Haven Lake discussion

Things to think about > Superstitions

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (last edited Jul 31, 2011 06:14AM) (new)

Magdalena (Maggie) Nightingale (MagdalenaNightingale) | 836 comments Mod
Here's a little fun thing I thought of, that we can discuss to learn more about each other.

Superstition. On first thought, what comes to mind? 'Don't step on a crack, or you'll break your mother's back'? Do you find yourself avoiding walking underneath ladders? At first, I thought superstition was silly--who would buy into the stuff. Then I realized I was slightly superstitious myself. If I ever spill salt, I throw some over my left shoulder. When playing cards, I never touch my hand until everyone has theirs--that's bad luck, you see. I think superstition runs deep through every human society. So, why not let us know what kind of crazy things you do for luck?

message 2: by Rudyards, Etiam reges mortales sunt (new)

Rudyards | 2024 comments Mod
I have two main ones, both incredibly odd.

I don't like to see myself in a dark mirror, especially in a bath room. Then the other one is that I never say "I wish..." without immediately addin "Not really."

message 3: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

I like the dark mirror one. :)

message 4: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

Yeah, a kid at my camp spilled a salt shaker before leaving on a rafting trip, and I forgot to make her throw some over her shoulder. I was convinced she was going to have a terrible accident or something. :D

message 5: by Whimsicality, Sunshine for breakfast, glitter for lunch, and souls for dinner. (new)

Whimsicality (onawhim) | 3522 comments Mod
I like to freak myself out by playing with mirrors and lights or candles in the dark :P I'm going to die a terrific death!

I just had to knock on wood^ :P That's my only superstition, really.

message 6: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

Ooh, forgot about that one. I also don't like to jinx things.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I jinx things all the time. xD

message 8: by Jo, Unwilling Concertmaster (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 3172 comments Mod
I do avoid black cats, but only because they look intimidating with that creepy look.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (SugarAddict) | 2128 comments I love black cats!!!

Um... I don't like the bloody mary thing. I don't believe it, it just creeps me out.

message 10: by Rudyards, Etiam reges mortales sunt (new)

I forgot to mention my last thing. Less of a supersrstition and more of just a habit: I never do anything I would call a horror movie character an idiot for.

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (SugarAddict) | 2128 comments Lol like walk into a dark house at midnight when you hear a scream come out of it?

message 12: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

Haha, I probably would do that. ;)

message 13: by Rudyards, Etiam reges mortales sunt (last edited Aug 01, 2011 10:36AM) (new)

Or do anything stupid on a dare, such as stealing from that wizened old lady that everyone thinks is a witch. But yes Kat, going into dark houses at midnight is low on my list.

Moonstonesandbooks | 317 comments *witch

When I was walking in the Plaza de Bolivar (Bolivar Square) in Bogota, I got pooped on by a pigeon. My mom says that in Spanish superstition, it's good luck to get that, because they say that it'll bring money. I don't really believe in that, though.

message 15: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

Ooh, I have another one! Wishing on the first star, shooting stars, dandelions, eyelashes, birthday candles, and when a drop of water falls on you in a cave.

message 16: by Whimsicality, Sunshine for breakfast, glitter for lunch, and souls for dinner. (new)

Rudyards wrote: "Or do anything stupid on a dare, such as stealing from that wizened old lady that everyone thinks is a which. But yes Kat, going into dark houses at midnight is low on my list."

I'm a sucker for a dare; I'll do it if you dare me. xD So yeah.

@Alex - it's the same in any culture, I'm pretty sure. I think it's just a way not to get you too bummed out because a sky rat took a crap on your shoulder.

@Maggie - A drop of water??? You can do that? xD Apparently there's also when you get the last drop of something.

message 17: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

Whimsicality wrote: "@Maggie - A drop of water??? You can do that? xD Apparently there's also when you get the last drop of something. "

Yeah, last time I went in a cave tour at Luray, they said it was good luck, and that you can wish on it. Or maybe it was Smoke Hole Caverns in WV? I dunno.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 01, 2011 11:22AM) (new)

Moonstonesandbooks wrote: "*witch

When I was walking in the Plaza de Bolivar (Bolivar Square) in Bogota, I got pooped on by a pigeon. My mom says that in Spanish superstition, it's good luck to get that, because they say th..."

That happened to my cousin and he's won every bet he's made since. o.o

message 19: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

O.O

message 20: by Jo, Unwilling Concertmaster (new)

Karma does NOT exist. Just because a raindro fell on my eye just after I mocked a frined doesn't mean it always happens.

Desiree *Primrose* I can't sleep without the door closed

message 22: by Whimsicality, Sunshine for breakfast, glitter for lunch, and souls for dinner. (new)

Jo wrote: "Karma does NOT exist. Just because a raindro fell on my eye just after I mocked a frined doesn't mean it always happens."

o.O That has nothing to do with karma ... ???

Karma is the balance of the universe and I firmly believe in it.

message 23: by Thera (new)

Thera (therjolras) | 5311 comments I'm not the superstition kind of person, but I am a solid, determined chrisstian. Nothing changes that, and nothing ever will.

message 24: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 562 comments Run a yellow light, kiss your fingers, rap the car's ceiling and then make the sign of the cross. It's a superstitious thing a friend of mine did and I unknowingly adopted. I still do this just as a thanks for not crashing!

message 25: by Thera (new)

Thera (therjolras) | 5311 comments *raises eyebrows* OOkay.

I've never believed in good luck, really. I held on to a four-leaf clover once, but it was when I was a spiderwick nut. I've never knocked on wood, and I certainly don't panic when a black cat crosses me.

message 26: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 562 comments I knock on wood to avoid the jinx. It's a subconscious act but I do not freak out when around ladders or black cats. I don't toss salt over my shoulder.

And my friend who did the cross technique is a Christian, too. It was her thanks to God.

message 27: by Thera (new)

Thera (therjolras) | 5311 comments Yeah. I'm not jumping at you.

I'm a reformed presbyterian.

message 28: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

Just because you are superstitious doesn't mean you're nota good Christian, Amber... >.<

message 29: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 562 comments It's cool, Amber.

message 30: by Whimsicality, Sunshine for breakfast, glitter for lunch, and souls for dinner. (new)

LOL Amber. xD

message 31: by Thera (new)

Thera (therjolras) | 5311 comments It's not that, I just think superstition is a little silly. And I mean it.

message 32: by Magdalena (Maggie), Ain't no party like a Dinwiddie party... (new)

It is silly. :P

message 33: by Thera (new)

Thera (therjolras) | 5311 comments :-P

message 34: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 562 comments I like the older superstitions especially the ones for making babies.

message 35: by Whimsicality, Sunshine for breakfast, glitter for lunch, and souls for dinner. (new)

^I LOVE THOSE :D

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 562 comments Ha ha Ha.

message 37: by Hope (new)

Hope I avoid mirrors at night (who knows what I'd see in there? Stupid Ghost Whisperer has me all freaked!), I don't spill salt or open an umbrella in my house. I never walk under ladders, I also firmly believe in karma.

message 38: by Hope (new)

Hope I've never heard of the knocking on wood one. Can someone explain it to me please?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

message 40: by Hope (new)

Hope Thanks. ^^

message 41: by Jo, Unwilling Concertmaster (new)

When I was nine, my mother and my siblings and me were on an errand. We saw a black cat. Two hours later, we crashed the car. No one got hurt, the car was somewhat fine, but that was spooky.

message 42: by Rudyards, Etiam reges mortales sunt (new)

Creepy.

unread topics | mark unread