The Book Addicts! discussion

"A Game of Thrones," Series > "A Sword of Storms," Book 3/SPOILER!

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (last edited Jul 25, 2011 10:52AM) (new)

Mary (Marbear) Blackburn (mbeth45) | 9430 comments Mod
This is the thread for the third book in the George R.R. Martin series. PLZ DO NOT READ PAST THIS POST IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE WHOLE BOOK.

marbear

Moon | 214 comments I confess that I wasn't really getting into this book until about the middle of the story. I think it was the point of the Red Wedding that I started enjoying the series again. It seemed awhile since important characters had died off so the death of Rob and Catelyn came as a shock after being lulled into a complacent lull that no more Starks were going to be killed off after Ned... although the epilogue proved something else.

I was a little disappointed though regarding Joffrey's death. A part of me hoped that he would end up as a crunchy dragon snack.

There was a bit of surprise that Tyrion killed his whore, despite the testimony against him in the trial. I didn't like her to be honest, and her attitude about Lolly's gang rape made me anxious for something bad to happen to her. And I suppose if the world believes you actually poisoned your nephew, the true murder of your father won't hurt matters.

Nelly (chaitea2) | 42 comments I'm confused. What happened to Bran's little brother--Rickon? Another thing that is bothering me: Did Catelyn ever know that Bran emerged from his coma? (I can't remember if that was book 1 or 2--I am now at the start of book 4). I don't think that's mentioned anywhere. For someone who supposedly is so devoted to her children, it's strange how she practically forgets about him once she leaves Winterfell.

Leslie T. (lat0403) | 173 comments Bran and Rickon split up in case they were caught. Rickon went with the wildling girl (I can't remember her name), while Bran went with Jojen and Meera. We never heard anything else about him after that.

I don't remember ever reading about Catelyn knowing Bran woke up, but I'm sure she did. Robb was at Winterfell when he awoke, so he would've told her if no one else had.

Angela | 5 comments OMG!!! Martin's killing everybody!!! I'm just over half way through, and 2 more of the main characters were just killed. Is anybody gonna be left?! If anybody else good dies in this book, I'm gonna throw it at the wall...well, not really, because I love my Kindle, but still. Someone please tell me it gets better. I don't know if I can keep reading this. I know there are more books in the series, but is there any of the main characters left?

Nelly (chaitea2) | 42 comments Angela wrote: "OMG!!! Martin's killing everybody!!! I'm just over half way through, and 2 more of the main characters were just killed. Is anybody gonna be left?! If anybody else good dies in this book, I'm go..."

It gets better or, at least, as good as it can get in one of these books! I'm in the middle of book 4 and am still hoping something really good will happen!

Michelle (marcher08) | 957 comments Kill, maim, scar not to mention mental distress, Martin is ruthless with his characters! I think that is part of what has gotten me hooked on this series. No one is safe. You even feel sorry for the bad guys now and then. I get the feeling no one is going to live happily ever after at the end of this series.

message 8: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Michelle. Just started book 3 tonight. There is alot of blood and gore but I luv the characters. Well I don't love all of them. LOL!

marbear

Michelle (marcher08) | 957 comments I'm almost finished (less than 100 pages). I was planning to read a few other books before Book 4 but now I'm not sure how long I can wait to see what happens to these characters.

message 10: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Michelle. I so understand. This is why I can't read "Les Misberles." But I keep telling myself to slow down because it will be years before the next book comes out. LOL!

marbear

message 11: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

I have 200 pages left. I can't believe he killed off Catelyn and Rob. I did love it when Joff died. I'm still
not sure who killed him but I don't think it was Tyrion. Although he should have. Don't tell me who did it. Why can't Martin kill off the Lannisters? LOL!

Marbear

Nelly (chaitea2) | 42 comments I want so much to respond but everything I want to say involves spoilers so all I can say is....read on!

Nelly (chaitea2) | 42 comments Michelle wrote: "I'm almost finished (less than 100 pages). I was planning to read a few other books before Book 4 but now I'm not sure how long I can wait to see what happens to these characters."

You won't be able to wait :)

Jessica | 31 comments I have to agree with what Michelle said...read on! After finishing the book, I have to say... poor Sansa. Just when you finally think she's getting a break. And how badly did I want Bran and Jon Snow to be reunited?!! That was so frustrating! And also with Sansa & Arya. Even if they have a bit of a tumultuous relationship, they've both been basically alone for so long. I heard that Daenerys basically isn't in the 4th book at all. Guess I'll have to read and see!!

message 15: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi Jessica. Daenaerys is the one character I just can't connect with. I hate to read her sections of the book. It bothers me that I feel this way.

Marbear

Nelly (chaitea2) | 42 comments MarBear wrote: "Hi Jessica. Daenaerys is the one character I just can't connect with. I hate to read her sections of the book. It bothers me that I feel this way.

Marbear"

Her sections get better. I felt that way too but she is an important character in the book so I tolerate her.

message 17: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Me too Nelly. Glad I'm not alone.

Marbear

message 18: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Hi. I only have 20 pages left. What a book. I'm so sad that the author killed Rob and Catelyn though. So sad that they didn't know the rest of the kids were actually still alive. Can't wait to finish it. I like my favorite character is Jon Snow.

marbear

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Finished Book 3 and have started book 4. Boy! A lot of people got killed in book 3! I thought something fishy was up, but I did not expect the Red Wedding!!!

I feel badly for poor Arya. That girl gets soooooooooo close to finding a relative. sooooo close. To think she is a little girl and has been living on her own for years now is terrible. I keep thinking she can at least find Nymeria again wandering around in the woods near that area so often. Of course, how could she be incognito with a direwolf....

I want to feel sorry for Sansa, but it's so hard. I try to tell myself she was just a kid, but so was Joffrey. Maybe Sansa will mature into a good person. She does want to please, that's for sure. She learned her manners well. If only she would have given Tyrion a chance, he could have been good to her.

I was NOT sorry to see the Lannisters finally start getting some tragedy and experiencing failures.

Ugh, Jaime, why does he want to become so sympathetic and honorable all of a sudden. It turns my stomach to see him change his ways. I want to hate, hate, hate him!

I am wondering, does anyone ever find happiness in the Seven Kingdoms?

Michelle (marcher08) | 957 comments Jill wrote: "Finished Book 3 and have started book 4. Boy! A lot of people got killed in book 3! I thought something fishy was up, but I did not expect the Red Wedding!!!

I feel badly for poor Arya. That..."

I think you hit on two of Martin's gifts as a writer. He is ruthless with his characters and throws in a completley unexpected twist now and then. No one is safe. Also, he can somehow get you to like the "bad guys" and hate the "good guys" Not nice to play with the reader that way Mr. Martin!

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Mr. Martin does play with us, doesn't he!

message 22: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

The ending of this book was so weird. When the dead Catelyn comes back from the dead. UGH. Poor woman.

Marbear

Jill (Jillybeans) | 4467 comments Mary, I was thinking, do people not stay dead anymore??? What is this? True Blood? Zombies?

message 24: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Me too Jill. That poor woman can't even just die. LOL! I was very sad when she and Robb were killed. They didn't even know the other children were really still alive.

Marbear

Jash Mehta | 1 comments i m not reading the books but i m watching the tv series. i heard that ned stark doesnt die because lord varys smuggled him out. is it true?

Christy Mcmahon (thing_2) | 1 comments Jash wrote: "i m not reading the books but i m watching the tv series. i heard that ned stark doesnt die because lord varys smuggled him out. is it true?"

No, that is 100% false.

Lory Sakay | 31 comments I just love these books. He has such a way of grabbing you and sucking you into this world. Watching the HBO interpretation is just dessert

Irene (Raenne) I finished this book a few days ago. That Catelyn thing in the end... Wow! What is this?!

My favorite character is Sanse. Seems like I'm the only one liking her lol

unread topics | mark unread