Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > a new Help document for reviewers

Comments (showing 51-83 of 83) (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13727 comments I agree, Morningstar. Now, who was it who volunteered to moderate said group?

message 52: by scherzo♫ (last edited Jul 23, 2011 04:21PM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 711 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I think that's an excellent idea for learning to write better reviews, but I doubt seriously that most of those who do not write reviews at all would be willing to join. ..."

One header/section could be hints for new reviewers which would preferably be less intimidating and more welcoming/encouraging.

The more extensive, instructive suggestions and examples could be separate.

Any one could read the suggestions and need only join the group if they want to comment or follow the discussions.

message 53: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2945 comments M0rningstar wrote: "Gundula wrote: "What about a link from the review page to a discussion group on how to write reviews, instead of an actual "help page" that lists suggestions etc. That would be both non-intrusive a..."

I think that might be a good compromise :-)

I would certainly join such a group, don't know about moderating, but I might be persuaded (that is if the group does not become like some of the recent discussions in the feedback section, lol).

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13727 comments Well, you know as moderator, you can be ultra strict. You have the power to delete posts and/or threads that get somewhat personal or stray completely off topic.

message 55: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2945 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Well, you know as moderator, you can be ultra strict. You have the power to delete posts and/or threads that get somewhat personal or stray completely off topic."

I will consider it, but I am not making any promises as of yet.

message 56: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3302 comments And so the conversation evolves again. I like how we keep thinking - and even the arguments are somewhat productive because we all are fans of goodreads and we're all trying to do what we think will be for the best!

I'd be glad to start a Group. I already suggested it once, in (I believe) the very first topic thread. (At that time I was hoping someone else would step up, but it's ok.) A few people there said they thought feedback was the appropriate group, but apparently they were mistaken, as nothing seems to be working well here.

So, let's see, choosing words very carefully, with Gundula's help especially because she articulated the idea here first, what shall we call it?

Does simply 'Writing Reviews' work? Or something like "Conversations about Writing Reviews' or 'Having Fun with the Writing of Reviews' or what? I'm really bad at stuff like this.

Tammy, Elizabeth(Alaska), pjreads, *anybody* who is interested is invited to *please* join!

message 57: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3302 comments Btw, Becky did answer my PM, and she says that we're welcome to use any of her ideas however we like. She was perfectly amiable. :)

message 58: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3302 comments Or "Stuck when Writing Reviews? Share Ideas here!"
Help!

message 59: by Manybooks (last edited Jul 23, 2011 04:55PM) (new)

Manybooks | 2945 comments What about a simple but fun title, something like "Discussions on How to Write Kick-Ass Reviews"

Hmm, that might offend some people, so perhaps "Goodreads Review Support Group." Other suggestions, please, please, please!!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13727 comments Review Writing Made Simple

Simple Review Writing

Review Help Line

More than just a Rating

message 61: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2945 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Review Writing Made Simple

Simple Review Writing

Review Help Line

More than just a Rating"

I like "Review Help Line" and "Review Writing Made Simple"

message 62: by Melissa (last edited Jul 23, 2011 05:01PM) (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Just FYI. There is a group out there called Creative Reviews. It's a broad group including authors, reviewers offering to review, and tips for writing reviews among other things.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 13727 comments Glad you mentioned this Melissa. Personally, I would not be interested in participating in that type of group. As much as I'm willing to just jump in most places, that one seems a bit intimidating to even me.

message 64: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Glad you mentioned this Melissa. Personally, I would not be interested in participating in that type of group. As much as I'm willing to just jump in most places, that one seems a bit intimidating ..."

Well yes. It actually didn't seem like something I was ready to jump into either. And the scope of the group is pretty diverse as well, not just focused on approaches to writing reviews.

message 65: by Tammy (last edited Jul 23, 2011 06:52PM) (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 99 comments I think a group would be a great idea, and I'd be happy to join it. :)

eta: I also liked the names "Review Help Line" and "Review Writing Made Simple" or even "GoodReads Review Support Group".

Anything that makes it easy to find if you're looking for that kind of help.

message 66: by Justin (new)

Justin South (justinsouth) | 8 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: This topic is for people who want to discuss the *content* of a help topic for community members 1) who are looking for suggestions about writing reviews and 2) who would like to be able to either search the help

Hi Cheryl, I find the following a tremendous resource of prompts and reminders: http://libraries.dal.ca/writing_and_s...

A gold rule is that reviews should maintain civility and cordiality towards the author.

As for a name, 'Review Writing - Helpful Suggestions' maybe?

message 67: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3302 comments Thanks for the thoughts Justin. I think we'll have a topic for links to sites such as the one you've shared. Personally, I find those particular recommendations much too confining and intimidating, but other people might like it.

And yes, I'm sure we'll have some simple golden rule about respect or civility.

Thanks for all the ideas folks - I'm glad we're going to be able to go forward with this!

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 21 comments I like the way this idea developed, seems more of the kind of "help" I would appreciate. Just grab that moderator baton Cheryl and Gundula, I'm in!

Gundula wrote: "What about a simple but fun title, something like "Discussions on How to Write Kick-Ass Reviews"..."

I really like this title, it grabs you! I think it would attract anyone browsing through but "support group" kind of reminds me of therapy (MIJM).

Perhaps this group could have "reference" library since there are so many individuals who have first hand knowledge they could make recommendations and add books.

...and a discussion thread devoted to the kinds of links Justin shared.

message 69: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "kind of reminds me of therapy (MIJM). "

Um . . . what's MIJM?

message 70: by Susan (last edited Jul 24, 2011 01:51AM) (new)

Susan I'm a little shy about writing reviews....something I intend to work on, and it is nice to think there could be helpful hints and tips on hand to work from.
However, one of the fantastic things about G.R., is the diversity I find in the reviews of a book I'm interested in. Everything from a few words, to full, in depth critical essays. I like the humorous approach, and the serious, and take with a pinch of salt those which have a lecturing tone.
These reviews are, in themselves, helpful in giving ideas to budding review writers, but as I said, tips and ideas would be good,just as long as the didn't stifle individuality, by making people think reviews should only be written in one or two particular ways.

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 21 comments Melissa wrote: "Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "kind of reminds me of therapy (MIJM). "

Um . . . what's MIJM?"

Sorry, Maybe it's just me.

message 72: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 2945 comments Susan wrote: "I'm a little shy about writing reviews....something I intend to work on, and it is nice to think there could be helpful hints and tips on hand to work from.
However, one of the fantastic things abo..."

I think that's why having a discussion group would be better than a list of suggestions, or do''s and don'ts.

message 73: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "kind of reminds me of therapy (MIJM). "

Um . . . what's MIJM?"

Sorry, Maybe it's just me."

Aha! (My lack of texting experience is showing)

message 74: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments Don't feel bad Melissa--I didn't know what it meant either.

message 75: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 944 comments I don't object to a group for review writing discussions, but I don't think it should replace a help topic. Group discussions so frequently wander off topic. That's not always a bad thing, but the actual tips could become lost or obscured by other posts. Or the discussion becomes so lengthy that it's intimidating.

I still think we need a help topic that is controlled by GR and is fairly static. It should be short, generic, and as non-intimidating as possible.

message 76: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3302 comments Thanks Betsy. Maybe the group will come up with a draft we can agree on, that is indeed "short, generic, non-intimidating" and encouraging, especially of individuality.

Meanwhile two notes - first, I'm heading out of town tomorrow for 3-4 days, so as of about 6 hours from now I'll not be online. Second, I want to set up a Poll here for the name of the group and would love more suggestions/ideas.

re' group name: Please note we *don't* want to have 'How To' in the title because that would tend to imply the stifling of creativity, and we'd have to be careful how we use the word 'Help' because we don't want to imply we're experts and new members are incompetent.

message 77: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3302 comments Tx SteamyWindows for the idea of having a thread for links like Justin's, and a 'library. Please, everyone, anything else you think the group should include or do, please share! I'm volunteering to host it and to try to keep it active, fun and cordial, but it's *not* 'my' group!

I've got some ideas already. One I'm not sure about - how do you-all feel about a folder that's simply set up with pointers to some examples of favorite reviews? And if we do set it up, do we point to reviews only on goodreads, or should we feel free to point to external blogs and professional reviews?

message 78: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3302 comments The poll has been submitted, and according to the instructions it will be available after midnight (Pacific time USA, 2.5 hours from now.) I can't link directly to it now, since it's not up, but if you go to goodreads.com/poll you should see it. The first word in the question is "Review" and then I give context for the question. So, what do you think would be the best name for the group we're planning? Go vote! :)

message 79: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8689 comments Cheryl, I don't see it. Could you please provide a link when you get a chance? Thanks.

message 81: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8689 comments pjreads ♫ wrote: "Link to poll:

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/52..."

Thank you, pjreads.

message 82: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) | 433 comments I'd like to suggest that instead of a help document that you have what I've seen on other sites and that's a way to turn on "hints" if you want them. In the review box you would have the option to turn on hints that you could refer to while you're writing your review. The default setting would be that hints are turned off so as not to bother anyone who doesn't want to see them. The group you're discussing could be a link within the hints screen.

message 83: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3302 comments The goodreads Group "More than Just a Rating" is up and ready for members. Please note that I will be actively moderating it - read the description and rules carefully please! Also, if you feel I made any mistakes setting it up or you have questions, please PM me. See you there!

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread