College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > favorite book quotes

Comments (showing 1-50 of 108) (108 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
What are some of your favorite quotes from books?

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww'"-- On the Road--Jack Kerouac

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple."
— Jack Kerouac --The Dharma Bums

"It's everybody, I mean. Everything everybody does is so — I don't know — not wrong, or even mean, or even stupid necessarily. But just so tiny and meaningless and — sad-making. And the worst part is, if you go bohemian or something crazy like that, you're conforming just as much only in a different way."
— J.D. Salinger--Franny and Zooey

Kelsey (KelseyNicole) Everything happens for a reason!!

By..i dont know. lol

Silvia (silverware) | 417 comments I love the first quote Jamie!

I absolutely love this quote from the Colour Purple. Contextually it is even more heart rendering because it describes my view on God.

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it"

This is from a Midsumerr Night's dream.

"Thus I die. Thus, thus, thus.
Now I am dead,
Now I am fled,
My soul is in the sky.
Tongue, lose thy light.
Moon take thy flight.
Now die, die, die, die."

My favourite all time quote, which I don't think comes from any book is:
"The heart has its reasons, which reason knows nothing of."

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Silvia..I LOVE that quote from The Color Purple. its really great!

Katerina | 252 comments good topic!

"I met an old lady once, almost a hundred years old, and she told me, 'There are only two questions that human beings have ever fought over, all through history. How much do you love me, and Who's in charge?'"
— Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i really want to read that book. good quote Katerina!

Jessica | 143 comments "If all the world hated you and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved of you and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends.
- from Jane Eyre

Annette | 39 comments Great topic Jamie!

"The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance, but live right in it, under its roof."
— Barbara Kingsolver (Animal Dreams)

That is all I have for now, but I am sure I will have more to post later :)

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh that is a great one! i read the poisonwood bible..how is animal dreams?

Janet "Carmen hated the 'life is too short' rationalization. She thought it was one of the lamer excuses in the history of excuse-making. Whenever you did something because 'life is too short not to,' you could be sure life would be just long enough to punish you for it."
— Ann Brashares

Kelsey (KelseyNicole) you know...i have alot of quotes i absolutley love. but once you ask me the question of what is your favorite quote..they all escape my mind. dangit

Jessica | 143 comments haha i know exactly what you mean Kelsey.

Kelsey (KelseyNicole) HAHA! i printed out some quotes that i love, so i wouldnt forget them. =D

~"You dont love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.
--Jodi Picoult

~"Look after my heart, I've left it with you"
--Stephenie Meyer (the all time best!!)

~Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'"

~Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.

~Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

~"bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid"
--USMC

"Whoever said the pen is mightier then the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
--Douglas MacArthur

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

"why is the rum always gone"?
- captain jack sparrow

Kelsey (KelseyNicole) mmmm johnny depp..i love him in pirates! he is aswome as Captain Jack!!!<3

Katerina | 252 comments kelsey..i love the jodi picoult one.

Kelsey (KelseyNicole) yea she is a great author!! i found a new quote i like but i kinda forgot it..lol ill add it when i think of it. =)

message 18: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i know have a million favorite quotes from our recent group read.

"What about little microphones? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers, which could be in the pouches of our overalls? When you skateboarded down the street at night you could hear everyone's heartbeat, and they could hear yours, sort of like sonar. One weird thing is, I wonder if everyone's hearts would start to beat at the same time, like how women who live together have their menstrual periods at the same time, which I know about, but don't really want to know about. That would be so weird, except that the place in the hospital where babies are born would sound like a crystal chandelier in a houseboat, because the babies wouldn't have had time to match up their heartbeats yet. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon it would sound like war."
— Jonathan Safran Foer (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close)

"She wants to know if I love her, that's all anyone wants from anyone else, not love itself but the knowledge that love is there, like new batteries in the flashlight in the emergency kit in the hall closet."
— EL&IC

"Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future."

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments "I turned on the radio and found a station playing "Hey Jude." It was true, I didn't want to make it bad. I wanted to make it better. It's just that I didn't know how."
-Jonathan Safran Foer (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close)

I'm pretty sure the entire book is just an extremely long favorite quote of mine. =)

message 20: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i agree!! :)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever."
— Alfred Lord Tennyson

Janet I just heard a couple of good quotes today, one funny and one just good.

This is from The Bucket List:
"Three things to remember when you get older:
Never pass up a bathroom
Never waste a hard-on
And never trust a fart"

Sorry it's stupid but I thought it was really funny way to live your life by!

The other one is from Where the Heart Is:
"We've all got meanness in us but we've all got goodness too and the only thing worth living for is the good and that is why we've got to make sure and pass it on."

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I love Where the Heart Is!

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I do too! Ugh I swear I could watch that movie like once a month!

I love that one from the Bucket List Janet!

message 25: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Stuff your eyes with wonder… live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

I have some good quotes from Eat, Pray, Love that I need to put on here!

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 07, 2009 02:12AM) (new)

"Being in love was like China: you knew it was there, and no doubt it was very interesting, and some people went there, but I never would. I'd spend all my life without ever going to China, but it wouldn't matter, because there was all the rest of the world to visit... And I thought: am I really going to spend the rest of my life without feeling that again? I thought: I want to go to China. It's full of treasures and strangeness and mysteries and joy."
The Amber SpyglassPhilip Pullman

"Even if it means oblivion, friends, I'll welcome it, because it won't be nothing. We'll be alive again in a thousand blades of we'll be glittering in the dew under the stars and the moon out there in the physical world, which is our true home and always was"
The Amber SpyglassPhilip Pullman

"You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you."
Fight Club A Novel Chuck Palahniuk

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
Fight Club A Novel Chuck Palahniuk

Kami | 15 comments " ...she had learned early in her life that if you discovered something that made you tighten inside, you had better try to learn more about it. If you simply ignored the feeling, you would never know what might happen, and in many ways that was worse than finding out you were wrong in the first place. Because if you were wrong, you could go forward in your life without ever looking back over your shoulder and wondering what might have been"
- Message in a Bottle

message 28: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh i like that one!

message 29: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I just started this book and already I'm finding favorite book quotes:

" I wasn't born a Retail Slave. I didn't pop out from my mother's womb with a feverish desire to sell things people don't want or need. I don't have the bouncy game show personality that would make it easy for me to go up to strangers and say, "HI! How are you today? How can I help you? Would you like to see our new Coach bags for the spring? Let me tell you what's on sale! Can I answer any other idiotic questions you might have? Please! Treat me like shit and ruin my day"

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments Oh my goodness Jamie, that's hilarious! And so so true!

message 32: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha yeah..I let everyone at work read that paragraph and now they all want to read the book! lol

Tami | 2843 comments Mod
I have been reading the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and love this one:

"He could out-superintend any boy I ever see. He knowed how to do everything."

Emily  O (ReadingWhileFemale) | 487 comments Roisu wrote: ""Even if it means oblivion, friends, I'll welcome it, because it won't be nothing. We'll be alive again in a thousand blades of we'll be glittering in the dew under the stars and the moon out there in the physical world, which is our true home and always was"
The Amber SpyglassPhilip Pullman"

That is one of my favorite quotes.

message 35: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Some new favorite quotes from The Unbearable Lightness of Being:

"Love is the longing for the half of ourselves we have lost."

"We all need someone to look at us. we can be divided into four categories according to the kind of look we wish to live under. the first category longs for the look of an infinite number of anonymous eyes, in other words, for the look of the public. the second category is made up of people who have a vital need to be looked at by many known eyes. they are the tireless hosts of cocktail parties and dinners. they are happier than the people in the first category, who, when they lose their public, have the feeling that the lights have gone out in the room of their lives. this happens to nearly all of them sooner or later. people in the second category, on the other hand, can always come up with the eyes they need. then there is the third category, the category of people who need to be constantly before the eyes of the person they love. their situation is as dangerous as the situation of people in the first category. one day the eyes of their beloved will close, and the room will go dark. and finally there is the fourth category, the rarest, the category of people who live in the imaginary eyes of those who are not present. they are the dreamers."

Alicia (Kalypso) | 214 comments From our recent reading...

"There had to be the dark and muddy waters so that the sun could have something to background its flashing glory."
~"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" Betty Smith

Some of my other favorites...

“The one you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person.”
~"Invisible Monsters" Chuck Palahniuk

"It was the tension betweeen these two poles - a restless idealism on one hand and a sense of impending doom on the other - that kept me going."
~"The Rum Diary" Hunter S. Thompson

"Some people feel like they don't deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past."
~ Chris McCandless (Into the Wild)

Zach Irvin | 27 comments "for god's sake let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings" Richard II, Shakespeare

"people for whom sin is just words, salvation is just words too" As I Lay Dying, Faulkner

"they are quakers with a vengeance" Moby Dick, Melville

Alicia (Kalypso) | 214 comments A couple quotes from books I have read recently...

"I expected that the bourbon would taste like bad memories; instead it just tasted like good alcohol."
~"The Gargoyle" Andrew Davidson

"It doesn't matter how fast you move, I learned, if you never go anywhere."

"She did refer, however, to her own misfortune at the hands of love some sixty years earlier. 'You never get over it ... But you get to where it doesn't bother you so much.' "
~"The Virgin Suicides" Jeffrey Eugenides

"And the Law of Natural Selection was powerless to respond to such new technologies. No female of any species, unless, maybe, she was a rhinoceros, could expect to give birth to a baby who was fireproof, bombproof, or bulletproof.
The best that the Law of Natural Selection could come up with...was somebody who wasn't afraid of anything, even though there was so much to fear."
~"Galapagos" Kurt Vonnegut

"A small child typically laughs more than four hundred times each day, and an adult - seventeen times."
~"The Happiness Project" Gretchen Rubin

message 39: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Alicia wrote: "A couple quotes from books I have read recently...

"I expected that the bourbon would taste like bad memories; instead it just tasted like good alcohol."

"It doesn..."

Love the Gretchen Rubin one! I really liked that book!

Jessica | 143 comments "The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you."
— Markus Zusak (The Book Thief)

"Maybe everyone can live beyond what they're capable of."
— Markus Zusak (I Am the Messenger)

message 41: by Alicia (last edited Apr 26, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

Alicia (Kalypso) | 214 comments "Think. Deliberate. Examine. Question. Embrace ideas, and believe that they matter at least as much as possessions, for knowledge has value far beyond its instrumental use. Live awake, and you will have had a better life than a sleepwalker."
~"The Executor" Jesse Kellerman

"These days, more than ever, I understand that nothing is more inscrutable than the human heart, and that no act, great or small, righteous or wicked, can be so named by one who stands outside the actor's mind."
~"The Executor" Jesse Kellerman

"The trouble with words is that no matter how much sense they make in theory, they can't change what you feel inside."
~"Beautiful Malice" Rebecca James

Anika | 106 comments I think this is a great idea for a thread, and wanted to start using it while reading books that are quote worthy!

Right now I am reading Jorge Luis Borges' Collected Fictions, and I find myself wanting to always have a highlighter in hand while reading. Here are some quotes that I liked:

"When I am dead, compassionate hands will throw me over the railing; my tomb will be the unfathomable air, my body will sink for ages, and will decay and dissolve in the wind engendered by my fall, which shall be infinite." (from The Library of Babel)

"...I suspect that the human species- the only species- teeters at the verge of extinction, yet that the Library- enlightened, solitary, infinite, perfectly unmoving, armed with precious volumes, pointless, incorruptible, and secret- will endure." (from The Library of Babel)

"Things duplicate themselves on Tlon; they also tend to grow vague or 'sketchy,' and to lose detail when they begin to be forgotten." (from Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius)

"I have said that the people of that planet conceive the universe as a series of mental processes that occur not in space but rather successively, in time." (from Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius)

"It is odd that the Secret did not die out long ago; but in spite of the world's vicissitudes, in spite or war and exoduses, it does, in its full awesomeness, come to all the faithful. Someone has even dared to claim that by now it is instinctive." (from The Cult of the Phoenix)

Kayla | 591 comments One of my favorite quotes comes from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, when Oskar Schell, a nine-year-old boy, comes up with a way to cuss without actually using cusswords.

"Succotash my Balzac, dipshiitake."

I don't know why, but I thought that was one of the most hilarious things I ever read.

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 2137 comments lol, Kayla thats awesome.

message 45: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Kayla wrote: "One of my favorite quotes comes from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, when Oskar Schell, a nine-year-old boy, comes up with a way to cuss without actually using cusswords.

"Succo..."

Hahah Kayla I read that to my boyfriend when I read that book and just DIED laughing. I still call him a dipshiitake to this day and I read that book 2 years ago. :)

Anika | 106 comments ‎"There is nothing remarkable about being immortal; with the exception of mankind, all creatures are immortal, for they know nothing of death. What is divine, terrible, and incomprehensible is to know oneself immortal."

Another Borges one. He is now officially one of my favorite writers :)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments Anika wrote: "‎"There is nothing remarkable about being immortal; with the exception of mankind, all creatures are immortal, for they know nothing of death. What is divine, terrible, and incomprehensible is to k..."

Wow, Anika that is amazing! What book is that from?

Anika | 106 comments It from a short story by Jorge Luis Borges called "The Immortal."

Kayla | 591 comments "That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet."

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

message 50: by Tami (last edited Sep 23, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

Tami | 2843 comments Mod
I just got through wasting time I mean, studiously studying the blog-o-sphere, and read through all of The Broke and The Bookish' quotes people posted on Top Ten Tuesday this week. I loved most of the posts, was intrigued by others, and yes, added some books to TBR just because of the quote. I love all the Harry Potter ones. I bet if we each posted our 10 favorites from the Harry Potter Series, we would have mostly different quotes from everyone.

« previous 1 3