I picked up a physical copy of Soulless by Gail Carriger because I loved it so much, and I also picked up Horns by Joe Hill because it was on sale! :)

Ashley | 61 comments I just bought The House at Riverton when I was visiting my parents this weekend. On the one hand, my goal of not purchasing any new books until I read all the ones I have already failed, but I was supporting a small, local business so it all evens out?

Ashley (AMGordon) | 3 comments I just recently bought Soulless by Gail Carriger and Nameless by Kyle Chais. I haven't started either one, but I can't wait to.

Kelly A. | 499 comments I bought a ton of books (among them Franny and Zooey, Shanghai Girls, The Memoirs Of Cleopatra, Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII, The Lady and the Unicorn, A Clockwork Orange, a few replacements for my worn out Harry Potter books, and some others) at the most AMAZING book store yesterday. This store has about 2,000 used books really cheap, but the best part is you can take in your old books and trade them in for ones at the store. I took 14 books in and was able to get 14 in return -- no money at all was exchanged! It felt like an old barter system where books was the currency. It was amazing and there was a great selection.

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) I just bought Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand and City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

message 1212: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 597 comments My library had a booksale last weekend. I bought:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Ape House by Sara Gruen

Kristine Claro (kcstrife) | 2 comments The last book I bought was "The Power of Six" of Lorien Series which was a year ago. Still waiting for the next book. :)

message 1215: by Natanya (last edited May 27, 2012 04:03PM) (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments I don't usually buy many books (I like the library), but I've been in Paris for the semester, and when I went to Ireland over spring break I couldn't help buying a couple books just because they were in English :) I got Reader I Married Him (wouldn't recommend it) and The Road. And then a couple weeks ago in London I found a book store where everything was on sale for 1 pound (that's about $1.60 right now), so I bought One Day. I'd have bought out the store if I'd had more time to dig through the piles of books! 1 pound, man!

message 1216: by Vic (last edited Jun 05, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Vic (akisei) | 2 comments Four Past Midnight by Stephen King

Ashley | 61 comments I stopped by the library over the weekend and they were having a giant book sale in the courtyard so I picked up Nanny Returns. It was only a dollar so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

message 1218: by Julia (new)

Julia I recently bought Callum and Harper by Fisher Amelie - it doesn't seem to be too well known but it was absolutely amazing.

Brandi (elainemaine) I've never heard of the author Fisher Amelie. Maybe I'll take a peak at the book. :)

I haven't been able to catch HBO's "A Game of Thrones", but I just bought the book today. Can't wait to read it!

Lindsey | 4 comments I just bought Divergent and Insurgent for my Kindle and finished them in a matter of days, amazing books! :)

Marissa (schnuckems) | 13 comments The Power of Amazon:

Rough Magic: A Biography of Sylvia Plath
Memories, Dreams and Reflections by Marianne Faithfull
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
post office: A Novel by Charles Bukowski
One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley by Carol Ann Lee
Tammy Wynette: Tragic Country Queen by Jimmy McDonough
Underworld by Don DeLillo
Love is a Dog From Hell by Charles Bukowski

message 1222: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I've been using the library a lot more this year but the last book I bought was Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson.

message 1224: by Ana (new)

Ana | 63 comments I went to Barnes and Noble earlier this week and I simply cannot go into that place without buying books. I got Looking for Alaska and The Angel Experiment
I also got Forbidden and Mortal for my nook.
There was a paperback sale on B&N's website so I bought City of Bones, but for some reason they had to cancel my order!

message 1225: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Ana wrote: "I went to Barnes and Noble earlier this week and I simply cannot go into that place without buying books. I got Looking for Alaska and The Angel Experiment
I also got Forbidden and Mortal for my no..."

LOVE LOVE LOVE Looking For Alaska!!

message 1226: by Damon (new)

Damon Marbut (DamonFerrellMarbut) | 2 comments Dancer from the Dance by Andrew Holleran. Amazing.

message 1227: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 597 comments I went to a bunch of yard sales a few days ago. I got a lot of great things (including an almost brand new pair of cowgirl boots for $1!) but I also got a few books for 25 cents each:

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Jeeves Collection: Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves / The Inimitable Jeeves / Carry On, Jeeves
Incantation by Alice Hoffman
Holes by Louis Sachar

and a copy of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea for free!

Laarni (CaramelQuill) | 17 comments Ordered Cinder last Friday. Can't wait to get it so I can start reading :)

message 1229: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori | 2109 comments Mod
I ordered Hemingway: The 1930s through the Final Years the other day on Amazon. I cannot wait until it comes in!

Alecia (AleciaStone) Rules of Attraction which I am reading right now. It's going great so far :)

Akhil teja (akhilsayaawesomeeeeee) The Davincy code

Marissa (schnuckems) | 13 comments Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn

The Diary of a Teenage Girl: An Account in Words and Pictures Phoebe Gloeckner

I enjoyed both of them.

Jennifer | 6 comments Just bought a new book yesterday for Kindle. Getting ready to start reading it this afternoon!

No Easy Day  The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden by Mark Owen No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden

Nitzan Schwarz (DrugsCalledBooks) | 9 comments I just bought Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer two days ago! Yay! I went and looked in 4 different book stores to find it! I love the book *^*

message 1235: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Nicol (izzabellezi) | 2 comments literally just bought Ulysses and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Looking forward to reading them.

Daniel | 388 comments Last book I bought was Marlfox and Arctic Drift

Rebecca | 5 comments just bought "New Orleans, Mon Amour"

message 1238: by Tami (new)

Tami | 2935 comments Mod
I haven't bought myself a book in ages. I do buy them for gifts for birthdays, Christmas, Mothers Day, etc. so I will be headed to the store soon. I have been tackling my huge amount of books I already own that I haven't read yet.

Jacqueline Bartelmo (Missjackieann) | 31 comments The last book I bought was Green is the New Red

message 1240: by Mirra (new)

Mirra (Mirrkat) | 7 comments Life on The Edge by Jennifer Comeaux. Its a romantic skating book. Its a fast read. I am a figure skating fan (or a winter sports fan in general) so it was recommended. It is a cute, and fun read.

Lorelei | 6 comments I went in to B&N the other day to "just look and have a pumpkin spice latte"...ahem. And I came out very caffeinated and happy with Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone and Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara:)

message 1242: by Nullifidian (last edited Jan 28, 2013 09:57AM) (new)

Nullifidian I bought a couple books from B&N too, because they offered 15% off the most expensive item in the shipment and I had $20 from Christmas gift certificates.

Aside from a $5 album titled The Best of Sublime just to get the cost over the $25 needed for free shipping, I also bought No Gods, No Masters: An Anthology of Anarchism by Daniel Guérin (ed.) and Contested Will: Who Wrote Shakespeare? by James Shapiro.

Edited to add:
Horns by Joe Hill was Kindle's Daily Deal yesterday, and I'd been wanting to read it anyway so I bought it for $2.

message 1243: by Burgendya (last edited Feb 03, 2013 12:48PM) (new)

Burgendya | 37 comments THE POISENER'S HANDBOOK by Deborah Blum. Was the most recent book I bought at the school bookstore. Has anyone read it before? =)~

message 1244: by Carli (new)

Carli (carlisajc) Les Mis!
So long, but so good.

Daniel | 388 comments Carli wrote: "Les Mis!
So long, but so good."

I should read that. Still apprehensive though

Heather B (HeatherBenson) | 36 comments The Luxe, Rumors, and Envy by Anna Godbersen. The box-set was on sale and I had heard that the series was good. So I though what the heck I'll just add to my to read pile, which is now going exponentially...

The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen Rumors (Luxe, #2) by Anna Godbersen Envy (Luxe, #3) by Anna Godbersen

Micealaya Moses The last books I bought were The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon for my Kindle and The Alienist by Caleb Carr, and the first book in The Game of Thrones series from the Salvation Army. A month ago my local library had a bookbag sale where you would fill a large grocery bag with as many books as you could fit and you would only have to pay $5 a bag. I brought home 3 full bags which I'm probably going to regret when I have to move. Oh well.

message 1248: by Silvia (last edited Apr 17, 2013 07:43PM) (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 417 comments Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness A fascinating memoir, on a recently discovered diagnosis NMDAR (autoimmune encephalitis) and its manifestation.

message 1249: by Kelly F. (last edited Apr 23, 2013 08:28AM) (new)

Kelly F. | 308 comments I had to go out today and get The Elite. I've been so excited for it to finally be released. Can't wait to see what happens.

I couldn't buy just one book so I also got
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
The Demon King
The Fault in Our Stars

All of which I've heard are amazing books!

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments I've read both Demon King and The Fault in Our Stars, LOVED them both!