What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Children's/YA-SOLVED > Girl is chosen as one of the tributes to the minotaur [x]

Comments (showing 1-15)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 202 comments You're very welcome! Glad we could finally find information on this one for you!

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 149 comments Thanks again! This proves Ariadne and the Magic Thread is definately the story I'm looking for. Thanks! :)

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 202 comments Also just found a link indicating that this story WAS serialized in the Houston Chronicle in 2004:

Searching through their archive, it seemed to have printed from 5/13/2004 - 6/24/2004.

message 12: by Danielle (last edited Aug 21, 2011 07:49AM) (new)

Danielle | 149 comments Rebecca wrote: "Here's another possibility:
Ariadne and the Magic Thread by Mike Peterson. More info here:

In the left sidebar, in ..."

Oh my gosh! I just read the sample chapters and that really sounds like the story and I didn't realize how much I didn't remember of the story. Hmm now I just have figure out how to get my hands on copy to be absolutely certain. I am moving this to possibly solved. Thanks so much for your help! :)

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 202 comments Here's another possibility:
Ariadne and the Magic Thread by Mike Peterson. More info here:

In the left sidebar, in the "About Mike Peterson" section, it says:
His serial stories have appeared in newspapers throughout the United States as well as in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Bermuda.

The site looks like it has the first 3 chapters available for you to look at and see if this looks familiar.

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (liralin) | 202 comments Maybe: Ariadne: The Maiden and the Minotaur by Jennifer Cook? I haven't read this myself, so I can't say how close it follows, but it's a version of the Minotaur tale told from the perspective of the princess.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 149 comments Bump! :)

message 8: by Danielle (last edited Jul 29, 2011 12:15PM) (new)

Danielle | 149 comments This is also not it but thanks! I have found yet another book to add to my to read list, so thank you.

message 7: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ThisIsThatVeryMab) | 72 comments Could it be Lost in the Labyrinth by Patrice Kindl?

Here is a review of it from School Library Journal:

"Grade 6-10-Kindl retells the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur through the perceptive eyes of Xenodice, the younger sister of Ariadne. In this inventive version, no Athenians are killed by the Minotaur, who is gentle despite his monstrous appearance, unless provoked. Xenodice loves and tries to protect her human/bull brother, not only from the harshly heroic Theseus, but also from the schemes of her own family. The author artfully includes many elements of the legend while at the same time creating a fully realized and original setting. Xenodice elegantly narrates the events, introducing characters and providing background information without disrupting the flow of the storytelling. Early on, she acts more as an observer than a participant in events, and her automatic obedience to the strong-willed Ariadne hides the courage she shows later. The story becomes more involving when Xenodice herself takes a more active role, attempting a midnight rescue of her brother and later helping Daedalus and Icarus (whom she loves) make their winged escape attempt. Readers who know the legend will enjoy the parallels and contrasts that occur throughout, but the strong storytelling lets Xenodice's tale stand on its own, as well."

Good luck! : )

message 6: by Danielle (last edited Jul 28, 2011 08:03PM) (new)

Danielle | 149 comments Thanks for the link. It got me started on serching for the book. I didn't find anything else on the houston chronicle. I only way I see figureing it out is I found online it said you could go to the houston public library and look at microfilm for past entire newspapers. Sadly I really can't see myself going that far to find out just the name of a story so I'm saveing that as a last resort.

You are right brittany I should try to call or email them. I bet that would work. Thanks for your help. :)

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (weareattached) | 76 comments http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/arc... In Amendment of Life? This is all I found in their archives...You could probably e-mail or call the newspaper and they would be able to tell you.

message 4: by Danielle (last edited Jul 27, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

Danielle | 149 comments No that's not it. It was told from the point of view of the girl. I added the book you suggested to my to-read list since it looked interesting. Thanks

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellemulford) | 112 comments Possibly The Arkadians? The Goodreads description isn't long, but the reviews have more info.

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 149 comments Oh this story was in the newspaper about 2004. The newspaper was the houston chronicle.

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 149 comments My newspaper used to have a daily story that was in the paper for kids to read and answer questions on. They would publish a chapter a day. The story I remember reading was basicly a retelling about the tributes that would be sent to the minotaur. In the story one of the chosen was the daughter of a king, she is also the main character. For some reason I don't remember all the tributes end up on an island in the mediterranian before they are sent to the island with the minotaur. I am thinking a shipwreck? She meets a boy among the tributes I'm not sure if they end up likeing each other. They explore the island and they find something but I can't remember. Any help would be appreciated, because I would really like to go and read the story in its entirety. Thanks! :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Arkadians (other topics)
Lost in the Labyrinth (other topics)
Ariadne: The Maiden and the Minotaur (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patrice Kindl (other topics)