The Sword and Laser discussion

Fuzzy Nation > FuzzyVerse

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Jul 28, 2011 08:23PM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1843 comments
So I was at a used bookstore today, and came across this gem (see bottom of pile). I didn't know about Golden Dream: A Fuzzy Odyssey... are there more Fuzzy books out there?

Is there a.... FuzzyVerse?

(P.S. I spent $10 for this pile. I am awesome!)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1843 comments Answering my own question... behold the Fuzzy Sapiens

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1739 comments IIRC, Piper wrote three Fuzzy novels, however only the first two were published in his life time and the third was lost until sometime in the '80s. During the '70s his estate tried to cash in by hiring someone to write a continuation, which is what you've found, but the third book ended up contradicting a lot of what the author came up with.

It's also worth noting that the Fuzzy novels are set within the Terro-Human Empire series, which is a future history Piper came up with, stretching from the 1960s to several thousand years in the future, charting the rise and fall and rise again of human civilization. Most of the books in the series are in the public domain, and you can get them on Gutenberg. The Cosmic Computer and Space Viking are worth reading, as is the short story Omnilingual.

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick P. | 53 comments The estate had two follow up books written. The other was called "Fuzzy Bones." Piper's third Fuzzy novel was eventually published under the title "Fuzzies and Other People."

Sean makes some great recommendations here. "Cosmic Computer" is particularly ahead of it's time. I'm also very fond of "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen," which somehow stayed under copyright. It's often available as part of his "Paratime" series, some of which is available on Gutenberg.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Golden Dream (other topics)